Author Topic: Opposition Officially Signs Coalition Agreement And Reveals How It Will Work  (Read 8212 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Judi, maybe I'm way off here...but I'm beginning to think you are still a little bitter about the who Canadians chose to be their prime minister?

No not at all. I completely understood his appeal, ...though I do not trust the man.
He has made many decisions the opposition have vilified him for, ...yet I was in complete agreement with him on,
...however, he has clearly demonstrated to me that he IS completely unfit to govern Canada.

I'm not bitter. I'm saddened he has been able to get away with as much as he has been allowed to get away with.
And I wish the Liberals will have their convention already so that Ignatieff who looks like the most likely leader can get on with the business of guiding Canada forward.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
you actually think the voters will be more upset with Harper(conservatives) for suspending parliment a few weeks early than they will be with the liberals and ndp for pulling this shit??
think again. look at the results of the polls that have just come out.

44% said they would still want harper...which is up from 37% at the election
liberals 24% down from 26%...... and the ndp at 14% down from 18%

looks like its backfiring on the liberals and ndp

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/04/parliament-poll.html

No, I do believe it will backfire on the conservatives, ...once Canadians have the ability to make sense of what went down.

This thing all happened so quickly, and Harper ALONG WITH THE MEDIA has been spinning it as "a betrayal of democracy", " a coup d'état" etc., etc., etc., When the dust settles along with people's emotions, and they have the opportunity to examine it, Canadians will realize this was not a betrayal of democracy, but Canada's constitutional parliamentary democracy in action. It was Harper who attacked democracy in Canada, and who shut down a democratically elected parliament in an attempt to silence democratically elected voices.

He had made a desperate bid to cling to power, ...and it has worked for the time being, however, his complete reversal on the budget shows there was no principal behind his measures, and his concessions were for purely selfish reasons of political self-preservation.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
ya i get how our weird system works...but i dont agree with it. and i think if the opposition actually cared about "canadians" and their vote, they wouldnt pull this shit. they would try and find a more reasonable way to deal with the fact that they lost the election. cause that what this is really about. they(liberals & ndp) are saying that they are doing this cause of what harper has/hasnt done over the last few weeks. but they have been planning this "take over" since the election.

No blinky. If you had been following harper's moves ever since taking office, you will  have noted that every move he bullied the opposition and made it a non confidence vote. The Opposition tried to reach out and work with them, but have been refused and rebuffed every step of the way with Harper insisting it is a matter of confidence. So now that it came down to what he has been threatening all along... a confidence vote, ...he runs away from it.

It's not about losing the election, it's about losing confidence.

as for the 'running away and hiding'..... i dont know much about it but apparently the GG thinks its a good idea. and if youre watching the news today it seems like it might be the right thing. there are liberals coming out now saying that they dont agree with the coalition and even a couple criticizing Dion publicly and saying he should be gone now. obviously there is some disagreement amongst themselves about this coalition. time away might be good.

There's no doubt in my mind that is simply political posturing from candidates who don't want any backlash from constituents. Ignatieff has done everything to make it known he is not part of the coalition. Rae cannot distance himself, because he did the same thing in Onatrio when Miller's government was only 8 seats away from the liberals.

I can see where many members of the public not understanding how minority governments are supposed to work may be against it. I'm saddened that it actually had to come to that, and I'm disappointed that since it did, it didn't go through.

and on a side note and not as important(but i do find funny). did u see Dion's recorded speech yesterday after Harpers? it was a joke...HAHA
he looked nervous throughout the whole thing and it looked like he filmed it at his moms house infront of one of her bookshelves. plus took more than an hour to get it to air. even many from his party said it was inexcusable. this man should not be leading canada for any length of time

In all fairness, he didn't have days to plan it, or the luxury of putting much production value into it.
It could not be shot until AFTER Harper's statement. His was a response to Harper's statement, and could only be made after Harper delivered his own speech.

{LOL} There is no denying the "nerdy geek factor is strong in that one" {cringe}

w

blinky

• Getbig V
No, I do believe it will backfire on the conservatives, ...once Canadians have the ability to make sense of what went down.

This thing all happened so quickly, and Harper ALONG WITH THE MEDIA has been spinning it as "a betrayal of democracy", " a coup d'état" etc., etc., etc., When the dust settles along with people's emotions, and they have the opportunity to examine it, Canadians will realize this was not a betrayal of democracy, but Canada's constitutional parliamentary democracy in action. It was Harper who attacked democracy in Canada, and who shut down a democratically elected parliament in an attempt to silence democratically elected voices.

