Author Topic: the denial phenomenon  (Read 4908 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: the denial phenomenon
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008, 12:49:59 AM »
BOOM!  :D

The Late Dr. W. Edwards Deming - American Genius that America ignored

Introductory video for the late Dr. William Edwards Deming whose quality control management systems helped to transform Japan Inc. to what it is today.

mental_masturbator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »
BOOM!  :D

Spot on!

Thanks for the vids, i will watch them later on!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2008, 01:29:26 AM »
That is a great story 240, but would you say they were in denial?  Many people in housing markets across the country foolishly believed housing values would continue to rise.  Your prescience shows you were playing closer attention to the facts than your classmates, but would you say they were in denial, simply defending their position, or stupid?

Have you been in touch with any of your former classmates?  I’d love to hear what they have to say now.

Any more denial stories out there?

Years ago, I said George Bush was an idiot, he'd be the worst president ever, would run the country into the ground, ...and no foreign head of state would have any respect for him....

Then after 911, I told people the biggest attack on American freedoms would come from her own government...

Then I told people there were no WMDs in Iraq, that it was simply a pack of lies and an excuse for war...

Then I told people that the Republican party had been hijacked by an evil cabal of madmen...

No one believed me... some on this very board (who shall remain nameless) called me "Anti-American" for even daring to so much as whisper the truth.

{sigh} What a difference 8 yrs of hell makes huh?  Finally... Vindication!  Only 5 more days to go. 
w

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »

Years ago, I said George Bush was an idiot, he'd be the worst president ever, would run the country into the ground, ...and no foreign head of state would have any respect for him....

Then after 911, I told people the biggest attack on American freedoms would come from her own government...

Then I told people there were no WMDs in Iraq, that it was simply a pack of lies and an excuse for war...

Then I told people that the Republican party had been hijacked by an evil cabal of madmen...

No one believed me... some on this very board (who shall remain nameless) called me "Anti-American" for even daring to so much as whisper the truth.

{sigh} What a difference 8 yrs of hell makes huh?  Finally... Vindication!  Only 5 more days to go. 

Fail.

We are talking cars here.

You could have asked ANY european and he would have told you George W is an idiot.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:45 AM »
I talk to one pretty regularly, he has a beautiful 4 BR home that's sat empty for 2 years now.  He had to move to TENN to get work.  Database programmer with an MBA (he was way smarter than me) and he ended up running a cleaning business, then losing that to a lower bidder employing illegals.  he emails me once a week asking if i'm ready to buy the place lol...

What's a "database programmer"? Someone who actually architects DBMS from the ground up, or do you mean DB admin? What's his full credentials, if he's capable to architecture his own DBMS then I'm sure the company I work for would be happy to entertain an interview with him.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »
In 2003, my entire graduate class (I think it was accounting 4) and the professor all had a laugh at me, as I tried to explain my belief that there wasn't enough demand for these new homes that everyone was putting their retirement $ into.

i tried to explain that the adjustable rate would be too high - they said the dollar is just getting stronger thanks to 9/11, and that paying higher mortgages wouldn't hurt people.

I tried to explain the population here was flat, and if a recession did hit, as does following wars, then our services/tourism/construciton industries would go belly-up, and they'd move - we'd have thousands of houses sitting empty.

Most everyone in the class owned a home, many were mortgaging it to pay for a 2nd or 3rd.

Today, many of them are in some serious shit.

What's funny is that I had many arguments with the illegal alien apologists who kept telling me we needed all these people here to "do the jobs that Americans wont do".  My argument was that once the demand stopped, what would all these illegals be doing? and that the taxpayer would get stuck with the tab.  I also argued that they would not go home and most likely resort to low level crime to survive.

I have three scenarios I will buy a home or property. 

SOMEONE MUST BE EITHER:

DIVORCING
DYING
DESPERATE

I refused to pay market value for those houses because the prices were just insane and not related to reality.  I'm glad I did not get suckered.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
While I agree that foreign Cars are better in most cases, I dont think that is the reason American Companies are getting crushed.

What is the biggest difference between GM, dodge, Ford, and Crystler vs Honda of American, and Toyota of America??

UNIONS!!!!  Honda and Toyota kept the unions out by incentivizing (sp) their workers though pay for performance and stock. These foreign companies in America have been making a killing here ever since.

The Auto Unions have become fat a bloated and have run the American Auto industry to the ground. These companies spend more on Healthcare than Steel. Its hard to invest in R&D and turn a profit when your human capital is dragging your bottom line into the gutter.

Qouted for sense and truth....

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »

Yet another example of how you are unable to talk about anything other than another countries leader. This thread is about CARS, not politics.

Serious question... Do you really ever think about anything else that GWB? He obviously prevades your every concious moment.

CARS!!!  We are talking about CARS here!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ::)

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »
Qouted for sense and truth....

