Author Topic: dips instead of bench...hmmmmmmmm  (Read 6234 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
dips instead of bench...hmmmmmmmm
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
what do yall think of doing weighted dips or gironda dips instead of flat benching?
w

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: dips instead of bench...hmmmmmmmm
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »
my chest gets more sore from weighted dips than bench presses but i still bench every week, dips are a great movement.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
my chest gets more sore from weighted dips than bench presses but i still bench every week, dips are a great movement.
hmmm same here-ive been doing heavy slow dips and my chest has taken a new shape-more squared off...i feel benching in my delts too much...dumbells work good though

what do u guys think of just doing flies in your chest workout-one could argue for someone who has issues with delts taking over in pressing then isolation exercises would be good? ddint bill pearl sometimes only do fly movements?
w

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
I like doing dips, but I don't feel them much across the whole chest, regardless of the angle I do them, so I would always need some slight incline work to feel like I'd worked the whole chest. 

I also love doing them for tri's, one of my best movements.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
I like doing dips, but I don't feel them much across the whole chest, regardless of the angle I do them, so I would always need some slight incline work to feel like I'd worked the whole chest. 

I also love doing them for tri's, one of my best movements.
oh yeah! id def do incline work...but then do dips instead of flat benching
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:31 PM »
oh yeah! id def do incline work...but then do dips instead of flat benching
I've taken this approach from time to time and I like it.  I'm not a big fan of bench presses, but really like dips and inclines.  I've always been stronger in these lifts than flat bench.  If it works for you and you also do upper chest work, then why not?
Squishy face retard

Samhain

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:57:06 PM »
Dips leanning forward, tend to work my lower pecs pretty good. So I started doing them instead of decline bench.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
do um at the end of your chest workout.no added weight needed just 4 set's till falure.oh yea!
DAWG

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
Dips are the way to go IMO.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
Great exercise...i'm glad i started using them.

I do DB incline, flat flyes and dips for chest. No more flat benches.
No doubt about it...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:32:02 AM »
cant do gironda dips at my gym
Z

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 05:48:38 AM »
Dips are a must in every chest program.

Just make sure you flex your chest right, some people manage to do dips only with their triceps it seems. The key is to push yourself as much up as possible, bring the shoulders down and flex the chest. Try to forget your arms.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 06:21:14 AM »
do um at the end of your chest workout.no added weight needed just 4 set's till falure.oh yea!
Yeah, i do them at the end as well.

Usually two sets. Really burns out my chest. I have the feeling afterwards that the muscle has been worked "deeply" all over. Cant really explain it, but very diff from regular presses.
$

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
Dips are a must in every chest program.

Just make sure you flex your chest right, some people manage to do dips only with their triceps it seems. The key is to push yourself as much up as possible, bring the shoulders down and flex the chest. Try to forget your arms.

The easiest way to describe proper dip form for chest is to make it as much of a fly motion as possible-move the upper arms, minimize forearm motion. It's the same thing with all torso work including lats. Plus finding the right angle that emphasizes chest-forward for chest, back for tris.

For tris you want to change angles and maximize forearm ROM, minimize upper arm motion.

Dips can be better than bench, throw out the book. They don't have to be just a "finishing" exercise. The most effective exercises should be put at the start of the workout.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »
The easiest way to describe proper dip form for chest is to make it as much of a fly motion as possible-move the upper arms, minimize forearm motion. It's the same thing with lat work BTW. Plus getting the angle right.

For tris you want to change angles and maximize forearm ROM, minimize upper arm motion.

Dips can be better than bench, they don't have to be just a "finishing" exercise. The most effective exercises should be put at the start of the workout.

thanks, that's what i meant.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
thanks, that's what i meant.

Sure, it's hard to describe the difference. Same thing for any lat or chest exercise-use a fly or fanning motion that emphasizes upper arm motion and minimizes forearms.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Sure, it's hard to describe the difference. Same thing for any lat or chest exercise-use a fly or fanning motion that emphasizes upper arm motion and minimizes forearms.

english is not my first language, and i had to watch out for my boss to peep around a corner.  ;D ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
english is not my first language, and i had to watch out for my boss to peep around a corner.  ;D ;D

I've rarely seen it described clearly even by english speakers.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
what do yall think of doing weighted dips or gironda dips instead of flat benching?

You love this site Bluto.
I hate the State.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »
Dips can be better than bench, throw out the book. They don't have to be just a "finishing" exercise. The most effective exercises should be put at the start of the workout.
Rusty Jeffers said this to me during a lengthy conversation.  Pick what you are strongest at and use it.

Most guys can perfect the form on dips, more so than BB bench IMO.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 10:39:22 AM »
Dips for me, one of my favorite upper body exercises.  Think bench's are highly overrated. Dips are not a "finishing" exercise but a main compound movement geared for strength and muscle mass. A lot of weight can be added to the body with a proper belt.

This is where the "V" bar can come in to give certain advantages to the regular dipping bar.  Can go from extra wide to extra narrow, or any hand spacing between.

If you have the knuckles facing forward, at the end of any dipping bar, rather than the normal knuckles facing to the side, the pec's will get an unbelievable  stretch and influence on the chest. This position allows the elbows out much wider, which give that superior stretch. Some have had their heels of the palm, while facing the dipping bar, on the end of the bar. Giving much focus to the triceps , but also affecting the pec area.

Any interest in the Gironda style of dipping, on a "V" bar, only have to do a search. Lot of information out there. Good Luck.
F

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
Thanks for that info!

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 10:44:54 AM »
old timer never did bp; and they all have huge chest, cos they were doing a lot of dips with tone of weight
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
Dips for me, one of my favorite upper body exercises.  Think bench's are highly overrated. Dips are not a "finishing" exercise but a main compound movement geared for strength and muscle mass. A lot of weight can be added to the body with a proper belt.

This is where the "V" bar can come in to give certain advantages to the regular dipping bar.  Can go from extra wide to extra narrow, or any hand spacing between.

If you have the knuckles facing forward, at the end of any dipping bar, rather than the normal knuckles facing to the side, the pec's will get an unbelievable  stretch and influence on the chest. This position allows the elbows out much wider, which give that superior stretch. Some have had their heels of the palm, while facing the dipping bar, on the end of the bar. Giving much focus to the triceps , but also affecting the pec area.

Any interest in the Gironda style of dipping, on a "V" bar, only have to do a search. Lot of information out there. Good Luck.

say yes for the V bar
asstropin

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »

Why? What's wrong with benching? And why not do both?