Author Topic: Is powerlifting just an excuse for people to be fat?  (Read 4604 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Is powerlifting just an excuse for people to be fat?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »
power lifting is more of a sport then bodybuilding will ever be ;D
Quoted for truth.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Campeon Del Mundo

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
oh man this thread is what i've always wanted to say but was afraid to say it!!!

LOL!!!

The fat guys who can't lose weight and who always want to over eat just do powerlifting.

There's 2 sports that can be practiced in todays health clubs, BB and powerlifting...that's it.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 02:04:52 AM »
BOOOOM

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 02:27:29 AM »
we have afew guys at our gym with guts hanging out and have all the powerlifting gear,bands,squatsuits,bench suits ect.the thing is though,where is it written that to excel at powerlifting you got to have 35% bodyfat with a huge gut?i dont ever remember reading anything about it,its just an excuse to stuff their face imo.i do understand extra weight will give you alittle edge in the sense your joints will have more fluid around them and it can help alittle but who the hell cares how much you can bench or squat when your on the beach,id rather bench 375 and look hard and cut then bench 5 big ones and look like a slob.i guess the powerlifters who get obese dont care much about lookin good but rather playin the strongman of the gym.i rather be tight and watch my diet cause stayin healthy is important to me.to each his own i guess,they are probably laughing at me doing cardio early in the morning,they probably laugh and say while hes eating egg whites and oatmeal later ill be plowin down the home fries,steak and eggs polished off with some apple pie.
R

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 02:33:21 AM »
BOOOOM

rofl...I cant beleive he even submitted those pics and had the gall to think he was the winner ahahahaha

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 03:05:43 AM »
Apart from the superheavyweight classes, you will NEVER find a high-level powerlifter or weightlifter who is fat. The reason being that they need to maximize the amount of muscle and strength within their weight class.

The only guys you might see that are fat, are either the guys in the max weight class (no upper limit on weight) or guys who powerlift in the gym on a non-competitive hobby basis. If you see the physiques at the world powerlifting champs, you will see they are all very hard and lean, with some actually quite close to bodybuilding standards (of course not as proportioned or sculptured etc)

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 03:07:32 AM »
we have afew guys at our gym with guts hanging out and have all the powerlifting gear,bands,squatsuits,bench suits ect.the thing is though,where is it written that to excel at powerlifting you got to have 35% bodyfat with a huge gut?i dont ever remember reading anything about it,its just an excuse to stuff their face imo.i do understand extra weight will give you alittle edge in the sense your joints will have more fluid around them and it can help alittle but who the hell cares how much you can bench or squat when your on the beach,id rather bench 375 and look hard and cut then bench 5 big ones and look like a slob.i guess the powerlifters who get obese dont care much about lookin good but rather playin the strongman of the gym.i rather be tight and watch my diet cause stayin healthy is important to me.to each his own i guess,they are probably laughing at me doing cardio early in the morning,they probably laugh and say while hes eating egg whites and oatmeal later ill be plowin down the home fries,steak and eggs polished off with some apple pie.

Agreed. I can understand them being a bit slack with their diet cause they don't have to be sitting at 5% body fat like bodybuilders onstage. But a lot of them are just plain obese, with bloated faces. Given the frequency of their training and all, they shouldn't be at anymore than a 15 - 20% body fat level. In comparison, the 'average' WSM competitor and even olympic lifters are a lot leaner.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
hahaha bubba you're funny, now go hunting for your penis, can you find it? nope, cuz you're a powerlifter
and you don't know anything about me you moron
Brutal skinny bottom bitch meltdown.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 01:23:01 PM »
Why would you say that?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
TEAM Nasser

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »
Apart from the superheavyweight classes, you will NEVER find a high-level powerlifter or weightlifter who is fat. The reason being that they need to maximize the amount of muscle and strength within their weight class.

The only guys you might see that are fat, are either the guys in the max weight class (no upper limit on weight) or guys who powerlift in the gym on a non-competitive hobby basis. If you see the physiques at the world powerlifting champs, you will see they are all very hard and lean, with some actually quite close to bodybuilding standards (of course not as proportioned or sculptured etc)

The only sensible reply in this thread. congrats.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »
i don't know but i can't understand why somebody would rather lift heavy objects than look halfway decent

E
E

J Grey

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
i don't know but i can't understand why somebody would rather lift heavy objects than look halfway decent

E

because they don't have willpower and can't stop being fat

Danny-Boy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
rofl...I cant beleive he even submitted those pics and had the gall to think he was the winner ahahahaha

Yeah ..the worse part was him thinking that he should have placed higher..I guess momma told him to shoot for the stars

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
A few old school exceptions:

a

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »
What about the bodybuilders who use bodybuilding as an excuse to be fat?

To each his own.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
its pretty hard to get that fat and maintain it in the first place, so yes powerlifting is somewhat an excuse to stuff their faces with junk food.
All in the name to gain strength

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »
i love how everyone points at the SHW class when they talk about powerlifters, as though there's no weight class under that. ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »
i love how everyone points at the SHW class when they talk about powerlifters, as though there's no weight class under that. ::)
Little sensitive, are we today?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 08:32:28 PM »

Those guys aren't powerlifters. Look at them - they are lean.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Not everyone wants to be or needs to be shredded.