Author Topic: Religion, the Founding Fathers, and the Constitution  (Read 14062 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Religion, the Founding Fathers, and the Constitution
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure people would still commit horrendous acts even as atheists. Some people suck no matter what. Wouldn't surprise me though if they justified slavery with holy scripture. But that's something I never studied so don't take my word for it. lol

You make good points there and I don't deny them. Maybe the discussion derailed a bit.

But I still hold firm at the opinion that the U.S was not founded as a christian nation and I'm sure the founding fathers of whom which most were deists and freemasons, would disagree with Loco.

lovemonkey,
I am not saying that the United States ever was, is or should be a "Christian Nation" or a theocracy.  

All I'm saying is that the Founding Fathers were Christians and that they founded the United States of America upon Judeo-Christian principles.

No, I'm not saying it does, in fact it's quite the opposite. I believe American intellectualism, at the time, was heavily influenced by French philosophy and thought, people like Voltaire and Rousseau, whose set of political ideas were indeed secular although, as with most of Europe, influenced (somewhat) by Christian beliefs, like it or not. The only difference is that these new ideas brought forth by all these philosophers were indeed put to practice in France, but not here in the States, where the Constitution was a façade to masquerade the fact that the (American) revolution DID NOT have a mass base, but it was only the idea of a group of masons.

Now, as to how influenced our Constitution is on Christian values... well, I'd say a lot, like all Constitutions written at the time. I mean, you won't see it in specific phrases or in multitude of passages, but in concepts, ideas, etc. That which you think is revolutionary can have a religious base, like the "all men are created equal" line, that has Christian thought written all over it, even thought it's not followed by "in the eyes of the Lord".

What I am saying is not exactly what Slapper is saying, but very close to it.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
Yes do go on.  But first, let me highlight your selective use of the definition you pulled from wiki.  The rest of the paragraph reads:

"Alternatively, it is a principle of promoting secular ideas or values in either public or private settings over religious ways of thought."

There is also this definition of secularist:  "One who is worldly rather than spiritual."  www.theism.net/authors/zjordan/docs_files/saint_files/terms.htm

But back to George Washington.  I read your quotes, but they don't explain why George Washington had a prayer book.  Why do you think he had a prayer book?  

And what about the Washington excerpts loco posted?  What is your take on this particular one:

Farewell Address, 1796:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.… And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.… Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

He very clearly says religion and morality are the foundations of political prosperity.  He also that morality and religion are inseparable.  

How nice of you to skip John Adams completely.  ::)

On the secular issue, I thought I made my statement pretty clear?

I meant that they practiced secularism in their jobs as rulers and founders.

If you don't mind I'm gonna copy and paste something I found on google on this prayer book you mentioned:

"Among the historians to question the prayer book's authenticity was Rupert Hughes. In his 1926 book "George Washington: The Human Being and the Hero," the first volume of his three volume biography of Washington, Hughes presented side by side images of the handwriting from the prayer book and examples from authentic Washington documents from the period in which the prayer book was allegedly written. It doesn't take a handwriting expert to see that they weren't written by the same person. But, the handwriting samples used by Rupert Hughes for his comparison were from 1748 (age sixteen) and 1757 (age twenty-five), allowing his critics to assert that there was a possibility that Washington's handwriting at age twenty differed from these samples, and might still match the prayer book. A number of other historians, however, including Worthington C. Ford, the editor of the second major collection of Washington's writings, also determined that the book was not in Washington's handwriting. A more recent handwriting comparison can be found in the 2005 book "The Ways of Providence: Religion & George Washington," by Frank E. Grizzard, Jr. of the University of Virginia. Grizzard uses a sample of Washington's handwriting at exactly age twenty, which, of course, is no closer to that in the prayer book than the slightly earlier and later samples used by Hughes."

Considering Washington's otherwise pretty deistic lifestyle I don't find it too surprising that this alleged book could be a fraud. It's up for speculation.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
lovemonkey,
I am not saying that the United States ever was, is or should be a "Christian Nation" or a theocracy.  

All I'm saying is that the Founding Fathers were Christians and that they founded the United States of America upon Judeo-Christian principles.

What I am saying is not exactly what Slapper is saying, but very close to it.

Again, most of the founders were deists and freemasons and many of them had some pretty nasty things to say about the Bible and the christian teachings. Why would they favor a christian point of view? Not to mention their quotes on the matter after the constitution had been written. EDIT: Not to mention the Treaty of Tripoli! The ENTIRE SENATE voted against your opinion.

