Author Topic: Where will Cassel end up?  (Read 3914 times)

body88

Where will Cassel end up?
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:00:50 AM »
He will be franchised by the Patriots soon.  After an 11-5 season and proving that he can win in the NFL, I believe that he will be the hottest FA target this year.  I don't expect the pats to make a move until draft day, but you never know.  They have to be careful how they do things, because the tag and trade is frowned on by the CBA.  They might have him start the first three or four games then trade him, or they might do it right before the season when Brady "makes up lots of ground with his injury ::)".

08 numbers:

6 Peyton Manning  IND  QB  371  555  66.8  34.7  4,002  7.2  250.1  27  12  210  37.8  75  40  7  14  95.0 
7 Donovan McNabb  PHI  QB  345  571  60.4  35.7  3,916  6.9  244.8  23  11  196  34.3  90T  52  11  23  86.4 
8 Matt Cassel  NE  QB  327  516  63.4  32.2  3,693  7.2  230.8  21  11  182  35.3  76T  37  6  47  89.4 

I know that the bucs are 49 million under the cap.  The Lions, KC (they are going after Pioli), the Niners, the Bears, the Vikes, the Jets (won't happen) and the Dolphins could all go after Cassel.  If the Lions were smart, they would trade their second rounder to the pats for Cassel, throw a bank at Scott Pioli and use their first round one pick on the best DT in the draft....then trade off their second round 1 pick for a high second and also extra picks. From there they get the best OT or G available and go defense the rest of the way with all their picks. No skill position players before round 4.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Where will Cassel end up?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »
Bears will not  go after him... Guranteed.

body88

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:07:31 AM »
Bears will not  go after him... Guranteed.

They should, the kid the have now is not the answer.  You're right though, they love to have bad qb's.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »
They should, the kid the have now is not the answer.  You're right though, they love to have bad qb's.

I wouldn't even say bad QB's.. The last 20 years they have not had a qb. I think that Orton can become a decent QB. I don't think he is a superstar, but I am okay as a diehard fan with keeping him on the field.

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:11:41 AM »
espn reports they are going to franchise tag him to keep him another year just in case Brady is not ready to go

body88

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
espn reports they are going to franchise tag him to keep him another year just in case Brady is not ready to go

They have to say that either way (due to the CBA rules).  They are keeping Cassel in case of Brady's late return, but they are going to tag and trade him.  That's the real reason they franchised him.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »
Can't Cassel refuse the franchise tag and become a FA if he wishes?
Y

body88

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
Can't Cassel refuse the franchise tag and become a FA if he wishes?

No, he can refuse the tag, get tagged and then sit out for a year (in which he will still get 14 million bucks).  There is no way he would do that.  He knows what the pats did in drafting him when he had never thrown a pass in college.  The pats are going to tag him, trade him and the 14 million will be dumped into Cassels singing bonus for a long term deal with whatever suitor that makes a play for him.  Cassel has a great relashonship with the franchise and in interviews he has said that he would help the team when he could.

Rumors have the pats and Cassels agent working on trade scenarios.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
Got it.

I think your scenario makes total sense then.
Y

body88

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
Got it.

I think your scenario makes total sense then.

Also, I don't think the pats will know if Brady will be 100% healthy until May, so this is the right thing to do from an insurance standpoint.  If the pats can pull this off that would be epic.  They pick 24th, they have two second round picks, two third round picks, a 4th, 5th, two sixths and a seventh this year.  To get a second first rounder, or a third second rounder for Cassel would be huge.  They had a huge draft this year and will have some cash peeling off the books for 09.  They have quilty been rebuilding the defense (Mayo (DROTY winner), Guyton, Wheatley, Wilhite, Meriweather and Crable over the last year, and I think one more solid draft would set them up for a long time.

Imo, in this years draft they should go

#1 LB/TE
#2 OT/DT/LB
#3 CB/RB
#4 CB
#5 WR
#6 WR/DT
#7 OT

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Also, I don't think the pats will know if Brady will be 100% healthy until May, so this is the right thing to do from an insurance standpoint.  If the pats can pull this off that would be epic.  They pick 24th, they have two second round picks, two third round picks, a 4th, 5th, two sixths and a seventh this year.  To get a second first rounder, or a third second rounder for Cassel would be huge.  They hadf a huge draft this year, and another one would put them over the top imo.
NFL network reported a week ago that Brady had an infection in his knee that could set him back till half way through the season...
then ESPN reported everything was fine and he was on schedule...

We won't know the truth until the season starts It will be interesting he will be wanted by many teams and the Pats should if trade him get a good return.

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
NFL network reported a week ago that Brady had an infection in his knee that could set him back till half way through the season...
then ESPN reported everything was fine and he was on schedule...

We won't know the truth until the season starts It will be interesting he will be wanted by many teams and the Pats should if trade him get a good return.

