Author Topic: Utah attorney general: BCS may violate antitrust laws  (Read 6213 times)

bigkid

• Getbig IV
Re: Utah attorney general: BCS may violate antitrust laws
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:37 PM »
Thats where i stop reading
The world isn't fair.  I was taught that at an early age.  I'm glad I was too.

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »
Not necessarily grandstanding.  They're putting heat on that farce of a system.  It may force them to do the right thing without any intervention.

"Putting the heat"  ... "force them to do the right thing" ... what a bunch of bullshit.  Nothing will happen.  Twenty years from now, same people will be bitching about no playoff. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
"Putting the heat"  ... "force them to do the right thing" ... what a bunch of bullshit.  Nothing will happen.  Twenty years from now, same people will be bitching about no playoff. 

You're probably right.  I doubt they ever do the right thing, but I love the fact people are bringing the heat.  Amazing what some organizations can get away with. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11:26 AM »
 :)

Hawaii attorney general may join BCS lawsuit
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY

Though the attorney general in Hawaii recently had his hands full with "birthers" demanding President Obama's birth certificate, he now might be involved in another hot-button issue -- the Bowl Championship Series.

Hawaii attorney general David M. Louie may join Utah attorney general Mark Shurtleff, who plans to file suit against the BCS, spokesman Joshua Wisch confirmed Tuesday.

"We're still taking a look," said Wisch of the Hawaii attorney general's office, adding there was no timetable for the decision.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser first reported the story. Shurtleff told the newspaper he spoke "at length" with Louie at a national attorneys general meeting in March, adding, "(Louie) was very interested."

"We've heard from his staff and we're working on an agreement to be able to share information with them confidentially," Shurtleff said. "I'm hopeful many states will join us and I'd love to have Hawaii join us."

Shurtleff contends the BCS is an illegal monopoly that violates antitrust regulations since it deprives schools in conferences without an automatic BCS bids, such as the University of Hawaii, equal access.

BCS officials say the antitrust concerns are groundless.

"Those of us responsible for the BCS have thoroughly reviewed the principles underlying our format and are confident that our approach is competitive and legal," Penn State President Graham Spanier who heads the BCS presidential oversight committee, recently told USA TODAY.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/05/hawaii-attorney-general-bcs-lawsuit/1

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
Seriously, the Government has ZERO business messing with sports. From MLB to college football, it is not their house to clean. Here is an easy idea for a playoff that would satisfy most and keep the bowls intact. Take the 4 BCS bowls(Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange) add 2 more big bowls, Cotton and maybe Capital One and make that your playoff. The top 8 teams are invited, they play in a quarterfinal and semi final in the bowls listed and the BCS Championship game is the final one. This would actually pay out more, as the final champion would get paid 3 times via 3 games instead of the one. And you keep all other bowl games as is, that way teams who dont make the elite 8 at least can win something and get a pay day. Doing what basketball does with the huge playoff would never work in football, too much travel and too many games. This is nice and condensed and gets to a champion within 3 weeks or so.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 12:06:55 AM »
Seriously, the Government has ZERO business messing with sports. From MLB to college football, it is not their house to clean. Here is an easy idea for a playoff that would satisfy most and keep the bowls intact. Take the 4 BCS bowls(Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange) add 2 more big bowls, Cotton and maybe Capital One and make that your playoff. The top 8 teams are invited, they play in a quarterfinal and semi final in the bowls listed and the BCS Championship game is the final one. This would actually pay out more, as the final champion would get paid 3 times via 3 games instead of the one. And you keep all other bowl games as is, that way teams who dont make the elite 8 at least can win something and get a pay day. Doing what basketball does with the huge playoff would never work in football, too much travel and too many games. This is nice and condensed and gets to a champion within 3 weeks or so.

Would not satisfy me at all.  I think all conference winners should compete, like they do in every other team sport at every other level.  Division IAA, Division II, Division III, and NAIA football all get by just fine with playoffs.  Division I can do the same thing.  The champion shouldn't be determined by some computer system, reserved for a handful of schools in the country.   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »
Would not satisfy me at all.  I think all conference winners should compete, like they do in every other team sport at every other level.  Division IAA, Division II, Division III, and NAIA football all get by just fine with playoffs.  Division I can do the same thing.  The champion shouldn't be determined by some computer system, reserved for a handful of schools in the country.   

qft

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »

Thats fine, but you would still have to have a cap. Division II playoffs stop at 20 teams I believe, Division I would have to be similar. Simply for logistical reasons and the sheer length of the schedule, you would have to be reasonable with the amount of teams invited. Inviting conference champions only would be a good idea. I really don't see it happening though, way to much tradition and old farts running the show.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »

Thats fine, but you would still have to have a cap. Division II playoffs stop at 20 teams I believe, Division I would have to be similar. Simply for logistical reasons and the sheer length of the schedule, you would have to be reasonable with the amount of teams invited. Inviting conference champions only would be a good idea. I really don't see it happening though, way to much tradition and old farts running the show.

