Author Topic: Troops Support McCain 3-1  (Read 5985 times)

The Coach

Troops Support McCain 3-1
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »
A  poll by the Military Times newspaper group suggests that there is overwhelming support for John McCain among U.S. troops in every branch of the armed forces by a nearly 3-1 margin.

According to the poll, 68 percent of active-duty and retired servicemen and women support McCain, while 23 percent support Barack Obama. The numbers are nearly identical among officers and enlisted troops.

Click here to see the raw data.

The Military Times, which publishes the Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times and Air Force Times, polled 80,000 subscribers from Sept 22 to Sept. 29. The non-scientific survey gathered 4,300 respondents -- all of them registered and eligible to vote.

A racial divide was immediately evident among the respondents. Nearly eight in 10 black servicemembers chose Obama, while McCain captured 76 percent of white voters and 63 percent of Hispanic voters.

Click here to see more on this story from FOX News.

Numbers among men and women respondents were also visibly different. Men overwhelmingly said they would vote for McCain, 70 percent to 22 percent. But among women the margin was much closer: 53 percent support McCain, while 36 percent support Obama.

U.S. troops also said in the poll that they prefer McCain to handle the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- 74 percent said McCain would perform better, while just 19 percent said Obama would.

Four years ago the Iraq War was the single most important issue on which the military voted. But the war now ranks third in importance to these voters. The most important issue among the respondents was character (42 percent), followed by the economy (25 percent) and the Iraq War (16 percent).

There was a racial divide on these issues, as well. Black servicemembers said the economy was the No. 1 issue that affected their vote, and white troops said character was paramount.

The Military Times offered certain caveats for its poll, which was open only to its 80,000 subscribers. Responses were entirely voluntary and were not focused on a representative sample of the public, as scientific polls are. The troops polled were also somewhat older than average enlisted servicemembers and included more officers than is representative of the military as a whole.

Yet judging by the numbers, it appears that the Democratic party has not made many inroads into the traditionally Republican military.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/21/poll-troops-support-mccain/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Troops Support McCain 3-1
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »
68% of them support mccain and his 'stay in iraq' strategy.

That means 32% of them do not.

Looks like 1 out of 3 troops in iraq wants to get his ass home.

The Coach

Troops Support McCain 3-1
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »
A  poll by the Military Times newspaper group suggests that there is overwhelming support for John McCain among U.S. troops in every branch of the armed forces by a nearly 3-1 margin.

According to the poll, 68 percent of active-duty and retired servicemen and women support McCain, while 23 percent support Barack Obama. The numbers are nearly identical among officers and enlisted troops.

The Military Times, which publishes the Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times and Air Force Times, polled 80,000 subscribers from Sept 22 to Sept. 29. The non-scientific survey gathered 4,300 respondents -- all of them registered and eligible to vote.

A racial divide was immediately evident among the respondents. Nearly eight in 10 black servicemembers chose Obama, while McCain captured 76 percent of white voters and 63 percent of Hispanic voters.

Numbers among men and women respondents were also visibly different. Men overwhelmingly said they would vote for McCain, 70 percent to 22 percent. But among women the margin was much closer: 53 percent support McCain, while 36 percent support Obama.

U.S. troops also said in the poll that they prefer McCain to handle the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- 74 percent said McCain would perform better, while just 19 percent said Obama would.

Four years ago the Iraq War was the single most important issue on which the military voted. But the war now ranks third in importance to these voters. The most important issue among the respondents was character (42 percent), followed by the economy (25 percent) and the Iraq War (16 percent).

There was a racial divide on these issues, as well. Black servicemembers said the economy was the No. 1 issue that affected their vote, and white troops said character was paramount.

The Military Times offered certain caveats for its poll, which was open only to its 80,000 subscribers. Responses were entirely voluntary and were not focused on a representative sample of the public, as scientific polls are. The troops polled were also somewhat older than average enlisted servicemembers and included more officers than is representative of the military as a whole.

