Author Topic: Hack Squats. Knees. WTF  (Read 3862 times)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
Hack Squats. Knees. WTF
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
Tried them for the first time on thursday.  Are they meant to feel like your legs are gonna break in half at the knee? Or am I somehow doing them wrong?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Hack Squats. Knees. WTF
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
put your feet further up on the platform and experiment with depth.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:29:27 AM »
Hacks simply put more shear pressure on the knees than free weight squats.

Do Hacks 2nd or 3rd in your workout....make sure you are totally warmed up.

powerbar

• Getbig IV
  • I am a good man.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
You talking about Bar Hacks or Machine Hacks?  Regardless of which you did, if even your warm ups felt like that.  It is safe to say you're doing something wrong.
Come get me.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »
If you are doing them in a machine, turn around and face the machine instead of the standard way. I've stopped doing regular hacks because of the pain they cause my knees no matter what foot position I use.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
i have felt what u are talking about, but like suggested it was when my feet were to low on the platform.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
If you are doing them in a machine, turn around and face the machine instead of the standard way. I've stopped doing regular hacks because of the pain they cause my knees no matter what foot position I use.
x2

I used to do these with a FB coach, awesome movement for power.
Squishy face retard

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »
If they hurt your knees, try smith machine squats with feet forward, and all the way down!

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:48:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah it was on a machine, and it did hurt abit less with my feet further up the platform.

Thanks for the idea chaos, I'll give it a shot next leg day.

If it still hurts, there's plenty of other leg exercises anyways.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:21:20 AM »
A few things I'd like to throw on the table for you here.

1 -  Are you taking an EFA supplement?  If the answer is no than start taking one,  it will help with these types of aches.

2 -  Are you locking out at the top of the movement?  If you are stop,  try to hold the weight at the top of the movement but don't lock your knees,  keep constant tension on your thighs.

3 - Are you going low enough?  The lower you go the easier it is on your joints believe it or not. 

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:25:38 AM »
A few things I'd like to throw on the table for you here.

1 -  Are you taking an EFA supplement?  If the answer is no than start taking one,  it will help with these types of aches.

2 -  Are you locking out at the top of the movement?  If you are stop,  try to hold the weight at the top of the movement but don't lock your knees,  keep constant tension on your thighs.

3 - Are you going low enough?  The lower you go the easier it is on your joints believe it or not. 

I take 4-5 fish oil capsules/day with meals, but thats about it.

I honestly don't think I gave this exercise enough of a chance, just a few sets that didn't feel right/bad on knees.  Next time I'll take everyone's tips into account and see if it helps.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
If they hurt your knees, try smith machine squats with feet forward, and all the way down!

no dont do that.

as for hack squats..if they hurt your knees and you dont like them, do something else.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
You can also place a pad under your lower back (on the machine) which will not only help keep the pressure off the lower back but also keep from killing your knees.  Puts your body in better alignment.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »
no dont do that.

as for hack squats..if they hurt your knees and you dont like them, do something else.
   Why not?  For many of us tall guys (6+), its the only way we can go atg (even with just the bar). Im not saying waaay in front, but enough to get a full ROM. This is my best quad emphasis exercise.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »
Also investing in some good squat shoes will help, ones with a raised heal and flat soul.  I have some Do Win Rogues that really helped my knees while squatting deep.  I have arthritis in both of my knees from breaking them several times so any little bit can help.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »
i train quads in my iversons that ive worn every workout for a few years.. probably time to get some decent shoes for leg training..    id buy the otomix if they werent so damn expensive.. the ones lee priest likes to wear are badass looking..

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
   Why not?  For many of us tall guys (6+), its the only way we can go atg (even with just the bar). Im not saying waaay in front, but enough to get a full ROM. This is my best quad emphasis exercise.
Not true at all. I'm 6'2" and I can go ATG on squats just fine, the problems with doing them in the smith machine, in my experience, is pushing your ass back and turning the squat into a goodmorning.

Keep practicing your squats, it can be done.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:43 AM »

putting your feet forward will just increase the risk for knee problems...and the TS was worried about his KNEES (when doing hacksquats)...and then you recommend doing smith machine squats with feet infront of the bar? come on...

if your gonna do smith machine squats...put the feet UNDER the bar...not infront.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »
It varies. Putting my feet in front turns it into a pure quad movement- on the smith machine in my gym. Different people have different bone lengths and leverages. if you can isolate quads on regular squats and go atg -great! Some people can't, and need alternatives- ask that Dorian guy or Chris Cormier...