Author Topic: Christopher Langan - The Smartest Man On Earth Is Jacked  (Read 86157 times)

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Christopher Langan - The Smartest Man On Earth Is Jacked
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
Outliers was a pretty interesting book. Isn't Langan running a farm somewhere?

Reminds me of another writer who used to lift weights to combat insecurity =  Robert Howard,the creator of Conan, Kull, etc. Howard ultimately committed suicide.

I didn't know that about Howard.  Apparently all those barbarian-loving guys hit the weights.  There's a thread on Ironage about how Boris Vallejo was a former bodybuilder, and even Frank Frazetta was in good shape.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 10:29:05 AM »
I did a little research and will condede that he is incredibly intelligent on IQ tests

But he is still a big headed, arrogant, fucking asshole.

"Put me in charge" ::) Oh brother.

What a cold hearted SOB.  He is a machine not a man.  Listen to this crackpot :-X

He's not smart enough to know how stupid he sounds.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
I did a little research and will condede that he is incredibly intelligent on IQ tests

But he is still a big headed, arrogant, fucking asshole.

"Put me in charge" ::) Oh brother.

He scores high on IQ tests what does that prove? he's good at taking IQ tests created by like minded people

by Isaac Asimov

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I'd prove myself a moron, and I'd be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.

Consider my auto-repair man, again. He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. One time he raised his head from under the automobile hood to say: "Doc, a deaf-and-mute guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him a hammer. He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked out the sizes he wanted, and left. Well, doc, the next guy who came in was a blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them?"

Indulgently, I lifted by right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon my auto-repair man laughed raucously and said, "Why, you dumb jerk, He used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly, "I've been trying that on all my customers today." "Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few," he said, "but I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you're so goddamned educated, doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:18 AM »
I agree with what you're saying here.  His profile in Outliers is to show how he didn't meet up to his potential, and how with a proper social/economic/academic/etc background he could have been a real success story.  It seems like he has the intelligence to tackle insane test problems, but just lacks the focus and ambition to really do something.  Its a real-life Good Will Hunting situation.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:42 AM »
::) ::)The fat guy is full of shit .

World's smartest man is True Adonis, invented the Adonis Principles, gravity suit , 225lbs for 112reps deadlift  ............etc

Ehhhhh...  :-\

spinnis

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »
Andreas Gunnarsson from sweden 200 + IQ and one of only 3-4 members of Giga Society  :)

One in a BILLION Iq.

spinnis

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
http://giga.iqsociety.org/intro.htm

Probably the hardest society Ever lol.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
there was an artical muscle mag about him long time ago , he lives in and trailer and has zero money , if hes so fucking smart why doesnt he do something with his life , guys a fucking loser

Because there's more to life than making money, you fucking piece of shit guy. The World's most intelligent people, like elite scientists, philosophers and thinkers don't give a hoot about money. Only vulgar people make the acquisition of material wealth their raison d'être. To the people with IQs of 160+, the goal of life is the pursuit of enlightement. Dumbass.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
all that intelligence and all he uses it for is metaphysics... philosophical jibberish that there is no real use for.. should use his intelligence for quantum physics or something like that..

All that is interconnected! At the most essential level, quantum theory is almost undistinguishible from metaphysics! The physical and the abstract intermingle at the core - if you go deep enough into it! How can you be so dense?!

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
 Because there's more to life than making money, you fucking piece of shit ####. The World's most intelligent people, like elite scientists, philosophers and thinkers don't give a hoot about money. Only vulgar people make the acquisition of material wealth their raison d'être. To the people with IQs of 160+, the goal of life is the pursuit of enlightement. Dumbass.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Typical poor trailer trash response.
Z

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
"I'm the smartest man in America, possibly in the world, im gonna use all this brain power and work as a bouncer for 20 years!"  ::)

Apparantely you can have a high iq and be a retard at the same time
Maybe he enjoys the bar scene?

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
The interesting thing about him in this interview is that he seems to have no understanding that everything that is happening today is done on purpose because there are many people that sit in "think tanks" and come up with shit...I mean hell the Nazi's wanted to do genetic engineering...When time doesn't exist, there is no hurry to push humans forward...

I think this guy is the Victor Richards of knowledge...Thinks he is the best ever but scared shitless to try to prove it against men that already sit in think tanks...With his aggressive attitude, its no wonder he can't really be around people...

