Author Topic: development of arms  (Read 4090 times)

anabolic33

• Getbig I
development of arms
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
im havin a hard time developing my arms. and no im not a shmo in the gym just lookin to get big arms. iv been able to develop the rest my body but my arms are lacking, mainly the lower portions of my arms towards my elbows. during my arm workouts i get great pumps and feel like i had a great workout but yet they just wont grow. any advice would help,thanks.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: development of arms
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
You should really  post this in the training board, this board is for steroid discussion.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
mainly the lower portions of my arms towards my elbows.
yeah you cant really do much about that.. build as big as triceps as you can and whether or not your lower is as big as your upper depends on your genetic muscle attachement points and other things..

as for building arms the key to big arms is big triceps, they are 2/3 the arm

some people do well with heavy some people do well with the pump, some people do well with cables some do well with free weights.... you just have to play around for a while and see what feels right for you and what works right for you

io856

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
My triceps look flat and don't have that 'hang' is there any exercises that target the upper portion of the tricep head near the rear delt?

Also a lot of people talk about 'weight' but there is an exercise I recently started which absolutly leaves the triceps in pain/fully stimulated but I can only use small weight. Would I be better off abandoning this for a movement which uses heavy weights?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »
My triceps look flat and don't have that 'hang' is there any exercises that target the upper portion of the tricep head near the rear delt?

Also a lot of people talk about 'weight' but there is an exercise I recently started which absolutly leaves the triceps in pain/fully stimulated but I can only use small weight. Would I be better off abandoning this for a movement which uses heavy weights?
Any overhead movement or extension behind the head.  Weight isn't the only thing that matters.
Squishy face retard

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:24 AM »
Genetic thing.
Abandoning curls and doing chins/cgbp with a slow negative worked for me.
Also try DC stretches.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:45:23 AM »
start working your legs.  ::)

Then your arms will come along, seriously.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 06:18:44 AM »
to thicken the lower portion of the tri do movements that stretch it like overhead extentions/pushdowns or lying extentions work great - but try not to lock out the arm, keep the tension on the muscle the whole time - this alone will work.

or for the next 4 weeks, do an extra 2 sets after your normal arm workout of partial reps only in the strech half - this will work very well.

for bi's work the first half/lower half of the curl to thicken the lower bi, again add 2 sets of this after your normal workout. You should see results very quickly.

you could also ditch your usual arm workout and just do supersets of these partials.

however like candy said, it may be genetic muscle insertions etc thats the problem rather than your workout/excercises - if the above does not work, then its genetic.
175lbs by 31st July

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:41:28 AM »
im havin a hard time developing my arms. and no im not a shmo in the gym just lookin to get big arms. iv been able to develop the rest my body but my arms are lacking, mainly the lower portions of my arms towards my elbows. during my arm workouts i get great pumps and feel like i had a great workout but yet they just wont grow. any advice would help,thanks.

alot of it is genetics, of course...but you can still make progress
try heavy weights and basic exercises, like bbell curls, weighted dips, hammer curls, etc)
another thing that worked for me is doing arms after large body parts like chest and back, and alternating this with "arms-only" workout for 2-3 weeks out of every 3 months...then back to combined schedule

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Sounds like you have  higher tendon tricep inserts. So that full tricep sweep, starting from the elbow upwards, is not present. Can stretch it all you want, but those higher inserts are going to stay the same. That can also go for high biceps, calfs, etc. Some people believe that by doing "low" lat exercises they can develop a lower lat sweep. This, along with the fore mentioned triceps, is not true.  Like everyone else, you came into this world with the genetic body you were given.

This is not to say that a full potential for size and strength is not possible.  Lot of big guns out there who do not have that perfect structure of the triceps. Lot of big guns out there that have flat, rather than high  peaked) biceps. Guy's here gave a lot of good suggestions for improved triceps exercises.

