Author Topic: was Paul Anderson NATURAL?????????  (Read 27884 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: was Paul Anderson NATURAL?????????
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
that testosterone proprionate was mentioned by name in a bodybuilding mag in 1938 makes it pretty hard to say that there was NO drug use in weightlifting or bodybuilding for another 20 years.

It's mentioned  by it's self NO mentions of anyone using it big difference , again you're trying to connect the dots a mention in a magazine doesn't mean guys were using it there is simply NO history in the United States at least of anyone using any type of testosterone based performance enhancing drugs until Ziegler in the late 1950s

Don't you think anyone would have come out of the wood work by now? especially if it worked back then hard to keep that a secret in the strength community , physiques really didn't change and did the totals really change either? until the advent of dianbol

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2009, 06:03:05 AM »
Reeves said out right he never did them many times , Park maybe but later on .

Yes, many have denied or admonished past use/abuse.

Sergio did a little deca, Pearl and Scott only did 5 or 10mg dbol for a few weeks, many were clean their whole careers, making huge transformations in weeks. Reeves has been debated at length in the History board, he was obviously tremendously genetically gifted, as shown by his physique at very young age.

I think its a personal choice to believe it, much like Ronnie used to claim to be clean, Mike Ashley too. Even Priest only did a little deca pre-contest.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
 :o

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
As to whether Paul Anderson was natural or not...
Did he ever deny taking steroids?

Paul told me during a phone conversation on February 2, 1990, when I had asked him point-blank, he replied: : 'Steroids- I never did take them'. This was in response to me very directly asking him if what he was saying was that he had in fact never used, not even once.

So yes, he denied it to me.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »

Paul told me during a phone conversation on February 2, 1990, when I had asked him point-blank, he replied: : 'Steroids- I never did take them'. This was in response to me very directly asking him if what he was saying was that he had in fact never used, not even once.

So yes, he denied it to me.

Joe you believe him?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
 ;)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »
i didnt read the whole thread, but Paul Anderson did say one time that he hated every squat he's ever done. He really hated that exercise but he was still damn good at it.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »
Joe you believe him?

In a phone conversation with Doug Hepburn in 1989, Doug told me he suspected Paul had been using in 1953, when both he and Paul worked out together bench pressing. I am aware of a tape in which another famous powerlifter asserts Paul used. This tape has not been made public.

Doug suspecting that Paul used is not proof that Paul used.

Paul denying he used (to me) is not proof that he did not use.

Frankly, I do not have enough evidence to assert anything on either side of the issue.

There are several aspects regarding Paul's backlift which cannot be proved by what has been offered as proof. Indeed, that very proof has been shown to be, shall we say, severely wanting...and in two aspects, contrary to reality. So, in this sense, just because some 'evidence' comes from the Anderson camp does not mean that it should go unchallenged. Actually that is true no matter what the source of evidence- always check it.

But in regards to steroids, I simply do not know. I have my suspicions, but I prefer to keep them private because I cannot prove them.

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
test

Mr Roark,has anyone connected to the weightlifting and bodybuilding scene ever implied or outright admitted to the use of testosterone for performance enhancing purposes in America before the introduction of methandrostenolone ?

It does seem that the hormone was not difficult to acquire with or without prescription...

'Interest in testosterone was strong enough to prompt the American Medical Association to advise that "these substances ought to be kept out of vitamin pills."'
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10077/10077.intro.php

The FDA was delighted that federal courts have barred two Los Angeles firms from peddling hormones without prescription.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,890180,00.html

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2009, 12:38:51 PM »
Mr Roark,has anyone connected to the weightlifting and bodybuilding scene ever implied or outright admitted to the use of testosterone for performance enhancing purposes in America before the introduction of methandrostenolone ?

It does seem that the hormone was not difficult to acquire with or without prescription...

'Interest in testosterone was strong enough to prompt the American Medical Association to advise that "these substances ought to be kept out of vitamin pills."'
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10077/10077.intro.php

The FDA was delighted that federal courts have barred two Los Angeles firms from peddling hormones without prescription.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,890180,00.html

Sorry, I am ignorant of the answer to your question.
But I do know who Fred Rollon was ;)

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
Sorry, I am ignorant of the answer to your question.

The fact that Doug Hepburn thought that Anderson was taking testosterone is very suggestive.

I wonder,did he say that he suspected that Anderson was taking test at the time or did he say that he thought that Anderson was on something,many years later,with the benefit of hindsight?

But as NarcissisticDeity has stated there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence beyond(what I personally feel to be) an increase in levels of muscularity shown by some bodybuilders during the late forties and fifties...

But I do know who Fred Rollon was ;)

Yes,well spotted.
That isn't my real name.  ;D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
In a phone conversation with Doug Hepburn in 1989, Doug told me he suspected Paul had been using in 1953,

I wonder what was happening in 1953.  Competitions photos of Reeves prior to 53, he doesn't look juiced.  Later movie photos of Reeves, he certainly doesn't look like he's juiced.  But there are photos of Reeves and Eiferman from 53 (that I saw in someone's private collection) where they both look very juiced.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

If you type in "Isometrics or Steroids" into Google, you'll find a long article(24 pages) by John D. Fair for the Iron Game History newsletter.

In it he details Zeigler's experiments with steroids including injectable testosterone starting in 1952 using John Grimek and Jim Park as test subjects and moving on from there.

