Author Topic: Incline Press & Military ROM  (Read 6081 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Incline Press & Military ROM
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
i dont really think my triceps are doing any work at all (maybe very slight contractions just for stabilizaqtion but no actual work) in the botom part of the rep, on becnh or presses.

cap- didnt think about that. probably true.
Yeah man.  I see guys always bitching about injuries doing heavy half reps.  One guy does shitty clean curls and has a torn bicep.  Nothing is 100% preventable but I think if you always do partials and never work the full ROM that it can cause problems.

One exercise, that I think JPM mentioned, that I saw my football buddies do was 1.5 rep bench presses.  1 full rep, followed by the bottom half.  They'd do sets of 3-10 which actually totals 6-20 reps.  I never tried it but it's cool to watch.  They handle some decent weight on it.
Squishy face retard

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »
i dont really think my triceps are doing any work at all (maybe very slight contractions just for stabilizaqtion but no actual work) in the botom part of the rep, on becnh or presses.

Good point. If you keep the angle of your upper and lower arm straight, the triceps are basically just acting as stabilisers. The bench press is different. If the triceps only acted as stabilisers, it would be a flye.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Yeah man.  I see guys always bitching about injuries doing heavy half reps.  One guy does shitty clean curls and has a torn bicep.  Nothing is 100% preventable but I think if you always do partials and never work the full ROM that it can cause problems.

One exercise, that I think JPM mentioned, that I saw my football buddies do was 1.5 rep bench presses.  1 full rep, followed by the bottom half.  They'd do sets of 3-10 which actually totals 6-20 reps.  I never tried it but it's cool to watch.  They handle some decent weight on it.
the thing is that i actually rarely do presses. i like rear delts laterals (various types - free wight and machien) and front raises and upright rows.  so as far as that goes, i think ill be okay, since i rarely do those ayways.

the bench thing does sound fun, ill try it out.

goneaway - i thought about, your right the tri's will be at least contracting to push the weight up some, however i still think it will be of minimal consequence.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 08:29:59 PM »
the thing is that i actually rarely do presses. i like rear delts laterals (various types - free wight and machien) and front raises and upright rows.  so as far as that goes, i think ill be okay, since i rarely do those ayways.

the bench thing does sound fun, ill try it out.

goneaway - i thought about, your right the tri's will be at least contracting to push the weight up some, however i still think it will be of minimal consequence.
You should be fine then.  I never really see anything but full ROM on the exercises you mentioned. 
Squishy face retard

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 08:37:04 PM »
In the end, doing partial reps means you can use more weight. Some exercises - when focusing on a particular part of the ROM - have been all-but proven successful in developing the specific part of the muscle that the ROM focuses on. If you focus on the lower half of bench press, you'll develop a wide chest, but likely have fairly flat inner pecs. If you focus on the top half of the biceps curl, you'll likely get peaked biceps but lose fullness down the arm to the elbow. How it relates to shoulder presses, I have no clue.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
Partial reps WILL lead to injury if thats all you do. Your flexibility goes down and soon you will push past where you have become "comfortable" and RIPPP! I have done it myself.

That being said, I cannot get the bar to touch my shoulders AT ALL. The bar stops right under my chin.  :-\

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
hmmm i had seen a vid of chris chormier pressing 405 on incline, but he stops before his chin, not full but looks clean though......

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
Incline press - 1-2 inch from my chest, any lower doesn't feel comfortable at all.  By this point my pecs are stretched out anyway, so I don't feel the need to go any lower.

Military press - Down to about nose level.  I get an uncomfortable clicking in my shoulder joint if I go any lower (I get the same clicking in side laterals and upright rows?)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
same here.

i can only go but so low with the incline BB but i can go lower on the DB incline, so i barely ever BB inclines anymore unless i am trying to change it up.

again with the military press i can only go to my chin or slightly above before my shoulders start to feel uncomfortable, so again i prefer to use DBs. i also like to use the machine and the hammer strength for shoulder presses.