Author Topic: Which supplements do you keep on buying year after year?  (Read 4351 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Which supplements do you keep on buying year after year?
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
 ???
Z

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Which supplements do you keep on buying year after year?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
Blutes,
You asking for types of supplements or names of brands?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
Blutes,
You asking for types of supplements or names of brands?

Types of supplements. People like to experiement with supplements and try a new product every now and then but I'm curious on which supplements they consider make enough difference to take them all the time!
Z

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »
Whey protein powder
BCAA powder
Starch based carb drink (during workouts)
Fish oil
Dessicated Liver tablets
Egg Beaters (I’m fussing a bit with this one, but because of        its processing, I consider it a “supp.”)
Multi-vitamins- including additional B12 & 6.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
protein powder
carbohydrate powder
fish oil
zinc
magnesium
melatonin
caffiene tabs

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Yeah.
I forgot caffeine.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »
what do you notice from the dessicated liver tabs ? how do you use them ?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:43 PM »
They’ve been a big thing on and off over the past few decades – dating back to Larry Scott’s peak years.
Supposedly, some guys would consume 100+ (and some well above that) per day.

I take 50/day divided over two doses – Vitamin Shoppe brand.
Good source of iron, folic acid and B vitamins 1&12 (12 helps metabolize food into energy).

I use them as two of my daily “meals” – part of them, anyway.

It’s beef liver, so I presume they carry benefits similar to beef as far as the protein/amino content, anti-catabolic effects, etc.
Liver is also considered an extremely nutrient-dense food, but I can’t hack the stuff no matter how it’s prepared – unless they’re defatted, dried out, and pressed into little pellets about the size of an aspirin.

When taking them at night, I also include a B6 tablet to aid my CNS.

Here are links to a few articles you may find interesting:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86412&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

http://www.ironguru.com/Home/tabid/637/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/81/NEW-DISCOVERIES-WITH-DESICCATED-LIVER.aspx

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
Fish Oil, Multi, & Protein Powder.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »
whey

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
I use them when dieting to help spare muscle tissue...but to answer your question...I don't know

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »

They are a good source of protein, natural iron, & b vitamins.

I forgot I also buy them too. I usually take about five of the Universal kind every night.

io856

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Its a secret.  ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
???

Vitamin C and E. The are the only supplements that a real scientist, Linus Pauling, Nobelist in chemistry, demonstrated to have long-term health benefits. Everything else offers only some specific benefits with potential side effects. Avoid everything else unless strictly necessary.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
  Vitamin C and E. The are the only supplements that a real scientist, Linus Pauling, Nobelist in chemistry, demonstrated to have long-term health benefits. Everything else offers only some specific benefits with potential side effects. Avoid everything else unless strictly necessary.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

hmmm that's not what the "experts" and "gurus" say though

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »

like the studies that showed those with the highest intake of vitamin E supplementation had a higher mortality rate then the general population.

GTE is something that has tons of research behind it
fish oil is another huge general health supplement
magnesium has shown some real nice beenies in studies
zinc has immune enhancing effects.

i could go on but some shit if take

whey
fish oil
cal,mag,d supp
forskolin for cAMP elevation (i need it)
Vit e(mixed tocopherols,tocotrienols, with gamma toc being higher dosed which fits with research)
tumeric (this probably has more health benefits then all other supps combined, the research for health and health conditions is impressive)
some creatine supp
i also take some niacinamide for anti aging, stress and mast cell stabilization. The research also shows it to be a potent neuroprotective
caffeine.

I take some more shit for other specific reasons, but i would consider the above stuff i take all the time. Forskolin in cycles, mainly for my asthma, which it works quite well for.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »

The "experts" and "gurus" have won no Nobel Prize. Until they do, I don't care what they hacve to say.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
like the studies that showed those with the highest intake of vitamin E supplementation had a higher mortality rate then the general population.

Define "high" intake. 1,000 I.Us daily? Maybe. 400 I.Us daily? No, only benefits. Just the fact that vitamin E thins the blood is already a huge plus.

fish oil is another huge general health supplement

Lots of these "studies" were payed for by the fishing industry. Fish oil actually increases oxidative stress and decreases the level of several DNA-repairing enzymes.

magnesium has shown some real nice beenies in studies

You only need 400 miligrams a day. More than that and you start interfering with the absorption of other minerals.

zinc has immune enhancing effects.

You only need 15 miligrams a day. More than that and you start to interfere with the absorption of other minerals.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »
  The "experts" and "gurus" have won no Nobel Prize. Until they do, I don't care what they hacve to say.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

So with your logic, anything that you post that isn't the thoughts of Linus Pauling (who died 14 years ago and who won the Nobel Prize 54 years ago ) nobody should care about.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 02:23:43 AM »
  Define "high" intake. 1,000 I.Us daily? Maybe. 400 I.Us daily? No, only benefits. Just the fact that vitamin E thins the blood is already a huge plus.