Yet judging by the numbers, it appears that the Democratic party has not made many inroads into the traditionally Republican military.

Click here for more on this story from the Military Times.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »

Good job ::)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
Do you know the size of the survey? Because most polls are worthless - IMO.

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
Do you know the size of the survey? Because most polls are worthless - IMO.

Click on the link

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »

51% of Americans want Obama to win

That means 47% want Obama to lose.

Your post doesn't mean anything. If the service member didn't want to be where they are, they should not have joined. I am sure all service members would like to be home and not in Iraq, but they signed on for service. I didn't want to serve in Just Cause back in 89 but I did it because I signed on the dotted line.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
'Troops' aren't really that intelligent.

They count on us to look out for them.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »
Click on the link

I did...the Raw Data says nothing. It just breaks it down by race, enlisted, etc.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »
yes most are morons. some of my friends are marines, good guys but they are not that bright let alone know something about politics.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »
Good job ::)

It's time to end this elective, piece of shit war, Joe.

This was a voluntary survey to those subscribed to this publication (older, lifers who are stationary and not in the field).
And 1 in 3 of them was willing to put their name on something saying they are tired of this piece of shit war.

If a third of lifer readers will admit it, I'm betting the support among the kids getting shot at in baghdad is a lot less.  

Do you even know what the war is about anymore, Joe?

Saddam is dead, they have their own govt.  Their leaders and population have both said they want us out.  They want to handle the terrorists, so they can be brutal and kill them fast.  It's about military spending, Joe.  $3billion a week goes to military private firms.  That's what this war is about joe.  Borrowing $ from China in our name to feed to corporations.  That's it.  Not freedom, not democracy, not even oil.  Iraq told us to piss off, no bases, and they sold the oil drilling to China.

We're there for sustained spending.  I hope you realize that.

lastrep

• Getbig III
  • One Last Rep!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
"TROOPS" don't want to lose their jobs. Who in their right mind would want to lose their job? Think about it..

The fact that 1/3 actually would rather quit their job and go home to nothing is a pretty strong statement.  :-\

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »

Yes and we count on them to protect us and to allow us to post on Getbig without having to worry about getting shot or bombed. 

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »

I resent your remark... I believe the "troops" know exactly what they are doing and are intelligent.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »
I resent your remark... I believe the "troops" know exactly what they are doing and are intelligent.

How long were you a 'troop'?

Which branch? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:25:20 AM »
Yes and we count on them to protect us and to allow us to post on Getbig without having to worry about getting shot or bombed. 

We haven't fought a war defending our soil since 1812.

All wars since then have been for overseas interests.  Hope the helps.

It's about our 'way of life', or sustaining US corporate influence overseas.  The business of war.  We have 800 bases overseas, China is next with 80.  We spend more on military spending that the next 22 natinos COMBINED.  War is big busienss.

Who is the last Iraqi you had to cap on your front lawn?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »

Click here for more on this story from the Military Times.

The only people who reads the Military Times is mostly elderly white people or almost retired military personnel...mostly conservative.  I never read it when I was serving and most soldiers in their 20's and 30's are reading Playboy or Penthouse....

Sorry Coach....doesn't really mean anything

A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
The Caucus | A New York Times
October 17, 2008, 5:33 pm

By Leslie Wayne

Senator John McCain has pulled slightly ahead of Senator Barack Obama in campaign contributions from military donors. But what set Mr. McCain over the top were donations that came from people working for the Department of Defense.
When it comes to the uniformed military, Mr. Obama is still ahead.

The Center for Responsive Politics, which analyzes campaign finance data, reports that a surge of donations for Mr. McCain in the final months he was able to accept campaign contributions moved him into the lead. By the end of August, Mr. McCain received $461,350 from military donors to $450,950 for Mr. Obama.

