Author Topic: My gym rant  (Read 3197 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
My gym rant
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
Ok.... Everybody has the right to train wherever they want
fine.

what really puzzles me is this
ok I train at Muscle limit one of the most hardcore gyms in London 24 hr gym
yet you have guys all of 150lbs who come in.. not to knock them i started out light too they come in and do cable movements exclusively.. like rear delt raises one arm concentartion curls...front raises and the most cable crossovers i will come in see a guy chatting and laughing with his friend doing cable crossovers do a hardcore chest session ..come to do cable crossovers.. and still see the same guys on the cable crossover machine.... :-\

i saw this guy on the hammer strength press machines
after doing some heavy ass incline dumbell and flat dumbell presses..
and flyes and pullovers i asked this guy how many sets he had left
he said 18   :-\
like i said everybody pays their membership
but why come to a hardcore gym just to do hammer strength presses.... when u could do so in any of those soft leisure centre gyms... i think its unfair to guys who actually go to a hardcore gym gym to train hardcore. to have it invaded buy guys who have no interest in training properly (only there for summer) and hold up the machines doin damn foolishness.. i mean cable concentrated curls when your arms are 14 inches max.... you will never see them touch any free weights... aside from bench ..and the reason they do that is to ego lift and to answer the how much do you bench question.. i am sick of it.. i had to change chest day from monday to tuesday because on a monday evening you arent getting any of the benches as the gym is filled of 150 lb guy "benching" i meaning pulling bars off their friends chests
 i can count on one hand the amount of hardcore gyms left in london.
it sucks
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: My gym rant
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »
it's the same way in the states as well.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
Yep - we have those guys in our gym too from time to time. The good thing though is that they never stay too long as they can't maintain any sort of consistency - they just don't have it in them to train hard with big compound movements. They tend to wreck the odd workout by getting in the way but I've been around long enough to know that they won't stay too long.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:16 PM »
Ha! 18 sets!? There was a guy at my place this morning on the leg press. Got up to 8 plates and about 20 reps a set. 'Course his range of motion was about 2". Didn't really need to disengage the safeties, but he did anyway. Wasn't my leg day so I just smirked with the rest of the assholes.  ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »
Ha! 18 sets!? There was a guy at my place this morning on the leg press. Got up to 8 plates and about 20 reps a set. 'Course his range of motion was about 2". Didn't really need to disengage the safeties, but he did anyway. Wasn't my leg day so I just smirked with the rest of the assholes.  ;D
i'm betting he left the press loaded when he was done too, right?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

And made sure that everyone knew he was lifting "big weight" :D

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »
there are two little twinks that train in my gym

abouth thirty sets for biceps 4 times a week

and nothing else  ???
T

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »

and nothing else  ???

Ha,in my old gym we had a guy that wore jeans,wife beater,and shades every damn day.whatever workout he did,he did arms.chest,arms.next day was back,arms and so on.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
And made sure that everyone knew he was lifting "big weight" :D
Nope, he left 3 aside - I'm guessing that's how he found it, so that's he left it. And no he was kinda 'weird.' Did a set. Rested for about 5 minutes and read/scribbled in his workout book or looked at his 'bigger' log/binder, which he also read at times. Dude might as well of walked by the leg press for the benefit he got out of it.  :-\

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
I learned a long time ago to never train chest on mondays, try training it on Thursday and see how fast you fly through your workout.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
A kid in my gym wants big shoulders. So does military presses s/s with side laterals for around an hour every single day.

I tried speaking to him before gave him idea of split way to progress ets...3 mins later i heard him asking someone else was it right. Then 3 mins after that he asked someone else. Everytime he asked a questions and u answered he just questioned it lol

Some people you waste time trying to talk to them. Wait till he gets older and will listen more.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »
Nope, he left 3 aside - I'm guessing that's how he found it, so that's he left it. And no he was kinda 'weird.' Did a set. Rested for about 5 minutes and read/scribbled in his workout book or looked at his 'bigger' log/binder, which he also read at times. Dude might as well of walked by the leg press for the benefit he got out of it.  :-\

Why don't ya just go and fuck up a good story :(

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »
i have nothing against
young guys just starting we all started there difference is i used to watch and ask questions...
... and i didnt start of training in a hardcore gym either
i just dont see the logic.. of going to a hardcore gym to pussy foot around.. when  can go to a soft one... i mean u can do 18 sets of machine chest press...
or do one arm cable conentration curls at the cable station on 13 inch arms
or read delts on the cable station when u have no delts and u have no idea what the excercise you are doing in for?
i thinks its so unfair to experienced or hardcore trainers
there should be some kind of requirement... to train at a hardcore gym...
i know it sounds petty but my gym is a very busy gym
and 80% are damn idiots

choice is an illusion

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
I never was the weakest or smallest ever in my gym so i dont know how it feels. what it seems tho is pure desperation for some ppl to get big quick...less is more for newbs

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »
Got to hate the skinny rats who come in and curl a barbell in the power-rack after scouring the gym for the 5kg bumper plates  >:(

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »
totally feel you meso. some people are so goddamn stupid. i dont know what half of the people are doing in the gym. half of them would get better results out of doing pushups and chins every other day than what they are doing at the gym.

when you're a small and new to the gym you should watch and learn what the bigger better guys do, and stick to the basics!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
Also maybe i was just a dweeb but i purposely kept myself out of the way of the big guys when i started.

1. Made me look pathetic
2. Could concentrate more on my workout

Eventually teh big guys started chatting to me becoming friendly when they realised i wasnt after the 60's they were using for curling for dumbell squats

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »
funny thing is i once took one of them through a back session which involved deads rows chins tbar rows
didnt come back for a week when i saw him next it was back to doin one arm pulldowns in the cable pully ...when i asked him why he said it was too hard and it was overtraining
150lb max
what is a guy like this doing at one of the most hardcore gyms in the uk?
choice is an illusion

GhostDog

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
why do u care what they do? they are in your head

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
I find teh less you try to offer your help the more people will approach you.

I get asked things quite a lot and am more than happy to help, however no way am i going over to a 35year old guy and go ur doing that wrong. If he asks i will always say what i think, then say thats what i think works best but just my opinion and everyone is different

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »
speaking of helping people.

some time ago a guy asked me what he should do for shoulders. so i asked him what his shoulder routine was now and he showed me he was doing dumbell rows and said it was his favourite shoulder exercise  ;D

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »

and nothing else  ???

Hahahhaha that sounds exactly like these 2 dweebs that joined my gym about a month ago

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:28 PM »
why do u care what they do? they are in your head
i care because that person is slowing down or fucking up my workout
hope this helps
choice is an illusion

GhostDog

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
i care because that person is slowing down or fucking up my workout
hope this helps

tough shit, they pay for a membership as well.
buy a home gym if it bothers you.

ta ta

fuckhead

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
I find teh less you try to offer your help the more people will approach you.

I get asked things quite a lot and am more than happy to help, however no way am i going over to a 35year old guy and go ur doing that wrong. If he asks i will always say what i think, then say thats what i think works best but just my opinion and everyone is different
guys always come up to me askin stuff..
mostly what steroids are u taking.... and silly stuff like that
..but for the guys who ask about training i try to help as much as possible..
but ive come t realise lifting genetics isnt just a physical thing its a mental thing
a lot of people just dont have the will to conssisntely work out hard...
they just want results fast with no work at all..
choice is an illusion