Author Topic: Baseball playoffs  (Read 3895 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Baseball playoffs
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »
I dunno, you said that the series was all about how poorly the Angels played....That would lead one to believe you where referring to them handing it away.

My bad for the missunderstanding.  The Rays will be very hard to beat, but if it happens the sox will crush the Dodgers in the ws.

How do you like the way the Sox have set up the pitching rotation for the series ???

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 06:22:33 AM »
That's a good question.

I thought, for sure, you'd see some combo of Beckett/Lester 1-2.

The way it's set up is similar to the last series - if the sox can win game one, they get a huge advantage for the rest of the series.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 06:26:53 AM »
That's a good question.

I thought, for sure, you'd see some combo of Beckett/Lester 1-2.

The way it's set up is similar to the last series - if the sox can win game one, they get a huge advantage for the rest of the series.

HA,I know one thing.with Dice K pitching I'll be asleep by the 5th inning after he's thrown 110 pitches :D :-\

body88

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »

HA,I know one thing.with Dice K pitching I'll be asleep by the 5th inning after he's thrown 110 pitches :D :-\

WHo are the Yankees starting?  I suspect the yanks are a good three years behind the sox at this point.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »
WHo are the Yankees starting?  I suspect the yanks are a good three years behind the sox at this point.

Now thats just mean :(
hell their behind the Sox and the Rays. :-\

body88

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

Now thats just mean :(
hell their behind the Sox and the Rays. :-\

;)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »
Dodgers blew a good chance at game 1 last night.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »

What's this got to do with Matsuzaka's pitch count?  ;D

Anyway, the Yankees are not three years behind the sox.

All the Yankees need to do is hit the right targets via trade or FA market this year and they'll be AL East favorites in '09.

They could theoretically get their entire rotation under age 30, and there is a possibility that they could give themselves a rotation whose would be the best baseball has seen in some time.
Y

body88

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
What's this got to do with Matsuzaka's pitch count?  ;D

Anyway, the Yankees are not three years behind the sox.

All the Yankees need to do is hit the right targets via trade or FA market this year and they'll be AL East favorites in '09.

They could theoretically get their entire rotation under age 30, and there is a possibility that they could give themselves a rotation whose would be the best baseball has seen in some time.

Nothing, I'll take Dice-K throwing a lot of pitches in the ALCS over the Yankess golfing.

The farm system.....3 years, mark it down.  The sox don't need to use FA to survive anymore.  The Yankees won't win the east in 09 or 10. The Yankees will have their big names, and they will lose to the sox and the rays consistantly for the next few years - imo.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

Nothing, I'll take Dice-K throwing a lot of pitches in the ALCS over the Yankess golfing.

The farm system.....3 years, mark it down.  The sox don't need to use FA to survive anymore.  The Yankees won't win the east in 09 or 10. The Yankees will have their big names, and they will lose to the sox and the rays consistantly for the next few years - imo.

I have no idea what you could possilbly be basing this on.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »
Based on the fact that the Yankess gave up their farm system in exchange for big name players in trades year after year. At some point, age is going to catch up with a team. The Yankess are one season away from a complete re-building overhaul.

body88

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »
I have no idea what you could possilbly be basing this on.

Many of the yankees recent picks where considered huge reaches in past drafts by the "experts".  I believe that the red sox farm is much deeper than the yankees farm. Paplebon, Lester, Jacobe, Masterson, Ardsma, Youk, Padroia, Lowery and Delcarmen are all players who contribute and or start on a team that has made it to the ALCS despite a RASH of injuries and challenges. The Redsox have 7 players from their farm starting currently. Pap is a top closer, Lester is stud, Masterson is a stud, Padrioa and Youk are two of the best players in the MLB, Ellsbury is a great young talent and Lowery has stepped in to take over for the mistake known as Julio Lugo.

Until the Yankees "blue chippers" do something other than get injured I will think the same way.

This article sums up my thoughts:

George Steinbrenner lorded over the staff meetings he attended, and as the Yankees prepared for the amateur draft in the spring of 2000, Steinbrenner noted aloud that Jorge Posada was moving closer to free agency.

