Author Topic: Serious Question  (Read 1700 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Serious Question
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
I don't really follow politics much but this election is intriguing.  I know people are ragging Palin for not having experience but doesn't she have more experience than Obama.  And he is running for President and she is running for Vice President. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Serious Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
I don't really follow politics much but this election is intriguing.  I know people are ragging Palin for not having experience but doesn't she have more experience than Obama.  And he is running for President and she is running for Vice President. 
That's it in a nutshell, bro. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
The reality is Sarah Palin is an terrible candidate.  And it shows just how dumb-ed down America is.

so in this election she looks great.

;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:41 AM »
Really, let's compare Palin and Obama objectively, since the Republicans claim Palin is Obama's equal, or even that Palin is more qualified to possibly be President.

Undergraduate
Obama
-early undergrad at Occidental college, ranked 37th among liberal arts colleges by US News and World Report
-he did well enough to transfer to Columbia, the third most selective Ivy League college, Columbia being only slightly less selective than Harvard and Yale

Palin
-Went to the University of Idaho. While a decent school, it's considered a third tier school by the US News rankings.

Graduate
Obama
Harvard Law School.
-editor of law review in first year based on grades and writing ability. For those of you who are unaware, this essentially marks him as among the smartest and most able in a group full of very smart and able people.
-President of Law review in his second year. First black president of Harvard Law Review. Again, a very prestigious position, and marks him as both a leader, and as someone of exceptional ability.
-Graduated Magna Cum Laude (highest academic honors), again a significant achievement among a group of significant achievers.

Palin
N/A

Objectively then, Obama is either significantly smarter, harder working or both than Palin. His undergraduate education is objectively and provably better. His grad work proves that he was leaps and bounds beyond Palin in terms of intellectual and leadership ability. You don't get to be President of Harvard Law Review by being average, or a shrinking violet.

Advantage: Obama

Work, non governmental:
BIC-1983-1984
NY Public Interest Research Group-1984-85
Developing Communities Project, Director-85-88
University of Chicago School of Law-Constitutional law lecturer, 92-2004
(University of Chicago is ranked 7th among US Law schools. The fact that Obama got emplyment here, and then was able to continue, marks him as someone exptionally smart and able)
Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, 1993-2004, attorney

Palin
with husband in commercial fishing
and a brief stint as a TV reporter

Advantage: Obama His non-governmental work experience is more diverse, and objectively marks him as someone smarter and more able than Palin.

Governmental Experience

Obama
1997-2004 State senator of Illinois' 13th district. That district has nearly 800,000 people in it.

2005-present Illinois Senator

Palin
City councilwoman of Wasilla, a town of 6k, 1992-1996
Mayor of Wasilla, 1996-2004
governor of Alaska, 2006-present. Note that Alaska has 600k people in the whole state.

Advantage: Obama As both senator and state representative, Obama has experience representing more people, and larger districts with larger issues than does Palin.

Honestly, if you were on the search committee for, say, a board of director's position of a fortune 500 company, who would get the nod, Obama or Palin? It's Obama, if you have even a shred of honesty in your body. Given that, why is Palin even in the ballpark as number 2 in line for the Presidency? Don't get me wrong, Sarah Palin has some achievements, and she has a right to be proud of them. But realistically, in any category that matters Obama is better than Sarah Palin.

FOREIGN nations visited:

In August 2005, Obama  traveled to Russia, Ukraine, and Azerbaijan.The trip focused on strategies to control the world's supply of conventional weapons, biological weapons, and weapons of mass destruction as a first defense against potential terrorist attacks Following meetings with U.S. military in Kuwait and Iraq in January 2006, Obama visited Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian territories. He left for his third official trip in August 2006, traveling to South Africa, Kenya, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Chad. In a nationally televised speech at the University of Nairobi, he spoke forcefully on the influence of ethnic rivalries and corruption in Kenya]

So let's see - discounting his campaign trips and meeting with World leaders of UK, Germany, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan - he has been on official business talking war stuff with the Senate Foreign Relations committe to:

Israel
Kuwait
Iraq
Russia
Ukraine
South Africa
Kenya
Djibouti
Ethiopia
Chad
Jordan
Palestinian territories
Kuwait
Azerbaijan

And Palin once left the USA and visted 1 place.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »
 :o 240, you're kidding, right? :o

Tell me your kidding with that last post?   ???

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »

Advantage: Obama As both senator and state representative, Obama has experience representing more people, and larger districts with larger issues than does Palin.

