Author Topic: I hurt my shoulder and have no idea how  (Read 9082 times)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
I hurt my shoulder and have no idea how
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »
Yesterday I trained shoulders and didn't go particularly heavy, yet last night my should from the right side of my neck down to my should blade are in fkn agony. I couldn't sleep at all last night and it seems to be getting worse. I can go to the doctors on Tuesday, but anyone got any ideas to make it feel better in the meantime, other than opiates? The pain is pretty bad.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
Re: I hurt my shoulder and have no idea how
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »
 I literally can not get out of my chair right now. I may have to call an ambulance and I don't even know how I did it!
E

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-checker/DS00671

danielson, how are you feeling today?

You may want to use the symptom checker above.  Sometimes you get an error, but eventually it should work.

I put in some of your symptoms you mentioned but you are the best person to do so.    Hopefully it's nothing serious and will remedy itself soon!
R

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-checker/DS00671

danielson, how are you feeling today?

You may want to use the symptom checker above.  Sometimes you get an error, but eventually it should work.

I put in some of your symptoms you mentioned but you are the best person to do so.    Hopefully it's nothing serious and will remedy itself soon!

Thanks Stella, I will try it in a few. It still hurts. I will go to the Doc tomorrow and see what is wrong with it. :)
E

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
Yesterday I trained shoulders and didn't go particularly heavy, yet last night my should from the right side of my neck down to my should blade are in fkn agony. I couldn't sleep at all last night and it seems to be getting worse. I can go to the doctors on Tuesday, but anyone got any ideas to make it feel better in the meantime, other than opiates? The pain is pretty bad.

What exercises were you doing? If you did anykind of behide the neck presses or pull downs I'm going to slap you.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
What exercises were you doing?

I did 9 sets of seated behind the neck presses on the Smith, then 4 sets of lateral DB raises.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »
Why can't I do behind the neck presses Coach? It's hard to use DB's at my gym cuz I slam them on the floor a little, then someone always comes up to me telling me I am not supposed to do that and then I laugh at them, then the manager comes up to me and I laugh at him and it's just a big mess.
E

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
I did 9 sets of seated behind the neck presses on the Smith, then 4 sets of lateral DB raises.

How much weight were you using? & how "low" were you going?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
What exercises were you doing? If you did anykind of behide the neck presses or pull downs I'm going to slap you.

I personally think that behind the neck pressing has got a bad reputation lately. I think the real problem is most people go way too low at the bottom & use too much weight.

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
Why can't I do behind the neck presses Coach? It's hard to use DB's at my gym cuz I slam them on the floor a little, then someone always comes up to me telling me I am not supposed to do that and then I laugh at them, then the manager comes up to me and I laugh at him and it's just a big mess.

1. Don't slam the DB's. Not being a dick BUT..............if you have to slam or even drop the weights they are too heavy to begin with.

2. Some people believe there is nothing wrong with behind the presses or behind the pulldowns until I point out what the possibilities of injury are. The problem is (and this is primarly my research with the assistance of Mike Boyle) shoulder impingment syndrom can happen, that is basically when the bones in the upper arm or shoulder are not aligned correctly and narrows the space around where the muscles of your shoulders, subscapular and traps move. When you have the bar above your head it's usually the correct mechanics, but as you lower the bar you have to move your head slightly forward and externally rotating the shoulder and girdle. As you lower the load more it causes the misalignment causing the space to get smaller and eventually pinching that nerve. And yes, Rimbaud is also correct if you went down too far.

I've said time and time again.........stay off of the machines ESPECIALLY when it comes down to overhead pressing. There is little if any function. I can't remember the last time I used a smith machine for any type of press.

1. Ice it for 20 min

2. 800mg ibuprofin

3. Go to the doc asap. If it is impingment syndrom get treated right away.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
1. Don't slam the DB's. Not being a dick BUT..............if you have to slam or even drop the weights they are too heavy to begin with.

2. Some people believe there is nothing wrong with behind the presses or behind the pulldowns until I point out what the possibilities of injury are. The problem is (and this is primarly my research with the assistance of Mike Boyle) shoulder impingment syndrom can happen, that is basically when the bones in the upper arm or shoulder are not aligned correctly and narrows the space around where the muscles of your shoulders, subscapular and traps move. When you have the bar above your head it's usually the correct mechanics, but as you lower the bar you have to move your head slightly forward and externally rotating the shoulder and girdle. As you lower the load more it causes the misalignment causing the space to get smaller and eventually pinching that nerve. And yes, Rimbaud is also correct if you went down too far.

I've said time and time again.........stay off of the machines ESPECIALLY when it comes down to overhead pressing. There is little if any function. I can't remember the last time I used a smith machine for any type of press.

1. Ice it for 20 min

2. 800mg ibuprofin

Thanks for the advice, but it is pretty hard not to slam the DBs a little bit. I think the floor is hollow or something, it makes the loudest noise if you barely even slam them at all. I tried Ibuprofin, not working so good so far. I will wait till tomorrow to see how I feel.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
How much weight were you using? & how "low" were you going?
I started with 95 pounds and went to 135, maybe 145 for a set I don't remember. I went down pretty far, I touched my traps.
E

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
I started with 95 pounds and went to 135, maybe 145 for a set I don't remember. I went down pretty far, I touched my traps.
If you're facing a mirror, stop at your ears.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »
If you're facing a mirror, stop at your ears.

I think I am done with those for a while, this is pretty painful. Maybe front presses.
E

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
I think I am done with those for a while, this is pretty painful. Maybe front presses.
Even front presses, don't go lower than your chin. I see some younger guys going down to their chests, it's ridiculous.

How wide of a grip do you use?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 03:30:09 AM »
Even front presses, don't go lower than your chin. I see some younger guys going down to their chests, it's ridiculous.

How wide of a grip do you use?

I change my grip each set, but basically my middle fingers are on the smooth part of the olympic bar. I think this was from using the smith machine, I hardly ever use it and have ever gotten hurt working out before.
E

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
coach: whats your opinion on doing shoulder presses in a smith in the front, say lowest you go is to the chin and finish with arms not fully extended/not locked out
Z

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:37 AM »
I tend to touch the DB`s till my delts, i have been doing this for quite a few months, my delts have responded nicely to this, is it ok??

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »

You went too far. I like Behind the Neck Presses but I never go over 125 & never let the upper part of my arm (biceps/triceps) go below parallel with the floor.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »

1. Ice it for 20 min

2. 800mg ibuprofin

Thank you.