"We need a catcher," Steinbrenner said. When it came time for the Yankees to make their first round pick, 28th overall, they called out the name of a catcher. He was David Parrish, the son of Lance Parrish and a University of Michigan product, with the kind of pedigree that Steinbrenner liked and recognized.

Parrish also was regarded by executives and scouts with other teams as a fifth-round talent.

"No better than that," said one AL general manager.

Eight years later, Parrish has yet to play in the big leagues, like the vast majority of the Yankees' picks from 1997 to 2005 -- a period in which the Yankees' drafting and developing has been clearly the worst of any team in the major leagues. The Yankees failed to make the playoffs this season, in large part because the team is paying for its inability to generate young talent, as the Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Cleveland Indians, Tampa Bay Rays and others have been able to do.

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada each made his debut with the Yankees in 1995.
Instead, at the end of the 1996-2001 dynasty, which was built largely on homegrown talent such as Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera and Posada, the Yankees began a period of free spending on veteran free agents, a habit that often exacerbated their player development problem and increased their reliance on older players.

The Yankees began shifting their draft philosophy after general manager Brian Cashman began overseeing the player development system after the 2005 season, but they still have a lot of catching up to do.

"They're probably two or three or four years behind the Rays and Red Sox and Toronto," an American League general manager said recently.

The Yankees chose University of Maryland left-hander Eric Milton with their first pick in the 1996 draft, but in the nine drafts that followed, the Yankees' draft and development rate can be assessed as nothing short of abysmal. Consider that in the drafts of 1997-2005:

* The Yankees produced a total of 10 position players who have appeared in a major league game; that is the fewest of any team in the major leagues, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

* The 10 position players drafted by the Yankees had accounted for a total of 888 career at-bats as of Sept. 9, which means that not only have the Yankees generated few major league position players, but they have produced no stars, and just a handful of journeymen. The draftees of the Toronto Blue Jays from the same time frame, by comparison, have combined for 27,427 big-league at-bats; the Mets, 11,469.

* The Yankees drafted and developed 20 pitchers, which is tied for the 12th-most among the 30 major league teams. However, those 20 pitchers selected by the Yankees have amassed 1,852 2/3 innings in the majors -- the fewest innings for any group of pitchers drafted by any team. The Oakland Athletics' draftees rank first, at 9,686 innings, according to Elias.

The Yankees' thirst for yearly success at the big league level has hurt the team's efforts to regenerate the organization's player development, of course. The unofficial Steinbrenner Doctrine deemed that anything less than a World Series championship has been regarded as a failure. In the moments after the Yankees lost Game 7 of the 2001 World Series to the Arizona Diamondbacks, Steinbrenner said aloud in the team's clubhouse, "There are going to be changes."

Not feeling a draft

From 1997 to 2005, the Yankees drafted and developed just 10 position players. In the table below, players are sorted by major league at-bats (through Sept. 9).
Player    Draft
year    Draft
round    ABs
Andy Phillips    1998    3    544
Shelley Duncan    2001    2    131
Brett Gardner    2005    3    77
Kevin Thompson    1999    31    65
John-Ford Griffin    2001    1    23
Mike Vento    1997    40    20
Andy Cannizaro    2001    7    9
Drew Henson    1998    3    9
Bronson Sardinha    2001    1    9
Omir Santos    2001    21    1
And he was right. The Yankees, who already had become a middle-aged team during the dynasty, began relying almost solely on free-agent spending to augment the team, to paper over weaknesses, and the Yankees sacrificed draft picks along the way. From the fall of 2001 through 2005, the Yankees sacrificed nine high draft picks to sign free agents Jason Giambi, Steve Karsay, Rondell White, Tom Gordon, Paul Quantrill, Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Kyle Farnsworth and Johnny Damon. In addition, the Yankees' consistent high finishes in the standings -- propped up by the free-agent signings -- naturally hurt their draft position.

"The bottom line is that there is a lot of value, in the big picture, to have a down year now and then," said a rival GM, "because that's the only way you're going to have a real shot at the elite talent in the draft. You can't say that out loud to your fans, but that's the truth. You might have someone fall through the cracks to you every once in awhile, but the best draft talent is, generally speaking, going to be at the top of the draft."