You are just basically just speculating.
from incomplete data

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
Not talking about Schoolhouse Rock, LOL!

In the bigger picture, our laws are supposed to preserve as much individual freedom as possible. Most people are too stupid to get where their own personal freedoms begin and end.. that's why we need laws.  :)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
lovemonkey,
All I'm saying is that the Founding Fathers were Christians

I think you will find this website pretty entertaining or horrendous, up to you:

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/summer97/secular.html
from incomplete data

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2008, 04:47:51 AM »
Again, most of the founders were deists and freemasons and many of them had some pretty nasty things to say about the Bible and the christian teachings. Why would they favor a christian point of view? Not to mention their quotes on the matter after the constitution had been written. EDIT: Not to mention the Treaty of Tripoli! The ENTIRE SENATE voted against your opinion.

You are just basically just speculating.

No, I'm not speculating.  Like it or not,  the Founding Fathers were Christians and they founded the United States of America upon Judeo-Christian principles.  It's history and it's a fact.

Your claims are nothing but...well, secularist wishful thinking.

John Adams

Diary, 26 July 1796:
The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity, and humanity.

Letter to Jefferson, 1813:
The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion.

Address to the Military, 11 October 1798:
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
No, I'm not speculating.  Like it or not,  the Founding Fathers were Christians and they founded the United States of America upon Judeo-Christian principles.  It's history and it's a fact.

Your claims are nothing but...well, secularist wishful thinking.

John Adams

Diary, 26 July 1796:
The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity, and humanity.

Letter to Jefferson, 1813:
The Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion.

Address to the Military, 11 October 1798:
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other.

Where to begin?

NO, as I've said most of the founders were DEISTS and FREEMASONS. Not christians. Please refer to this website on this issue http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/summer97/secular.html Stop claiming that they founded the Constitution on judeo-christian principles, you just keep repeating it with no evidence.

On John Adams if you don't mind me copy and pasting:

"In his, "A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" [1787-1788], John Adams wrote:

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses. "

Doesn't say a tiny bit about whether the Constitution was founded upon Judeo-christian principles. Notice how I bring up quotes that actually says something about the foundation of america while you bring forth irrelevant ones. Perhaps there is a reason why you keep avoiding the Constitution? Yeah, because it's secular!

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people

You are sillier than I thought. The whole point of the Constitution was to keep church and gov separate and allow freedom of religion, it does NOT translate into your assumption that the foundation was founded on christian values.

Please, I would be interested to see some quotes from the founding fathers that actually says that they founded the nation upon judeo-christian principles.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 05:39:31 AM »
Again, since you made no intent of stop using quotes, I'll abuse it myself.  ;D

"If indeed our Framers had aimed to found a Christian republic, it would seem highly unlikely that they would have forgotten to leave out their Christian intentions in the Supreme law of the land. In fact, nowhere in the Constitution do we have a single mention of Christianity, God, Jesus, or any Supreme Being. There occurs only two references to religion and they both use exclusionary wording. The 1st Amendment's says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. . ." and in Article VI, Section 3, ". . . no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
from incomplete data

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
How nice of you to skip John Adams completely.  ::)

On the secular issue, I thought I made my statement pretty clear?

If you don't mind I'm gonna copy and paste something I found on google on this prayer book you mentioned:

"Among the historians to question the prayer book's authenticity was Rupert Hughes. In his 1926 book "George Washington: The Human Being and the Hero," the first volume of his three volume biography of Washington, Hughes presented side by side images of the handwriting from the prayer book and examples from authentic Washington documents from the period in which the prayer book was allegedly written. It doesn't take a handwriting expert to see that they weren't written by the same person. But, the handwriting samples used by Rupert Hughes for his comparison were from 1748 (age sixteen) and 1757 (age twenty-five), allowing his critics to assert that there was a possibility that Washington's handwriting at age twenty differed from these samples, and might still match the prayer book. A number of other historians, however, including Worthington C. Ford, the editor of the second major collection of Washington's writings, also determined that the book was not in Washington's handwriting. A more recent handwriting comparison can be found in the 2005 book "The Ways of Providence: Religion & George Washington," by Frank E. Grizzard, Jr. of the University of Virginia. Grizzard uses a sample of Washington's handwriting at exactly age twenty, which, of course, is no closer to that in the prayer book than the slightly earlier and later samples used by Hughes."

