Author Topic: Hitting the rear delts, upper back  (Read 7394 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Hitting the rear delts, upper back
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »
What exercises hit the upper back and rear delts? thanks!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Hitting the rear delts, upper back
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 06:38:02 PM »

face pulls
seated low rows
wide grip chins and lat pull downs
bent over barbell rows
etc.

experiment and find which ones you feel hit them the best and stick with them.. no secret there. and no low rows are not seated cable rows though similar

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
bent over lateral raises and reverse pec deck for rear delt

upright rows and shrugs for upper back

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:19:35 PM »
All good choices.
Here’s a few more that focus more on rear delts, though I suppose you’ll still use at least some upper back:

Try doing barbell rows with your torso resting on a bench set at a slight incline. Taking a very wide grip, pull the bar into your body. Don’t try using the same weight you work with doing regular bb rows. Start lighter. The wider grip will stress the rear delts a bit more than using a standard grip.

Reverse cable crossovers on a flat bench set inside a cable station are not my favorite, but are still nice to do once in a while - a bit cumbersome to set up, especially during peak gym times.

My old gym had a plate loaded machine for doing seated lateral raises.
By bending over at a 90 degree angle and resting your head on the back of the seat and your elbows on the pads you had a perfect setup for doing machine rear lateral raises. 

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »

I'm shooting a bunch more today. Some rehab stuff as well.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »
Hitting the rear delts and upper back together:

One arm DB row, bracing the free hand against whatever. Keep the elbow wide out and in line with the shoulders.  If doing the BB version, than wide grip, and again, keep the elbows in line with the shoulders.

Hi-pulls to about nipple high. Either BB or DB. Also Behind the Neck chins, trying to touch the back of the neck each rep. The wider the grip on most back exercises can influence the rear delts more. A middle to narrow grips seems to activate the lats and back more for most people. In any case, try different hand spacing at first to see what gets it done for you. Every one's body mechanics and responses are different.   Hand spacing can also apply to face pulls, though most guy's do it like the video points out, allowing the towel to expand the grip. Face pulls, any way done, can be a very good movement.

Hitting the rear delts: though as we all know no muscle group can be isolated or separate  from any surrounding or even opposite muscle group. But better focus can usually be achieved from some exercises.

Reverse Pec Dec. Keeping the elbows high and in line with the shoulders. And the one arm DB bent over rear raise. Lot of guy's like to swing the DB up, in this position. Seems to work very well for them. Thats called cheating. But than again, if it brings more muscle size to you....so what?  Good Luck.
F

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
good stuf, thanks guys.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
deadlifts, rows, shrugs

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Hitting the rear delts: though as we all know no muscle group can be isolated or separate  from any surrounding or even opposite muscle group. But better focus can usually be achieved from some exercises.

Truer words have never been written.
Very well put, jpm.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »
High pulls, cleans, heavy DB rows are all good choices.  I've also noticed some good pumps in that area when I do heavy standing DB presses.
Squishy face retard

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
whats your guys take on high rows and shoulder impingment? I love upright rows but they kill my shoulders and the vid that you posted coach while it doesnt look like it would be as bad as upright rows it still looks like i would feet it in my shoulders.

Any opinions

i got alot of results from power cleans for my upper back

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:44:36 AM »
High pulls, cleans, heavy DB rows are all good choices. 

I concur.

One arm DB rows and any sort of high pull/upright row works the best IMO.

8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »
whats your guys take on high rows and shoulder impingment? I love upright rows but they kill my shoulders and the vid that you posted coach while it doesnt look like it would be as bad as upright rows it still looks like i would feet it in my shoulders.

Any opinions

i got alot of results from power cleans for my upper back

Change your hand spacing and elbow position around on the upright rows, most people do not perform them correctly. i used to have shoulder pains from them until i learned the perfect "groove".

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:23 AM »
Yes, do change hand positions as OverLoad suggest. Keeping in mind the wider the grip, the more the delts come into play. Might also keep in mind that most shoulder discomfort, with regards to any version of the up-right row (including Hi-Pulls) is when the bar is allowed to travel too far away from the body (too stressful on the shoulder joints). Should be near or almost touching the body on the way up and down. Can also do a sitting version, where the bar is on the lap. Try an EZ bar if having wrist problems with any form of up-right rows.

The one arm DB up-right row can be an excellent movement for traps and delts. Also much easier on some peoples wrist (even when using a EZ bar).  Applies also to the DB HI-pull, which I view as a much better version of the DB Up-right row.

For pure BB'in, alternate the right and left hand , without any rest between sets. With a regular or EZ bar, consider Pre-Exhausting the area, doing a set of shrugs followed right away with a set of Up-right rows/Hi-pulls. Good Luck.
F

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:23 PM »
deadlifts.  I've built more muscle on my upper back/rear delts from deadlifting then I did while specializing on rear delt training.  I don't even do it anymore.  But, I row a lot too.  But I would say, deadlifts.