Author Topic: I CANNOT NAME nor have EVER MET an Intelligent Religious Person.  (Read 21071 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: I CANNOT NAME nor have EVER MET an Intelligent Religious Person.
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
You can also add William James to the list. His writings were the main influence behind pragmatism, and his theories are still felt in the psychological world to this day. I would also venture an opinion that he was more intellegent then Freud or Jung, but I realize I am most likely in the minortiy in that regard.

M!
More intelligent is just a relative term when talking about such men. And no he's not forgotten! And let's not forget he was brother to Henry James, and while not an academic per ce, Henry was one of the most astute observers of human nature.  :)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
hmmm

what's scarier? A Religious Zealot or a Atheist Fanatic.

I would go with Atheist fanatic, a religious person will shut the hell up. An atheist like we have seen here never shuts up  ::)

I agree with 240 here. I'm not religious, I do have a belief though. I can take account of what scientific progress we have made. We all know it takes time to develop everything. We are bodybuilding here, look how long it takes to develop your body. Look how long it has taken man and the rest of the universe to develop into what it is today.

I can't agree with the the timeline given in the religious books. The religious books are there for wisdom. Unfortunately some take it literally and they are ridiculed because of it. It gives religion a bad image. Religion isn't screwed it's the people.

Atheist are about if not more so annoying than the pain in the ass Jehovah's Witness knocking on your door before you take a shit.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
I can take account of what scientific progress we have made.

Look at what people believed 500 years ago.  The universe revolved around earth, the sun was a god, etc.

imagine how they'll be laughing at us in 500 years!

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
Look at what people believed 500 years ago.  The universe revolved around earth, the sun was a god, etc.

imagine how they'll be laughing at us in 500 years!
What I'm laughing at is a guy with no job who's wife/girlfriend supports the family. A guy who really can't find himself, has endless hours on the internet and comes accross as the biggest know-it-all i've ever seen. With all that time, use it a little more wisely. 240...so bright yet so lost.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
What I'm laughing at is a guy with no job who's wife/girlfriend supports the family. A guy who really can't find himself, has endless hours on the internet and comes accross as the biggest know-it-all i've ever seen. With all that time, use it a little more wisely. 240...so bright yet so lost.

240 is a teacher.
I hate the State.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »

LOL
HAHA, RON.....

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
Discuss.

It think questions like that arise because of a few simple misconceptions:

- religion is equal to a simple-minded form of christian fundamentalism,
- rationality is equal to the scientific method,
- science competes with religion.

The original claim is absurd of course. Todays posterboys for atheism (Dawkins, Atkins, Sagan, etc.) would neither stand a chance against the great religious thinkers nor against serious religious critics like the great philosphers.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
He was not the head as in head of research.  He held nothing but an Administration position.  He did no direct work on the project whatsoever.

I can see why you can't name an intelligent religious person. It's because you are an idiot. Held nothing but an "Administration" position? The guy was the head of the project. The head of research is his subordinate.

Now, to dispel your notion that he never did any direct scientific work with DNA, here is a little bit of info for you:

In college Collins found biology boring and trained as a chemist, only to become a physician and then a famed gene hunter at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he identified the gene for cystic fibrosis and helped find the gene for Huntington's disease.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/feb/interview-francis-collins

You are wrong.

Now, lets say he only held an "administrative" position. The man is still more qualified than you to speak about most scientific subjects. When it comes to science, he is more intelligent than you. I doubt you would argue with that, but if you want to make your case, go ahead. It should make for a good laugh.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »
anyone who can ignore scientific evidence and believes the fairy tales presented in the "bible" can never be described as intelligent.

Please, tell me quaker-- what do YOU know of science? (besides what u hear on tv)

::)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
Religion IS NOT ONLY monotheistic BS like islam, christianity etc, Adam.
There are endless intelligent people in religion, especially in buddhism.
Hope this helps.

Buddhism can be just as much BS as christianity, it all depends.
Some of the greatest thinkers of all time were christians. Some were buddhists. It would be ignorant to make such a distinction.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
Some of the greatest thinkers of all time were christians. Some were buddhists. It would be ignorant to make such a distinction.

