Author Topic: torn hamstring - any advice  (Read 4462 times)

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
torn hamstring - any advice
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:19:51 AM »
About 2 years ago, I tore my left hamstring doing stiff legged deads.   >:( It took me a long time to recover, likely because I did not properly rehab it.  Today, I tore my right hamstring on the same exercise.   ::) There wasn't as much pain as the first time but the distinctive pop was heard and I anticipate some severe pain starting tomorrow.  Hopefully I didn't tear it as badly as the other. 

Any advice on what I should be doing to properly rehab it?  Ice, rest, what's the proper protocol?  Thanks.

The Coach

Re: torn hamstring - any advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
Please move this to the injury board and will be happy to help or.........

www.joelocalpt.com

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
How common are torn hamstrings?  Man I don't want one....  :-X
S

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »
First though: did you overstretch too much on the SLDL's. Like standing on a box or bench, with a respectable weight, trying for a full stretch with a rounded back? Actually you would only need to go as far down as a pair of '45's allow for full advantage of this exercise. Mistake a lot of trainee's make. Probably favored you good leg/hamstring over the left one resulting with too much pressure/force on the good one. Happens all the time to athletes.

One reason why the Romanian DL's is a great exercise is  because of keeping the back somewhat flat, with a slight knee bend, shoulders back and the head up. And only going down as far as those '45's allow you.

Please see a doctor and get professional advice as to how serious your injury might be. Treatment and rehab may only require complete rest, but you do not know that now. Get the correct protocol from a medical/sports professional. Can be serious stuff when hamstrings are involved. Seen dozens of hamstring injuries, some slight and some very serious. All require special medical attention, in one way or another .Good Luck.
F

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
I suggest doing stiffed legged deadlifts.

Because, from what can understand, you may have a quad/hamstring inbalance - the quads being much stronger and thus the hamstrings tearing. Very common among sprinters.

And not any of those "stiffed legged deadlifts" of 500 +lbs that some people claim at times.

Use anywhere between 135-220 lbs and try to only use the hamstrings when pulling.

I like to think of it being similar as stretching towards the toes with your fingertips, but this time you're holding a barbell and keeping the legs slightly bent but stiff.

Just my opinion though.
As empty as paradise

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »
ive done this too,,,,, on regular deadlifts,,,,,,,, u realy do need to see a physio, if you dont have regular sports massage and utra sound to help healing it will only happen again..... somthing youve got to do is get flexable when your recoverd, sprinters stretches and the likes