The Yankees have changed their draft philosophy in recent seasons, selecting the best player on their board, rather than trying to address a specific position, like catcher. They still lack depth among their position-player prospects, but they have done well in landing highly regarded pitching talent, like Joba Chamberlain.

But the Yankees are at a crossroads again. In the aftermath of the frustrating 2008 season, the Yankees have the option of diving back into the free-agent market again and addressing needs immediately. They will likely pursue CC Sabathia, and if they fail to sign him, Hank Steinbrenner already has mentioned the name of A.J. Burnett as a possible offseason target. They could also go after first baseman Mark Teixeira.

If they take that approach, of course, there will, again, be a high-end cost. They probably will lose their first-round draft pick, and their second-round draft pick, and further retard their player development system that was, in the early '90s, the best in the major leagues. A dynasty was born from that, and from that dynasty came the YES Network, support for a new Yankee Stadium -- and an insatiable quest for success that, in the way it was managed, effectively cannibalized the organization.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »
Based on the fact that the Yankess gave up their farm system in exchange for big name players in trades year after year. At some point, age is going to catch up with a team. The Yankess are one season away from a complete re-building overhaul.

Who have the Yankees given up in their farm system within the last few years that have gone on to be great MLB ball players?  This is a misconception of the Yankees that hasn't really been relevant for a long time.

The so called "barren" Yankee farm system of the last few years has produced Robinson Cano, Chien Ming Wang, and Joba Chamberlain.  Heck, if Melky rebounds and plays CF, the entire middle of the Yankees defense (C, SS, 2B, CF and P) could all be farm products. 

You will soon see names like Melancon, Betances, Hughes, Jackson, Sanchez and Horne and Brackman contributing well on an MLB level soon enough.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »
Many of the yankees recent picks where considered huge reaches in past drafts by the "experts".  I believe that the red sox farm is much deeper than the yankees farm. Paplebon, Lester, Jacobe, Masterson, Ardsma, Youk, Padroia, Lowery and Delcarmen are all players who contribute and or start on a team that has made it to the ALCS despite a RASH of injuries and challenges. The Redsox have 7 players from their farm starting currently. Pap is a top closer, Lester is stud, Masterson is a stud, Padrioa and Youk are two of the best players in the MLB, Ellsbury is a great young talent and Lowery has stepped in to take over for the mistake known as Julio Lugo.

Until the Yankees "blue chippers" do something other than get injured I will think the same way.

I doesn't matter if players are acquired via FA or if they're home grown, what matters is making the right choices in the FA market.  The 2004 Red Sox team was the biggest store bought championship since the '97 Marlins.

The Yankees system is deep at the AA level.  Yes, they've had their fair share of busts like any team.   But they have plently of names that I mentioned above who will be MLB ready, some of them highly rated.

People want to write them off, but consider the fact that they have 88 million coming off the books, and a trememdous FA pool to potentially acquire.  It is realistic to theorize that the Yankees starting rotation could be Sabathia, Wang, Chamberlain, Burnett, Hughes next year, or some combination of that.  Hank wants to spend money, and, if it's spent WISELY, the Yankees will be right back at it, with a young rotation that could last them years.
Y

body88

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »
I doesn't matter if players are acquired via FA or if they're home grown, what matters is making the right choices in the FA market.  The 2004 Red Sox team was the biggest store bought championship since the '97 Marlins.

The Yankees system is deep at the AA level.  Yes, they've had their fair share of busts like any team.   But they have plently of names that I mentioned above who will be MLB ready, some of them highly rated.

People want to write them off, but consider the fact that they have 88 million coming off the books, and a tremendous FA pool to potentially acquire.  It is realistic to theorize that the Yankees starting rotation could be Sabathia, Wang, Chamberlain, Burnett, Hughes next year, or some combination of that.  Hank wants to spend money, and, if it's spent WISELY, the Yankees will be right back at it, with a young rotation that could last them years.

