Author Topic: im sick of protein powder and their sweetners costs and crap-all whole food...  (Read 10808 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
im gonna start eating more whole food meals...im sick and tired of powders!!! all i want is to drink a shake post workout and thats it! im sick of spending too much money on powders!
what kind of diff will i notice from having 3 shakes and 3 meals to 5 meals and 1 shake?
w

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
yes people are making lots of money out of that crap so the illusion of monster dosages of protein should remain.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
You will get better gains anyway........  Welcome to reality! 

First Blood

• Getbig III
yes people are making lots of money out of that crap so the illusion of monster dosages of protein should remain.

hey man how do you train? what kind of split do you use?

i only drink protein powder after i workout...i like normal food better.

Boost

• Getbig V
I have not had a protein shake in over a year.........and have not got any smaller....

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
im gonna start eating more whole food meals...im sick and tired of powders!!! all i want is to drink a shake post workout and thats it! im sick of spending too much money on powders!
what kind of diff will i notice from having 3 shakes and 3 meals to 5 meals and 1 shake?

Since I've given up protein powder and just used whole food, my gains have gone through the roof.  I'm harder and have better energy than I ever did while taking 3 scoops of protein a day. 

Kevin and Shawn didn't use protein powder before a contest.  Kevin just ate 6 meals of flounder, chicken or lean beef for his protein. 

Relentless

• Getbig IV

Didn't you love "Bigger, Faster, Stronger?"  That movie debunked a lot of the old myths.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
You have confused me?

Nutshell version:

Increased protein intake is a good idea relative to the "normal" diet most untrained individuals follow.  How much protein is needed?  There are too many variables to answer that question accurately.  I recommend 1-2g total protein intake (from foods, fluids, and supplements).  

Think of it this way, the biggest and strongest men and women in the world almost invariably supplement with protein and feel it aids their training results.  

The decision is yours.  Drinking shakes in lieu of foods is fine so long as you still consume at least a few meals per day.
w

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
You have confused me?

Nutshell version:

Increased protein intake is a good idea relative to the "normal" diet most untrained individuals follow.  How much protein is needed?  There are too many variables to answer that question accurately.  I recommend 1-2g total protein intake (from foods, fluids, and supplements).  

Think of it this way, the biggest and strongest men and women in the world almost invariably supplement with protein and feel it aids their training results.  

The decision is yours.  Drinking shakes in lieu of foods is fine so long as you still consume at least a few meals per day.
GOOD ANSWER...

Relentless

• Getbig IV
You have confused me?

Nutshell version:

I agree.  If you think you need it,  you need it.  If you don't think you need it, don't take it.  Very simple.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
protein powders are just a form of fast food.  the only reason to take them is convenience.   regarding the sickly sweetness and fillers in most products, you can buy just plain bulk powder:  http://trueprotein.com
they have some predefined mixtures, or you can come up with your own.  I like Team Skip, chocolate, no sweetener.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
protein powders are just a form of fast food.  the only reason to take them is convenience. 
wrong.  dont be an idiot. look up the terms 'digestion rate' and 'amino acid profile'.

Since I've given up protein powder and just used whole food, my gains have gone through the roof.  I'm harder and have better energy than I ever did while taking 3 scoops of protein a day. 

Kevin and Shawn didn't use protein powder before a contest.  Kevin just ate 6 meals of flounder, chicken or lean beef for his protein. 
of course they have, al you were getting was 3 scoops of rptoein powder. whats that, 60 grams of protein? now that your eating like a person who ISNT A DUMBASS, re incorporate those scoops of whey around your workout.

I have not had a protein shake in over a year.........and have not got any smaller....
and your not growing as fast as you could be either.

First Blood

• Getbig III
protein powders are just a form of fast food.  the only reason to take them is convenience.   regarding the sickly sweetness and fillers in most products, you can buy just plain bulk powder:  http://trueprotein.com
they have some predefined mixtures, or you can come up with your own.  I like Team Skip, chocolate, no sweetener.

i agree with this...i just read (15min ago) an article by lyle mcdonald where he also basically says protein powder is just for convenience...and i have heard is one of the biggest experts in the world on nutrition.

