Author Topic: Training split - opinions?  (Read 1047 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Training split - opinions?
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »
Just am looking for suggestions/comments on structuring a part of my split. I have been a big fan of antaganostic modified supersets the last few years. I generally train chest and back on one day, legs on another and arms on another. I know chest and back seem like a lot for one day, but I do one set for chest, rest a bit, do a set for back, rest a bit and so forth. I have also never been a big fan of training bis and tris seperately, I like the full feeling I get from training arms completely in one day.

My indecisiveness has always come from scheduling shoulders. I know they can't go too soon after chest because they are still sore. I'm thinking something like Chest/Back day 1, Thighs day 2, rest, Shoulders/Traps/Calves day 3 and Arms day 4. I generally like to leave a day betwen weight traing if possible, but guess it is not that easy with shoulders and training each bodypart at least once a week.

The only thing with shoulders a day before arms is I'm not sure if any pressing on delt day would affect tri work the next day, I generally like to do dips as one of my tri movements. Yes, I am a bit over-analytical, but that recovery period slows down as we age! Any thoughts on the split I mentioned and/or scheduling shoulders?

Thanks

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: Training split - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:16:02 AM »
Day 1: Chest, Biceps and Abs
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Shoulders + Triceps
Day 4: Back + Rear Delts

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
I think your over thinking it a bit. The split you listed in the second paragraph looks good or you could combine delts and arms.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
Day 1- Chest, Front/side delts, Calves

Day 2- Back, Rear delts, Traps, Abs

Day 3- Bicep, Triceps, Hamstrings, low back, Calves

Day 4 - Quads, Abs

Day 5 - Rest

Day 6 - Repeat

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »
My indecisiveness has always come from scheduling shoulders. I know they can't go too soon after chest because they are still sore. I'm thinking something like Chest/Back day 1, Thighs day 2, rest, Shoulders/Traps/Calves day 3 and Arms day 4. I generally like to leave a day betwen weight traing if possible, but guess it is not that easy with shoulders and training each bodypart at least once a week.

That looks fine, if you're worried about your shoulder day affecting your arm day, then just leave a day in between them, so you've got:

Day 1  Ch/Ba
Day 2  Thighs
Day 3  Rest
Day 4  Sh/Traps/Calves
Day 5  Rest
Day 6  Arms
Day 7  Rest

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:31 AM »
Mon-> Chest

Tue-> Back-forearms (if you want to train them)

Wed-> REST

Thi-> Shoulders-Traps

Fri-> Arms (bis & tris)

Sat-> Legs.

Sun-> REST

Then throw calves and abs into these days splited in days you prefer and youre all set.

Thats my routine.

gymrat26

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
I am new to the forum and been lifting for sometime now almost 3 years I went from 160 to 210 as of right now. I feel like im starting to hit some kind of plateau a little bit so I just started to do an all body workout on mon wed and friday with cardio like four days a week. I am hoping to hit something with this looking for some opinions on anybody who is doing all body routine already.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »
I am new to the forum and been lifting for sometime now almost 3 years I went from 160 to 210 as of right now. I feel like im starting to hit some kind of plateau a little bit so I just started to do an all body workout on mon wed and friday with cardio like four days a week. I am hoping to hit something with this looking for some opinions on anybody who is doing all body routine already.

I tried an all body routine, twice a week for about 3-4 months at the beginning of the year.  I saw a slight increase in strength, not much in size.  After doing it, I think that for me that type of routine is better as a kind of maintenance thing, like when I can't get to the gym 3 or 4 days a week, I'll use full-body workouts instead.