It's not 2004, and the Sox have won a championship since then with clutch performances from young players that where homegrown.  Did you get a chance to read the article I posted?  Are you saying that it's inaccurate?  Until some of the talent you mentioned steps in and does something it's a moot point on your end.  Refute the points made in the article posted with stats and examples. Saying "we shall soon see" talent means nothing.  I'm sorry (and not trying to be a prick here), but until that talent contributes to the team, they are nothing more than speculation.

It's naive to think that the Yankees are the only team that's going to be able to draw from the FA market this year.  Since the Sox have so much talent that they produced, they don't have as many holes to fill, and they can grab a few big names to make them that much better. Team chemistry is an underrated component of a championship caliber team.  The sox and the rays have it, and the Yankees don't.

Why are you so sure that all these big names will be set on playing for the yankees?  The sox are the premier team in baseball currently.  Tito is a players manager, and guys love playing for him.  The Sox ownership is a great group to play for, and there is far less drama in the clubhouse.  Also, Boston is more of a baseball town than New York, and fans are more supportive towards their players.  The yanks will improve, but I believe they are a few years away from winning the AL East.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
It's not 2004, and the Sox have won a championship since then with clutch performances from young players that where homegrown.  Did you get a chance to read the article I posted?  Are you saying that it's inaccurate?  Until some of the talent you mentioned steps in and does something it's a moot point on your end.  Refute the points made in the article posted with stats and examples. Saying "we shall soon see" talent means nothing.  I'm sorry (and not trying to be a prick here), but until that talent contributes to the team, they are nothing more than speculation.

Don't apologize for not being a prick - you're never a prick.  I like these arguments.

I read the article.  There has been an internal shift in the Yankees orginaztion, with Cashman recently getting the power from the Tampa faction.  The article focuses on a lot of 97-05 activity which precludes the Cashman shift.  Yes, it was right about that.  You're right, that "we shall soon see" means nothing.  But that's the case with all prospects.  So yes, I could pull MiLB projections for Sanchez, Jackson, Melancon, Brackman, etc, but it's worth nothing until they do something.  The point I'm making is that the potential IS there, but they're not entirely reliant on it, for reasons I'll mention later.  Two points though, this systems has produced Wang, Chamberlain and Cano - a #1 starter, a future #1 starter, and an all-star second baseman.   The other point is, since the Yankees have finished first in the AL East for so many years, they constantly had one of the last draft picks in the first round, which means the HAD to take chances on high risk / high reward type prospects.

It's naive to think that the Yankees are the only team that's going to be able to draw from the FA market this year.  Since the Sox have so much talent that they produced, they don't have as many holes to fill, and they can grab a few big names to make them that much better. Team chemistry is an underrated component of a championship caliber team.  The sox and the rays have it, and the Yankees don't.

The sox are going to need a C, an SP, and maybe a 3b, depending on Lowell's health.  I know they don't having a decent C who is ready, and Buchholz is suspect.  Plus, Lowrie and Ellsbury aren't exactly studs, and I think you've been way too quick in giving Masterson that status as well.  They've done well, but not great.  The chemistry comment is just your opinion, and you have no way of proving it, so it's not worth discussion.  No Yankee players hit any other Yankee players in the dugout this year, though.

Why are you so sure that all these big names will be set on playing for the yankees?  The sox are the premier team in baseball currently.  Tito is a players manager, and guys love playing for him.  The Sox ownership is a great group to play for, and there is far less drama in the clubhouse.  Also, Boston is more of a baseball town than New York, and fans are more supportive towards their players.  The yanks will improve, but I believe they are a few years away from winning the AL East.

I'm not sure all big names are set on playing for the Yankees.  I just tossed a few potential ones out there, there are others.   Less drama?  Boston's on par with NY on  that, believe me.  As for Boston fans/ownership being more supportive, you have a very short memory.  Boston's known for running smear campaigns against players who leave the team, from the ownership and the fans.  Right away I can name Nomar, Mo Vaughn, Orlando Cabrerra and now Manny.    Luccino is hated by many.  Let's not make them out to be more than they are.

