Author Topic: russian squat program  (Read 1203 times)

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
russian squat program
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
has anybody done it and if so was it worth it ???

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: russian squat program
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »
Can also call that the Bulgarian or Romanian squat program. Can also throw in the Hungarian squat program while you are at it. Slightly different version of each, though the name may change throughout the years. Birth in the Eastern Olympic lifting block if I remember right. It's popularity is fairly standard but may come and go from time to time, like everything else in lifting. Meant to be used with Olympic back squats, ass to the grass.

It is a power builder, not meant to add muscle mass to anyone. Most Olympic lifters (and PL'ers) want to get stronger but still stay in their weight class, so lower reps and sets are used (which may prove the point that when using heavier weights muscle size does not always follow). Unless your in the superheavy class and a lot of extra bodyfat is not the worry.

Give it a try and let us know your results. This can also work with DL's, benches or whatever. Though remember not for muscle mass but power increases. Might go to the PL'ers board and ask there.  Good Luck.
F

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »
How much of an effect would increasing 1RM have on 8 rep sets and muscle growth? Changing workouts for 6 weeks might be worth it in the long run depending upon how much the strength gains could be translated into muscle.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
thanks jpm, i am a beginner olympic lifter so i am not worried about mass but i do need to gain more strength.  i will be starting the russian squat program in a week or two, fully rested, and will report back what, if any, gains i make.