Tom Curran from the Globe reported what you are talking about and he has very good sources.  Then Peter King reported the opposite ( he also has good sources).  You're right, we wont know for sure until at least May.  That said, this story could have been floated so the CBA would not get all pissed off at a tag and trade.  ESPN picked up both the stories I just outlined and sensationalized them.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:46:48 PM »
Also, I don't think the pats will know if Brady will be 100% healthy until May, so this is the right thing to do from an insurance standpoint.  If the pats can pull this off that would be epic.  They pick 24th, they have two second round picks, two third round picks, a 4th, 5th, two sixths and a seventh this year.  To get a second first rounder, or a third second rounder for Cassel would be huge.  They hadf a huge draft this year, and another one would put them over the top imo.

I think it makes more sense to trade Brady. I am sure I will catch hell for that statement, I just got off the phone with a buddy in SD who played pro ball and he said Brady is in LA from what he heard and might need another full reconstruction surgery. If this comes out to be true, who is to say that Brady will ever be the Brady of old. I would trade his ass for something good, who carries more weight Brady or Cassell in trade talks?

Brady is getting older as well, while Cassel is still young. I just think that if your going to talk trade look at the older, rehabing player who's name carries a lot of weight?What do you guys think about this scenario?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »
vike me

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »
I think it makes more sense to trade Brady. I am sure I will catch hell for that statement, I just got off the phone with a buddy in SD who played pro ball and he said Brady is in LA from what he heard and might need another full reconstruction surgery. If this comes out to be true, who is to say that Brady will ever be the Brady of old. I would trade his ass for something good, who carries more weight Brady or Cassell in trade talks?

Brady is getting older as well, while Cassel is still young. I just think that if your going to talk trade look at the older, rehabing player who's name carries a lot of weight?What do you guys think about this scenario?
it is a tuff tuff decision but if Brady is out another full season and Cassel does well I think you go ahead and cut ties with Brady...at the end of the "09" season.

Now if Brady is healthy for 09 then Brady is your guy but you hold on to Cassel just in case...

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »
it is a tuff tuff decision but if Brady is out another full season and Cassel does well I think you go ahead and cut ties with Brady...at the end of the "09" season.

Now if Brady is healthy for 09 then Brady is your guy but you hold on to Cassel just in case...

I just think that with Cassel you have a longer career and less worrry. Who is to say that one hit to Brady's knee and his career is over for good. I wouldn't myself want the lottery ticket, I'd rather just have the young kid who looks promising...

body88

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »

Brady is getting older as well, while Cassel is still young. I just think that if your going to talk trade look at the older, rehabbing player who's name carries a lot of weight?What do you guys think about this scenario?

You act like Brady is old...Brady is 31 and he is still in his prime.  I appreciate what your buddy said, but I don't think thats a very credible source to have. Brady was in Boston last week at a charity event walking around just fine. further more, Peter King just flat out said that his sources tell him that Brady is doing better than expected. If anything Brady may need a bit more time to recover from the infection he got, but I don't think anyone credible is saying he needs a whole new surgery.  Not here in Boston anyway.

Brady was never mobile to start with, and the injury he had will not effect him as much as people want to think.  My brother tore both his MCL and PCL and he is just fine.  Look at Rivers this year....he tore his ACL last year and he had the season off his life this year.  Brady might be hurt more than people are letting on, but I think you stick with him until all this CBA stuff regarding the tag and trade blows over.

There is no way you trade Brady if he will make a full recovery.  The pats have another kid on the team who is just like Cassel.

body88

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »
I just think that with Cassel you have a longer career and less worrry. Who is to say that one hit to Brady's knee and his career is over for good. I wouldn't myself want the lottery ticket, I'd rather just have the young kid who looks promising...

Whos to say someone wont hit Cassel in the knee and tear his acl?  Also, the Pats have a kid named Kevin Oconnel who they drafted in the third round that they feel pretty good about.  We are just going to have to wait and see.  What happens if you trade Brady and Cassel turns out to be a good but not great QB?  Brady is PROVEN to be one of the greatest to ever play the game.  If he is healthy you go with him 100%.  The pats have proven they can draft qb's, they can get another one.

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
One way or the other the Pats are in a good situation regardless who is the QB next year....

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 01:03:43 PM »
You act like Brady is old...Brady is 31 and he is still in his prime.  I appreciate what your buddy said, but I don't think that a very credible source to have.  Brady was in Boston las week at a charity event walking around just fine.  Further more, Peter King just flat out said that his sources tell him that Brady is doing better than expected. If anything Brady may need a bit more time to recoever from the infection he got, but I don't think anyone credible is saying he needs a whole new surgery.  Not here in Boston anyway.

Brady was never mobile to start with, and the injury he had will not effect him as much as people want to think.  My brother tore both his MCL and PCL and he is just fine.  Look at Rivers this year, he tore his ACL last year and he had the season off his life this year.

There is no way you trade Brady if he will make a full recoevery.  The pats have another kid on the team who is just like Cassel.

My buddy is usually spot on shit, but I didn't say it was fact.. I don't think that he is old (Brady), but Cassel is a lot younger. I also understand that anything could happen, fuck Cassel could get hit by a train tomorrow and then they wouldn't have him, but I am just saying that an injured QB is more likely to be re-injured then a QB who hasn't been injured. IMO.