He had made a desperate bid to cling to power, ...and it has worked for the time being, however, his complete reversal on the budget shows there was no principal behind his measures, and his concessions were for purely selfish reasons of political self-preservation.

so you say its democratic for the liberals and ndp to try to overthrow the
democratically elected parliament in an attempt to silence democratically elected voices.

but yet you say harper is attacking democracy by going into the christmas break a few weeks early?? 
does this sound right? really??

i dont get how you people that are for this coalition think overthrowing the elected government is not a slap in the face to democracy...yet harper asking for an early break for the holidays IS against democracy.

isnt the #1 point of a democratic society the ability of the people to vote/choose the government?

24KT

• Getbig V

so you say its democratic for the liberals and ndp to try to overthrow the
but yet you say harper is attacking democracy by going into the christmas break a few weeks early?? 
does this sound right? really??

i dont get how you people that are for this coalition think overthrowing the elected government is not a slap in the face to democracy...yet harper asking for an early break for the holidays IS against democracy.

isnt the #1 point of a democratic society the ability of the people to vote/choose the government?

{LOL} Oh Puleaze! The opposition is not looking "overthrow" the government. They wanted to form it.
They were exercising their obligations in a constitutional parliamentary democracy to represent their constituents who compose 63% of the Canadian population by voting on a very unpopular series of budget proposals. It was Harper who made it a non confidence vote.

Harper wasn't asking for an early holiday, he was seeking to avoid a vote he knew he would lose.
Spin it any way you want, ...we all know what it is.  :)

Had the non confidence vote occured, 63% of the population's choice would have formed the new government from among the duly elected members in the house of commons. This is Canada, and this is how it's suppose to work.
It is Harper who has attacked Canadian democracy in action.
w

blinky

• Getbig V
No blinky. If you had been following harper's moves ever since taking office, you will  have noted that every move he bullied the opposition and made it a non confidence vote. The Opposition tried to reach out and work with them, but have been refused and rebuffed every step of the way with Harper insisting it is a matter of confidence. So now that it came down to what he has been threatening all along... a confidence vote, ...he runs away from it.

It's not about losing the election, it's about losing confidence.

yes i know thats the reason they are giving..and in all fairness a decent one.
but the ndp & liberals were overheard(and the taped conference call) discussing that this was talked about and being planned way before any of this stuff happened.

In all fairness, he didn't have days to plan it, or the luxury of putting much production value into it.
It could not be shot until AFTER Harper's statement. His was a response to Harper's statement, and could only be made after Harper delivered his own speech.

actually they said Dion's was taped before Harper gave his. this is why people were so upset at how terrible it was and how long it took to get aired

24KT

• Getbig V
yes i know thats the reason they are giving..and in all fairness a decent one.
but the ndp & liberals were overheard(and the taped conference call) discussing that this was talked about and being planned way before any of this stuff happened.

I've heard the full conference call, not just the one sentence taken out of context that Harper leaked to the press to make those allegations. Harper will still have to face possible criminal charges on that, for not only eavesdropping on the call, but recording it, and releasing it's contents to the public. That's shameful. Richard Nixon went down for the same thing, ...only Nixon wasn't stupid enough to broadcast it. He still went down. I believe that in ontario, Harper's actions are illegal.

actually they said Dion's was taped before Harper gave his. this is why people were so upset at how terrible it was and how long it took to get aired

I wasn't aware of that. In any event I doubt it was taped before Harper's. Harper's wasn't live, it was taped prior to being aired. There's a difference.
w

blinky

• Getbig V
{LOL} Oh Puleaze! The opposition is not looking "overthrow" the government. They wanted to form it.

yes they are looking to form a government by overthrowing the one that was elected

represent their constituents who compose 63% of the Canadian population

Had the non confidence vote occured, 63% of the population's choice would have formed the new government .

you talk about "spin" yet you keep saying this. in a differnt system it would matter. but in ours it doesnt. its not how our winning party/PM is picked.

and no, i know harper didnt ask for an early holiday break. but in essence thats all that really happened. and in our democratic system it is allowed.

