Author Topic: Is It important to get a pump?  (Read 17036 times)

Bill Loguidice

• Getbig II
Re: Is It important to get a pump?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
Based on the way my body reacts, I always feel some "fullness" in the muscle(s) I've worked, but not always what I would consider a true pump.  I'm one of those people who are often flat or feel flat in my muscles, while other times I'm walking around truly pumped from nothing.  With that in mind, I'd personally say that the pump is not critical to having a great workout, it's just as much a side effect of what's going on in your body at the time as it is the training.  In other words, depending upon what's going on in your body, it really won't matter what you do training wise, as you simply won't get a great pump regardless.  That of course doesn't mean that the muscle has not been broken down from training though and won't grow.  So, I think they're likely two separate things, though of course getting a good pump is always preferred over not getting one.

I think Arnold said once that he could get pumped from swimming, but swimming wasn't going to build his muscles, so you can't go by the pump.  There's probably something to that idea.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 02:20:42 PM »
hell yeah the pump is important.

Hmm...
I remember the days when you would post detailed replies backed by lots of research and quotes from the latest medical journals, abstracts, and sports medicine textbooks...
 ;D

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
It's only fair that if you requests pictures of others that you post one of yourself, don't you think? I've seen you mock others physiques hundreds of times and ask for people to post their pictures, yet you never post one of yourself, why is that?

so do you, so were do you get off breaking his balls...
p

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
so do you, so were do you get off breaking his balls...

No thats just it, I don't make a habit of asking for others pictures or criticizing their physiques or claim I'm a bodybuilding champ etc etc
I might point out that a certain user might have a giant forehead, but thats not bodybuilding related ! :D
Z

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
No thats just it, I don't make a habit of asking for others pictures or criticizing their physiques or claim I'm a bodybuilding champ etc etc
I might point out that a certain user might have a giant forehead, but thats not bodybuilding related ! :D
Ok bluto whatever gets you through the night
p

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »
Say no to the pump - same as with drugs  :D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
Hmm...
I remember the days when you would post detailed replies backed by lots of research and quotes from the latest medical journals, abstracts, and sports medicine textbooks...
 ;D

and now im gonna post a link to a book made by muscletech to promote their supplements

http://www.getbig.com/books/getthepump.htm

:D

no but seriously i find that the pump is essential for growth

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
"The pump is just extra blood flow to the muscle. Just because you pump it, it doesn't mean you are going to create any growth. I can increase blood flow to the area with a 20-pound dumbbell but it's not going to make me grow." - Dorian Yates
Z

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »
i always get a pump, no matter the rep range.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »
if i don't get a pump,or  don't get sore from my workout I wasted my time.

Big L dawg
DAWG

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »
if i don't get a pump,or  don't get sore from my workout I wasted my time.

Big L dawg
I can never remember not getting a pump, even when i used "heavy weight" for lower reps. I don't agree on the soreness. Psychologically, i prefer to be sore but i don't think it's neccesary for growth. My shoulders, biceps never get sore and they are my best bodyparts, while my chest and legs always get sore and they aren't as great.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »
No. A pump is just the temporary accumulation of blood in a local area and it does not effect the assimilation of proteins.

Growth stimulation is like a light switch--you either turn the growth switch on or you don't. Your goal should be a maximum point of intensity.

The pump is an illusion of growth that will cause those same high-volume kids who looked the same last year to look the same next year.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »
No. A pump is just the temporary accumulation of blood in a local area and it does not effect the assimilation of proteins.

Growth stimulation is like a light switch--you either turn the growth switch on or you don't. Your goal should be a maximum point of intensity.

The pump is an illusion of growth that will cause those same high-volume kids who looked the same last year to look the same next year.

every time I use maximum intensity I get a pump so I don't follow
DAWG

Alex23

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
no pump = no growth but pump doesn't necessarily mean growth.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »
every time I use maximum intensity I get a pump so I don't follow

The pump is just a side effect of the intense training, not the thing that actually makes you grow.

The intensity is the actual growth stimulator, not the pump.  ;)

Alex23

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »
The pump is just a side effect of the intense training, not the thing that actually makes you grow.

I disagree. If there is no pump, the right stimulation is not happening.

diet and carb intake affects the level of pump but pump whatsoever will no cause hypertrophy/hyperplasia.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »
I disagree. If there is no pump, the right stimulation is not happening.

diet and carb intake affects the level of pump but pump whatsoever will no cause hypertrophy/hyperplasia.