Griffith

• Getbig V
I stopped using whey a few months back.
It was making me feel bloated, reducing my appetite for normal foods and probably contributed to some acne too.

I've added steak to my diet recently and am noticing a big difference.
I usually have 100 grams about 4 or 5 times a week coupled with a nice portion of broccoli, celery and some carrots for supper.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
wrong.  dont be an idiot. look up the terms 'digestion rate' and 'amino acid profile'.

of course they have, al you were getting was 3 scoops of rptoein powder. whats that, 60 grams of protein? now that your eating like a person who ISNT A DUMBASS, re incorporate those scoops of whey around your workout.
 and your not growing as fast as you could be either.

Who are you again?

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
i agree with this...i just read (15min ago) an article by lyle mcdonald where he also basically says protein powder is just for convenience...and i have heard is one of the biggest experts in the world on nutrition.

Lyle's opinions on matters often leave a lot to be desired...

Actually, in this case I somewhat agree.  A shake which is only protien does have its advantages in that it is a very low calorie source of protein and it is in liquid form which means it should be more quickly absorbed. 

Now, some protein products such as my MAXIMUS also have ergogens mixed in with the protein, carbs, and or fats, so they become more than just a "convenience" supplement. 
w

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
I stopped using whey a few months back.
It was making me feel bloated, reducing my appetite for normal foods and probably contributed to some acne too.

I've added steak to my diet recently and am noticing a big difference.
I usually have 100 grams about 4 or 5 times a week coupled with a nice portion of broccoli, celery and some carrots for supper.

you eat steak 4 or 5 times a week?

are you people retarded?

jesus christ, 2 grams per pound of body weight. protein. do it EVERYDAY.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
you eat steak 4 or 5 times a week?

are you people retarded?

jesus christ, 2 grams per pound of body weight. protein. do it EVERYDAY.

why aren't you 250 pounds at minimal bodyfat if you do that?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
why aren't you 250 pounds at minimal bodyfat if you do that?
  what does body fat have to do with protien intake? is eating more protein going to make someone lean? is eating more protein the equivelant of years and years of steroids abuse?

dont be a fucking jackass

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Lyle's opinions on matters often leave a lot to be desired...

Actually, in this case I somewhat agree.  A shake which is only protien does have its advantages in that it is a very low calorie source of protein and it is in liquid form which means it should be more quickly absorbed. 

Now, some protein products such as my MAXIMUS also have ergogens mixed in with the protein, carbs, and or fats, so they become more than just a "convenience" supplement. 
hahahhaa, i love how you clowns say "my such and such" supplement as if you invented the ingredients. ::)

chris_mason

• Getbig IV

The only possible reason for the results you have seen as you describe them is that you were not consuming sufficient calories in the first place.  The protein shakes could in no way have hindered your results.
w

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
  what does body fat have to do with protien intake? is eating more protein going to make someone lean? is eating more protein the equivelant of years and years of steroids abuse?

dont be a fucking jackass

don't get all angry dude, just asking why you haven't achieved better results with all the lengths you go to to build muscle.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
The only possible reason for the results you have seen as you describe them is that you were not consuming sufficient calories in the first place.  The protein shakes could in no way have hindered your results.

You're right about that; I wasn't taking in enough carbs and my energy levels weren't where they needed to be. 

Like many, I was relying too much on the protein shakes and not enough on whole food.  The protein shakes should have been used as a supplement, not a meal replacement.  I don't have any plans on competing or bulking, so I am not going to add the protein shakes now. 

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
Guys, seriously

IGNORE THE TROLLS.  THIS IS A GREAT THREAD WITH INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION.  THIS IS WHAT GETBIG SHOULD BE ABOUT.  THE TROLLS WILL TRY REALLY HARD TO RUIN IT.  JUST IGNORE THEM.
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
You're right about that; I wasn't taking in enough carbs and my energy levels weren't where they needed to be. 

Like many, I was relying too much on the protein shakes and not enough on whole food.  The protein shakes should have been used as a supplement, not a meal replacement.  I don't have any plans on competing or bulking, so I am not going to add the protein shakes now. 

I pretty much agree.  I think someone like you should only consider a protein supplement that contains ergogens.
w