Author Topic: Unstable push-ups  (Read 1092 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Unstable push-ups
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »

I'm thinking of working these in as a supplementary exercise on upper body days to help with my bench.  I'm working from a mostly Westside Barbell template right now, I'm thinking they could be a badass tricep exercise with a close grip.  Anyone used them in that context (or at all) before?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Unstable push-ups
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »
Lots of athletes do that (and many more versions) type of push-up. Give it a try  and see what happens. If you want to do another bwt movement than do yourself a favor and look into handstand push-ups. With the feet against a wall or someone keeping the legs straight for you. Learn to do these while the hands are on a set of 6" blocks(or higher), which allows you to go down further between them.  Excellent  for the triceps and all around pressing muscles. Can transfer over to the bench quite well. Can even add weight after a awhile, with the help of a training Bud.

Another superior exercise for benching, and hitting the triceps hard, are dips (probably need a dipping belt after awhile).  Seen  quite a few good bencher's include the PBN in their training protocol for all around big bench pressing power. Good Luck.

Side Bar: No offense but the WestSide training methods are not meant for everyone. Excellent style of training for those with some serious experience and  who can adjust to that advanced form of training. A lot of guy's will try to  tweak it on their own, not following it the correct way. Trying to add this or remove that and expect solid and steady progress. Not a good idea.
F

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Unstable push-ups
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:10 AM »
Side Bar: No offense but the WestSide training methods are not meant for everyone. Excellent style of training for those with some serious experience and  who can adjust to that advanced form of training. A lot of guy's will try to  tweak it on their own, not following it the correct way. Trying to add this or remove that and expect solid and steady progress. Not a good idea.

No offense taken.  I've been on it for several months and have been getting continually stronger.  Can't ask for much more than that.