you keep saying how forming a coalition government is allowed in the case of a minority government under our democratic rules. so if you think that is ok then its tough to say that him asking to suspend parliment(which is also allowed) is against democracy...same set of rules/laws

ok im tired and were just going in circles ....LOL
im done for today.
i just hope everything works out best for canada

blinky

• Getbig V
I've heard the full conference call, not just the one sentence taken out of context that Harper leaked to the press to make those allegations. Harper will still have to face possible criminal charges on that, for not only eavesdropping on the call, but recording it, and releasing it's contents to the public. That's shameful. Richard Nixon went down for the same thing, ...only Nixon wasn't stupid enough to broadcast it. He still went down. I believe that in ontario, Harper's actions are illegal.

im not saying it's right (it definately isnt). im just saying where things were heard. and all i heard is what was released to the media so you may know more.
and yes the person responsible for doing it should be investigated.

I wasn't aware of that. In any event I doubt it was taped before Harper's. Harper's wasn't live, it was taped prior to being aired. There's a difference.

no Harper's wasnt live but the guys on tv said that Dion's was recorded before he saw Harpers.

24KT

• Getbig V
yes they are looking to form a government by overthrowing the one that was elected

you talk about "spin" yet you keep saying this. in a differnt system it would matter. but in ours it doesnt. its not how our winning party/PM is picked.

In a different system, criticizing the head of state could be considered a treasonous offense. But this is not Stalinist Russia. This is Canada. Criticizing the PM is not only permissible, but if he behaves irresponsibly towards Canada and Canadians, his removal from office by his political opponents in a coalition is required in our system of government. In our system, that is PRECISELY how our PM is picked if the current PM loses the confidence of the house. He has done just that.  It is 'Responsible Government', ...and Harper must be held accountable, since he's responsible for this mess to begin with.

and no, i know harper didnt ask for an early holiday break. but in essence thats all that really happened. and in our democratic system it is allowed.

you keep saying how forming a coalition government is allowed in the case of a minority government under our democratic rules. so if you think that is ok then its tough to say that him asking to suspend parliment(which is also allowed) is against democracy...same set of rules/laws

Except one side is using recognized parliamentary procedures for getting on with the business of Canada,
and the other is using a parliamentary technical loophole to stall, and avoid getting on with the business of Canada.

ok im tired and were just going in circles ....LOL
im done for today.
i just hope everything works out best for canada

I hope thinks work out for Canada as well.  :)

By your last statement, I can see you're a secret supporter of the canadian coalition movement.   ;)

You see Blinky, ...this is how a coalition government would work.
They proceed only in areas of agreement that are in the country's best interest.
Sitting on your hands, doing nothing, schemeing at how you can hang onto power isn't in Canada's best interest.  ;)

Vacationing in Crawford wasn't in the best interests of the US people while officials came racing up sirens blaring to hand the pResident a report entitled "Bin Laden determined to strike in the USA", and vacationing in Ottawa while an economic storm of unprecedented proportions threatens to sink the Canadian economy, isn't in the best interests of Canada.

ps: Of course you're done. I wouldn't want to have to argue that calling "an early holiday" in the midst of a crisis is a good example of acting responsibly on behalf of Canadians, and not simply a ploy to save his own skin.  :P
w

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Correct you are Bossa. When Harper was elected she called the election"The biggest waste of taxpayer money". So she is saying that because the Libs didnt win, there shouldnt of have been an election. Now that there is a coup d'etat and her party is trying to overthrow and elected goernment, she wont shut up about it.

Not only that, but she is on a censorship of Getbig kick right now, so be careful that you dont say anything she doesnt like or she will have the mods delete it. Democracy at its best. :-X

24KT

• Getbig V
When Harper was elected she called the election"The biggest waste of taxpayer money". So she is saying that because the Libs didnt win, there shouldnt of have been an election. Now that there is a coup d'etat and her party is trying to overthrow and elected goernment, she wont shut up about it.

It was a waste of money because it changed nothing. There was no need for an election. Calling a snap election contravened the very legislation Harper himself championed. It was done to catch opposition members with their pants down, in a naked attempt to grab a majority. In the end nothing changed. The same PM resided at Sussex with the same minority government, and taxpayers were out $300 million dollars.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
GM Suspends Oshawa Shift, Resulting In 700 Layoffs
Friday December 5, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Close to 700 workers at GM's Oshawa car plant will be out of a job come February as the beleaguered automaker cuts the plant's third shift.