Anyway, for the stuff that can be quantified, there's no reason to think that the Yankees will not be in the mix in '09.
Y

body88

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 05:25:47 PM »
Don't apologize for not being a prick - you're never a prick.  I like these arguments.

I read the article.  There has been an internal shift in the Yankees orginaztion, with Cashman recently getting the power from the Tampa faction.  The article focuses on a lot of 97-05 activity which precludes the Cashman shift.  Yes, it was right about that.  You're right, that "we shall soon see" means nothing.  But that's the case with all prospects.  So yes, I could pull MiLB projections for Sanchez, Jackson, Melancon, Brackman, etc, but it's worth nothing until they do something.  The point I'm making is that the potential IS there, but they're not entirely reliant on it, for reasons I'll mention later.  Two points though, this systems has produced Wang, Chamberlain and Cano - a #1 starter, a future #1 starter, and an all-star second baseman.   The other point is, since the Yankees have finished first in the AL East for so many years, they constantly had one of the last draft picks in the first round, which means the HAD to take chances on high risk / high reward type prospects.

All good points for sure, but I believe that my claim of the Yankees being a few years behind the sox and the rays on the farm level is accurate - imo.  I have not seen any of the yankees recent farm stars do much more than be injured, so until they contribute I must assume they won't make a huge impact.

The sox are going to need a C, an SP, and maybe a 3b, depending on Lowell's health.  I know they don't having a decent C who is ready, and Buchholz is suspect.  Plus, Lowrie and Ellsbury aren't exactly studs, and I think you've been way too quick in giving Masterson that status as well.  They've done well, but not great.  The chemistry comment is just your opinion, and you have no way of proving it, so it's not worth discussion.  No Yankee players hit any other Yankee players in the dugout this year, though.
The sox needs are minor, and aside from a catcher they will be dealt with internally. I called Lowery and Ellsbury quality starters not studs.  However,  they do have a knack for coming up with huge plays in the postseason.  I think Masterson is a future star. Masterson has shown that he has what it takes to be a stud, imo.  I didn't mention Clay in my previous post, but since you did I will comment on him.  Clay has all the tools to be a top starter, but he needs more time to develop and add some weight.

The sox club has great chemistry, imo. I have never seen players go at it in the media like Arod and Jeter.  Manny was a cancer on the team, and yes, he whacked Youk in a heated argument, but on the whole I believe the sox players love playing with one another.  I think they have better chemistry than the yankees, and are more loyal to their manager. 

I'm not sure all big names are set on playing for the Yankees.  I just tossed a few potential ones out there, there are others.   Less drama?  Boston's on par with NY on  that, believe me.  As for Boston fans/ownership being more supportive, you have a very short memory.  Boston's known for running smear campaigns against players who leave the team, from the ownership and the fans.  Right away I can name Nomar, Mo Vaughn, Orlando Cabrerra and now Manny.    Luccino is hated by many.  Let's not make them out to be more than they are.

Anyway, for the stuff that can be quantified, there's no reason to think that the Yankees will not be in the mix in '09.

I cant agree with you on the smear campaign comment.  The sox bent over backwards for Manny.  Manny recently called out Boston fans, and he seems to forget how they put up with his nonsense for years.  Manny threw a 70 year old man to the ground because he could not get him 17 tickets to a game for his friends the day of the game, dogged it when he didn't get his way, and has ripped Boston ownership in the media many times.  Thats just the issues you know about. Manny deserves all the hate thrown his way.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
I believe the sox players love playing with one another. 

Agreed.  The Queer Eye show they did solidified this.
Y

body88

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
Agreed.  The Queer Eye show they did solidified this.

Thats funny, but how about the points I made?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »
Gotta love these afternoon games.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »
Thats funny, but how about the points I made?

I'll get to them today, I ran out of gas yesterday.
Y

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
not a mention of the phillies from anyone on here...like the they were just going to lay down on the field and let manny and his dreadlocks waltz into the series..HA! the dodgers need to spend that 100 million manny wants and put it towards some middle relief depth...thanks for overlooking us LA---the phils will be happy to play for the title. 

someone should tell penny marshall that she needs to stop stuffing her face every damn inning.
footloose and fancy free