Considering Washington's otherwise pretty deistic lifestyle I don't find it too surprising that this alleged book could be a fraud. It's up for speculation.

So you find some blurb on Google that claims George Washington never had a prayer book and refuse to give an opinion on that basis?  What a copout.

You also did not address this excerpt from Washington:

Farewell Address, 1796:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.… And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.… Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

What is your interpretation of his comments? 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2008, 06:14:11 AM »
Freedom of religion guarantees freedom from religion. :)

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »
So you find some blurb on Google that claims George Washington never had a prayer book and refuse to give an opinion on that basis?  What a copout.

You also did not address this excerpt from Washington:

Farewell Address, 1796:

What is your interpretation of his comments? 

We all pull most of our quotes and "facts" from google, so don't sit there and pretend like you are the only one with a personal library, shuffling through books before every post of yours.

Alright fair enough, you want an opinion on that book. If we would assume that the prayer book is legit and truly belonged to G. Washington. it is still from his youth and quite frankly contradicts his otherwise deistic lifestyle. He very rarely attended church and many of his closest companions said he was a deist. Besides the book, can you find any evidence that proves that George Washington was indeed a believing christian when creating the foundation of america?

On that farewell adress quote of yours, I've already said that most of the founding fathers were either deists or freemasons. NOT devout christians. So it is perfectly logical for them to believe in a god and not be christians. In that quote, where do you see him make any reference to the christian teachings?

And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion..

For George Washington to say anything other than this, he would basically have to be an atheist which he clearly was not. Many religious people, christians or not, believe in their supreme being to guide them through life morally like the little sheep they are. Forgive me for saying this, but I'm starting to assume you're one of them Bum.
from incomplete data

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »
Freedom of religion guarantees freedom from religion. :)

The First Amendment also guarantees the free exercise of religion. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »
The First Amendment also guarantees the free exercise of religion. 

They were obviously being prudent and didn't trust themselves. Sadly, they never could have guessed people could get more intolerant of other beliefs than puritans. :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
We all pull most of our quotes and "facts" from google, so don't sit there and pretend like you are the only one with a personal library, shuffling through books before every post of yours.

Alright fair enough, you want an opinion on that book. If we would assume that the prayer book is legit and truly belonged to G. Washington. it is still from his youth and quite frankly contradicts his otherwise deistic lifestyle. He very rarely attended church and many of his closest companions said he was a deist. Besides the book, can you find any evidence that proves that George Washington was indeed a believing christian when creating the foundation of america?

On that farewell adress quote of yours, I've already said that most of the founding fathers were either deists or freemasons. NOT devout christians. So it is perfectly logical for them to believe in a god and not be christians. In that quote, where do you see him make any reference to the christian teachings?

For George Washington to say anything other than this, he would basically have to be an atheist which he clearly was not. Many religious people, christians or not, believe in their supreme being to guide them through life morally like the little sheep they are. Forgive me for saying this, but I'm starting to assume you're one of them Bum.

Although I use Google quite a bit, I haven't been relying on Google for this discussion.  You haven't seen my library.   :)

So George Washington was simply a lost little boy when he wrote in his prayer book . . . at age 20?    

Attending church on a regular basis does not = Christian or non-Christian.  

Outside of his prayer book, which is pretty compelling evidence of his Christianity, the numerous passages cited by loco are also powerful evidence of Washington's Christianity.  But you're concluding is that in between his prayer book (which you say is from his youth) and his farewell address, both of which provide evidence of his religious convictions, he was somehow a purely secular.  I'm sure that's possible, but it's highly unlikely.  

Dude do you honestly think I give a rip whether you think I'm a "sheep"?  What the heck does that have to do with this discussion?  If you want to discuss the topic thread then do that.  What you’ve shown is the common inability to discuss the issues without attacking the person.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
They were obviously being prudent and didn't trust themselves. Sadly, they never could have guessed people could get more intolerant of other beliefs than puritans. :)

The lack of trust and the need for consistency and predictability are the primary reasons we have laws to begin with.  One of the reasons we have the Free Exercise Clause is to prevent censorship of religious views.   

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »
Although I use Google quite a bit, I haven't been relying on Google for this discussion.  You haven't seen my library.   :)

So George Washington was simply a lost little boy when he wrote in his prayer book . . . at age 20?    

