Author Topic: Hot Stove thread.  (Read 5785 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Hot Stove thread.
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »
Free agency for MLB starts tonight so I figured I'd throw this up and see if it sticks :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Hot Stove thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
Yanks start off with a safe move by acquiring Swisher.  The got him for next to nothing, and I don't see this hindering any potential big moves.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:17:26 PM »
Yanks start off with a safe move by acquiring Swisher.  The got him for next to nothing, and I don't see this hindering any potential big moves.

I agree.looks like a good start.

body88

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
I expect the sox to showcase more from their farm.  They will go after a name or two, but I think they are in pretty good shape as is. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
I expect the sox to showcase more from their farm.  They will go after a name or two, but I think they are in pretty good shape as is. 

What do you think they will do at catcher?  Boras stated Varitek's starting point was at Posada's level 4/52 or 13m per.  I wouldn't give him 4 at 13 TOTAL.

I'm pretty sure Theo will feel the same way and not go four years.  He's let big names go before (Nomar, Manny, etc...) so I think he won't be afraid to let him walk.

Do you think they'll offer him 2 at a reduced rate, or just let him go?
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:35:58 PM »
I was really looking forward to this offseason, as the Yankees have 80+ million coming off the books, and there is a great FA class.

CC Sabathia was at the top of my list, and the Yankees reportedly have put forth a 6/140 offer.  If so, they're not playing games with this one.
Y

body88

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »
What do you think they will do at catcher?  Boras stated Varitek's starting point was at Posada's level 4/52 or 13m per.  I wouldn't give him 4 at 13 TOTAL.

I'm pretty sure Theo will feel the same way and not go four years.  He's let big names go before (Nomar, Manny, etc...) so I think he won't be afraid to let him walk.

Do you think they'll offer him 2 at a reduced rate, or just let him go?

I don't think the Sox offer will Tek what he wants.  Tek (as an offensive player) is far past his prime....however, teams with young-talented pitching staffs will forgo his poor offensive numbers, to utilize his coaching abilities behind the plate.  Time and time again, Tek's pitchers have raved about his worth in that regard.  Further more, there is really no way the Sox can keep him if he is asking 13 mill per year.  I think the sox will offer him 10 Mill per year ( in order to save him them embarrassment of a pay cut), but they will not offer him a third year guaranteed.  Obviously this will be a sticking point, and most likely cause his departure from the sox.

The Sox have adopted the mothod of developing talent from within, and building a cohesive team with the farm......yes, they will go after a big name or two ( Marc Tex), but they will not overpay for a player who is past his prime.  I suspect that Theo is working on a "bomb dropper", but other than that, the sox will use their homegrown talent to plug in players where they have holes.

Aside from injuries, the sox were one game away from going back to the world series, so I think they are in far better shape than people will give them credit for.

Expect for the Sox to contend for a title next year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
  I think the sox will offer him 10 Mill per year ( in order to save him them embarrassment of a pay cut), but they will not offer him a third year guaranteed.  Obviously this will be a sticking point, and most likely cause his departure from the sox.

I totally agree about the third year.  I'm still not sure about going as high as 10m per.  Epstein can be shrewd.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
I really thought Mussina would come back :-\

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
I really thought Mussina would come back :-\

I didn't, he'd kind of been hinting at it. Hopefully, we don't need him because our rotation looks like this:

Sabathia
Wang
Chamberlain
Burnett
Hughes/Pettitte.

We'll see, though.  All depends on the FAs.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz

Somebody make a move already.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Somebody make a move already.

Hopefully some action at the winter meetings.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »
I think with the economic situation everyone's facing nobody wants to set the market.  Once one of the big chips falls, this thing should heat up.

Many big name players were not offered arbitration, meaning teams are willing to let players walk with no draft pick compensation rather than risk having to pay them money that's not dictated by them.  Players like Dunn, Abreu, etc....

Could be an interesting situation.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »
I think with the economic situation everyone's facing nobody wants to set the market.  Once one of the big chips falls, this thing should heat up.

Many big name players were not offered arbitration, meaning teams are willing to let players walk with no draft pick compensation rather than risk having to pay them money that's not dictated by them.  Players like Dunn, Abreu, etc....

Could be an interesting situation.

In todays paper it said that Sabbathia might just fall into the Yanks lap because no has made an offer besides the Brewers 100mil.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

In todays paper it said that Sabbathia might just fall into the Yanks lap because no has made an offer besides the Brewers 100mil.

Wouldn't bother me at all.  I think his preference is the West Coast, but he won't leave 40M on the table to get it.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »
Wouldn't bother me at all.  I think his preference is the West Coast, but he won't leave 40M on the table to get it.

There's talk about the Braves giving Burnett 5 years.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 09:25:25 AM »

There's talk about the Braves giving Burnett 5 years.

If they do that, let them have him.  I think 5 years of Burnett is insane.  He just doesn't give you the innings.  And, if you look at his history, he seems to have his "least injured" years in walk years.