Sure you are right, i just wanted to stir up TA a bit.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »

However ,I find that the basic tenets of Buddhism in their core better reflect a rational, empirical view of existence whereas Christianity at its core is filled with all sorts of ludicrous and miraculous claims that have nothing to do with life or existence; in Christianity there is nothing like the Four Noble Truths (all of which can be deduced and confirmed empirically through life experience).
I hate the State.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »
Please, tell me quaker-- what do YOU know of science? (besides what u hear on tv)

::)
sounds like i hurt "boonstacks" feelings, he must believe in Noah's Ark, The Ten Commandments and that the world is only 6,000 years old. :D

gymguy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 01:11:15 PM »
Topic is too lame to discuss.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 01:13:49 PM »
However ,I find that the basic tenets of Buddhism in their core better reflect a rational, empirical view of existence whereas Christianity at its core is filled with all sorts of ludicrous and miraculous claims that have nothing to do with life or existence; in Christianity there is nothing like the Four Noble Truths (all of which can be deduced and confirmed empirically through life experience).

You will be able to find the Noble Truths in the bible as well.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
sounds like i hurt "boonstacks" feelings, he must believe in Noah's Ark, The Ten Commandments and that the world is only 6,000 years old. :D
What's even worse is that someone decided that Eddy Robinson was a good cast choice for The Ten Commandments.  ::)    :D

/'i'm the boss, here, see...'

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:38 PM »
He was not the head as in head of research.  He held nothing but an Administration position.  He did no direct work on the project whatsoever.

his book was also terrible and his main argument was morality which is firmly established in social psychology/evolutionary psychology.

his line of reasoning was we have a moral compass=god did it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
I can see why you can't name an intelligent religious person. It's because you are an idiot. Held nothing but an "Administration" position? The guy was the head of the project. The head of research is his subordinate.

Now, to dispel your notion that he never did any direct scientific work with DNA, here is a little bit of info for you:

In college Collins found biology boring and trained as a chemist, only to become a physician and then a famed gene hunter at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he identified the gene for cystic fibrosis and helped find the gene for Huntington's disease.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/feb/interview-francis-collins

You are wrong.

Now, lets say he only held an "administrative" position. The man is still more qualified than you to speak about most scientific subjects. When it comes to science, he is more intelligent than you. I doubt you would argue with that, but if you want to make your case, go ahead. It should make for a good laugh.
In college he was also an atheist. :)

He held nothing but an administration position for the Genome Project. FACT.

P.S. I have that issue of Discover Magazine. :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
You will be able to find the Noble Truths in the bible as well.

Not as an all encompassing basic philosophical principle...in the Bible and in Christianity in general you have to cherry pick to get any 'truth' whereas in Buddhism it is inherent in the foundational principles of the stream of thought itself.
I hate the State.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
hmmm

what's scarier? A Religious Zealot or a Atheist Fanatic.

Atheist are about if not more so annoying than the pain in the ass Jehovah's Witness knocking on your door before you take a shit.

You are wrong. People who murder in the name of "god" and "jesus" are far more dangerous than an atheist trying to talk sense. Most atheists aren't even public like christians, muslims or whatever, so I don't know how you go comparing atheists to idiots who knock on your door and ask for contributions.  ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
What's even worse is that someone decided that Eddy Robinson was a good cast choice for The Ten Commandments.  ::)    :D

/'i'm the boss, here, see...'
Or Ronnie casting himself as Moses for the 2006 Mr. Olympia.  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
You are wrong. People who murder in the name of "god" and "jesus" are far more dangerous than an atheist trying to talk sense. Most atheists aren't even public like christians, muslims or whatever, so I don't know how you go comparing atheists to idiots who knock on your door and ask for contributions.  ::)

Also It affects all of our policies regarding disease, medicine, technological progress, enviromental issues, scientific progress, etc...

When the truth is available, it makes no sense to believe in something false, especially when it will effect many more people.

Religion and Faith( the unwarranted belief with no evidence) are viruses.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »
Also It affects all of our policies regarding disease, medicine, technological progress, enviromental issues, scientific progress, etc...

When the truth is available, it makes no sense to believe in something false, especially when it will effect many more people.

Religion and Faith( the unwarranted belief with no evidence) are viruses.

Good point, TA. Religion NEEDS to be called out because it has such negatives as its believers disputing a woman's right to choose, and trying to impede the progress of certain types of medical science.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
Religious belief is about fear, indoctrination, and need...

That's what it is perverted to by ideologists. Religion, or better, spirituality is quite the opposite.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
Not as an all encompassing basic philosophical principle...in the Bible and in Christianity in general you have to cherry pick to get any 'truth' whereas in Buddhism it is inherent in the foundational principles of the stream of thought itself.

I agree.