Attending church on a regular basis does not = Christian or non-Christian.  

Outside of his prayer book, which is pretty compelling evidence of his Christianity, the numerous passages cited by loco are also powerful evidence of Washington's Christianity.  But you're concluding is that in between his prayer book (which you say is from his youth) and his farewell address, both of which provide evidence of his religious convictions, he was somehow a purely secular.  I'm sure that's possible, but it's highly unlikely.  

Dude do you honestly think I give a rip whether you think I'm a "sheep"?  What the heck does that have to do with this discussion?  If you want to discuss the topic thread then do that.  What you’ve shown is the common inability to discuss the issues without attacking the person.  

Well, are you not a sheep? You rely on historically incorrect holy scripture to dictate your life as many other hundreds of millions people do. That assumes you're a true christian if such a thing even exists, that is. It was a long shot to question your bias on this. Unnecessary? Yeah problaby.   ;)
I'll take your advice and refrain from personal attacks from here now on.

Never said he was a lost little boy. I would consider the age of 20 as "young" yes. I've done some further research on this prayer book and it seems like the book doesn't even have George's own name on it and it was discovered WAY after his death and no real historian will endorse it as being authentic. It really doesn't fit the criteria for "compelling evidence" now does it? If you would like to keep pushing this book as an argument for your thesis I think you need to defend it's validity.

Loco's quotes of Washington still make's no reference to christianity, strange huh? The quotes fit very well with the deistic beliefs of George Washington and not as theist christian. Where does Washington mention the Bible or Jesus as his source of goodwill?

This whole "secularists" thing has gotten a bit out of hand. I never claimed they were atheists or anti-theists as you would like to imply but there's no doubt they were far away from theistic christianity. As I've said before, they were deists and freemasons and it enabled their secular approach when writing down the Constitution. Therefore secularists as founders but as persons? No.

I try to address most of the arguments you bring up and I would like to see the favor returned from you.  :)
from incomplete data

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:31 PM »
DAWG

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »

Freemasonry explicitly and openly states that it is neither a religion nor a substitute for one. "There is no separate Masonic God", nor a separate proper name for a deity in any branch of Freemasonry.

Regular Freemasonry requires that its candidates believe in a Supreme Being, but the interpretation of the term is subject to the conscience of the candidate. This means that men from a wide range of faiths, including (but not limited to) Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, etc. can and have become Masons.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
Well, are you not a sheep? You rely on historically incorrect holy scripture to dictate your life as many other hundreds of millions people do. That assumes you're a true christian if such a thing even exists, that is. It was a long shot to question your bias on this. Unnecessary? Yeah problaby.   ;)
I'll take your advice and refrain from personal attacks from here now on.

Never said he was a lost little boy. I would consider the age of 20 as "young" yes. I've done some further research on this prayer book and it seems like the book doesn't even have George's own name on it and it was discovered WAY after his death and no real historian will endorse it as being authentic. It really doesn't fit the criteria for "compelling evidence" now does it? If you would like to keep pushing this book as an argument for your thesis I think you need to defend it's validity.

Loco's quotes of Washington still make's no reference to christianity, strange huh? The quotes fit very well with the deistic beliefs of George Washington and not as theist christian. Where does Washington mention the Bible or Jesus as his source of goodwill?

This whole "secularists" thing has gotten a bit out of hand. I never claimed they were atheists or anti-theists as you would like to imply but there's no doubt they were far away from theistic christianity. As I've said before, they were deists and freemasons and it enabled their secular approach when writing down the Constitution. Therefore secularists as founders but as persons? No.

I try to address most of the arguments you bring up and I would like to see the favor returned from you.  :)

My Christianity isn't the subject of the thread. 

Regarding George Washington's Christianity, let's look at the quotes loco provided:

Circular letter of farewell to the Army, 8 June 1783:
I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.

This is a prayer for his soldiers and fellow citizens and he calls God "the Divine Author of our blessed Religion."  He also says we can never be a happy nation without a "humble imitation" of our Divine Author.  Sounds like a Christian man to me.   

First Inaugural Address, 30 April 1789:
No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

Here he says the "invisible hand" directs the affairs of our country.  Again sounds like a man of faith.

The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.

Here he clearly says our country cannot disregard "eternal rules of order and right."  I interpret that to mean "God's law." 