The layoffs are being billed as temporary, according to the Canadian Auto Workers union, but it's not clear how long the affected employees will be off the job. It's the latest blow to the troubled auto industry that's already seen thousands of jobs lost.

The affected line, which builds Impalas at the plant, was already scheduled to be shut down from next week until early January. Employees were told the bad news earlier Thursday evening.

GM Canada so far hasn't commented on the cuts. Oshawa's neighbouring truck plant is already slated to close, which will see 2,600 workers lose their jobs.

Automakers both here and south of the border are appealing to both the Canadian and U.S. governments for big bucks to help them save their industry from going bankrupt. In Canada executives were given a deadline of Friday to present a restructuring plan to the provincial and federal governments. According to one report the head of Chrysler Canada is looking for $1.6 billion in aid from the two levels of government.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, appearing at the opening of a Toyota plant in Woodstock, Ont., said he wouldn't use the recent parliamentary crisis in Ottawa as an excuse for inaction, adding that he'd do whatever he could to save the jobs of 400,000 people in the auto sector here.   

He was referring to the Governor General's decision to prorogue Parliament until late January following a week where Prime Minister Stephen Harper saw his minority government in threat of being toppled by the united Liberals, NDP, and Bloc Quebecois.

Meanwhile, in Washington, the Big Three automakers in Detroit are also presenting a survival plan to Congress. They're asking to be bailed out to the tune of US$34 billion.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
Rae Readies Cross-Country Campaign
To Promote Coalition, Report Suggests

Friday December 5, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

There were rumours over the past week that not all Liberals were on side with the proposed coalition plan that could've seen the minority Conservative government defeated next week.

But one candidate to become the next Liberal leader is reportedly so in favour of the idea he's planning a cross-country campaign to sell Canadians on it. The published report suggests Grit MP Bob Rae intends to talk to voters from one end of the country to the other in an effort to demonstrate why a unified front of Liberals and NDP politicians would be a better choice to run the country than Stephen Harper's party.

The Harper government will survive until at least January after Governor General Michaelle Jean granted the Prime Minister's request to prorogue Parliament until the New Year. However it may only be a temporary reprieve for the governing party. There's a good chance the government may still fall when parties vote on the budget the Conservatives have promised to put out in January.

If that happens, Rae is setting himself up to be the chief salesperson of the proposed coalition government that would see the Bloc Quebecois supporting a government made up of Liberal and NDP MPs.

According to the report Rae interrupted current Liberal Leader Stephane Dion during a closed-door Liberal caucus meeting and accused him of being too conciliatory with Harper.

Dion is on his way out, following a crushing loss in the October 14 election, to be replaced by a new leader in May. Rae and fellow Liberal MP Michael Ignatieff are seen as the two frontrunners for the top job.
w

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Correct you are Bossa. When Harper was elected she called the election"The biggest waste of taxpayer money". So she is saying that because the Libs didnt win, there shouldnt of have been an election. Now that there is a coup d'etat and her party is trying to overthrow and elected goernment, she wont shut up about it.

Not only that, but she is on a censorship of Getbig kick right now, so be careful that you dont say anything she doesnt like or she will have the mods delete it. Democracy at its best. :-X

So am I correct is saying that with her "democratic" beliefs and her "new censorship kick" its actually a suprise she supports the liberals and not Jack Layton and his communist ideals?

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Her censorship kick is strictly ego-driven on her part. She despises anyone who disagrees with her, especially when they show her the door. Remember this is the woman who claimed to have the same IQ as Albert Einstein. Narcissism at its finest. Worst.

24KT

• Getbig V
U.S. Oblivious To Political Crisis In Canada
Friday December 5, 2008
Lee-Anne Goodman, The Canadian Press

James Blanchard, the onetime U.S. ambassador to Canada, once described his adopted land as "the invisible world next door."

American oblivion about its biggest trading partner was evident again this week as scant few Washington power brokers paid any attention to the historic political crisis raging north of the border.

The New York Times, CNN and The Associated Press were among the few news organizations that regularly reported on Prime Minister Stephen Harper's fight for his political life against a hastily convened coalition of opposition parties.

Only in the immediate wake of Thursday's historic decision to prorogue Parliament did the crisis get much attention from the international media, including The Economist, The Christian Science Monitor newspaper and the International Herald Tribune.

"I Googled the word 'Canada' in some U.S. papers and they hadn't even had stories containing the word Canada in three days, never mind stories about the political crisis," David Biette, the director of the Canada Institute at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, said Friday.

