Author Topic: What is the BEST training BOOK for building bigger muscles?  (Read 11150 times)

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
What is the BEST training BOOK for building bigger muscles?
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
In your opinion, what is the absolute, #1 best training book available for muscle building?
Give a couple additional recommendations as well if you think it would be helpful.

Personally, if I could recommend only 1, it would be Beyond Brawn:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Brawn-Insiders-Encyclopedia-Muscle/dp/9963916368/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229817821&sr=1-1

Starting Strength is a very, very close 2nd. I'd actually consider this and Beyond Brawn to be necessities. Get and follow both:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229817958&sr=1-1

If someone didn't have a clear grasp on why it's necessary to do a limited number of volume and movements I'd tell them to read High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Intensity-Training-Mike-Mentzer-Way/dp/0071383301/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229818131&sr=1-1

Now let's hear what books you consider to be "necessities," if you were limited to a couple.  ;)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: What is the BEST training BOOK for building bigger muscles?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »
you don't need no stinkin books....

all you need to do is ask me !

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
you don't need no stinkin books....

all you need to do is ask me !
Yeah I'm sure many of us like to think that way, don't we?  ;)

Books are useful because it is exhausting to attempt to explain absolutely everything to a beginner. Plus, it's sort of a first test on whether or not you really want it bad enough... if you're not willing to put forth the effort to read a book on what you strive for you are not likely to have the level of desire it takes to do what it takes to build the muscles.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »

G

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
"Pitt-Force"  by Karsten Pfützenreuter (but i don´t know if there´s a english version of the book)

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
those are some awesome books soundness. mentzer's high intensity training changed a lot for me in my bodybuilding routine!

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
Body by Science by Doug McGuff and John Little
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
There is one particular book I received around 2 weeks ago, that was just released, and after reading it I now feel compelled to add it to this thread. Body by Science by Doug McGuff and John Little. For any of you interested in HIT, this book makes the strongest case for HIT to date. It is an original and profound contribution to HIT. Here, many concepts are integrated into HIT for the first time in a published book. It is simple to understand, constructive in content, scientifically supported with visual aids to demonstrate the points within. Again, it does the best job at scientifically "proving" HIT to this date. I would write a review of it here, but Drew Baye has done an excellent and thorough job of that. It's best I simply refer you to his review, because I'd for the most part be repeating what he's already said.:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results/dp/0071597174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230939251&sr=1-1

Here is the beginning of Drew Baye's review of the book:

"If you buy only one book on exercise this year, I recommend Doug McGuff, MD and John Little’s Body by Science. If you buy only two books, I recommend getting a second copy of it because you’re going to want to share it with friends, and if you’re a trainer you’re going to want to keep one at work to show clients.

Body by Science explains the how and why of high intensity training, balancing enough scientific background to convey key principles and concepts without overwhelming the lay reader, and practical in-the-gym how-to. It is well organized, well researched, and well written, and an enjoyable and informative read. Every one of its eleven chapters contains a wealth of information, clearly explained with the assistance of numerous graphs and diagrams..."

Read the rest at http://baye.com/review-body-by-science-by-doug-mcguff-md-and-john-little/

Body by Science is a historical and progressive contribution to HIT.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
Where are all the books that tells us how important it is with a pump  ???

Z

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
Triple H "Making the Game." 

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »
Where are all the books that tells us how important it is with a pump  ???
A few years ago Flex unexpectedly sent me this book for free, titled GET THE PUMP: The Last Word in Bodybuilding. It makes the argument that the pump is what builds muscle afterall. That, we've spent all this time trying to figure out exactly what about lifting builds muscle, and it turns out it's precisely the pump! It lists a number of pro's as the authors, was highly visual, and explained all the underlying mechanisms that allow the pump to build muscle. As I recall it was like one long, long ad for the pump that lacked any scientific references.

I'll look for it and read through it again to see if they do cite studies, but I remember thinking it was bullshit and was simply a tool to convince people that the pump was what builds muscle, in order to encourage them to buy supplements that supposedly increase the pump. There are even supplements featured in this book(!).  ::) I believe it was right after NO2 came out and that entire NO movement began. Either way, it's entertaining and very visual. The content is very sketchy though, commercially driven, and as I recall it lacks scientific support. I believe it's one big lie to sell products. You can buy it used for cheap.:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=GET+THE+PUMP&x=8&y=20

Here's an article about it, right here from our very own Getbig, written back in 2005.:
http://www.getbig.com/books/getthepump.htm

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
I remember the first time I ever worked out at a gym.  I got such an amazing pump it felt like my arms were going to burst.  It's hard to even come close to that now. 

