Author Topic: Are rotary cuff exercises absolutely necesary?  (Read 5093 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Are rotary cuff exercises absolutely necesary?
« on: August 31, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »
Should they be done without exception? ???
I hate the State.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Are rotary cuff exercises absolutely necesary?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »
I have damaged my shoulders more than once.
I rc exercises only as part of rehab
I find a shoulder/pec stretch with 7 1/2 pound weights after I have benched seems to do the trick for keeping my shoulders healthy.
And of course a decent warm up, another thing is I do a range of motion that fits my biomechanics.
I concentrate more on where my elbows are and the stretch I feel in the targeted muscle group than on getting the bar to my chest.

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »

Yes. I'm doing a complete sequence of rotator cuff exercises that will be on youtube and my site. I will post on here when they are done.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:08:41 AM »
Yes.

i do them 2-3 times a week.

together with shoulders, after chest and sometimes on leg day.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:13:47 AM »
I should look into doing some exercises for them. I always warm up my delts good, but i guess i almost forget about my rotator cuffs. You always hear of people damaging or having problems with they're rotator cuffs, makes sense to warm them up, keep them "healthy".
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:02:27 AM »
Rotator Cuff muscles = Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapularis, and Teres Minor.

Supraspinatus - Initiates abduction at shoulder, and is a lateral rotator of the humerus.

Infraspinatus - Also a lateral rotator of the humerus.

Subscapularis - Medially rotates and adducts the humerus at shoulder.

Teres Minor - Rotates the humerus laterally and weakly adducts at shoulder.

The tendons blend with the joint capsule and form a musculotendinous collar that surrounds the poster, superior, and anterior aspects of the glenohumeral joint.  They draw the humeral head toward the glenoid fossa, strengthening the glenohumeral joint.

I don't bother training them, but its gonna be in my exam tomorrow.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:07:13 AM »
Rotator Cuff muscles = Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapularis, and Teres Minor.

Supraspinatus - Initiates abduction at shoulder, and is a lateral rotator of the humerus.

Infraspinatus - Also a lateral rotator of the humerus.

Subscapularis - Medially rotates and adducts the humerus at shoulder.

Teres Minor - Rotates the humerus laterally and weakly adducts at shoulder.

The tendons blend with the joint capsule and form a musculotendinous collar that surrounds the poster, superior, and anterior aspects of the glenohumeral joint.  They draw the humeral head toward the glenoid fossa, strengthening the glenohumeral joint.

I don't bother training them, but its gonna be in my exam tomorrow.

What are you studying?

That shit looks/sounds familar  :D
No doubt about it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:35 AM »
What are you studying?

That shit looks/sounds familar  :D

Regional, Neuro and Applied Anatomy is one of the courses in my uni program. 

The muscular shit should go alright, just the neuroanatomy that's pretty intense.

You doing/done something similar?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:40:34 AM »
Regional, Neuro and Applied Anatomy is one of the courses in my uni program. 

The muscular shit should go alright, just the neuroanatomy that's pretty intense.

You doing/done something similar?

Kinda, Personal Training an tafe. Anatomy and physiology is a pretty big component of the course. It wouldn't be as in depth as yours, afterall, we're only tafe students... :D
No doubt about it...

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »

Ask anybody who's torn a rotator cuff and gone through 6-18 months of rehab to get it back to 100%, they all wish they'd spent the 2-5 minutes each workout warming them up and keeping them strong.  I used to train a guy who had torn his rotator cuff back in 1990, and post-surgery he still wasn't back to even 60% almost 20 years later.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 05:38:01 AM »
Kinda, Personal Training an tafe. Anatomy and physiology is a pretty big component of the course. It wouldn't be as in depth as yours, afterall, we're only tafe students... :D

Bloody tafe students!! haha ;D 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
I just had a horrible pull of my left side rotator cuff.  Thankfully it didn't tear, but it was bad enough that I've been out of the gym for over a week now.  I always warm them up and do RC work 2 times a week (chest and shoulder days) and still had a problem with it.  That side has been giving me problems for years though and I just pushed myself a bit too hard doing dips on the day I injured it.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing RC work, you'll thank yourself because an RC injury is one of the worst to have.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:05:12 AM »
i do them. doesnt take long or require a lot of effort so why not
Z

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
can you give me an example of such an excercise? is a lateral arm raise considered a cuff strengthening movement?
G

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »
can you give me an example of such an excercise? is a lateral arm raise considered a cuff strengthening movement?

Internal and external rotations are probably the most common rotator cuff exercises.  For an external rotation, put your elbow in at your side, and bend your arm so that your forearm is parallel to the floor.  Keeping your elbow in at your side, rotate your forearm out to the side so that it is straight out perpendicular to your body.  Internal rotation is the exact opposite.  These are most commonly done with resistance tubing or cables, but can be done with dumbbells as well.

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »

I'm almost done with my youtube series on rotator cuff exercises, stay tuned. But there are a ton of exercises for RC strengthening besides the normal passive movements.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »
consider it insurance for your shoulders..

so to answer your question.. absofuckinglutely.. doing them has CONSISTENTLy saved my shoulders time and time again. When i tweak them or they feel bit out of it.. doing a little extra therapy pays HUGE dividends and having come back from two pressing injuries now, i do them daily and my shoulders have never felt better!