Author Topic: I had shoulder surgery on August 5, 2008  (Read 12178 times)

Jimmy L

• Getbig II
I had shoulder surgery on August 5, 2008
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »
I had shoulder surgery on August 5, 2008. My doc suspected before surgery that I had frozen shoulder and a partial supraspinatus tear. He decided that this surgery he would do nothing about the partial supraspinatus tear but would only clean out the adhesions in the shoulder by doing an anterior capsular release. He said once I get my full range of motion back if I still had pain he would do the supraspinatus repair in a few months.

Here is a cliff notes version of my surgery report:

Postoperative diagnosis: Arthrofibrosis right shoulder.

Operation: Right shoulder arthroscopy, lysis of adhesions, anterior capsular release, manipulation under anesthesia.

Procedure: I'll just get to the meat and potatoes of the report:

...The posterior portal was created and the arthroscope was inserted into the glenohumeral joint... Anterior, inferior, and posterior labrum were intact. He is status post repair of a posterior labral tear and this was intact. The subscapularis tendon was intact. The supraspinatus was evaluated and there was a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the medial aspect of the footprint...This was left as-is. The anterior portal was created under direct visualization and a lysis of adhesions was performed using a 3.5 full radius shaver. An anterior capsular release was then performed sparring the subscapularis tendon with a Vulcan chisel. A good anterior capsular release was obtained...The arthroscope was then placed in the subacromial space and the anterolateral portal was created under direct visulaization. A bursectomy was performed. This was done with the OR Tech electrothermal device. There was no anterior acromial spur. The rotator cuff was evaluated from its bursal side and found to be intact...The arthoscope was than removed. The shoulder was than manipulated, 180 degrees of forward elevation could be obtained, 130 degrees of abduction, and 45 degrees of external rotation (with the elbow at the side) were obtained.

So what do you fellas think? Can anyone explain to me the part I underlined? What kind of partial rotator cuff tear is that?

Anyone who knows my past problems with this shoulder knows I've been to hell and back with this injury.

Jimmy L

• Getbig II
Re: I had shoulder surgery on August 5, 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
...The supraspinatus was evaluated and there was a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the medial aspect of the footprint...

I talked to my doc the other day and he said if after I get my range of motion back and get back into rotator cuff strengthening if I still have pain than he will do surgery to repair my partial thickness supraspinatus tear. He said I'd be in a sling for 6 weeks and physical therapy (stretching and rotator cuff strengthening) for about 3 months. He said I probably wouldn't be able to start weightlifting until 3 or 4 months post surgery.

Here is what it said in my surgery report regarding the entire rotator cuff:

...The subscapularis tendon was intact...The supraspinatus was evaluated and there was a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the medial aspect of the footprint...The rotator cuff was evaluated from its bursal side and found to be intact...

So what do you guys think of this surgery report? And is surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff usually a successful procedure?

BTW, I asked my doc these questions, I just want to see what you fellas think.

Jimmy L

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Anyone?

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
I had shoulder surgery on August 5, 2008. My doc suspected before surgery that I had frozen shoulder and a partial supraspinatus tear. He decided that this surgery he would do nothing about the partial supraspinatus tear but would only clean out the adhesions in the shoulder by doing an anterior capsular release. He said once I get my full range of motion back if I still had pain he would do the supraspinatus repair in a few months. Since the surgery was recent, you can expect to be doing just passive rehab until you reach either 80-90% ROM or full ROM (or until the insurance says your sessions are up, haha).

Here is a cliff notes version of my surgery report:

Postoperative diagnosis: Arthrofibrosis right shoulder.

Operation: Right shoulder arthroscopy, lysis of adhesions, anterior capsular release, manipulation under anesthesia.

Procedure: I'll just get to the meat and potatoes of the report:

...The posterior portal was created and the arthroscope was inserted into the glenohumeral joint... Anterior, inferior, and posterior labrum were intact. He is status post repair of a posterior labral tear and this was intact. The subscapularis tendon was intact. The supraspinatus was evaluated and there was a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon off the medial aspect of the footprint...This was left as-is. The anterior portal was created under direct visualization and a lysis of adhesions was performed using a 3.5 full radius shaver. An anterior capsular release was then performed sparring the subscapularis tendon with a Vulcan chisel. A good anterior capsular release was obtained...The arthroscope was then placed in the subacromial space and the anterolateral portal was created under direct visulaization. A bursectomy was performed. This was done with the OR Tech electrothermal device. There was no anterior acromial spur. The rotator cuff was evaluated from its bursal side and found to be intact...The arthoscope was than removed. The shoulder was than manipulated, 180 degrees of forward elevation could be obtained, 130 degrees of abduction, and 45 degrees of external rotation (with the elbow at the side) were obtained.

So what do you fellas think? Can anyone explain to me the part I underlined? What kind of partial rotator cuff tear is that?

Anyone who knows my past problems with this shoulder knows I've been to hell and back with this injury.

All the underlined is referring to in laymens is you have a tear in supraspinatus on the medial (side) of the footprint (meaning the site of the insertion point)