Author Topic: chins vs wide grip pulldowns  (Read 6413 times)

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
chins vs wide grip pulldowns
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
I rep 200 lbs on my last set of wide grip pulldown and I only weight 187. But I am terrible at chins and can't get that many reps. I use good form on my pulldowns Im not throwing my self backwards to get it down and I use the same grip, so why is this?

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
Re: chins vs wide grip pulldowns
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
I bet it is because the pulley system on you pull downs makes the weight less then 200 lbs. Just do pull ups til you can not do anymore then drop set to lat pull downs. It really works well and helps you get the most out of your pull ups.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
Ya, it could be the pulley, some don't represent anywhere near the real weight. Also the fact that pulldowns and chins aren't exactly the same motion and the resistance is felt from different angles. In one you're physically moving yourself thru a range of motion, in the other you're stationary.

Chins are typically hard to master at the beginning, the only way to do it is to keep doing them for a good long while, during which time you will eventually see the reps go up. Also try using negatives on chins, even if you can't pull yourself up. The grip used is another difference.

They're similar but it's worth doing both if you can, though i think one or the other gives similar results.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
always felt like chinups are a waste of time for most guys, 95 percent of guys you see doing them are doing them wrong, half and quarter reps, kicking their legs, swinging, all while hanging your body fron an overhead bar, way too harmful to the shoulders, i've always thought pulldowns are a better movement, better focus on the muscle, you can vary where you pull the bar too, better pump and feel in the lats, etc. just my 2 cents.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »
always felt like chinups are a waste of time for most guys

+1 just because pulldowns are very similar. There are some sweet pulldown machines on the market now that are hard to beat for hitting the lats very very well, as good as it gets. Here's one i like, pulldown action but slightly different angle than chins or standard pulldowns would allow. Really fried the lats the other day. Pulldowns are also alot less exhausting than chins.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
There's no substitute for the many variations of chins IMO.
Z

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
+1 just because pulldowns are very similar. There are some sweet pulldown machines on the market now that are hard to beat for hitting the lats very very well, as good as it gets. Here's one i like, pulldown action but slightly different angle than chins or standard pulldowns would allow. Really fried the lats the other day. Pulldowns are also alot less exhausting than chins.

yeah we've got that pulldown machine at my gym, i think it's a Nautilus Nitro plate loaded unit and yes it does pump the lats beyond belief, you can also do it one arm at a time very easily, awesome machine, they've also got a seated row that's kind of similar.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »
i rate weighted chins highly. Done with a full ROM great exercise

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »
I think any pull up variation is a good movement to do but it needs to be done right, as Quaker said, because if you are going to do a half assed pull up you might as well just do a pulldown.  Personally I think for a bodybuilder both are a good idea.  They hit the muscle in different ways.  In terms of general strength, it's always good to know you can pull your own body weight up.   ;D
Squishy face retard

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
I think any pull up variation is a good movement to do but it needs to be done right, as Quaker said, because if you are going to do a half assed pull up you might as well just do a pulldown.  Personally I think for a bodybuilder both are a good idea.  They hit the muscle in different ways.  In terms of general strength, it's always good to know you can pull your own body weight up.   ;D
i agree, one thing though is that the heavier you become and the more muscle you build the harder it becomes to do chins properly, i've seen one decently built 240 pound plus guy in my life do chins PROPERLY and he did maybe 6-8 reps.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
what do u mean by properly QO?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
what do u mean by properly QO?
well i've always felt that AT THE VERY LEAST your entire head should easily clear the bar and for the best results you should try to touch your chest to the bar, there used to be a bodybuilding show on ESPN and there was a pretty good sized bodybuilder named Rick Valente who did them that way, he would touch his chest to the bar on each rep and he was a big thick dude too.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
The best option would probably to use one of the thicker JumpStretch bands and use it to do assisted pullups - supposedly it's better than pulldowns and better than assisted pullup machines:

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
i dont touch my chest to the bar but my chin clears the bar by 2" on every rep i do.

I have back again on tuesday i think gonna try it then see if i can touch chest, I do right down though always and no momentum shit

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
i dont touch my chest to the bar but my chin clears the bar by 2" on every rep i do.

I have back again on tuesday i think gonna try it then see if i can touch chest, I do right down though always and no momentum shit
you're pretty strong on chins then man.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
The best option would probably to use one of the thicker JumpStretch bands and use it to do assisted pullups - supposedly it's better than pulldowns and better than assisted pullup machines:

fuck the bands ill take that female  :P

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
you're pretty strong on chins then man.

2 kid PLers in my gym. I train with them. One posts on here though wont tell me his handle...says i have argued with him before lol

anyway...

one at 62.5kg chins 52.5kg...other at 73kg can do a OAC. Impressive. Lots of good chinners in my gym. My work sets are with 44lbs which is hardly astounding but that puts my weight at 275lbs

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »
i agree, one thing though is that the heavier you become and the more muscle you build the harder it becomes to do chins properly, i've seen one decently built 240 pound plus guy in my life do chins PROPERLY and he did maybe 6-8 reps.
Agreed, most guys end up doing half reps and/or just using their biceps.  For bigger guys I think the assisted pull up machine could be a good capper for a work out.  Get all the crazy lifts out of the way and finish off that way.  If you were a bodybuilder and only had one to use I think I'd say pulldowns, unless you are Arnold and can rep out on pullups.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »
Actually the more heavier and muscle mass you build the more stronger you should be in the chins or any other exercise. That's the whole idea behind serious training . So approaching chinning with the 5X5 system, for example, anyone should be able, after awhile, to be using some pretty impressive weight in chinning.

Just because anyone gains that muscular weight does not mean that their strength in the chin will stay the same or be even less because of increased bwt. Seen  big men do sets of 2's or 3's in the chin with quite a few plates. Trouble is, most BB'er's think higher reps should always be done with chinning. Not true, treat it like a power movement and see what happens.

Some men have a natural stronger ratio pull than to their push. These are the guy's who can chin, and reap the benefits of this mass builder, advancing up to using heavier weights strapped on. Reverse is true of a natural stronger push. These guy's seem to have not all that trouble using 400 and above after awhile. Guy's who want to up their benching may do well by adding heavy chins to their programs.

Gironda made the wide grip chin, touching the upper chest to the bar each rep and hold for a second, popular. Hits the full contraction of the lat's and other back muscle groups. Most guy's pull to about eye to chin level. At times that may include half reps. Whatever method work for you, use it to your advantage. (hint: partial reps and heavy negatives work very well when wanting to increase size and power in any form of chin's).

With pulldowns, the weight of the hips/butt/ legs are taken out of the equation. With full chins, they are not. You are lifting more full bwt. Which makes it a more demanding and productive exercise for most.  Old BB'ing theory that a body lifted lifted in space (like chinning or dips) are more effected for mass building. Interesting anyway. Good Luck.
F

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »
Arnold always said pull ups should not be replaced by pulldowns.

But now in the gyms there are many new back machines.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »
Arnold always said pull ups should not be replaced by pulldowns.

But now in the gyms there are many new back machines.

Ya he was one of those who had a preference. He's a student of BB and gave his training methods serious thought. However i would say that in a few cases here and there his ideas were debatable, including this example. I don't think there's the big difference between them, it's just that he's had this personal preference for a long time. Also the machines are better now in various ways.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »
Yes the machines now are more sophisticated.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
i rate weighted chins highly. Done with a full ROM great exercise
full ROM I take the short ROM.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:18 AM »
full ROM I take the short ROM.

All good as long as the muscle's worked.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

what a fag he isnt even looking at her cola