Author Topic: Vitamin C following a workout?  (Read 8863 times)

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
Re: Vitamin C following a workout?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
In downhill runners?  Weight training isn't exactly downhill running.

Who's gimmick are you anyway, Mr. 19 post supplement guru Galvatron?

it has relevance for lifting weights too.

see
Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):142-9.

Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor co-activator 1 and cytochrome C are upregulated  when you lift weights too, thus vitamin c probably inhibits the training stimulus when you lift weights also.

how big the effect is in real life, i dont know. i dont worry about it.

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
isnt the best time to take ur vitamins early in the morning after ur breakfast ?

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
it has relevance for lifting weights too.

see
Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):142-9.

Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor co-activator 1 and cytochrome C are upregulated  when you lift weights too, thus vitamin c probably inhibits the training stimulus when you lift weights also.

Your Google-fu is strong grasshopper.  Hi TA!

So, I'll cut my mg in half, save some $ and switch the timing.  The only exception will be when I feel a cold coming on.
i

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
yeah, today i'm turning off the morning political dabte and just working on sites and thinking about BBing for once.

Vitamin C is very important for killing off those free radicals, which lead to cell damage and cancers.  I want to include it, I just dont' want to screw up lifting results thru it's use.  I think i'll stick with taking it in AM and at night, and avoid messing with training recovery.
good for you bro

Ive been real motivated the last 5 months or so lifting------started lifting in the morning before work (something Ive never done before)-- helps bigtime since I own a Tree company and usually do something during the day like climbing 70ft up or weilding a huge chainsaw for hrs and hrs ;D----

I spent around 5-6K and built my own gym though, rubber floors, cage, olympic weights, dumbells (no adjustable crap, all nice one piece) etc

One great thing I got though that isnt gym equipment though was a nice HD tv that I throw on an episode or two of whatever show Im obsessed with while I workout and I only watch that show while I work out (which helps motivate me since Im completely obsessive about that shit ;D)  Its great to have that time in teh day just to yourself-----no people at teh gym talking to you while your Ipod is in your ears, no smelly old people etc.  If you have the room and $$$$ builiding your own gym is key (just be prepared to do mad Squats, deadlifts and mad other great free weight exercises ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »
good for you bro

Ive been real motivated the last 5 months or so lifting------started lifting in the morning before work (something Ive never done before)-- helps bigtime since I own a Tree company and usually do something during the day like climbing 70ft up or weilding a huge chainsaw for hrs and hrs ;D----

I spent around 5-6K and built my own gym though, rubber floors, cage, olympic weights, dumbells (no adjustable crap, all nice one piece) etc

One great thing I got though that isnt gym equipment though was a nice HD tv that I throw on an episode or two of whatever show Im obsessed with while I workout and I only watch that show while I work out (which helps motivate me since Im completely obsessive about that shit ;D)  Its great to have that time in teh day just to yourself-----no people at teh gym talking to you while your Ipod is in your ears, no smelly old people etc.  If you have the room and $$$$ builiding your own gym is key (just be prepared to do mad Squats, deadlifts and mad other great free weight exercises ;)

I have a decent home gym - everything but a squat rack - but I can't lift in florida during the summer much, as it's 92 degrees at 7 am most days.

now that it's cool, i cleaned out the garage, and just go out there with an acoustic guitar or a magazine and spend 90 minutes at a time.  Yesterday I did 12 sets of incline bench press spaced over an hour, along with some other exercises.  sure beats the techno garbage they play in my fitness center.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
yeah, today i'm turning off the morning political dabte and just working on sites and thinking about BBing for once.

Vitamin C is very important for killing off those free radicals, which lead to cell damage and cancers.  I want to include it, I just dont' want to screw up lifting results thru it's use.  I think i'll stick with taking it in AM and at night, and avoid messing with training recovery.

It is Vitamin C dude.  If you are that worried then don't ever eat a piece of fruit again.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 09:21:03 AM »
when you beasts are ready pm me about your discovery...
Z

McSmacknuts

• Getbig II
  • Team JIZ!
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »
Duchaine was big on 500mg right before training for its anti-imflamatory effects.  Studies show it works, google it.  I really don't give a shit about cancer, but I know vit-C is a help for joint inflamation and muscle recovery.  Shit loads of free radicals are released when the muscles are broken down during training, C cleans that shit up.  Plus, its so cheap that the cost-benefit analysis give it good value.  There's tons of bullshit I would never spend money on NO, glutamine, bull testicles, and all the shit supplement companies are pushing.  But, I do take vit-C caps and vit-B injects.  Can't go wrong with basic micronutrient and the macronutrients (PRO, FAT, CRB).  My 2 cents....