Yes, the unions are dead! I here story after story about workers clocking in and then leaving only to return at the end of the day and clock out. I had a patient whose wife, had not worked a day in 2yrs, but was collecting disability and health insurance, she was not noticeably disabled, no lost limb, no walker or cane, not even a limp, there was a certain sense of entitlement as well, no company can last very long paying people not to work and their health insurance.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
But we can't let the American auto industry (read: unions) fail!!!

Disability in this country is a joke these days. You can file for disability because you got too fat to function properly.

All you need is a doc to sign off that you are 'disabled'.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »
...you just regurgitate whatever FOX News tells you, BuffGeek. Your every post is an insult to thinking people everywhere.

Unions are killing the American car industry? WTF? Japanese workers are treated better than any American factory worker could ever dream of being treated.

American cars are just twenty years behind European and American engineering standards... simple as that:
-leaf spring suspension (Jesus, I have that on my classic 70's sports car and I'm going to replace it)
-inefficient engines (the 1,800 cc [1.8 litre] Lotus Exige would blitz that Corvette around Nurberg)
-poor fuel efficiency (the French won't touch a car that gets less than 50 mpg)
-poor power outputs: Americans measure brake horsepower at the crank, Europeans measure it on a dynonometer. The American answer is always to simply add heavy gauge steel to the frame and a huge V8 under the hood... they never even consider engineering more power from a smaller engine.

This technology lag is due to American car manufacturers having a captive market/populace for so long... that and the classic American "not-knowing-shit" attitude.

I used the Lotus Exige as an example here because for $70k you can get an 850 kg (1,900 lb) dinky European sports car that not only handles and corners better than ANY American production sports car (in ANY price range), but it does 0-60 mph in less than four seconds... and all of that from a 1.8 litre engine... what's that Viper? Six litres?

ND listed several foreign manufacturers whose cars couldn't possibly beat the big Dodge Viper pictured.

How ignorant is that considering each and every one of those manufacturers produce a model that could smoke that Viper around the Nurberg ring:
-Porsche   ...the GT3 version of the 911 turbo
-Ferrari   ...the F430 (you wouldn't even need a competent driver with the advanced drivers aid software)
-Pagani   ...the Zonda
-Maserati   ...the Quattraporte
-McLaren   ...the McLaren F1 (fastest production car in the world when new)
-Koeningsegg   ...the new top of the line TG model has nearly 700 horsepower
-Lamborghini   ...just the basic (relatively) cheap Gallardo would beat the Viper due to it's FWD
-Bugatti   ...don't they make the 1,000 horsepower Veyron believed to be the best car in the world?

...perhaps Americans aren't really in denial. Perhaps they're just plain stoooopid.

The Luke

First off I rarely even watch TV. Second why dont you come up with a different response for when someone has a dissenting opinion, the whole Fox news thing is getting booring.

The Honda and Toyota auto workers I am talking about are right here in America. They said FU to the Unions because they knew they could get a better deal working with their respective companies and those plants have flourished.

I could go on about the rest of your American hate filled rant, but I dont think it deserves a response. Very few people can even afford those cars you are talking about so I really think its irrelevant to this discussion.

I will have to hand it to your country however... Our bussiness may be moving your way if Obama is elected. You guys have realized that lower bussines taxes will allow bussiness to flourish and prosper.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
What's a "database programmer"? Someone who actually architects DBMS from the ground up, or do you mean DB admin? What's his full credentials, if he's capable to architecture his own DBMS then I'm sure the company I work for would be happy to entertain an interview with him.

I think he means database developer.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »
Donkeykong & Hereford,

As you can see the thread is entitled 'the denial phenomenon', and my comment was in response to Reply #4.
At that point, the thread was too general in nature to be only about cars, ...and considering it's on political...

If you want a comment about cars... North American cars SUCK! I prefer German cars. happy now?  :-\
w

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
Actually, we agree.  :)

I drive German cars as well.

*thumbs up*

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:56 AM »
German cars suck as well. They are all overpriced. A shitty VW Golf costs more in its basic version than a comparable Honda with full equipment. AND its not 1980 when VW was much better than Japanese cars. Mercedes had lots of quality problems, mostly electronics. The only really good german cars are Audi and Porsche, the others suck. All are overpriced nevertheless.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
German cars suck as well. They are all overpriced. A shitty VW Golf costs more in its basic version than a comparable Honda with full equipment. AND its not 1980 when VW was much better than Japanese cars. Mercedes had lots of quality problems, mostly electronics. The only really good german cars are Audi and Porsche, the others suck. All are overpriced nevertheless.

I would take an old Benz any day. I've always driven German. Not a fan of VWAG.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Old Benz are better. They have had serious problems in the last three or four years.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »

I've never had a problem with the Volkswagen vehicles I've owned.

I bought a Prius for fuel reasons but would have no problems buying another when they become more fuel efficient.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »

Blasphemy.

Real men drive BMW.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2008, 05:45:43 AM »
Turkish young men drive BMW.