One thing I do not know is why working the legs will produce larger arms (I understand the truth that more hormones & growth chemicals are released into the blood stream from the glands for muscle building). For some it may be true, but for most I would disagree. See a lot of heavy squater's (and other leg exercises) either BB'er or PL'ers, who have relative average arms. Seen others who are upper body artist,never working the lower body, with outstanding arm development. One thing that does seem to help with impressive arm size is doing some serious delt work with arm work. Like overhead presses (BB or DB), PBN's & Up-right rows or Hi-pulls. Gymnast come to mind when speaking of outstanding and complete armdevelopment and very light legs. Good luck.
F

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
start working your legs.  ::)

Then your arms will come along, seriously.

agreed

everything starts to grow when you start training legs

you will be surprised

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »
Agreed with jpm about working delts with arms.  I read something awhile ago about training delts before biceps, cant remember details but I like it.

I like bench dips for triceps, you can really pile the plates on your lap for that one.

+ 1-arm overhead Db extensions.  Partial reps in stretch position like fatpanda said.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 05:11:56 AM »
The search function in this forum is your friend. :o

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
Sounds like you have  higher tendon tricep inserts. So that full tricep sweep, starting from the elbow upwards, is not present. Can stretch it all you want, but those higher inserts are going to stay the same. That can also go for high biceps, calfs, etc. Some people believe that by doing "low" lat exercises they can develop a lower lat sweep. This, along with the fore mentioned triceps, is not true.  Like everyone else, you came into this world with the genetic body you were given.

This is not to say that a full potential for size and strength is not possible.  Lot of big guns out there who do not have that perfect structure of the triceps. Lot of big guns out there that have flat, rather than high  peaked) biceps. Guy's here gave a lot of good suggestions for improved triceps exercises.

One thing I do not know is why working the legs will produce larger arms (I understand the truth that more hormones & growth chemicals are released into the blood stream from the glands for muscle building). For some it may be true, but for most I would disagree. See a lot of heavy squater's (and other leg exercises) either BB'er or PL'ers, who have relative average arms. Seen others who are upper body artist,never working the lower body, with outstanding arm development. One thing that does seem to help with impressive arm size is doing some serious delt work with arm work. Like overhead presses (BB or DB), PBN's & Up-right rows or Hi-pulls. Gymnast come to mind when speaking of outstanding and complete armdevelopment and very light legs. Good luck.
agree with this, but can one train biceps with pulling days like back,which normally many people do,and triceps on separate days well spaced from pressing days, how can we hit the muscle in every angle?without overtraining them?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
I always had small arms.  While they're still not great, I found they started growing when I slowed the reps down on biceps.  VEry slow - 4 to 5 seconds on way up, 3 seconds on the way down.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 07:37:49 PM »
try supersets
I feel like my arms work best when doing them and I actually gained 1 whole inch in a month of using this
cable curls + tricep pushdowns
4 sets of each, alternate
cablecurl
pushdown
cablecurl
..you know

ASJChaotic

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
yeah you cant really do much about that.. build as big as triceps as you can and whether or not your lower is as big as your upper depends on your genetic muscle attachement points and other things..

as for building arms the key to big arms is big triceps, they are 2/3 the arm

some people do well with heavy some people do well with the pump, some people do well with cables some do well with free weights.... you just have to play around for a while and see what feels right for you and what works right for you

I think peak of the bicep is genetics too
I had massive bicep peaks before I even started to workout
some people have the big biceps with no peak which doesn't look half as impressive

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »
some people have the big biceps with no peak which doesn't look half as impressive
LOL, "massive". ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

ahh.. fk

• Getbig III
  • Greed is good
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

Pics?

ASJChaotic

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:29 PM »
Pics?
oh hell, people on here would ONLY post this pic over and over again no matter how many pictures I post
so I'll just post this pic before they start ...again
look at that bicep peak  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

io856

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:49 PM »
wow MemberX are you going in the Arnold Classic?  ???  :o

ASJChaotic

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 09:47:21 PM »
wow MemberX are you going in the Arnold Classic?  ???  :o
haha  :(
no, but I am entering Mr. Getbig III which is in 3 weeks...right here on getbig  ;D

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »

I guess Im not seeing it.....  They must be hiding behind this noodle here... 

ASJChaotic

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:51 PM »
I guess Im not seeing it.....  They must be hiding behind this noodle here... 
Oh i'm sorry ..do you like this one better?  :D  ::)

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Oh i'm sorry ..do you like this one better?  :D  ::)

Hahahahaah...  Nice!  LOL...