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »
where is candizzle when you need him, this is right up his alley.

i dont know the answer, but i get the majority of vitamin c in the morning w/ my orange juice and fruit I eat for meal 1, then post workout the only vitamin c i get is in the squash/zucchini i eat.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »
i've been taking 2000mg-4000mg vit c daily for years now. i have also been up to the 290's in weight during this time, so no i do not believe it stops or hinders muscle gain. also ronnie coleman takes this amount too. it didn't do him much harm.
175lbs by 31st July

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »
If you train in the morning or afternoon take 1 gram of vitamin c with your evening meal. It helps with recovery and collagen production. It also helps to loosen your synovial fluid in your joints. I have been taking vit c since the 1970's and I havent died yet! If I have died, nobody told me.

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
Read Franco's bodybuilders nutrition book. Borders carries it. Seriously it is dead on correct. Franco even explains about how "wonder supplements" are a waste of money. All he recommends are vitamins and minerals and digestive enzymes. It was written in 1986 and I doubt the human body has changed since. check it out.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
Just take your vitamins, leave the bs "studies".

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 12:29:54 PM »
I've read it kills free radicals in the body

antioxidants dont kill radicals.....but they do neutralize them.

I take vitamin C and E before training. You need time for the nutrients to be absorbed into the blood. Taking them after the workout is ok, but its kind of like a day late and a dollar short.

Galvatron

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
If you train in the morning or afternoon take 1 gram of vitamin c with your evening meal. It helps with recovery and collagen production. It also helps to loosen your synovial fluid in your joints. I have been taking vit c since the 1970's and I havent died yet! If I have died, nobody told me.

nobody has said you will die if you take 1g of vitamin c per day, you simply dont need to take more than 500mg at a time.

Galvatron

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
Read Franco's bodybuilders nutrition book. Borders carries it. Seriously it is dead on correct. Franco even explains about how "wonder supplements" are a waste of money. All he recommends are vitamins and minerals and digestive enzymes. It was written in 1986 and I doubt the human body has changed since. check it out.

no, read more up-to-date books and studies. the human body hasnt changed since 1986 but the knowledge about how various vitamins effect the body has changed.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »
Ime sure the extra effort to take this vitamin C will be worth it to attain that 0.000000001lbs of extra muscle per year.
 ::)

Galvatron

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
i've been taking 2000mg-4000mg vit c daily for years now. i have also been up to the 290's in weight during this time, so no i do not believe it stops or hinders muscle gain. also ronnie coleman takes this amount too. it didn't do him much harm.

2000-4000mg is overkill even if it hasnt harmed you.

its not like vitamin C is highly toxic.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
2000-4000mg is overkill even if it hasnt harmed you.

its not like vitamin C is highly toxic.

i believe in the linus pauling's discovery of heart protection/heart disease cure via high dosages of vitamin c  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »
4 to 6 grams daily for years and my arteries are 100% clear as of 6 months ago. Is it the Vit C? I believe it is and that's all that matters.  :)

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
In downhill runners?  Weight training isn't exactly downhill running.

Who's gimmick are you anyway, Mr. 19 post supplement guru Galvatron?

c'on Luke...You showed up on an IFBB stage with a physique that would have been out of the top 5 at most local state shows...You should be open to anything my friend ;)

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »
4 to 6 grams daily for years and my arteries are 100% clear as of 6 months ago. Is it the Vit C? I believe it is and that's all that matters.  :)

how did you have your arteries tested 6 months ago to show this...I know there arent any insurance companies that would pay for such a thing unless you had a problem...So you either shelled out over 10 G's or this post is BS...

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
Your Google-fu is strong grasshopper.  Hi TA!

jealousy

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »
I have a decent home gym - everything but a squat rack - but I can't lift in florida during the summer much, as it's 92 degrees at 7 am most days.

uh, perhaps some light ac or even a fan would do the trick

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »

now that it's cool, i cleaned out the garage, and just go out there with an acoustic guitar or a magazine and spend 90 minutes at a time.  Yesterday I did 12 sets of incline bench press spaced over an hour, along with some other exercises.  sure beats the techno garbage they play in my fitness center.

David Goggins would have already ran 20 miles before you even got up at 7am...And that would be just a warm up

www.americanmilitaryfami ly.org/david_goggins.asp