That's what those kids that look the same way year after year after year think. They pump up, pump up, and pump up but are the exact same size when the pump's gone. That's why it's an illusion that makes you think you're growing. You think you look bigger than last time when you see yourself pumped but the truth is you're only impressed because you're bigger than you were a couple hours ago. Long term, the pump doesn't mean shit.

Bringing up your poundages in the big compound lifts does mean shit, and bringing up those poundages means stimulating muscles to be capable of exerting more intensity. THAT means growth.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:21 PM »
That's what those kids that look the same way year after year after year think. They pump up, pump up, and pump up but are the exact same size when the pump's gone. That's why it's an illusion that makes you think you're growing. You think you look bigger than last time when you see yourself pumped but the truth is you're only impressed because you're bigger than you were a couple hours ago. Long term, the pump doesn't mean shit.

Bringing up your poundages in the big compound lifts does mean shit, and bringing up those poundages means stimulating muscles to be capable of exerting more intensity. THAT means growth.

gotta say bullshit on that one.I know fat fucks that lift serious weight....I also know a couple skinny twits that look like they never seen a gym that lift serious weight as well...when I get a pump I know I'm targeting the right muscle for that particular workout.
DAWG

Alex23

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »

I don't deny that. But if you don't get a pump doing it, you ain't growing.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
gotta say bullshit on that one.I know fat fucks that lift serious weight....I also know a couple skinny twits that look like they never seen a gym that lift serious weight as well...when I get a pump I know I'm targeting the right muscle for that particular workout.

::) Have you heard of a thing called "genetics?"

Different people respond to lifting weights differently. Believe it or not, some will never gain much size no matter what they do, including drugs or strength gains. The people that will get size with any type of lifting will get the most overall size from increasing their poundages in the big lifts.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 03:32:56 AM »
::) Have you heard of a thing called "genetics?"

Different people respond to lifting weights differently. Believe it or not, some will never gain much size no matter what they do, including drugs or strength gains. The people that will get size with any type of lifting will get the most overall size from increasing their poundages in the big lifts.

you just gave a rebutall to your own argument.don't know if your smart enough to figure it out though..
DAWG

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
A good pump can be a  positive by-product of a exercise, but there is no guarantee that increased muscle size will follow. Positive in that it can make you feel you have accomplished something when the muscles become gorged with blood and temporarily larger. But that can fall in the class of a false positive. Standing in front of a mirror and giving the front double bicep pose after endless sets of arm work is, like the mirror it's self, just an illusion.

It is a natural progress to bring the  nourishment's in the  blood to the working area.  When the  blood fills a muscle area to capacity, with a good pump, than there is no more room for any more blood to enter the area. Any more sets, to increase a pump to the muscles, is just a waste of training time. 

iIf you can get a very good pump with 3-4 sets max (which you should), there is no reason to do 10 to 15 more sets for that muscle area. It is like putting a empty glass under a  faucet and running water. You will only get so much water into that glass, the rest will spill over and be wasted.

I am not against the pump, just that it is a part of the whole when the goal is to build muscle size and even strength. It's place of importance should be put into perspective when training. The goal for most anyone is not just to go for the pump it's self in a workout. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Some of my more productive workouts have been with GVT for a 6 to 8 week training cycle. A very good pump is produced, though no the main reason for this type of cycle. Timing of a light pump through out a given training day can also produce  muscle size increases for some. Something like the all day, once an hour light, pumping session for some.  Seems to work well with arms, delt's and calf's.

F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »

That's your interpretation on whether it's a source or biproduct, no one knows. I say that in the absence of certainty it's smart to assume it's vital.

when I get a pump I know I'm targeting the right muscle for that particular workout.
Yup, again smarter, because it's clear confirmation as to what's being hit.

Besides which it's huge psychologically.

Sum all those factors up it's smart to get it each and every time.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 09:56:07 AM »
That's why it's an illusion that makes you think you're growing. You think you look bigger than last time when you see yourself pumped but the truth is you're only impressed because you're bigger than you were a couple hours ago. Long term, the pump doesn't mean shit.

You're assuming that everyone thinks this way when there's no proof of this. The pump seems to be one of several critical factors, there's no way to separate those factors from one another thus it's smarter to include all of them.

Not just about compounds either, that's one of those fallacies that are propogated. Getting stronger on any effective lift, even "finishing" exercises, will induce growth.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 10:18:35 AM »
Why would you need a pump to confirm that a muscle is being hit? If I'm training say calves I don't need no pump to tell me I'm training calves, I kinda figured that out  ::)
Z