Author Topic: Detroit Lions: Can they do it??  (Read 3678 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Detroit Lions: Can they do it??
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »

Survey says: "Uh, yeah."   ::)

Losers.

body88

Re: Detroit Lions: Can they do it??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
The lions need to throw whatever it takes at Pioli, Matt Cassel and Josh Mcdaniels.  Although I dont think Pioli will leaev Belichick.  They can get Cassel.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
The lions need to throw whatever it takes at Pioli, Matt Cassel and Josh Mcdaniels.  Although I dont think Pioli will leaev Belichick.  They can get Cassel.

Do you think the Jets will make a big play for Cassel? That sure would make the AFC East super fun to watch...

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
just there bad luck...reggie bush didnt play today.
Oh...Monica!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
they want to lose all their games so they can get Sam Bradford in the draft.

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
they want to lose all their games so they can get Sam Bradford in the draft.

another system dependent qb = nfl flop
Oh...Monica!

body88

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »
Do you think the Jets will make a big play for Cassel? That sure would make the AFC East super fun to watch...

I don't know.  I think after todays loss Magini is going to get canned.  If the pats win next week the win the AFC east with 14 players on ir.  The Jets can not fire the guy.

Cassel will be the hottest FA this year.  I don't think he would go to the jets.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:39 PM »
Falcons make the playoffs.

Lions will draft Stafford if he leaves early.
U

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
I don't know.  I think after todays loss Magini is going to get canned.  If the pats win next week the win the AFC east with 14 players on ir.  The Jets can not fire the guy.

Cassel will be the hottest FA this year.  I don't think he would go to the jets.

proves it's all system in new england.  a walk on can lead that team.
Oh...Monica!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »

I don't see Mangini getting fired.  The Jets have had a great season compared to last year. 

body88

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
proves it's all system in new england.  a walk on can lead that team.

I don't agree at all.  Cassel has grown into what he has become.  Cassel was not a walk on btw.  Further more,  Drew Bledsoe was poor in the Belichick system, and he was a first round pick.  Cassel is a very good player. 

body88

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »
I don't see Mangini getting fired.  The Jets have had a great season compared to last year. 

I do.  They had a great season his first year, they stunk last year, and his coaching blunders might keep them out of the playoffs this year.  Most of my friends in NYC hate the guy.  We will see what happens though.  When he was in NE, he had his coaching authority stripped from him several times for performing badly

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:35:15 PM »

I do.  They had a great season his first year, they stunk last year, and his coaching blunders might keep them out of the playoffs this year.  Most of my friends in NYC hate the guy.  We will see what happens though.  When he was in NE, he had his coaching authority stripped from him several times for performing badly

Really? I think with the talent level they have he has done a decent job, and they are headed in the right direction.  He's not a great x/o guy, but neither are a lot of head coaches in the NFL.  NY fans are typically delusional.  I'm sure after the Giants won, Jets fans are even more irritated.  I look at Carolina.  They could have run Fox out of town, but didn't and now its paying off.

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »
I don't agree at all.  Cassel was bad for his first five games.  Cassel was not a walk on btw.

it's not like he started alot of college games.  all system in denver too...as far as rbs.

the king kong of system benefactors.

Oh...Monica!

body88

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »
Really? I think with the talent level they have he has done a decent job, and they are headed in the right direction.  He's not a great x/o guy, but neither are a lot of head coaches in the NFL.  NY fans are typically delusional.  I'm sure after the Giants won, Jets fans are even more irritated.  I look at Carolina.  They could have run Fox out of town, but didn't and now its paying off.

I think your point about talent may be the reason Mangini is fired.  Last year they didn't have the talent, then they went out and spent a shitload on top level players.  However, since the Titans game, the Jets have gone from 8-3 - 9-7.  Today Mangini made several very poor coaching decision that might have cost them a playoff spot.  If NE can win the east with 14 players on ir and Brady out, the Jets will fire Mangini and go after Cowher, imo.

One thing Mangini has done a good job at is drafting players (aside from Gholston) who I liked in college, btw.

Lastly, your point about NY fans is a good ones.  Thats the problem with Mangini, he has been making bonehead mistakes, and the fans are going crazy.

body88

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
it's not like he started alot of college games.  all system in denver too...as far as rbs.

the king kong of system benefactors.

Good point, but he has been a patriot for over 4 years taking reps and learning.  System qb's don't have the type of numbers Cassel does.  Every team has a system anyway.  Also, Cassel was stuck behind Carson Palmer at USC and Tom Brady in NE. 

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »

Lastly, your point about NY fans is a good ones.  Thats the problem with Mangini, he has been making bonehead mistakes, and the fans are going crazy.

That's New York for ya. :-\ :-\

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
I think your point about talent may be the reason Mangini is fired.  Last year they didn't have the talent, then they went out and spent a shitload on top level players.  However, since the Titans game, the Jets have gone from 8-3 - 9-7.  Today Mangini made several very poor coaching decision that might have cost them a playoff spot.  If NE can win the east with 14 players on ir and Brady out, the Jets will fire Mangini and go after Cowher, imo.

One thing Mangini has done a good job at is drafting players (aside from Gholston) who I liked in college, btw.

True.  They have tightened up the defense, especially the middle.  I didn't see the game today, so I can't comment on the decisions in the game.  It's tough to compare anybody to NE.  They are run so well.  I don't think it's a case of plugging anybody into a system, but rather they evaluate who would fit their system perfectly.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »

Booo at the FOX guys - pussies.

Rob Parker pwnt the piss out of Rod Marinelli when he asked "Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?" and it was funny as hell. 

But Strahan, Long, Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson all called the reporter a prick and said HE should be fired.

Now, I think Parker is generally a knucklehead, but don't hate on a brotha for tellin' it like it is just because you wanna protect your boys in the coaching fraternity.

body88

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »
True.  They have tightened up the defense, especially the middle.  I didn't see the game today, so I can't comment on the decisions in the game.  It's tough to compare anybody to NE.  They are run so well.  I don't think it's a case of plugging anybody into a system, but rather they evaluate who would fit their system perfectly.

I like David Harris.  Also, the Jets did a great job with Mangold.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
I saw the video of the press conference - pretty funny
U

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
I saw the video of the press conference - pretty funny

Exactly.

If you don't want your family getting picked on, then don't give - and keep them in - jobs that they're clearly not qualified for.

You put them in that position and then they become fair game, period.

body88

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
Booo at the FOX guys - pussies.

Rob Parker pwnt the piss out of Rod Marinelli when he asked "Do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?" and it was funny as hell. 

But Strahan, Long, Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson all called the reporter a prick and said HE should be fired.

Now, I think Parker is generally a knucklehead, but don't hate on a brotha for tellin' it like it is just because you wanna protect your boys in the coaching fraternity.

Ha-ha

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
The Lions need to completely clean house,  get rid of everyone.  I'm more embarassed about being from Detroit because of the Lions,  not the crime rates.

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 05:06:59 AM »
The Lions need to completely clean house,  get rid of everyone.  I'm more embarassed about being from Detroit because of the Lions,  not the crime rates.

in the old boys club called the nfl.  it's not going to happen.   
Oh...Monica!