Author Topic: Melatonin?  (Read 13520 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Melatonin?
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Whats your thoughts/experience on Melatonin?

Pros/cons ?
Z

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Melatonin?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
It always gave me a headache & left me with a "hungover" feeling.

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »
i take a sublingual version whenever i feel like i'll need some help to fall asleep.. it's cheap and i find it somewhat effective

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »
i take 9 mg with zinc and magnesium every night.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »

what happens then
Z

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »
what happens then
Crazy brain activity in dreams. It's an entertaining night of sleep.
G

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »
Crazy brain activity in dreams. It's an entertaining night of sleep.

We can start a thread down at the Z board where people on zma can tell about their dreams
Z

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
i dont notice any different dreams i just take it cuz it5 makes me go to sleep and if i dont take ity ill lay in bed for an hour or two before i do go to sleep.. plus the melatonin  helps release gh

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
Wow thats quite a dose..
WE cant buy it off the shelf any more , so I asked my doc for a script and he wouldnt give it to me , said it has been linked to neurological problems..I didnt push him for an explanation.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »
at costco i get bottles with 300 3mg tabs for like 6 bucks..

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
My best results have come from Source Natural's timed release sublingual Melatonin spray. I sleep very well on that but the highest I usually go is 3-5 mg. The non -timed release versions tend to wear off in the middle of the night for me. I also take a potent liquid alcohol extract of Kava before bed as well. I had insomnia many years ago pretty bad, but this formula works well. Does increase my dream activity which I like because I'm into something called Lucid Dreaming...but that's another story.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
My best results have come from Source Natural's timed release sublingual Melatonin spray. I sleep very well on that but the highest I usually go is 3-5 mg. The non -timed release versions tend to wear off in the middle of the night for me. I also take a potent liquid alcohol extract of Kava before bed as well. I had insomnia many years ago pretty bad, but this formula works well. Does increase my dream activity which I like because I'm into something called Lucid Dreaming...but that's another story.

What happens when it wears off, do you wake up?
Z

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
What happens when it wears off, do you wake up?

Yeah and I still wake up sometimes on the time release to go take a whizz or something..the difference is I fall back to sleep right away, where on the regular, it might take me longer.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
But there's a downside to it I guess since its not allowed everywhere?
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »
Melatonin's a nice, more moderate alternative to sleeping pills. It's milder, isn't as strong so it doesn't stay in the system as long and doesn't always work but often does.

If taking pills, have to experiment with doses. 3 mg is on the light side but start there, work up to around 6 mg if needed. Liquid melatonin's a little more effective but rarer. Sprays i've never heard of but i suspect are closer to liquid versions.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »

I may be wrong on this but doesn't a "time release" have to be a pill or capsule rather than a spray.  How can you slow the release of a liquid? Know what I mean?  If it works great, it just may not make a difference as opposed to any other spray or sublingual form.

As for lucid dreams I have read about that, where you are aware that you are dreaming.  Have you experienced this?  On some level I'm not sure I'd want to experience that but it sounds kinda cool. 

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
its good stuff...make sure u are in darkness for a bit before bed cuz i heard darkness helps with uptakes of it
w

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
good for sleep

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »
I may be wrong on this but doesn't a "time release" have to be a pill or capsule rather than a spray.  How can you slow the release of a liquid? Know what I mean?  If it works great, it just may not make a difference as opposed to any other spray or sublingual form.

As for lucid dreams I have read about that, where you are aware that you are dreaming.  Have you experienced this?  On some level I'm not sure I'd want to experience that but it sounds kinda cool. 
Here's from Source Naturals PDF File:

The First Timed Release Sublingual
Due to the multi-layered structure of the tiny lipospheres,
nutrients are gradually released for extended
periods of time, maintaining optimal dosage throughout
the day or night. This combined with a faster onset
of the active ingredients – usually within 15 minutes –
makes NUTRASPRAY the most bioavailable delivery system
for nutritional supplements today, and the first
truly timed release sublingual.
 The lipid micro-encapsulation process is based on
years of research in liposomal technology. The result is
NUTRASPRAY, a proprietary system to deliver nutrients
in the most efficient manner. This sublingual oral
spray is a liquid suspension of liposomes, which are
nutrients encased in very complex microscopic lipid
spheres, 1/50th the diameter of a human hair. A highly
purified natural lecithin forms the membrane of
these lipid spheres, which are able to move easily
through the lipid environment surrounding the capillaries
in the mouth. Lipospheres then gradually release their nutrients into bloodstream.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »

Yes, I do it quite often. It is becoming aware that you are dreaming. At the moment of awareness, the dream takes on a much higher level of clarity..picture if you will, a dream in "High Definition". Also, you can taste, smell and feel things almost like in the real world. I have found that it's useful to recite certain goals and affirmations in the Lucid dream state since you can directly program your subconscious mind that way and quickly assume the charateristics of your affirmations. Also you can vividly experience dream sex, dream flying, whatever you want.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 02:21:51 AM »
 :o
Z

conan1071

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 09:09:53 AM »
also try l-theanine, its a precursor to melatonin and also helps with sleep.

a buddy of mine takes melatonin before exercise because its been proven to release growth hormone and no its doesnt make him sleepy because melatonin is activated by darkness for the sleepy part

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »
the dose that would be worth taking is 300mcg that is micrograms. taking 6-9mgs is retarded, it is a hormone and you are functional messing with circadian rthyms, serotonin production etc... Not to mention possibly inducing depression at those doses. The point is to aid in sleep onset and reduce latency. MG ranges are way to high for most people and have some consequences.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
Never tried it - isn't it supposed to make you horny?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
the dose that would be worth taking is 300mcg that is micrograms. taking 6-9mgs is retarded, it is a hormone and you are functional messing with circadian rthyms, serotonin production etc... Not to mention possibly inducing depression at those doses. The point is to aid in sleep onset and reduce latency. MG ranges are way to high for most people and have some consequences.
for real ????