It could work the same way in D1.  I think there are about 16 conferences?  We could add about 4 at large teams, cut the regular season schedule by a couple games so teams only play 10 or 11.  Playoffs are played in the current bowl structure, with the championship being hosted by one of the major sponsors (Rose, Fiesta, etc.).  Done. 

I've always said that I could sit in a room with a few of my friends and we could come up with a playoff system in less than 1 hour that would work. 

I don't see it happening either, unless the courts break this thing up. 

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
It could work the same way in D1.  I think there are about 16 conferences?  We could add about 4 at large teams, cut the regular season schedule by a couple games so teams only play 10 or 11.  Playoffs are played in the current bowl structure, with the championship being hosted by one of the major sponsors (Rose, Fiesta, etc.).  Done. 

I've always said that I could sit in a room with a few of my friends and we could come up with a playoff system in less than 1 hour that would work. 

I don't see it happening either, unless the courts break this thing up. 

I'd love a playoff, I just don't want the Feds to make that happen. I think the CFB Presidents and allumni would have to push for it. Congress screws everything else up, I don't want their hands on college football, no matter how good there intentions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
I'd love a playoff, I just don't want the Feds to make that happen. I think the CFB Presidents and allumni would have to push for it. Congress screws everything else up, I don't want their hands on college football, no matter how good there intentions.

I agree if we're talking about government control. 

All that needs to happen is the courts need to say the current structure is illegal.  I think that would force schools to come up with a playoff system.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:38 PM »
How the heck does Boise get left out of the "BCS"?  And why is this farce of a system still alive?   ::)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
I am a huge Va Tech and UNC fan...and even I think that it is total b.s. that the Hokies are in the Sugar Bowl after the lubeless ass raping they took from Clemson.  (Michigan doesn't belong either).

The crap has even filtered down to the second tier...  2   6-6 teams in the Gator Bowl???  WTF?????

And UCLA at 6-7 should not be in a bowl, even if they are the "Pac-12 South Division Champions" (oh, brother   ::)  )

The Gator Bowl used to be the top "second tier" bowl...just under the Big 4 at the time (Rose, Sugar, Orange, COTTON not Fiesta)...and well over the Sun. 
~

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »
Mark Shurtleff: Boise State snub helps BCS antitrust lawsuit
BY ROBERT GEHRKE
The Salt Lake Tribune
First published Jan 01 2012 07:06PM
Updated Jan 1, 2012 11:59PM

Attorney General Mark Shurtleff says he expects to sue the Bowl Championship Series by next month and that the snub of Boise State in this season’s bowl games gives additional fodder to the impending lawsuit.

“I think we got some really good, new facts this season to support our case,” Shurtleff told The Tribune in a recent interview. “The big example again is Boise State. They had one loss and finished in the Top 10, and yet they don’t get a [BCS] bowl game.”

Instead of Boise State, the Discover Orange Bowl selected West Virginia and Clemson, each with three losses. The Allstate Sugar Bowl took Michigan and Virginia Tech, both of which were ranked below Boise State.

The Broncos were relegated to the Maaco Bowl, where they dominated Arizona State and earned $1.1 million. If they had made the BCS, Boise State’s conference would have shared $26.4 million.

But Bill Hancock, executive director of the Bowl Championship Series, defends the system and says it has opened up access for small-conference teams to the premier bowl games.

The National Championship game is designed to pair the top two teams in the country. After that, the bowls can pick the teams they desire.

“The Sugar Bowl is an independent organization. It owns the game, presents the game, and arranges for the opportunities for student-athletes, coaches, and fans to enjoy as part of the bowl experience,” he said in an email. “It makes no sense that, having created the event, the Sugar Bowl should not be able to select those teams that it wishes to invite to its game.”

Under the BCS structure, six conferences — the traditional football powerhouses — have automatic qualifying spots. Hancock said before the BCS, teams from outside those top conferences have cracked into one of the elite bowl games only five times in 54 years.

Since the BCS was created, seven teams have played in those games in eight years.

“Think about that,” he said. “Five times in 54 years versus seven times in eight years.”

That argument may pose the biggest challenge to any lawsuit that Shurtleff ends up filing, according to Michael McCann, director of the Sports Law Institute at the Vermont Law School.

“Before there was a BCS, there was no playoff system, so it’s not clear there would be one after,” he said. “That helps it in court, because they can argue that, on balance, it promotes competition because it provides a system that didn’t exist before.”

The court may be reluctant to determine there is a legal right to a college football playoff and decide that it is unwilling or unable to undo any harm done by the system.

“There are clearly overtly anti-competitive qualities to the BCS,” McCann said. “But I think, on balance, at this point going into the litigation, I think the BCS would be favored.”

For nearly three years — ever since an undefeated University of Utah was denied a shot at the national title, trouncing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl instead — Shurtleff has been threatening to sue the BCS for colluding to deprive schools from smaller conferences a shot at elite bowl games. (Utah joined the Pac-12 last year, which is a BCS automatic-qualifying conference.)

In August, the state issued a “Request For Information,” soliciting input and statements of interest from law firms that might be interested in representing the state in the litigation. Twenty-four responded to the request, including some of the most prestigious law firms in the country.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/53206839-183/bcs-bowl-shurtleff-state.html.csp