Letter to General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches, May 1789:
While all men within our territories are protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences; it is rationally expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives, and the beneficence of their actions: for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society.

Here he specifically references a person being a "true Christian."  That pretty much speaks for itself. 

Farewell Address, 1796:

Here he says religion and morality support political prosperity.  Given his prior discussions of God, religion, and Christianity, it's safe to assume he is talking about Christianity in this address.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »

Freemasonry explicitly and openly states that it is neither a religion nor a substitute for one. "There is no separate Masonic God", nor a separate proper name for a deity in any branch of Freemasonry.

Regular Freemasonry requires that its candidates believe in a Supreme Being, but the interpretation of the term is subject to the conscience of the candidate. This means that men from a wide range of faiths, including (but not limited to) Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, etc. can and have become Masons.

You just made my argument even better. If you support Beach's side you are not exactly helping him out. Freemasonry is just a variation of Deists.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
My Christianity isn't the subject of the thread. 

Regarding George Washington's Christianity, let's look at the quotes loco provided:

Circular letter of farewell to the Army, 8 June 1783:
I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.

This is a prayer for his soldiers and fellow citizens and he calls God "the Divine Author of our blessed Religion."  He also says we can never be a happy nation without a "humble imitation" of our Divine Author.  Sounds like a Christian man to me.   

No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

Here he says the "invisible hand" directs the affairs of our country.  Again sounds like a man of faith.

The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.

Here he clearly says our country cannot disregard "eternal rules of order and right."  I interpret that to mean "God's law." 

Letter to General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches, May 1789:
While all men within our territories are protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of their consciences; it is rationally expected from them in return, that they will be emulous of evincing the sanctity of their professions by the innocence of their lives, and the beneficence of their actions: for no man, who is profligate in his morals, or a bad member of the civil community, can possibly be a true Christian, or a credit to his own religious society.

Here he specifically references a person being a "true Christian."  That pretty much speaks for itself. 

Farewell Address, 1796:

Here he says religion and morality support political prosperity.  Given his prior discussions of God, religion, and Christianity, it's safe to assume he is talking about Christianity in this address.

This is pretty weak, come on.

If I would reference someone as christian would that also make me one? No. George is just stating that the teachings of christianity is just and moral. I would have to disagree with him on that but that is another topic.
Again, where does George describe himself as being a believing/theistic christian?
If he truly was you MUST be able to find better quotes than that.

You seem to have a hard time grasping this whole Deist thing. It is perfectly normal for a deist to say the things Washington does in your quotes.

Now my revenge for the shameless quote spewing  ;D

"George Washington, the first president of the United States, never declared himself a Christian according to contemporary reports or in any of his voluminous correspondence. Washington Championed the cause of freedom from religious intolerance and compulsion. When John Murray (a universalist who denied the existence of hell) was invited to become an army chaplain, the other chaplains petitioned Washington for his dismissal. Instead, Washington gave him the appointment. On his deathbed, Washington uttered no words of a religious nature and did not call for a clergyman to be in attendance. "

"Washington revealed almost nothing to indicate his spiritual frame of mind, hardly a mark of a devout Christian. In his thousands of letters, the name of Jesus Christ never appears. He rarely spoke about his religion, but his Freemasonry experience points to a belief in deism. Washington's initiation occurred at the Fredericksburg Lodge on 4 November 1752, later becoming a Master mason in 1799, and remained a freemason until he died.

To the United Baptist Churches in Virginia in May, 1789, Washington said that every man "ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience."

After Washington's death, Dr. Abercrombie, a friend of his, replied to a Dr. Wilson, who had interrogated him about Washington's religion replied, "Sir, Washington was a Deist." "
from incomplete data

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2008, 06:16:44 AM »
NO, as I've said most of the founders were DEISTS and FREEMASONS. Not christians.

Do you even know what a freemason is?  John Jay was a founding father, a freemason and a devout Christian.

http://www.earlyamericanhistory.net/freemasonry.htm

John Jay(December 12, 1745 – May 17, 1829) was an American politician, statesman, revolutionary, diplomat, and jurist. Considered one of the "founding fathers" of the United States,
one of the framers of the Constitution, was appointed by George Washington in 1789 to be the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (and later served two terms as governor of New York).
http://www.supremecourthistory.org/02_history/subs_timeline/images_chiefs/001.html

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. It is to be regretted, but so I believe the fact to be, that except the Bible there is not a true history in the world" - John Jay