Author Topic: Want to gain weight an start body building help  (Read 1821 times)

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
Want to gain weight an start body building help
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:32:42 AM »
Im new here, names Jeff an im 24 ( if this is in the wrong forum, mod please move thanks )

Well, I have been small all my life; currently 5"7 at 138lbs ( and thats the most i have ever weighed! )
anyways, im looking to put on weight an not really sure what to do. I have done some research an read that i need at least 3000 calories a day to gain 1lb a week, at 6 meals a day roughly. But, what do i do for work outs? Since im trying to gain weight?

I have been to the gym before with NO results an didnt know what i did wrong so... i really really wanna give this time ALL my dedication. I really wish to be healthy, fit an muscular for once in my life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, HB

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Want to gain weight an start body building help
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:06:06 AM »
First of all, start eating, even when you don't feel hungry... EAT EAT EAT all the time

For training, start with a fullbody, at first it will be piss hard for you to complete a full workout, but once your body starts getting used to it you will be fine, and it should shoot your apetite through the roof...

And get checked for tapeworms, you never know do ya?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »
Welcome to the board HBHarrison!

As far as foods go, stick to regular food, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Add a couple of extra meals to that. Nothing fancy.

As far as training goes, there's so many routines out there... but use the first month or so to learn the proper technique and balance in free weights. Remember to train your whole body - legs and calves too, that will help your overall weight gain.
Z

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »
Honestly I would go to the home page and look at the articles. There is one for training and one for nutrition for beginners. Follow them and you will start growing fast! Don't make the same mistakes most people do and fall into the over training trap.

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
First of all, start eating, even when you don't feel hungry... EAT EAT EAT all the time

For training, start with a fullbody, at first it will be piss hard for you to complete a full workout, but once your body starts getting used to it you will be fine, and it should shoot your apetite through the roof...

And get checked for tapeworms, you never know do ya?

I read something about RESISTANCE training while trying to gain weight. What really is that?

And tapeworms?

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
Welcome to the board HBHarrison!

As far as foods go, stick to regular food, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Add a couple of extra meals to that. Nothing fancy.

As far as training goes, there's so many routines out there... but use the first month or so to learn the proper technique and balance in free weights. Remember to train your whole body - legs and calves too, that will help your overall weight gain.

My work schedule is crazy an not sure what to eat. I work nights!! From 8:30pm till 8:30am ( with a 2 hour break from 2 -4am )
And i sleep from 11am till about 7pm. Any suggestions on what to eat to GAIN weight during these times while im at work would be awesome.

P.S.  I work at an airport

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »
5'7" and 138? You are probably bigger than last years Mr. Getbigs competitors. Do you own a thong? You have one day left.
E

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Honestly I would go to the home page and look at the articles. There is one for training and one for nutrition for beginners. Follow them and you will start growing fast! Don't make the same mistakes most people do and fall into the over training trap.

I will try an read up on some.

Right now, i just finished doing 3 sets of push ups an abdominal workouts and about to cook up 4 eggs, 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter  an 2 cups of milk with an apple. Hopefully i can down it. This a decent start? And as for last night i had a foot long Subway Turkey sub on whole wheat with onion,lettuce,peppers,tomatoes an some hot sauce. Then, later on came home for lunch an cooked up 4 pieces of toast, Salmon an mashed potatoes. came home from work an ate some peanuts, now im going to cook the eggs. Do i need more?

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:23:56 AM »
5'7" and 138? You are probably bigger than last years Mr. Getbigs competitors. Do you own a thong? You have one day left.

lol no but i got this pic lol ( i was smashed!! )

And this one lol hahahahaha

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:26:37 AM »
I also been drinking tons of milk an water... but i here i shouldn't?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
lol no but i got this pic lol ( i was smashed!! )

And this one lol hahahahaha

Hahaha, well played ;D
E

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »
Might consider doing 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps of squats, BB rows and bench presses, in that order. These are basic compound muscle builders (two joints, or more, involved in a exercise). Throw in a couple sets of BB curls and ab work after the compound exercises are done. At least twice a week. Three times a week may prove better if you can arrange it. Please back away from any exercise machine at this time. Free weights (hate that term) are the only choice now.

You do not want to eat, eat and eat some more. Why make the mistake of becoming a fat slob by stuffing yourself. Guy's who tend to do his may gain 5lbs of muscle and 10lbs of fat in the long run. But you do want to increase the calories with-in the mean average of 3,000 daily. This would be higher quality calories. Looking at your sample diet, I wonder if you are a veggie? Lean muscle meat tends to build muscle, like roast beef, steak, meatloafs and even higher quality ground round. Adding a table spoon of olive, canola or safflower oil through out the day can also up the daily quality calorie intake without stuffing yourself. That's about 125 calories a spoon full. Four doses daily are 500 calories. Can be taken with a good whey protein for more positive affects. Also the importance of sleep and allowing proper recovery time between workouts is very important. Good Luck

Side Bar: I am sure those pic's you released are on many gay web sights by now. Plus posted in gay bars around the world. If that's you nature, than so be it. Just a little friendly advice if you were not aware of this fact. And the power of the internet.
F

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Might consider doing 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps of squats, BB rows and bench presses, in that order. These are basic compound muscle builders (two joints, or more, involved in a exercise). Throw in a couple sets of BB curls and ab work after the compound exercises are done. At least twice a week. Three times a week may prove better if you can arrange it. Please back away from any exercise machine at this time. Free weights (hate that term) are the only choice now.

