Author Topic: I need to get to the bottom of Rep range for muscle growth  (Read 2963 times)

ASJChaotic

I need to get to the bottom of Rep range for muscle growth
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
Ok now, seriously, there are a thousand programs out there that say you should use different rep ranges
but really which is the best?
Max-OT suggests 4-6 reps........isn't this mostly for strenght gains?  :-\
others suggest 6-8 reps, for heavy muscular contraction and muscle growth
some suggest 8-12 reps, Ronnie Coleman says that if you're using less than 8 reps, you just wasted that set
most pros use 10-15 reps.....for muscle growth they say they would never do less than 10
then there are guys like Milos Sarcev and Serge Nubret who believe that getting blood into the muscle
and keeping it there for as long as possible is the key to muscle growth, Serge Nubret never does less than 12 reps
and he does 30 sets per bodypart
Milos Sarcev does giant sets

The question is
What is the best rep range or "method" for MUSCLE GROWTH, nothing else, not strenght or endurance but pure Muscle Growth?

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: I need to get to the bottom of Rep range for muscle growth
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »
Easy answer: there isn't one.  8-12 has evidence to be most productive for inducing hypertrophy for most people, but it would boil down to genetics - proportion of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers, which varies person to person, and even muscle to muscle.

Argon Coagulator

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
I think 8-20 reps works for everyone.

I want to know who the hell counts how many seconds it takes to lift a damn weight. 

I believe that for muscle growth, you want to perform a forceful positive, or concentric, but not so explosive that momentum helps carry the weight through to top half of the rep.  The negative, or eccentric should not be fast, but also not ridiculously slow.  Just slow enough to have to weight under control and feel the muscle stretch. 

When I go heavy, I'm doing a max set of 8.  It's heavy enough to promote rapid strength gains, but enough TUT for solid hypertrophy.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »
8-12 has evidence to be most productive for inducing hypertrophy for most people

Agreed. Somewhere in the 6-12 range or up to 15 depending on the person and the muscle worked since it can vary. It's not just the physiological effect but also the psychological appeal/effect on the person, some just prefer the feel of certain ranges whether it's proven better or not.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »
I think 8-20 reps works for everyone.

I want to know who the hell counts how many seconds it takes to lift a damn weight. 

I believe that for muscle growth, you want to perform a forceful positive, or concentric, but not so explosive that momentum helps carry the weight through to top half of the rep.  The negative, or eccentric should not be fast, but also not ridiculously slow.  Just slow enough to have to weight under control and feel the muscle stretch. 

When I go heavy, I'm doing a max set of 8.  It's heavy enough to promote rapid strength gains, but enough TUT for solid hypertrophy.
8-20 reps
I was looking more specific LOL  ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
8-20 reps
I was looking more specific LOL  ;D

It's too hard to say.

Everyone responds differently. I prefer anywhere from 8-15 reps 3-4 sets and it seems to work, yet person B prefers 4-6 reps and 5-6 sets and person C trains like Serge Nubret, high volume.

I guess you just have to try and find out what works for you. It may very well take years, but there is no "perfect system".

No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:12 AM »
Anyone here notice a massive drop in strength after a 15RM set going into a second set? It seems to be more prominent in this rep range, I might get 6 reps to failure from my 15RM a 50% reduction.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »
Anyone here notice a massive drop in strength after a 15RM set going into a second set? It seems to be more prominent in this rep range, I might get 6 reps to failure from my 15RM a 50% reduction.
actually I did a warmup set of 50 for bicep curls
and I couldn't curl 100 pounds for 4 reps after that
when I usually get 100 for 12 without a problem
there was just so much lactic acid built up and all the glycogen in my muscle was pretty much depleted after that 50 rep, LOTS of latic acid
after 10 minutes rest I still couldn't do my workout, that ruined my bicep workout that day  >:(

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »
actually I did a warmup set of 50 for bicep curls
and I couldn't curl 100 pounds for 4 reps after that
when I usually get 100 for 12 without a problem
there was just so much lactic acid built up and all the glycogen in my muscle was pretty much depleted after that 50 rep, LOTS of latic acid
after 10 minutes rest I still couldn't do my workout, that ruined my bicep workout that day  >:(

Then you need to look up the definition of "warm-up."

ASJChaotic

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 07:38:25 AM »
Then you need to look up the definition of "warm-up."
no kidding  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »
in my humble opinion it's not really the rep range that causes hypertrophy, it's "progressive overload" 8) choose a rep range and strive to use heavier and heavier workloads, then you'll grow, if you keep getting stronger and stronger you'll get bigger :) let's say your rep range is 8-12, and you start the bench press at 150 pounds for 10 reps and then 6 months later you're doing 250 pounds for 10 reps, well i think it's safe to say you'll be bigger 8)