Author Topic: Keep your rotator cuffs strong  (Read 2294 times)

The Coach

Keep your rotator cuffs strong
« on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Keep your rotator cuffs strong
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »
Good stuff Joe.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:26 PM »
As someone who first encountered rotator cuff issues in the mid-70s, I'd say that looks like a good recipe for problems for those predisposed to weakness there. The weight's too heavy which is causing some swinging = further stress on the joints, and the ROMs i see there add further unnecessary duress.

It's not about "strengthening" rotators, rather the idea's good preventative maintenance involving effective general warmups that aren't inherently stressful on the joints coupled with minimal weight and avoidance of particular problem exercises and bouncing heavy weights.  Provide ample protection against injury through good warmups using very little resistance and lots of stretching and movement.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »
I've done the internal and external rotation laying down and the same extensions with a cable.  These exercises really do work.  I've helped alleviate my shoulder discomfort with these exercises.
Squishy face retard

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »
As someone who first encountered rotator cuff issues in the mid-70s, I'd say that looks like a good recipe for problems for those predisposed to weakness there. The weight's too heavy which is causing some swinging = further stress on the joints, and the ROMs i see there add further unnecessary duress.

It's not about "strengthening" rotators, rather the idea's good preventative maintenance involving effective general warmups that aren't inherently stressful on the joints coupled with minimal weight and avoidance of particular problem exercises and bouncing heavy weights.  Provide ample protection against injury through good warmups using very little resistance and lots of stretching and movement.

AAAhhh, at the risk of this post getting deleted.......Are you serious? The athlete in my video is using 20lbs bumbells and if you analyze the mechanic of the movement, it's not an isolated external rotation. THIS IS A PREVENTITIVE STRENGTH MOVEMENT. Example; Do you actually think a pitcher who throws 100 pitches per game and another additional 300 throughout the week during practice is going to strengthen 4 stability muscles with just warmups and stretching?

Anyway guys...this is just the first video in a series of videos designed for healthy rotator cuffs. Strong rotator cuffs start with a strong subscapular and girdle.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:08:52 AM »
Keep the video's coming Coach. But there is a danger that a few people who come here may actually learn something new and constructive.

Explored this exercise version before. Import to keep the traps high & somewhat contracted though the movement, if I remember correctly. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
AAAhhh, at the risk of this post getting deleted.......Are you serious? The athlete in my video is using 20lbs bumbells and if you analyze the mechanic of the movement, it's not an isolated external rotation. THIS IS A PREVENTITIVE STRENGTH MOVEMENT. Example; Do you actually think a pitcher who throws 100 pitches per game and another additional 300 throughout the week during practice is going to strengthen 4 stability muscles with just warmups and stretching?

Anyway guys...this is just the first video in a series of videos designed for healthy rotator cuffs. Strong rotator cuffs start with a strong subscapular and girdle.

Your vids bad advice IMO. It's not about "strengthening" as you put it, so even your terminology is wrong right off the bat. It's about prevention through a series of actions. I find your prescribed exercises too harsh, which is consistent with someone who has never had this problem personally. Remember i've been there, you haven't.  ;)

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »
Your vids bad advice IMO. It's not about "strengthening" as you put it, so even your terminology is wrong right off the bat. It's about prevention through a series of actions. I find your prescribed exercises too harsh, which is consistent with someone who has never had this problem personally. Remember i've been there, you haven't.

Didn't say it was a rehab exercise.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
Good tips Coach, will try it.