I know something else that thins the blood... fish oil!

Lots of these "studies" were payed for by the fishing industry. Fish oil actually increases oxidative stress and decreases the level of several DNA-repairing enzymes.

I challenged you to post numerous studies with the conclusion that the cons far outweight the pros when it comes to fish oil - 5 days ago! So far no answer?

You only need 400 miligrams a day. More than that and you start interfering with the absorption of other minerals.

Which other minerals?

You only need 15 miligrams a day. More than that and you start to interfere with the absorption of other minerals.

Actually the quantaties would have to be 50, not 15 miligrams a day for that to happen. And with "other" minerals, I assume you mean copper?

Z

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 02:47:25 AM »
SUCKMYMUSCLE

;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 04:13:39 AM »
So with your logic, anything that you post that isn't the thoughts of Linus Pauling (who died 14 years ago and who won the Nobel Prize 54 years ago ) nobody should care about.

So going by your logic, the word of "gurus" with very sophomoric knowledge of physiology and biochemistry, who are on the payroll of supplement companies, is worth more than that of a Nobelist with an IQ of 170 who had no interest in selling people anything? Nice.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 04:24:11 AM »
I know something else that thins the blood... fish oil!

And I know soemthing that thins the blood without the negatives of fish oil: vitamin E.

I challenged you to post numerous studies with the conclusion that the cons far outweight the pros when it comes to fish oil - 5 days ago! So far no answer?

You mean for me to post studies that, unlike yours, were not payed for private parties with financial interests at stack?

Which other minerals?

What diffeence does this make? Interfering with the absorption of any mineral is bad for you, so the specific mineral that is less absorbed when you mega dose a certain mineral is not relevant as the end result is the same: your health is impaired.

Actually the quantaties would have to be 50, not 15 miligrams a day for that to happen. And with "other" minerals, I assume you mean copper?

Actually, 50 miligrams is the maximum physiologically tolerable levle of Zinc you can take. More than that and Zinc becomes a poison, and starts to affect your health negatively in far more ways than simply inhibiting the absorption of other minerals. Anything above 15 miligrams is not used by the body and represents a burden that must be dealt with by the whole system. Even Victor Conte stated - don't ask me to post the quote or a link because I read this interview with him in the M&F many years ago - that he might have been wrong and that the dose of 30 miligrams of Zinc in ZMA might be excessive.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 04:28:07 AM »
bronkaid

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »
  And I know soemthing that thins the blood without the negatives of fish oil: vitamin E.

You mean for me to post studies that, unlike yours, were not payed for private parties with financial interests at stack?

What diffeence does this make? Interfering with the absorption of any mineral is bad for you, so the specific mineral that is less absorbed when you mega dose a certain mineral is not relevant as the end result is the same: your health is impaired.

Actually, 50 miligrams is the maximum physiologically tolerable levle of Zinc you can take. More than that and Zinc becomes a poison, and starts to affect your health negatively in far more ways than simply inhibiting the absorption of other minerals. Anything above 15 miligrams is not used by the body and represents a burden that must be dealt with by the whole system. Even Victor Conte stated - don't ask me to post the quote or a link because I read this interview with him in the M&F many years ago - that he might have been wrong and that the dose of 30 miligrams of Zinc in ZMA might be excessive.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

there is no way to measure at which point anti oxidants become pro oxidants. Oxidation is not a very good argument against fish oil, as i outlined that exercise induces far more oxidation then fish oil. Post some relevant research and i will do the same until then your argument is pretty moot.

"Actually, 50 miligrams is the maximum physiologically tolerable levle of Zinc you can take. More than that and Zinc becomes a poison, and starts to affect your health negatively in far more ways than simply inhibiting the absorption of other minerals. Anything above 15 miligrams is not used by the body and represents a burden that must be dealt with by the whole system. Even Victor Conte stated - don't ask me to post the quote or a link because I read this interview with him in the M&F many years ago - that he might have been wrong and that the dose of 30 miligrams of Zinc in ZMA might be excessive."

references? it depends on the individual, many people are deficient in zinc, people like polquin have his athletes take up to 100 mgs a day with nothing but positives reported. Again, you cant make such broad generalizations to the general population as mineral and vitamin status changes according to activity,age,diet,health..

"You mean for me to post studies that, unlike yours, were not payed for private parties with financial interests at stack?"

where are you getting this from, you know that the peer reviewed process does not operate with doctored studies, and companies are obligated to release studies regardless of conclusion.

"What diffeence does this make? Interfering with the absorption of any mineral is bad for you, so the specific mineral that is less absorbed when you mega dose a certain mineral is not relevant as the end result is the same: your health is impaired."

no. In orthomolecular medicine many times nutrient levels are out of wack, some need to come down, like copper for instance, and some need to come up. For example reducing iron in a hepatitis patient or someone with cirohsis of the liver is beneficial. Likewise taking vitamin c in this case in high doses is negative and harmful to the individual.