You are correct about Brady not being a runner, but the knee could be more then they are leading onto. Walking around just fine is a lot differant then running from a 250 lb Dman, or getting hit with a helmet to the knee. I just think that until we see Brady on the knee in practice or similar situation that he is a very risky call at this point... You do make some good points.

body88

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
My buddy is usually spot on shit, but I didn't say it was fact.. I don't think that he is old (Brady), but Cassel is a lot younger. I also understand that anything could happen, fuck Cassel could get hit by a train tomorrow and then they wouldn't have him, but I am just saying that an injured QB is more likely to be re-injured then a QB who hasn't been injured. IMO.

You are correct about Brady not being a runner, but the knee could be more then they are leading onto. Walking around just fine is a lot differant then running from a 250 lb Dman, or getting hit with a helmet to the knee. I just think that until we see Brady on the knee in practice or similar situation that he is a very risky call at this point... You do make some good points.

No disrespect meant towards your buddy, but Peter King said the exact opposite of him (and he is a legit NFL reporter with good sources).  That said, I'm not going to say the reports of Brady needing more surgery are false.  Looking at the situation, I highly doubt the pats would carry a 28 million dollar salary if they where not confident that Cassel was going to be traded at some point.  I think you would see them working on a 2 year deal if Brady was not going to be back in 09.

I think the pats were pretty clear about what happened to Brady's knee. ACL+PCL tear that was staph infected after the surgery.  That injury is not as serious when the player is not mobile to start with.  Brady wouldn't get very far if he was running from a DL in the first place.  Brady's greatness comes from his ability to shuffle and step-up in the pocket, and also to sense pressure and process defenses very fast.  Tons of guys are more athletic than Tom (including Cassel), but not many guys can read a defense as fast as Tom, or sense pressure like he can.  Infact, thre are only a few guys in history that can be compared.  The knee could effect him, but I don't think it will when he is all healed up.  He is a pure pocket passer, and an MCL and PCL is not going to stop him from stepping and moving. Shit, Brady is better than everyone short of Manning at 90% anyway.

As you said, we have to wait and see.  Also, keep in mind that you could be right about this.  That would suck, but we have Cassel if the worst happens so all is not lost either way.  I think Brady will be ok.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
No disrespect meant towards your buddy, but Peter King said the exact opposite of him (and he is a legit NFL reporter with good sources).  That said, I'm not going to say the reports of Brady needing more surgery are false.  Looking at the situation, I highly doubt the pats would carry a 28 million dollar salary if they where not confident that Cassel was going to be traded at some point.  I think you would see them working on a 2 year deal if Brady was not going to be back in 09.

I think the pats were pretty clear about what happened to Brady's knee. ACL+PCL tear that was staph infected after the surgery.  That injury is not as serious when the player is not mobile to start with.  Brady wouldn't get very far if he was running from a DL in the first place.  Brady's greatness comes from his ability to shuffle and step-up in the pocket, and also to sense pressure and process defenses very fast.  Tons of guys are more athletic than Tom (including Cassel), but not many guys can read a defense as fast as Tom, or sense pressure like he can.  Infact, thre are only a few guys in history that can be compared.  The knee could effect him, but I don't think it will when he is all healed up.  He is a pure pocket passer, and an MCL and PCL is not going to stop him from stepping and moving. Shit, Brady is better than everyone short of Manning at 90% anyway.

As you said, we have to wait and see.  Also, keep in mind that you could be right about this.  That would suck, but we have Cassel if the worst happens so all is not lost either way.  I think Brady will be ok.

In the sports world everyone has a new rumor. SO no offense taken. From what my friend told me, he said that because of the infection that Brady will need another full blown surgery before he is ready for the field again. We will wait and see what happens for his sake I hope it's just a rumor. I just want to know how much effect the initial infection caused.

You are right about Brady being a pocket pressence, he has great pressence in the pocket and that is why he is able to do what he does. He sees all sides of the field and has a good group of guys on his line to give him time. The one guy that can read a D like Tom is Peyton. Not a big fan of the man, but it is cool to watch him change it up at the line based off of what the D looks like.

I would love to see Cassel get traded just to see what kind of production he can put up without the Pats squad with him. Lord knows he wont be going to a powerhouse, wherever he goes. lets hope he can pull a team together and that he goes somewhere with a few options.

body88

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »
Sin, I forgot to mention that I saw Tom and Giselle at Bricco on Friday night, and he looked to be fine.  I know you cant tell much from that, but if it was that serious I don't think he would be out and about strolling.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 02:50:06 PM »
Sin, I forgot to mention that I saw Tom and Giselle at Bricco on Friday night, and he looked to be fine.  I know you cant tell much from that, but if it was that serious I don't think he would be out and about strolling.

No doubt, I can't see someone walking around who needs surgery, but who knows.. Is giselle as hot in person?

body88

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
No doubt, I can't see someone walking around who needs surgery, but who knows.. Is giselle as hot in person?

Yes.....but she has a very weird voice.  Sounds like Paris Hilston on crack.  I guess no one is perfect.