Author Topic: Substitute Teachers  (Read 9554 times)

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
Substitute Teachers
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
How much do substitute teachers really make?  A friend of mine is a substitute teacher and claims he makes about 50k per year.  I call BS.  What do you think?

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
Re: Substitute Teachers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
How much do substitute teachers really make?  A friend of mine is a substitute teacher and claims he makes about 50k per year.  I call BS.  What do you think?

you associate with substitute teachers? according to republicans that put you in the lower class category, i say substitutes make less that 30k a year

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »
50k?  pfffff, yea right.  I'm from Jersey and I substituted a couple of years ago while applying to graduate school.  I got $100 a day, so you can pretty much do that math from there.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
$90 per day in Florida, but there is currently a hiring freeze since 10% of our teachers were laid off this year.

They're resoting to placing Mountain Dew ads on the sides of school buses to pay the bills.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
you associate with substitute teachers? according to republicans that put you in the lower class category, i say substitutes make less that 30k a year

she's an art teacher at that! Liberal to death.
$

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

In LA $150-200 per day.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
How much do substitute teachers really make?  A friend of mine is a substitute teacher and claims he makes about 50k per year.  I call BS.  What do you think?

Depends on how long they have been teaching.

Out here in Los Angeles, they can get $150 per day, but you need to be a teacher for a while.  Also, are they teachers in elementary, high school or college?

But 50K is alot

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »
$90 per day in Florida, but there is currently a hiring freeze since 10% of our teachers were laid off this year.

They're resoting to placing Mountain Dew ads on the sides of school buses to pay the bills.

Good plan.  "Protein burns in the furnace of the carbohydrate."  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
the next step is ads on the inside - they're fighting that.  Some parents are upset their kid will be staring at a Pepsi Max ad for 45 minutes every morning and afternoon, and come home and go right for the fridge.

Of course, at every school there are about 6 or 8 "administrative assistants" making $45k a year to wander around the hall with a clipboard and look busy.  Brutal waste of $.

I have worked at a university, grocery stores, public schools, law firms, and more... and the biggest waste I ever saw - by far - was when I was teaching.  Many teachers squander time, steal resources, and do a shabby job because once they work 3 years, they have a guaranteed job for the next 27 years.

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies, sounds like 50k is possible but not likely.  Is anyone on getbig.com a substitute teacher that can give some insight?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:44:05 AM »
50k isn't possible.

There are only 180 days per school year.  We'll assume you're a super-substitute who gets to work every day (in reality, you get no work during first 2 weeks of school or during testing).

At the insanely high rate of SoCal - $150 per day - you'd only earn 27k for the year.

At the average rate of $100 per day, you'd only earn $18,000 per year. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »
Don't know if you saw the videos Jaguar posted on the nutrition board awhile ago Rob.  The later ones (in a series or 5 I think) had some spooky stuff about advertising aimed at kids.  You can blame an adult if their dietary damage is self inflicted but kids are easy victims for advertisers.

Bet the one with the most money - the companies - will eventually win.  They'll have tv screens inside halls and lockers running commercials within 10 years.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
Prison guards make $250+ per day. Comedy.
a

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
Your friend is full of shit.  Even most teacher dont make that much money, my girl is currently a teacher and she make 32,000, before that she was a sub and they made 110 bucks a day.  Obviously in some bigger states than Kansas can probably make more, but 50 grand, no way.

Sassyclassywoman

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »
I call bullshit.  Most university teachers here make around 42 grand a year. 

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
In Belfast a sub teacher clears £132 after tax national insurance etc per day...so if you do that 3x a week ur on a tidy number.

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 12:56:12 PM »
Okay, I think I've established that my friend is indeed bullshitting.

I dont know how my buddy will be repaying his student loans, that's how the discussion started and he got defensive saying he makes 50k so it wont be a problem.  I wonder if there is some type of clemency out there for university grads who get knee deep in student loans then don't earn much because they are a substitute teacher.

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
Depends on how long they have been teaching.

Out here in Los Angeles, they can get $150 per day, but you need to be a teacher for a while.  Also, are they teachers in elementary, high school or college?

But 50K is alot

Ron, subs make a flat rate, it doesnt matter how how long you have been doing it.. But long term subs( subbing for one class for over 20 days) make about $210 for a 6 hour day.. Not too bad!
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
suburban Chicago high schools pay $300-$320 per day
Air Falcon

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
The highest category teacher here in Toronto makes 86,000 a year.  He or she would make that starting their ninth school year.  They start at around 42,000 and get raises each year until they reach their ninth year.  Then they get a bump in pay depending on what the union is able to negotiate during the contract renewal.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
My ex was getting paid 200 a day, while she was still in college.
A

Kentucky_cowboy

• Getbig II
  • Team Lean Face
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
It's a hard knock life for substitute teachers like my buddy who are trying to repay their student loans.  They might as well go back to school to become an attorney or something.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »
The highest category teacher here in Toronto makes 86,000 a year.  He or she would make that starting their ninth school year.  They start at around 42,000 and get raises each year until they reach their ninth year.  Then they get a bump in pay depending on what the union is able to negotiate during the contract renewal.

That sounds about right.  Doesn't sound like a lot but when you factor in that they get 3 months of vacation every year and a relatively relaxed lifestyle it doesn't look so bad anymore. 

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
Someone should ask Paul Hupp aka JohnnyVegas, if he has the balls to ever post here again, about this. Substitute teaching is what he does, it seems to pay so much that at 47 yrs old he lives at home with his mom. ;D
I am a big baby

HBeef

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 09:19:48 PM »
Glad to help . . .

" The Plaintiff presents himself as bright, educated and able to22communicate both orally and in writing.He admits he can obtain23substitute teaching positions at $105/day (about $13.00 per hour), and24has held other positions at a similar rate of pay.Even with these25positions, he could earn over $27,000 per year.If he continues with26the expenses of his present lifestyle, the loans could be repaid in27fewer than five years.The Plaintiff failed to meet his burden of28proof on the second prong."

PH LLB