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »
Unleashing the Wild Physique by Vince Gironda.  Awesome read.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 12:54:57 AM »
"pushing for power" from bill seno.
"beyond bodybuilding" from pavel tsatsouline.
asstropin

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »
Here's an article about it, right here from our very own Getbig, written back in 2005.:
http://www.getbig.com/books/getthepump.htm

"This book represents the culmination of over 100 years of bodybuilding knowledge and know how. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading it, and will come to refer to it from time to time as your bodybuilding goals change. This book would not have been possible were it not for Iovate Health Services, who sponsored and generously paid for all costs involved in its development, and the dedicated Iovate researchers, who worked with the authors in developing the contest. In this book, you will see products promoted. Feel free to investigate them further if you are interested, since knowledge is power. If you do use a supplement, make sure you read the label carefully and follow its instructions. It is also advisable to consult a physician before beginning any diet or exercise program, including those contained in this book. ."

I'm not sure which is more humorous, the paragraph above, or the fact that somebody is trying to sell this thing for 100 bucks on Amazon.com.

Soundness

• Getbig IV
  • "Shootin' the shit..."
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »
"This book represents the culmination of over 100 years of bodybuilding knowledge and know how. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading it, and will come to refer to it from time to time as your bodybuilding goals change. This book would not have been possible were it not for Iovate Health Services, who sponsored and generously paid for all costs involved in its development, and the dedicated Iovate researchers, who worked with the authors in developing the contest. In this book, you will see products promoted. Feel free to investigate them further if you are interested, since knowledge is power. If you do use a supplement, make sure you read the label carefully and follow its instructions. It is also advisable to consult a physician before beginning any diet or exercise program, including those contained in this book. ."

I'm not sure which is more humorous, the paragraph above, or the fact that somebody is trying to sell this thing for 100 bucks on Amazon.com.

I agree completely.

Get the Pump is by far the worst bodybuilding "book" (if you can even call it that) I've ever come across.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »
This is always an old standby, purely because it has every damn exercise ever invented:

This is also a good one, not necessarily for bigger muscles, but for moving more weight:

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
This is always an old standby, purely because it has every damn exercise ever invented:

That's also good if you dont have any weights, you can use the book
Z

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »
I just posted this on the positive board but I have been reading this book and its great

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1287

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
The Yellow Pages. To find the best heavy duty gym in your area and start training with serious intent..finally. Good Luck.
F

gooer

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »

[/img]

bump arnold book is the best i've read the entire thing like 11 times.

i'd also recommend:

Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon Colker MD

Training for Mass by Gordon Lavelle

Brother Iron Sister Steel by Dave Draper

All of those were worth checking out for a different perspective on muscle building but overall the Arnold book is the greatest.

jorgen

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »
Brawn by Stuart McRobert (the 240 page edition) is the best book I have read for bodybuilding/strength training.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »
bump arnold book is the best i've read the entire thing like 11 times.

i'd also recommend:

Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon Colker MD
Training for Mass by Gordon Lavelle

Brother Iron Sister Steel by Dave Draper

All of those were worth checking out for a different perspective on muscle building but overall the Arnold book is the greatest.

This is an excellent book - it's got more information about nutrition than training but I've read it several times and I recommend it to anyone.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
dorian yates 1st book totaly changed my physique and most of the lads in my country.......... blood and guts!!!!!!!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
All these answers are WRONG. 

Bodybuilding is an individual pursuit and you write your own book over the years through trial and error. if you are smart enough to think for yourself

Nutrition is a different matter altogether. evryone should read a couple of books on sports specific nutrition,just to get the basics. but even then you gotta figure out what works best for you.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
All these answers are WRONG. 

Bodybuilding is an individual pursuit and you write your own book over the years through trial and error. if you are smart enough to think for yourself

Nutrition is a different matter altogether. evryone should read a couple of books on sports specific nutrition,just to get the basics. but even then you gotta figure out what works best for you.

Very true.