Author Topic: hernia help please!!!  (Read 3756 times)

bigdarksnake

• Getbig II
hernia help please!!!
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
I got a small umbilical hernia (maybe 2.5 cm diameter), and was wondering if I should get it repaired, or should I wait and see if it stays the same? Does surgery alter abs appearance? Does mesh block abs? How long is healing time? Was it covered by insurance (if not what is the cost)? Should I go anesthetic free (Is is painful?) Please help guys. Thanks.

LifePlusFitness

• Getbig I
Re: hernia help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I got a small umbilical hernia (maybe 2.5 cm diameter), and was wondering if I should get it repaired, or should I wait and see if it stays the same? Does surgery alter abs appearance? Does mesh block abs? How long is healing time? Was it covered by insurance (if not what is the cost)? Should I go anesthetic free (Is is painful?) Please help guys. Thanks.
I too have ad a small hernia. The mesh could be the best way to go if you are a male. The doctor just stitched together the skin that had seperated. It took me 1 week before I could really go back to work and 2-3 weeks before I could start lifting a little weight again. Your doctor will tell you for sure how long it will take to heal. Surgery didn't hurt and didn't alter my abdominal appearance. It is just a little scare you can't even notice. :)

I wish you the best.

If you need any more advice or have any more questions let me know.

I hope this helps those that are in need.

Best of luck.
Michelle
Certified Personal Fitness Trainer
http://www.lifeplusfitness.com

bigdarksnake

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
Thank you so much. How did you get back to lifting? Gradually adding weights in? Or just started lifting full force right away? Also can I do cardio after a week or so?

How did you find your doc? I live in FL.

Any advise or tips?

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:32 AM »
Hernias dont heal by themselves and get worse with age.
Have it sorted out now.
When I had mine done they never had the mesh and as I was in the army at that time, we used to get doctors who where learning to practice on us LOL
So I have a massive scar across my right hand side ab.

Get it repaired, heal right, then carry on with your life

bigdarksnake

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
thanks for the advice.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »
Yeah man i would def. get it taken care of.

When i was 15 i had a scrotal hernia and didnt do anything with it and kept on lifting for about 1 year, It just got worse/PAINFUL with time then i had it taken care of and after about a month i was lifting and wrestling again. Still have a pretty deep scar on my lower abdomen though.

But oh well atleast the hernia's gone.

Just take it easy for atleast the first 2 weeks afterwards ( I would say )