Quite a good read(as is all of the Iron Game History stuff). It is taken directly from Fair's interviews with Grimek, Reicke, Zeigler, etc... or from their personal journals/papers.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
I wonder what was happening in 1953.  Competitions photos of Reeves prior to 53, he doesn't look juiced.  Later movie photos of Reeves, he certainly doesn't look like he's juiced.  But there are photos of Reeves and Eiferman from 53 (that I saw in someone's private collection) where they both look very juiced.

Any of those pics available?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »
Steroids didnt make Park, Reeves nor Anserson.

Anderson probably didnt use, maybe he did? Who knows...

Park and Reeves though, the way these guys stepped up a gear, and they held their shape for movies later in life, makes you wonder.

Grimek, I dont know much about.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »
Steroids didnt make Park, Reeves nor Anserson.

Anderson probably didnt use, maybe he did? Who knows...

Park and Reeves though, the way these guys stepped up a gear, and they held their shape for movies later in life, makes you wonder.

Grimek, I dont know much about.

Reeves absolutely not the guy retired in 1950 at the age of 24 and when he did movies he was smaller , Park maybe later in the 60s

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
Reeves absolutely not the guy retired in 1950 at the age of 24 and when he did movies he was smaller , Park maybe later in the 60s

He was smaller yes, but still very muscular, who knows?
I cant prove shit. Even if any of these gents were alive, I doubt they would admit it.
Park still very big at an older age.
I met him few yrs before his passing, a bit stooped due to age, but tall and very big frame still evident. Appeared to be a good gentleman. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »
He was smaller yes, but still very muscular, who knows?
I cant prove shit. Even if any of these gents were alive, I doubt they would admit it.
Park still very big at an older age.
I met him few yrs before his passing, a bit stooped due to age, but tall and very big frame still evident. Appeared to be a good gentleman. 

Most guys did or do admit they took , Reeves went above & beyond to admonish steroid use there would be no reason to lie , especially from him he's a no nonsense type of guy very direct & honest if he used he'd say , Reeve was 215 at his competitive weight in the movies he went as low as 187 pounds , directors didn't want him to dwarf his co-stars

Arnold admitted , Pearl did I mean back then there would be no reason to lie they weren't illegal

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Pearl did I mean back then there would be no reason to lie they weren't illegal

Pearl said he did a little dbol once before a show. There was no reason to lie then, guys used to take dbol by the handful in the gym, but once health and legal issues came up, they all made a u-turn.
Sergio also only did a little deca...

They ALL lie.

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »
Reg Park no doubt in my mind took AAS.
I mean....  :)

With respect to Steve Reeves,who knows?   ???

BTW here is an earlier getbig thread on Paul Anderson,his feats and possible test use....
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=65340.0

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
my Lord!!!!!! look at the fuccking huge size and mass of the guy on the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he must be 188 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o ;D

Now now, don't be jealous  ::)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
 Calvin Trillin, U. S. Journal, “WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN,” The New Yorker, February 1, 1969, p. 38
Read the full text of this article. (Registration required.)
February 1, 1969 Issue

Keywords
    Anderson, Paul;
    Athletes;
    Dickey, James;
    Georgia;
    Marion College;
    Olympic Games;
    Vidalia, Georgia

ABSTRACT: U.S. JOURNAL: ON THE CIRCUIT about Paul Anderson, World's Strongest Man. He lives in Vidalia, Georgia, about 170 miles from Atlanta. He is 5'10" & weighs about 375 pounds. He was in amateur competition for only a couple of years, during which time he won the heavyweight weight-lifting championship at the 1956 Olympic Games. He gave up his amateur standing in 1956. In recent years he has been making personal appearances, mostly at colleges & churches; occasionally he does a television commercial. He estimates he makes about 500 appearances a year. In Vidalia, he presides over the Paul Anderson Youth Home. He donates all his earnings, about $40,000 yearly, to the home, which pays his living expenses and a stipend of $200 a month. The home provides a real home for teen-agers who would otherwise have to go to a reformatory or merely have no other home. In Vidalia he and his wife & child, two other couples who work for the home, and 15 or so teen-age boys live together like a well-provided-for family. Anderson is a Methodist, who believes if you project Christ, the social problems take care of themselves. He is critical of church groups that have supported civil-rights workers. He is a believer in respectable appearance & respect for authority, and particularly love of country. Tells about his engagement at Marion College, about 80 miles from Indianapolis. He did weight lifting, gave a talk, & read some of his poetry, which is quoted.

/sorry, my scanner has been out for years, but even if it worked - it's 9 pages! 

add: just recognized the name james dickey in the above citation. he's an amazing dude:poet laureate + the guy who wrote deliverance!!! seminal book: superb movie! any dis-agreers?  >:(

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2009, 12:58:36 AM »
Bill Pearl admitted to using Nilevar. 

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:07 AM »
I love the iron sports and it kills me that it has been turned into a sub culture that is laughed at by the general public.  You can find billiards on ESPN but not a bodybuilding show.  

I think most of the hardcore fans and competitors feel this way. We want the best for a sport that we have a passion for.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »
Bill Pearl admitted to using Nilevar. 

Apparently Arthur Jones had him on it for massive gains in the  50's. Oral Deca, or something ???

Has Pearl actually admitted it?

What was Jones' compound/biz built on? Where did this guy get the cash to be running experiments on bbers as a hobby?