The amount of people represented means little.  One is running a state, the other is a state senator.  Whether you beleive one or the other is better preparation is fine, but the amount of people in this example means nothing.

Anyway, if you compare the examples above to the guy he's actually running against, it's no contest.
Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
:o 240, you're kidding, right? :o

Tell me your kidding with that last post?   ???

It's pasted from another site, hence the rude style.  

But yes, the man asked if Palin had more experience, and I thought this answered the question.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »
If they were both applying for a job running something big, say, a national economy and protecting the lives of 305 million people, the job typically wouldn't be given to someonew with only 18 months of experience, as palin has.

Obama's been traveling the world for 4 years and receiving the senate foreign subcommittee briefs the whole time.  He knows his shit when it comes to foreign policy, and he's met leaders.

Palin claimed to have visited 3 countries - turns out one was a refueling stopover, and the other she never stepped foot in.  The woman's been to ONE nation. 

She's not qualified.  And the other leaders of the world will eat her alive. 

Mccain is 72 years old, and has had cancer 4 times.

Mccain smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years.

He has degenerative arthritis.
He's had cataract surgery.

Also, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, he's
Arthritic, has had Vertigo.

He's on 6 different medications including for
Kidneys, cholesterol, sleep, blood clots.

And he's about to enter the most stressful job on Earth?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »

That about sums it up.  She is more experienced and better qualified than Obama.  The Republican ticket is set up just right:  experienced guy at the top of the ticket and the less experienced person as VP.  The Democrat ticket is upside down.

Obama isn't qualified to be president IMO.

Comparing Obama to Palin doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  You haven't seen a lot of people comparing Obama's qualifications with those of McCain a whole lot the past couple weeks.     

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
If they were both applying for a job running something big, say, a national economy and protecting the lives of 305 million people, the job typically wouldn't be given to someonew with only 18 months of experience, as palin has.

Obama's been traveling the world for 4 years and receiving the senate foreign subcommittee briefs the whole time.  He knows his shit when it comes to foreign policy, and he's met leaders.

Palin claimed to have visited 3 countries - turns out one was a refueling stopover, and the other she never stepped foot in.  The woman's been to ONE nation. 

She's not qualified.  And the other leaders of the world will eat her alive. 

Mccain is 72 years old, and has had cancer 4 times.

Mccain smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years.

He has degenerative arthritis.
He's had cataract surgery.

Also, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, he's
Arthritic, has had Vertigo.

He's on 6 different medications including for
Kidneys, cholesterol, sleep, blood clots.

And he's about to enter the most stressful job on Earth?

Isn't McCain's mom in her 90's?  From past interviews that I've seen with her, and per her demeanor at the RNC, Momma McCain still has quite a bit of spunk in her. 

Remember, 240, things don't always happen as we see them (thus, God said, "My thoughts aren't your thoughts, and My ways aren't your ways").  That being said, Barack Obama could die tomorrow.  What's more, tomorrow is not promised to any of the 4 current candidates.....or any of us.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
240 that has to be some of the weakest defense for Obama ever.  Going to a nice college DOES NOT make you a better candidate.  Visiting a bunch of countries DOES NOT make you qualified on foriegn policy or my uncle would be president since he has literally been to every country on earth at least once.  My other uncle graduated in the top 1% at the Navy Academy, my brother graduated with a 4.0 and many other friends of mine have gone to colleges rated way up there.  To be President you would think you should have at least SOME experience in government.  I like Obama and probably would like him to win but people who try to discredit Palin or compare her to Obama are just ignorant and grasping for straws.  Obama is running for the most powerful job in the world, Palin job description is nothing compared to what the President has to do.  Everyone is think McCain will die in office and we will be stuck with Palin.  Pailn will not be running the country on her own.  She will have a team behind her just as Obama will. 

By the way, this is the most I have ever talked about politics in my life.  I hate them

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
Going to a nice college DOES NOT make you a better candidate. 