One of the interesting trends of the election was that anti-war candidates, not only Mr. Obama but also Ron Paul, were getting more support from the uniformed military than hawkish Mr. McCain. That remains the case. Mr. Obama received $340,400 from members of the uniformed service branches compared to $321,500 for Mr. McCain. Mr. Paul had taken in $213,000 from uniformed service members.

The report also shows that Mr. Obama also is ahead of Mr. McCain in military donors with overseas addresses, both those working for the Department of Defense as well as members of the uniformed services. A total of $74,650 came in for Mr. Obama from those posted overseas to $16,600 for Mr. McCain.

Mr. McCain, who served in the military for many years and was a Vietnam P.O.W., is wellknown for his tussles in Congress with the Pentagon over cost overruns on weapon systems. But the Department of Defense is among his top twenty donors. And, as a Navy man, Mr. McCain got support from donors in the Army, which also made Mr. McCain’s top twenty list of donors.

No group of military donors appeared among Mr. Obama’s top twenty. But that was because the amounts that Mr. Obama raised are so large that the military donations, as a group, were not large enough to make his list.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »

Watch your f ucking mouth or I'll bash your skull in.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
It's time to end this elective, piece of shit war, Joe.

This was a voluntary survey to those subscribed to this publication (older, lifers who are stationary and not in the field).
And 1 in 3 of them was willing to put their name on something saying they are tired of this piece of shit war.

If a third of lifer readers will admit it, I'm betting the support among the kids getting shot at in baghdad is a lot less.  

Do you even know what the war is about anymore, Joe?

Saddam is dead, they have their own govt.  Their leaders and population have both said they want us out.  They want to handle the terrorists, so they can be brutal and kill them fast.  It's about military spending, Joe.  $3billion a week goes to military private firms.  That's what this war is about joe.  Borrowing $ from China in our name to feed to corporations.  That's it.  Not freedom, not democracy, not even oil.  Iraq told us to piss off, no bases, and they sold the oil drilling to China.

We're there for sustained spending.  I hope you realize that.

Does anyone really know why the war happened anymore? Shit the reasons seemed to change weekly.  

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »
How long were you a 'troop'?

Which branch? 

8 years, U.S Army.
I knew many service members from other branches that were top notch. Most of the ones that were not so sharp were non-intelligent getting fazed out. Most of the higher up Non-Commissioned officers were in the Army because sometime in the 70's and early 80's, the judge told them to go to the Army or go to Jail. They didn't want to the latter, so they joined the Army. Those days were pretty much over when I joined.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »
We haven't fought a war defending our soil since 1812.

All wars since then have been for overseas interests.  Hope the helps.

It's about our 'way of life', or sustaining US corporate influence overseas.  The business of war.  We have 800 bases overseas, China is next with 80.  We spend more on military spending that the next 22 natinos COMBINED.  War is big busienss.

Who is the last Iraqi you had to cap on your front lawn?

Exactly thanks for supporting my post.  What does that tell you about our troops and defense.  What do you think keeps our borders safe and not have any wars fought here.  We have bases overseas to keep the countries that support us stronger and to keep the countries who don't support us in check.  Honestly you are not that dumb.  I take it your post was sarcastic.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »

The only people who reads the Military Times is mostly elderly white people or almost retired military personnel...mostly conservative.  I never read it when I was serving and most soldiers in their 20's and 30's are reading Playboy or Penthouse....

Sorry Coach....doesn't really mean anything

typical repub fox news skewing of facts...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
Exactly thanks for supporting my post.  What does that tell you about our troops and defense.  What do you think keeps our borders safe and not have any wars fought here.  We have bases overseas to keep the countries that support us stronger and to keep the countries who don't support us in check.  Honestly you are not that dumb.  I take it your post was sarcastic.
Border Officers keep our borders safe. It is illegal according to American Law for military personnel to take on civilian police action unless directed by the President, Governor in a time of crisis or by Congress.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
its about time america gets a taste of his own poison. 9/11 was just a warmup. if they choose mccain im not feeling sorry anymore if something happens again.