An official at the Canadian Embassy was equally mystified that few in Washington seemed to be aware that the Canadian government had been on the brink of being toppled.

"No one seems to have any idea," the official said earlier this week.

In the Washington Post mid-week, an item at the height of the crisis was buried in a collection of foreign news briefs. The paper has run AP copy on its website, but many U.S. newspapers and websites have contained no mention at all of the events.

The Times, on the other hand, gave the story prominent play throughout the week, and the AP has had daily dispatches from Ottawa.

Biette points out that Americans are understandably consumed by their own historic events right now. Barack Obama, the first black man to be elected president in U.S. history, will be sworn in on Jan. 20, and officials in D.C. are busily preparing for the inauguration.

Spectator stands are already being constructed outside the White House and along the inauguration parade route, security details are being worked out, and thousands of D.C. residents are making arrangements to rent out their homes and apartments at top dollar when millions of visitors flood to town for the events.

And Congressional leaders have been preoccupied this week with the plight of the Big Three U.S. automakers. The CEOs of all three companies returned to the capital this week to plead for a financial bailout after coming up with measures aimed at running their businesses more efficiently.

Far from the Beltway and closer to the Canada-U.S. border, some were paying closer attention to their neighbours to the north.

Vermont Public Radio host Mitch Wertlieb had a segment on the drama on Friday, talking to a local political scientist about the chain of events.

"If you're one of those political junkies going through withdrawal now that the U.S. presidential contest is history, you can turn to Canada to get a fix of serious political drama," Wertlieb told his listeners.

But for the most part, Biette said, Americans just aren't following the drama.

"It doesn't affect us, I guess," he said. "Right now it's their family problem, and we'll just wait to see what happens."

The Woodrow Wilson Center established the Canada Institute with the stated purpose of exploring "one of America's most important bilateral relationships, but one that gets far less attention in Washington than it deserves."

Had the government actually fallen, Biette said, a conference of American politicians, scholars and business representatives would have been held at the institute to discuss the crisis.

Biette was in the process of organizing the event when Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean threw Harper a lifeline on Thursday by allowing him to suspend Parliament - a process known as proroguing - until Jan. 26.

"I was getting my ducks in a row if the government had fallen, and you had this rogue group of disparate politicians culled together, many of whom have dissed the U.S. in the past - there certainly would have been some interest here if that had happened," Biette said.

"That would have been quite fascinating because we wouldn't have known here what kind of situation Canada was getting itself into" - and may yet find itself.

Harper has until Jan. 26 to find a way out of the crisis, he added.

"That's six days after the inauguration, and Americans may indeed be paying attention then."

==============================

This reminds me of when Quebec held the sovereignty vote in 1996, and when it was all over, politicians stateside flipped out when they realized how seriously close we came to breaking up as a country. They had no clue what was going on, how serious the situation was, ...and it was happening right under their noses.

w

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
Did anyone read her latest tirade? Probably not?

She's grasping at straws. My God Im laughin here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Proroguing the house was the right thing to do.

The only time that a coalition replaced the government without consent from the party in power was in 1928 aByng got tied up in all sorts of problems and Mackenzie King stripped the Governor General of all most all of their powers.Most constiituion experts before the 2008 thought that it was the wrong move. However the same experts don't like Harper and support it now.

The crown (governor general) represents the people and is supposed to do the will of the people. After this week it would be almost impossible for a coalition to put in place. Especially one that has less seats then the government that is in power.

That is the beautiful thing about living in Canada. The Queens prerogative can be more organic then many people realize.
The outcome on Monday most likely would have lead to an election and this precedence would have been good for the country.

Hopefully now my liberal party can focus on rebuilding. I rally don't ant to see a coalition government in power.
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
Proroguing the house was the right thing to do.

I was hoping against all odds that she wouldn't allow Harper to prorogue, ...but it was a long shot.
When I heard she was cutting short her European trip and coming home, I got even more worried.
I think she was making sure she did everything by the book without making it into a constitutional crisis.
It would have been highly unusual of her NOT to grant Harper's request, but I was hoping the urgency
of the moment would have allowed her to do it. I guess not.  :( (Wishful thinking can be comforting tho)  :)

If she had denied Harper's request, it could have led to a constitutional legal challenge, ...plus her next decision could have been to be call an election... which could also have led to a legal challenge from the opposition, ...especially with a coalition in place and ready to govern. It could have been an absolute mess. The safe move on her part I suppose was to grant Harper's request. Then, if he fails a non confidence motion, ...then consider the possibility of a coalition over an election. All I gotta say is Harper had better produce the goods come January, or it will be a shitstorm up here, ...but our Governor General has covered her tushy just fine, ...thus far.  :P

The only time that a coalition replaced the government without consent from the party in power was in 1928 aByng got tied up in all sorts of problems and Mackenzie King stripped the Governor General of all most all of their powers.Most constiituion experts before the 2008 thought that it was the wrong move. However the same experts don't like Harper and support it now.