Drama Queen

• Getbig IV
  • "Silence is argument carried on by other means''
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
 Because there's more to life than making money, you fucking piece of shit ####. The World's most intelligent people, like elite scientists, philosophers and thinkers don't give a hoot about money. Only vulgar people make the acquisition of material wealth their raison d'être. To the people with IQs of 160+, the goal of life is the pursuit of enlightement. Dumbass.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Exactly ,  Coach make more money than this guy and we all know Coach's  IQ can't be more than 50

suckmymuscle

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
He scores high on IQ tests what does that prove? he's good at taking IQ tests created by like minded people

by Isaac Asimov

What is intelligence, anyway? When I was in the army, I received the kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100, scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that, and for two hours they made a big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP - kitchen police - as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that, so that I have the complacent feeling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so too. Actually, though, don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by people who make up the intelligence tests - people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

For instance, I had an auto-repair man once, who, on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80, by my estimate. I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles - and he always fixed my car.

Well, then, suppose my auto-repair man devised questions for an intelligence test. Or suppose a carpenter did, or a farmer, or, indeed, almost anyone but an academician. By every one of those tests, I'd prove myself a moron, and I'd be a moron, too. In a world where I could not use my academic training and my verbal talents but had to do something intricate or hard, working with my hands, I would do poorly. My intelligence, then, is not absolute but is a function of the society I live in and of the fact that a small subsection of that society has managed to foist itself on the rest as an arbiter of such matters.

Consider my auto-repair man, again. He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. One time he raised his head from under the automobile hood to say: "Doc, a deaf-and-mute guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him a hammer. He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked out the sizes he wanted, and left. Well, doc, the next guy who came in was a blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them?"

Indulgently, I lifted by right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon my auto-repair man laughed raucously and said, "Why, you dumb jerk, He used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly, "I've been trying that on all my customers today." "Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few," he said, "but I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you're so goddamned educated, doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.

That's an incredibly sophomoric analyses, ND. IQ correlates statistically with school and job performance so strongly that Princeton used to give more importance to a candidate's IQ rather than SAT scores.

IQ tests don't measure idiot savant skills, but rather the ability to think logically and to retain information, which is the basis of what we call intelligence. A guy who is able to get a good score on an IQ test is far more likely to be able to solve problems in real life than the guy who does poorly. The ability to think logically comes in handy when understanding how a car engine works, or a computer, or how to properly invest your money, etcetera. If you do a regressive analyses, you'll see that IQ test performance correlated with doing well on most aspects of life.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »
Typical poor trailer trash response.

The joke's on you, because I'm filfthy rich. I don't even need to work if I don't want to. I work more just to have something to do. You, conversely, are short, bald and fat as we all know, and short, bald, fat people are far more likely to betrailer trash. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
C.Langan is smart no doubt...But lets face it guys, he is no Dan Quinn

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
A smartest man on earth thread, and no Matzi!?  Dear, oh dear. What has Getbig fallen to?    :-\

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
Stephen Hawking would run that skinny twink over in a heart beat.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
A smartest man on earth thread, and no Matzi!?  Dear, oh dear. What has Getbig fallen to?    :-\
brutal straw man attack.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »
Alot of hate in this thread.  Some jealousy perhaps?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
  All that is interconnected! At the most essential level, quantum theory is almost undistinguishible from metaphysics! The physical and the abstract intermingle at the core - if you go deep enough into it! How can you be so dense?!

SUCKMYMUSCLE
yeah but what real world application does his publication have? not much imo.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
Oh yeah this guy is Definatley a Getbigger.. Check it out..

Wider attention came in 1999, when Esquire magazine published a profile of Langan and other members of the high-IQ community.[9] Billing Langan as "the smartest man in America", the article's account of the weight-lifting bouncer and his CTMU "Theory of Everything" sparked a flurry of media interest. Board-certified neuropsychologist Dr. Robert Novelly tested Langan's IQ for 20/20, which reported that Langan broke the ceiling of the test, scoring "off the charts". Novelly was said to be astounded, saying: "Chris is the highest individual that I have ever measured in 25 years of doing this."[7]

Articles and interviews highlighting Langan appeared in Popular Science,[10] The Times,[8] Newsday,[6] Muscle & Fitness (which reported that he could bench 500 pounds),[11] and elsewhere. Langan was featured on 20/20,[7] interviewed on BBC Radio[12] and on Errol Morris's First Person,[13] and participated in an online chat at ABCNEWS.com.[14] He has written question-and-answer columns for New York Newsday,[15] The Improper Hamptonian,[16] and Men's Fitness.[17]

In 2004, Langan moved with his wife Gina (née LoSasso), a clinical neuropsychologist, to northern Missouri, where he owns and operates a horse ranch.[18]

On January 25, 2008, Langan was a contestant on NBC's 1 vs. 100, where he won $250,000.[19]

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »
He just needs to work on his cage fighting.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
  The joke's on you, because I'm filfthy rich. I don't even need to work if I don't want to. I work more just to have something to do. You, conversely, are short, bald and fat as we all know, and short, bald, fat people are far more likely to betrailer trash. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Of course you are. You're a 300 pound with abs muscle monster Getbig millionaire with an IQ of 200!  ::)
Z