Author Topic: Which supplements do you keep on buying year after year?  (Read 4345 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Which supplements do you keep on buying year after year?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
  Vitamin C and E. The are the only supplements that a real scientist, Linus Pauling, Nobelist in chemistry, demonstrated to have long-term health benefits. Everything else offers only some specific benefits with potential side effects. Avoid everything else unless strictly necessary.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

you are saying that the only supps worth taking are vit c and E? bit of a weird statement from a mod, i would of geussed you were pro supplementation.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
  Define "high" intake. 1,000 I.Us daily? Maybe. 400 I.Us daily? No, only benefits. Just the fact that vitamin E thins the blood is already a huge plus.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

NO, 400IUS is defined as high and actually increases risk of death like i said. Your statement is patently false.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press_releases/2004/11_10_04.html

"The study results showed that people taking vitamin E supplements of 400 IU or more per day had an increased risk of death."

"Our study results do not support the use of high-dose vitamin E supplements.  If people are taking a multivitamin, they should make sure it contains no more than a low dose of vitamin E," said study lead author and internist Edgar R. Miller III, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of medicine at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.  "A lot of people take vitamins because they believe it will benefit their health in the long term and prolong life.  But our study shows that use of high-dose vitamin E supplements certainly did not prolong life, but was associated with a higher risk of death."

"In the current study, the Johns Hopkins team re-analyzed raw data from 19 major clinical trials, sorting information by whether high- or low-dose levels of vitamin E were taken.  Nine of these studies tested vitamin E alone; 10 tested its use in combination with other vitamins.
The 19 studies took place between 1993 and 2004 and involved more than 136,000 patients in North America, Europe and China. All of the studies involved use of a control group taking a dummy pill, or placebo.  Risk of death was estimated by comparing the death rates in both groups.  Follow-up periods ranged from 1.4 years to 8.2 years.When the data for these trials was re-evaluated, through a process called a meta-analysis, nine of 11 trials involving high-dose vitamin E (400 IU per day, or more) showed an increased risk of death.  The other eight trials involved low-dose vitamin E users"

when you say vitamin e what exactly are you referring to also? alpha tocopherol, gamma tocopherol perhaps a tocotrienol? they all have different effects to a large degree, and supplementing with one usually decreases plasma levels of the others.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »
  So going by your logic, the word of "gurus" with very sophomoric knowledge of physiology and biochemistry, who are on the payroll of supplement companies, is worth more than that of a Nobelist with an IQ of 170 who had no interest in selling people anything? Nice.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I've got an open mind. I don't limit myself to only believe in a dead guy that won the Noble Prize 50-60 years ago. You do.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »
  You mean for me to post studies that, unlike yours, were not payed for private parties with financial interests at stack?

Post any study you want.
I haven't so far seen a single study where the conclusion is that the cons far outweight the pros when it comes to fish oil. You make it sounds like there's numerous such studies, well let's have it! Back up your claims!

What diffeence does this make?

You sure it interfers with other minerals?

Actually, 50 miligrams is the maximum physiologically tolerable levle of Zinc you can take.

You claimed over 15grams starts to interfere with the absorption of other minerals. Not true.

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 10:06:41 AM »
you are saying that the only supps worth taking are vit c and E? bit of a weird statement from a mod, i would of geussed you were pro supplementation.

I think so too, I was expecting someone with an open mind.
Z

suckmymuscle

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »
NO, 400IUS is defined as high and actually increases risk of death like i said. Your statement is patently false.

I've been taking 400 I.U of vitamin E daily for the past 6 years and my blood work shows very low levels of LDL and high levels of HDL. So I don't care what these studies have to say since I've done a study on myself and I have empirical data supporting my postulate that 400 I.U is good for you.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
I've got an open mind. I don't limit myself to only believe in a dead guy that won the Noble Prize 50-60 years ago. You do.

No, what you're saying is that the opinions of guys with basic college degrees, who have a vested interest in selling supplements, carries more weight than the opinion of a genius with an IQ of 170, a doctoral degree in biochemistry, a Nobel Prize and no vested interests in manipulating the truth for his own gain. This is what you're saying, in a nutshell.
 :)
SUCKMYMUSCLE

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
  I've been taking 400 I.U of vitamin E daily for the past 6 years and my blood work shows very low levels of LDL and high levels of HDL. So I don't care what these studies have to say since I've done a study on myself and I have empirical data supporting my postulate that 400 I.U is good for you.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

to many extraneous variables, the link between cholesterol and disease is pretty weak also so i wouldnt use that marker for longevity.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
  No, what you're saying is that the opinions of guys with basic college degrees, who have a vested interest in selling supplements, carries more weight than the opinion of a genius with an IQ of 170, a doctoral degree in biochemistry, a Nobel Prize and no vested interests in manipulating the truth for his own gain. This is what you're saying, in a nutshell.
 :)
SUCKMYMUSCLE

No.

You're trusting the old dead guy. And nobody else. Period. That's not opened minded.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
LOL @ "studies on myself"
Z

suckmymuscle

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »
No.

You're trusting the old dead guy. And nobody else. Period. That's not opened minded.

I am open minded, but I believe that the opinion of a genius, who won the most respectable scientific prize in the World, and was not trying to sell us stuff is more important than the opinion of "gurus" with barely a college education who earn a living selling supplements. That's all.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »
LOL @ "studies on myself"

What is wrong with that statement? I am a Human, so the conclusions of experimentations done on myself can be extrapolated to some degree to my species as a whole.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »
I keep buying protein, creatine, multi-vitamins and sugar free rockstars. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 12:58:15 AM »
Whey protein,
Mutlivitamin,
Fish oil...

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Fish Oil
Creatine
Whey
Multi