I would definitely take him for the 3-4 year range though.   Having AJ in the #4 slot would be insane.
Y

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »
I love this shit...I'm hoping the Sox pick up Lowe as it seems he wants back to Boston. It would appear their earlier move with Texas was to get either Saltilimachia (no idea on the SP) or the other kid. We need somebody to protect Oritiz so I hope they nail Texiera
L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 06:00:45 AM »
Lowe and Teixeira would be great pickups for the sox.  The only issue being what to do with Lowell after Youkilis is moved to third.   Ideally, he could be a righty/lefty platoon with Ortiz, but I don't think either of them would go for that, and the sox probably don't want to have a 25-26M dollar DH.

Teixeira is reported to be only concerned with getting the maximum dollar amount.   If true, he could end up anywhere.  I think it will be either Anaheim,Boston, NY, or Baltimore.
Y

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 07:44:46 AM »
One day I hear that and one day u hear he wants to win. If he goes to the friggen Nationals we know he's full of shit. Ortiz needs protection. It remains to be seen how injured he was or how much was Manny. I think he needs protection. His post season production was depressing. I was more excite to see Bay or Drew come up then him. Teixeira said he wants it done by Christmas so times ticking by.
L

body88

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »
Lowe and Teixeira would be great pickups for the sox.  The only issue being what to do with Lowell after Youkilis is moved to third.   Ideally, he could be a righty/lefty platoon with Ortiz, but I don't think either of them would go for that, and the sox probably don't want to have a 25-26M dollar DH.

Teixeira is reported to be only concerned with getting the maximum dollar amount.   If true, he could end up anywhere.  I think it will be either Anaheim,Boston, NY, or Baltimore.

There is no way Lowe comes back to Boston.  The guy is a borderline drunk, and there is a reason they got rid of him.  Lowe could be seen puking in the trash buckets at Water Works on random weekend nights when he played in Boston.

The sox will trade Lowell if they get Tex (and I think they will). 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:23:02 AM »
I can only take ur word on that and there has to be some reason they let him walk but....we could use him. The more pitching the better. There is no telling how Becket will be and Dice-K's year was smoke and mirrors.  I'm not saying he can't do it again but he had a trainwreck on the basepads every other inning. I watched alot of baseball last year...it was very hard to relax with him on the mound.

2008 Season Stats
SPLITS G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 34 34 1 0 211.0 194 84 76 14 45 147 14 11 92.3 1.13 .246 3.24
Career 533 255 9 3 1940.1 1915 925 809 156 546 1275 126 107 93.2 1.27 .257 3.75

L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »

The sox will trade Lowell if they get Tex (and I think they will). 

I don't know how many takers there are for a guy his age coming off hip surgery.   They would absolutely end up having to eat at a MINIMUM 5 million/year of his contract to move him, which, if you believe the numbers it would take to sign Teixeira, would make the total cost for Teixeira to be between 25-30 million/year until Lowell's contract is up.

That's a ton of money.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:28:15 AM »
One day I hear that and one day u hear he wants to win. If he goes to the friggen Nationals we know he's full of shit. Ortiz needs protection. It remains to be seen how injured he was or how much was Manny. I think he needs protection. His post season production was depressing. I was more excite to see Bay or Drew come up then him. Teixeira said he wants it done by Christmas so times ticking by.

Yes, if he ends up in somebody's shit system, we'll know the truth, but it's likely that those teams won't even try for him.  Baltimore may be the exception.

The sox definitely need another bat.  Ortiz may rebound somewhat, but I wouldn't bank on a total transformation.  Use guys like Bichette, Mo Vaughn, and Cecil Fielder as comps.  Once guys like that start getting hurt and getting older, it's hard for them to revert back to true form.

Y

body88

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
I don't know how many takers there are for a guy his age coming off hip surgery.   They would absolutely end up having to eat at a MINIMUM 5 million/year of his contract to move him, which, if you believe the numbers it would take to sign Teixeira, would make the total cost for Teixeira to be between 25-30 million/year until Lowell's contract is up.

That's a ton of money.

Lowell has always had hip problems.  The sox have built with the farm, they will spend what it takes to make the correct move.  They payed Lugo millions to sit on the bench.   Someone will take Lowell, he is a great player, and he was producing at a very high level before he aggravated the hip.  I have not heard a word about Lowell not being the same after the surgery. 

The sox farm is the future. It produced many current starters, many studs and also produced two legit MVP candids (Dustin won the damn thing).  Guys like Tex are finishing touches for the new system. Pap, Dustin, Lester,Masterson and Youk are studs.  Jacobe, Delcarmen,Jet and Cora are all solid MLB players.  I still think Jacobe will develope in to a stud.  There is a ton of talent in the sox farm, and some of it will be showcased this year.

The only thing the sox really need (that the farm cannot provide a stop gap for) is a catcher.  That said, they def need to go after what's best for the tea, but they will still contend if they don't get anyone.