Perhaps at the federal level. But this went down in Ontario in 1985 led by then NDP Premier Bob Rae. Frank Miller's Conservatives barely squeaked by to a minority gov. There were only something like 8 seats separating him and Liberal leader David Peterson, with Bob Rae holding the balance of seats. Rae joined with Peterson to topple Miller, and a coalition was allowed to proceed.

The crown (governor general) represents the people and is supposed to do the will of the people. After this week it would be almost impossible for a coalition to put in place. Especially one that has less seats then the government that is in power.

That is the beautiful thing about living in Canada. The Queens prerogative can be more organic then many people realize.
The outcome on Monday most likely would have lead to an election and this precedence would have been good for the country.

I doubt that would have been the case, ...not with a coalition ready to go. She would have had to defer to that, ...especially so soon after an election, ...rather than spend another $300 million of tax payer money, and no action on the economy. If not, you can bet your maple leaf there would have been a legal constitutional challenge issued and that could just get really ugly.

I'm just glad we're Canadians with the ability to accept defeat, disappointment and setbacks with grace.  :) 
In other countries, ...there'd be people running in the streets with guns screaming for a revolution.  ;D

Hopefully now my liberal party can focus on rebuilding. I rally don't ant to see a coalition government in power.

From Your Lips To God's Ears!
w

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
I doubt that would have been the case, ...not with a coalition ready to go. She would have had to defer to that, ...especially so soon after an election, ...rather than spend another $300 million of tax payer money, and no action on the economy. If not, you can bet your maple leaf there would have been a legal constitutional challenge issued and that could just get really ugly.
The way the queens prerogative works ensures that there isn't a constitutional challenge, since she is a fundamental part of the constitution. The only thing the opposition can do is threaten to reopen the constitution and this won't happen.

The governor general almost always sides on caution and that would be another election.The only time this doesn't happen was King Byng, many constitutional experts and historians feel that the wrong decision was made and that there should have been an election.

The conservatives actually asked the lieutenant governor to let the coalition govern in order to avoid an election they would lose. That wasn't the case here.

For what its worth I would rather have 300 million spent on an election then to have coalition that didn't receive a mandate from the people govern.
Z

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
And the guy who started the whole coup d'etat, Stephan Dion, is supposed to be resigning as head of the Liberal party today. Yet they wanted him to lead the country if the coup won? His own party doesnt even want him. LOL!

blinky

• Getbig V
And the guy who started the whole coup d'etat, Stephan Dion, is supposed to be resigning as head of the Liberal party today. Yet they wanted him to lead the country if the coup won? His own party doesnt even want him. LOL!

thats what i was saying...ridiculous

24KT

• Getbig V

Actually, the guy who started it NDP Leader Jack Layton is not resigning. Dion is resigning simply because there is the need to solidify and stabilize the leadership of the liberal party, and all parties concerned feel this is best done sooner rather than later. A coalition has a better chance of succeeding is the leadership of the liberal party were not in question, ...as would the election of a liberal government, were the conservatives to be toppled in the near future.

It was Jack Layton of the NDP who started the coalition. It would have been headed up by the Liberal party simply because they had more votes than any other party in the coalition.

BTW: We've already seen the fallout for the Liberals over this coalition... Jean Charest, leader of the Quebec Liberal party was just re-elected, and this time, the voters of Quebec gave his Liberal government a majority mandate, rather than the minority they were forced to settle with before. Hopefully, Ignatieff will take the helm at the federal level, and voters across Canada will see fit to hand Ignatieff a majority if and when it comes down to an election.
w

24KT

• Getbig V

For what its worth I would rather have 300 million spent on an election then to have coalition that didn't receive a mandate from the people govern.

I'd rather a coalition representing 63% of voters head up the government, and the $300 million be given to me.  :P
w