Author Topic: Total lack of motivation v. I have no idea where topics like this belong.  (Read 20360 times)

Akus

• Getbig I
First and foremost of all, I apologize if this doesn't belong here. There is a section for teenagers and for people over 35. I am 31, so I get I'm SOL.

I have a problem of motivation. This is not your typical lazy beer drinking pizza eating loser whining how he can't get his ass up to complete simple goals, even those that have jack shit to do with bodybuilding.

I have a problem of burning out. I have periods when I constantly attend a gym and if circumstances don't allow me, I can set up my own minigym in my apartment ( I have a pilates ball and two 25lbs dumbbells ). But sometimes I stop working out altogether. It really has nothing to do with lazyness. I am simply burned out of the routine.

I have asked people before what to do about beating boredom. I have received an advice on trying different exercizes, which, of course, not only is good for breaking up the boredom, it is also healthy for the body, as it adjusts quickly to the same strain it is subjected to and constant variety of exercizes constantly puts the body in the unusual and uncomfortable (in a good way) circumstances. It worked.

But sometimes I just feel burned out of exercizing altoghether. Sometimes I wonder if people like Jay Cutler or Markus Ruhl ever wake up one day and go: "If I see another dumbbell or cross cable machine or anything having anything to do with a physical exercise, I will shoot myself". That is how I feel sometimes and believe you me, I have ways and ways to go before my physique looks even remotely like that of either of those two.

I don't need to be told that I am just lazy and my fat ass (5'10", 220 lbs) needs to get its act together. I already know that :D. I just want some kind of a pep talk or some kind of a mental therapy (as much mental therapy can be possible using typed words on the internet). I heavily suspect that this may not even be a problem, but a symptom of another problem.

I know that bodybuilding is not the end, but merely means to the end. Most bodybuilders I personally know told me that if I pump muscles to pump muscles, then I have problems. Having 25" arms shouldn't be my sole meaning of life. It is a merely a decoration of sorts, kind of like a tie for men, or earrings for women. And I am currently at crossroads in my life, doing a lot of soul searching. And while I don't know yet who I am and what I want to do, I know I want to build my body to look, as the saying goes, "jacked". Not for someone else's seal of approval, and not for the ladies (Ok, may be a little :)), but for my own self improvement.

So, I hope some one can relate and be my personal Tony Robbins.

Thanks.

mass 04

• Getbig V
cliffs Carl Sandburg?

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
your better off staying fat

being in shape is way overrated

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
meltdown

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Best way to beat boredom is be active and push yourself. There is no analytical solution to it; it's just a matter of doing it.

I don't know what you mean by "burned out" lol If that's so excruciating to you then you are better off doing nothing.  ::)

Akus

• Getbig I
I don't know what you mean by "burned out" lol If that's so excruciating to you then you are better off doing nothing.  ::)
Benz nailed it.

mass 04

• Getbig V
No offense dude but if you get burnt out after a few weeks, maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

benz

• Getbig V

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
reality check- lifting weights and working out isn't supposed to be fun
stop being a pussy and just work out

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
You've got to want a better body more than you want to be out getting pissed or sitting around eating pizza and chips.

If you don't want it, congratulations, that puts you in the bottom 99.5%+ of people in the world.

Up to you.....

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Total lack of motivation v. I have no idea where topics like this belong.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
WTF am I supposed to read all that? 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
There are tons of things I could suggest to you but somehow I feel whatever I say will just bounce right off you or go over your head so why bother.  Benz was right...meltdown. 

Akus

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
There are tons of things I could suggest to you but somehow I feel whatever I say will just bounce right off you or go over your head so why bother.  Benz was right...meltdown. 
Try me. I don't even want to rebuttal anything. All I want is some advice, motivation, kick in the ass, whatever.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
Try me. I don't even want to rebuttal anything. All I want is some advice, motivation, kick dick in the ass, whatever.

You are so poor man, you should just hang yourself for some serious motivation.

burn in hell will help aswel

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »

yes and to add

Akus

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

Wow, that was really adult.  ::)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
hang in there bro
i was overtrained once...just take a week off and eat lots of essential fatty acids
w

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
Hello new member and welcome to this great site.  :)

If you are overtrained, perhaps take a week off from all training, keep your cals high and just relax and get plenty of sleep.

Thankyou for joining this site and i hope to talk to you again.

Regards,
webcke
No doubt about it...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »

( I have a pilates ball and two 25lbs dumbbells ).

This is why you are getting nowhere. A Pilates Ball and 25 pound weights...Sounds like a Bally's Commercial

John W

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 07:16:49 PM »
So you want to know how to train everyday without getting burned out or bored? Just take a nap when you get a chance and always eat a pre workout meal with carbs and protein. Doing this your body will always be ready for workout every day. Does this sound so hard? The rest is up to you.

Then JFT regardless of mental state cause then you know your body got what it takes, doing everything right with nutrition and recovery. It's a maturity thing. Everyone has to go through some lack of discipline or motivation, some mistakes etc, to get it right. If you don't, it will just come up later. But in the long run, recovery and diet needs to be pretty much faultless, no real way around that. When you are young you can get away with a lot but if you want to keep at it rest of life, don't fool yourself.

Akus

• Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »
So you want to know how to train everyday without getting burned out or bored? Just take a nap when you get a chance and always eat a pre workout meal with carbs and protein. Doing this your body will always be ready for workout every day. Does this sound so hard? The rest is up to you.

Then JFT regardless of mental state cause then you know your body got what it takes, doing everything right with nutrition and recovery. It's a maturity thing. Everyone has to go through some lack of discipline or motivation, some mistakes etc, to get it right. If you don't, it will just come up later. But in the long run, recovery and diet needs to be pretty much faultless, no real way around that. When you are young you can get away with a lot but if you want to keep at it rest of life, don't fool yourself.
what is JFT?

John W

• Getbig II

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »

LOL good one benz. 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
have some fresh blueberries and brie   

Akus

• Getbig I
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »

Thank you for a first mature reply.

I want to ask you something else

Sometimes I plan to work a particular body part, like, say, my back, but when I go to the gym, it is so crowded and, sure enough, the cable pulls and rows are constantly taken and I can't just do something else, because I did legs yesterday and I did biceps and triceps the day before and they still haven't recovered. It really kills a motivation when, instead of working out, you waste precious time in an already limited time window to work out hunting for the available bench or a dumbbell. I work out at 24 hour fitness, and when I am able to work out, the place is crowded and when I can't (work, asleep, whatever), sure enough it's empty.

Anyone else dealt with this?