Author Topic: The end of the Weider era.  (Read 14922 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: The end of the Weider era.
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Getting back to the topic at hand. I have read accounts of Ben Weider travelling around the world signing up new countries under the IFBB banner. Yes, he was successful in this enterprise. What a pity the structure he left behind is so rigid. I honestly believe that he was too concerned about conquering other federations instead of doing what was best for bodybuilding. I remember the lengthy feud between York Barbell and Weider. The magazines would be against each other and I must say that Weider was the bad guy in the early years. I lived in Montreal when I attended McGill University but never thought about looking up Ben. I did look up Leo Robert a former Mr Universe who ran a gym there. I also visited Tony Lanza at his home as I respected his photography, especially the photos of Steve Reeves taken in 1947 on the St Lawrence River. Tony said the best time to take physique photos was about 5 pm so the sun is warm and the shadows not as harsh.

In August 1965 I visited York, Pa. to try to get a job writing for the Hoffman magazines. Dr. Terry Todd read my articles and suggested they were more suitable for the Weider magazines. That was not an option I ever considered. In 1980 I took several hundred photos of the Mr Olympia contestants. On the harbour cruise after the contest I told Joe Weider I had lots of shots. He told me to send him the contact sheets. I sent the photos to Ironman, MuscleMag and a German magazine. I didn't want to present anything to Joe. I guess, in retrospect, I made a decision that Joe wasn't the trainer of champions he claimed to be. Neither was Bob Hoffman the guru he presented to be. I think the only publisher I respected in those days was Peary Rader of Ironman. Now that man was a gentleman.

What bothered me was that most of these publishers didn't even lift weights. Oh, Joe had a go in the good old days so he qualifies as a bodybuilder. I don't think the others dared pose on a stage in briefs! Bob Hoffman used to boast about his strength and sexual prowess to anyone who would listen in his company gym.

Ben had a vision that was noble. Get bodybuilding into the Olympic Games. That would get the world's attention for sure. However, the scars from the old Hoffman-Lurie-Weider battles were still there and Joe and Ben never risked losing the monopoly they finally achieved in the sport. Ben diligently composed a thorough rule book and constitution for the IFBB. There must be no banned substances. When they didn't strictly and universally enforce those rules the IFBB lost credibility as a sporting organization. It joined the professional ones similar to boxing and wrestling that were basically companies and not organizations per se. Ben was a bit like Napoleon and didn't relinquish control of his platform until illness prevented him from carrying on. To his credit, Ben gave a speech at the Olympia thanking all those who were loyal contributors to his organization. That really was his final statement concerning what had been achieved.

The monument called the Mr Olympia contest reigns supreme in the minds of musclemen. It is the ultimate title and all dream of holding the Sandow statue as the winner. If only the drugs were eliminated from all contests. If only the injected oils were detected and forbidden. If only the augmentation of breasts disallowed from all female beauty and figure contests. The formula is simple, afterall. Reward the best natural physiques and figures on stage. Had that been Ben's mission then the sport might be a great pastime instead of an underground, embarrassing one. We are all tarred by what Ben failed to enforce. We have argued about this issue often on Getbig and elsewhere and the question remains. Why did the IFBB abandon drug testing? Why weren't the rules followed? When Ben lost the vision and chose to dominate the sport and enforce his virtual monopoly he lost his mission and the sport suffered for it. I doubt things can easily be addressed to undo the damage created by sweeping the health issues under the carpet. It will take a very brave organization to return bodybuilding to a sport that will be respected by gym owners, PE teachers, the medical community, and the general public.

io856

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
Athletes will always find a way to pass detection. Stop posturing about performance enhancing substances and start concentrating on the development of the sport itself. Without those "oils" you talk about you don't have bodybuilding simple as that. You know as well as anyone, dianabol man.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
There were no rules against Dianabol or any other performance enhancing drugs in 1970. I would be 100% natural if I were competing today. I started training in Jan 1959 and didn't try any pills until 11 years later. 2 Dianabol/day for about 8 weeks.

Arnold and other contemporaries all denied using drugs in those days.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2008, 12:21:23 AM »
Sad that Vince's truthful posts here are met with some derision by those who prefer the purportedly raw & uncut daily getbig revisionist presentation of reality. The truth that Vince is one of the very few here who lived the BB life during it's formative years, and is willing to share those perspectives and context with most here who never experienced anything like it firsthand. Instead the masses here and elsewhere prefer sacharine internet hearsay.

io856

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »
Vince has some amazing ideas about the industry formulated from a lifetime in the iron game. I think too many people dismiss his posts before even getting into them. I guarantee if they did, they would find the posts very thought provoking and interesting. At the end of the day if he makes the reader question the current situation its very helpful. I for one am very grateful for his contributions to the board. Almost every time I read one of his threads he provides a unique perceptive. Its nice to have some reflection and independent thought amongst a litany of filth (I enjoy that too). As far as all that anti-IFBB talk maybe Vince is best leaving that for conversations with Gary Lewer or some other NABBA competitor. He is possibly burning bridges by 'talking out' against the current structures, particularly under his real name.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
Amazing, Basile.....you actually fit all three profiles...

loser...check.
Old Guy.....check.
People not in the loop.....checkmate.
You'r new favourite phrase : " SHUT UP! YOU'RE NOT IN THE LOOP!"

The oly thing more ridiculous than your assclown outfits are your statements on getbig.

Here are some designer shirts to choose from , for your next IFBB event.

Good luck shopping!  :)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 05:08:25 AM »
Basile gives me the heebie jeebies

:o  You can't say that on Getbig!  Ron'll put the Sheeny Curse on you!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 05:55:51 AM »
affliction jean= epitome of tackiness

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 06:47:53 AM »
Vince are you gay?  Not an insult or anything, just wondering.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »
Gotta admit that when Vince submits non-vindictive posts - they are very interesting and based on my recollection of the early days - mostly factual.

Here's my two-cents to back up some of his statements ....

If the Hoffman group still promoted bodybuilding under the banner of the AAU, the bodybuilders would still be hitting the stage for the finals at 2 AM in the morning immediately following the Olympic Lifting awards. And the question of muscle enhancing products would still be as prominent as it is today.

And that was almost a strong possibility.

The Weiders made something that was virtually non-acceptable - acceptable by a large percentage of the world's population. And they did that through hard work and utmost dedication under extremely critical conditions.

They, and they alone, were responsible for the rise of bodybuilding and the popularity of some of those who have excelled in the competitive aspect of the game.