Sorry, I disagree there.  Anyone with a degree will tell you how much stronger they are at many things after getting that degree.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
240 that has to be some of the weakest defense for Obama ever.  Going to a nice college DOES NOT make you a better candidate.  Visiting a bunch of countries DOES NOT make you qualified on foriegn policy or my uncle would be president since he has literally been to every country on earth at least once.  My other uncle graduated in the top 1% at the Navy Academy, my brother graduated with a 4.0 and many other friends of mine have gone to colleges rated way up there.  To be President you would think you should have at least SOME experience in government.  I like Obama and probably would like him to win but people who try to discredit Palin or compare her to Obama are just ignorant and grasping for straws.  Obama is running for the most powerful job in the world, Palin job description is nothing compared to what the President has to do.  Everyone is think McCain will die in office and we will be stuck with Palin.  Pailn will not be running the country on her own.  She will have a team behind her just as Obama will. 

By the way, this is the most I have ever talked about politics in my life.  I hate them

You're doing great mang.  You should talk politics more often.   :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »
McCain's mom may be in her 90's, ...but has she suffered all the ailments her son has, ...or even a fraction?
clearly mccain inherited his weak genes from his father. In any event, he's neither physically fit to be president, something nature has taken care and most probably will, ...nor is he mentally fit to be president, ...something the US voting population SHOULD take care of, ...but if they don't, nature will and you'll be stuck with Caribou Barbie.

Onlyme, did you see Palin's Charlie Gibson interview?
w

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
Sorry, I disagree there.  Anyone with a degree will tell you how much stronger they are at many things after getting that degree.

And the next minute they will tell you working for 6 months in the real world trumps those 4 years of school, by a long shot

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
I am sure mccain will be fine during his term - he has the best healthcare in the world as president.

It's after he retires and palin takes over.  She will, of course.  When he steps down, she'd run, without a dobut.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

So you must love old W. Bush and his degree  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 06:11:43 PM »
So you must love old W. Bush and his degree  ::)

He has an MBA - and he does have a pretty fundamental understanding of the economy.

He just succumbed to special interest pressure (old rich people who ask him to change laws to benefit them).

You ever heard him speak as Governor of TX?  Smart as a whip.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »
He has an MBA - and he does have a pretty fundamental understanding of the economy.

He just succumbed to special interest pressure (old rich people who ask him to change laws to benefit them).

You ever heard him speak as Governor of TX?  Smart as a whip.

Ya, but like old age and senility, cocaine and alcohol abuse tremendously ravage the brain cells over time
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »
Did Michael Dell of DELL Products even finish school at U of Texas?  I'd say dude is doing pretty well (financially speaking) without a degree.  Maybe he's gone back and finished since then, but from what I understand...he was making top dollar before leaving UT.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 07:58:53 AM »
Ya, but like old age and senility, cocaine and alcohol abuse tremendously ravage the brain cells over time
::)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:22 AM »
Experience is not the issue.  The constitution only demands that a president be at least 35 years old (I think).

Executive experience relative to the presidency is something but it's overhyped.  Unless a candidate was president/vp of the US, he has no presidential experience.  And no amount of 'executive experience' in politics or big business is going to change that fundamental fact.

The presidency is about ideas and direction.  What direction does the candidate want to take the country?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
Did Michael Dell of DELL Products even finish school at U of Texas?  I'd say dude is doing pretty well (financially speaking) without a degree.  Maybe he's gone back and finished since then, but from what I understand...he was making top dollar before leaving UT.

How many years of school did he finish?  Gates didn't finish his degree either, but he was writing operating systems in the 7th grade, so...

Facts are facts.  Statistically, those with college make more $ and have better skillset for dealing with things.  You can always find exceptions, of course.  There will be homeless college grads, and millionaires who dropped out of 8th grade.

But overall, you want your national leaders to be as intelligent as possible.  College adds to that.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
How many years of school did he finish?  Gates didn't finish his degree either, but he was writing operating systems in the 7th grade, so...

Facts are facts.  Statistically, those with college make more $ and have better skillset for dealing with things.  You can always find exceptions, of course.  There will be homeless college grads, and millionaires who dropped out of 8th grade.

But overall, you want your national leaders to be as intelligent as possible.  College adds to that.
Yes you do.  But if you can have successes who are an exception to the rule, then why can't we have the same for running the country.  Wisdom does not always come from college books and professors.

If you want really argue that college is a necessity to run the country, then I'd like to divert this notion and as this question....

With Barack Obama coming from the same path of schooling that our present and past presidents have gone (Yale, Harvard, etc), then how is he going to see the CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN to fruition?  He's of the same mold as the typical politician then, isn't he?

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »

keith...werent you just complaining about politics being discussed on the G & O board?

why the change of heart?

personally, im glad all the political threads are staying.......this election is one for the books.. G & O can co-exist with politics until the race is over