You do not want to eat, eat and eat some more. Why make the mistake of becoming a fat slob by stuffing yourself. Guy's who tend to do his may gain 5lbs of muscle and 10lbs of fat in the long run. But you do want to increase the calories with-in the mean average of 3,000 daily. This would be higher quality calories. Looking at your sample diet, I wonder if you are a veggie? Lean muscle meat tends to build muscle, like roast beef, steak, meatloafs and even higher quality ground round. Adding a table spoon of olive, canola or safflower oil through out the day can also up the daily quality calorie intake without stuffing yourself. That's about 125 calories a spoon full. Four doses daily are 500 calories. Can be taken with a good whey protein for more positive affects. Also the importance of sleep and allowing proper recovery time between workouts is very important. Good Luck

Side Bar: I am sure those pic's you released are on many gay web sights by now. Plus posted in gay bars around the world. If that's you nature, than so be it. Just a little friendly advice if you were not aware of this fact. And the power of the internet.

Thanks for the advice. What are BB rows?

And sorry to be a pain here but, what workouts should i be doing every other day in order? And how many of each? Im new to this stuff an feel dumb asking but want to know.

And about the pictures i could care less lol i already posted them on another site for ppl to photo shop hahahah i dont matter to me

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
If you've just started then you can make some good improvements in the next few months.

With your diet, make sure you're eating at least four meals a day.  Try to keep them as clean as possible, not junk, and avoid too many snacks, as you don't want to be adding weight just for the sake of it.  If you're working long shifts, you're gonna need to find time to get in a couple of small meals somewhere.
It's way too early for any supplements really, but a good multi-vitamin/mineral is always useful.

With training, keep to the basic movements for the time being.  Concentrate on getting the form right before you start piling on the plates.  If you get into bad habits now, you'll be lining yourself up for an injury later on.  I'd probably be looking at something like this:-

WORKOUT A
Squats - 5 sets of 20/15/12/12/12
Bench press - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Bentover Row - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12/10/10
Barbell Curl - 3 sets of 10
Dips - 3 sets of 10

WORKOUT B
Deadlifts - 5 sets of 20/15/12/12/12
Incline Bench - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Chins - 4 sets of 12
Dumbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12/10/10
Dumbell Curl - 3 sets of 10
Lying Triceps Extensions - 3 sets of 10

Alternate the two workouts, leaving 48 hours between each one.  Again, don't worry about the weights you're using, just concentrate on doing the movement correct.  Smaller muscles like calves, abs, forearms, can be fitted in where you wish.  With about 90 seconds rest, you should be in and out in an hour.  Make sure to take in some simple carbs after your workout to replace glycogen stores, and some protein within an hour or so.

Anyways, that's my thoughts.  The important thing is to look around, do some research and try different exercises to see which ones you like.  Everyone has motivation when they start, but you need to make sure you enjoy what you are doing to keep that motivation going.  Everyone can give you lots of different opinions on what to do, but you need to find out what works best for you.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
Do you own a bra?
G

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 02:38:08 AM »
Do you own a bra?

No, why? Are you bashing the great Avesher?
E

HBHarrison

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 06:48:44 AM »
If you've just started then you can make some good improvements in the next few months.

With your diet, make sure you're eating at least four meals a day.  Try to keep them as clean as possible, not junk, and avoid too many snacks, as you don't want to be adding weight just for the sake of it.  If you're working long shifts, you're gonna need to find time to get in a couple of small meals somewhere.
It's way too early for any supplements really, but a good multi-vitamin/mineral is always useful.

With training, keep to the basic movements for the time being.  Concentrate on getting the form right before you start piling on the plates.  If you get into bad habits now, you'll be lining yourself up for an injury later on.  I'd probably be looking at something like this:-

WORKOUT A
Squats - 5 sets of 20/15/12/12/12
Bench press - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Bentover Row - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12/10/10
Barbell Curl - 3 sets of 10
Dips - 3 sets of 10

WORKOUT B
Deadlifts - 5 sets of 20/15/12/12/12
Incline Bench - 4 sets of 15/12/10/10
Chins - 4 sets of 12
Dumbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 12/10/10
Dumbell Curl - 3 sets of 10
Lying Triceps Extensions - 3 sets of 10

Alternate the two workouts, leaving 48 hours between each one.  Again, don't worry about the weights you're using, just concentrate on doing the movement correct.  Smaller muscles like calves, abs, forearms, can be fitted in where you wish.  With about 90 seconds rest, you should be in and out in an hour.  Make sure to take in some simple carbs after your workout to replace glycogen stores, and some protein within an hour or so.

Anyways, that's my thoughts.  The important thing is to look around, do some research and try different exercises to see which ones you like.  Everyone has motivation when they start, but you need to make sure you enjoy what you are doing to keep that motivation going.  Everyone can give you lots of different opinions on what to do, but you need to find out what works best for you.

Mu buddy goes to the gym all the time an is pretty ripped himself, with the same body type an height pretty much. So he gonna get me to the gym an show me i guess. But i will start with these. Thanks for your advice. And i gues s i will have to google some of those work outs u mentioned above lol i dont know some of them