Author Topic: Elbow Pain!!!  (Read 8858 times)

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
Elbow Pain!!!
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
As I approach the age of 30 I am getting more and more nagging injuries but this one I wanted to get alittle advice...

The last 2 days my elbow feels like it has a build up of fluids and it is pulsating or fluttering then when I trained chest today it was
rather painful had to quit and resort to cables anyone experience anything like this before?.......

Thanks,
DAWG

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Elbow Pain!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »
ive had this too,,,,,,,,,,,, u want to ice them and avoid anything that causes them pain,, once theyve settled down commence training again but make sure to wrap your elbows for the 1st few months

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
I can't homey get big or die trying...It has actually healed up I just did alot of sissified exercises for a 2 week period and it is great just hope I didn't jinx myself on this one though...but I agree just needed some rest.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »
As I approach the age of 30 I am getting more and more nagging injuries but this one I wanted to get alittle advice...

The last 2 days my elbow feels like it has a build up of fluids and it is pulsating or fluttering then when I trained chest today it was
rather painful had to quit and resort to cables anyone experience anything like this before?.......

Thanks,
DAWG
Yes......I know the pain you speak of......try using bio freeze or even tiger balm!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
When I've had elbow pain I back off of exercises where my elbow rests on something for biceps...for instance no preacher curls or squatting curls w/cables where my elbows rest on my knees.  Oh and also no underhand pull-ups.   
R

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
When this happens to me I usually just keep away from the exercises that really cause inflammation, pain, restricted ROM, etc. Mainly these are any form of extension for me.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
Seem to be getting a lot of this lately, primarily when training tris. I have ditched skull crushers in favor of close-grip bench, since the former hurt my elbows too much and I enjoy the latter more anyway. It seems the movement that hurts the most now is overhead extensions with a dumbell, both arms at the same time.

I have always been a big believer in having at least one stretch movement for tri's, but it is getting to the point where I may have to stop these because it really hurts the elbows. My form is strict too, but I do go pretty deep for the stretch. Cable pushouts hurt too somewhat. Just stinks because I have been getting a little stronger on some movements. Somewhat of an improvement from my humerus fracture last year (the two are not related).

I do use a joint supplement called Regenicare. It has glucosamine, chondroiton, MSM and something called protectin. I do ice them when I think of it too and and also I have some pad which is supposed to emit infra-red light to help with joint repair. Not sure if it is helping or not.  Just sucks because there really is no other sollution other than staying away from what causes the pain, which usually goes hand-in-hand with muscle atrophy. 

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
Seem to be getting a lot of this lately, primarily when training tris. I have ditched skull crushers in favor of close-grip bench, since the former hurt my elbows too much and I enjoy the latter more anyway. It seems the movement that hurts the most now is overhead extensions with a dumbell, both arms at the same time.

I have always been a big believer in having at least one stretch movement for tri's, but it is getting to the point where I may have to stop these because it really hurts the elbows. My form is strict too, but I do go pretty deep for the stretch.
Cable pushouts hurt too somewhat. Just stinks because I have been getting a little stronger on some movements. Somewhat of an improvement from my humerus fracture last year (the two are not related).

I do use a joint supplement called Regenicare. It has glucosamine, chondroiton, MSM and something called protectin. I do ice them when I think of it too and and also I have some pad which is supposed to emit infra-red light to help with joint repair. Not sure if it is helping or not.  Just sucks because there really is no other sollution other than staying away from what causes the pain, which usually goes hand-in-hand with muscle atrophy. 

I also used to go as deep as I could on overhead extensions, but started getting elbow pain.  Now I don't let my elbows bend beyond about 90 degrees on extensions and I'm pain free and getting much better results aswell.  Maybe give it a shot.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
May also consider lowering the weight a good bit and going as deep as normal, but with a much slower and more controlled negative.

The stretch of that full ROM plays a big role in the effectiveness of extensions.
Obviously, however, if you can't do it you can't do it.
Experiment some and use your judgement.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »
I have always used a controlled negative on all my movements, but it could still probably be lowered an extra second or two slower.  Not sure, but I think maybe too I have just simply done too much for the upper arms.  They have responded with growth, although interestingly the arm with the worse of the tendonitis is almost an inch smaller than my other arm (funny how things work, my current "good" arm was my bad arm last year when I fractured the humerus).  See how it feels today for chest and back, but I may have to make some adjustments for a bit to allow it to heal.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »
Not sure, but I think maybe too I have just simply done too much for the upper arms. 

Inflammation of the epicondyle is typically caused by overuse; not necessarily weight.

Tennis elbow is a great example.
Players develop tendonitis in their elbows from swinging a racket that weighs almost nothing.
The problems arise from the repetition of that swing – over and over again.

So, it is possible that you’ve simply overdone it on the arm work. That means it’s probably time to take a break from those exercises that bother your elbows directly and instead use some alternatives that don’t.
It’s important to still use the elbows in order to stretch the tendons and keep some circulation in an area that is otherwise almost void of it.

Do some arm stretches throughout the day, and maybe try some OTC anti-inflammatories. Fish oil is also recommended.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
Good tips; I wish there was a way getting around simply not doing the exercises, but if you want to continue to be healthy, guess there is not much of a choice. I have also ordered myself an Ultrasound device to use, don't know if it will be helpful or turn out to be a waste. I am also thinking about going on something like maybe a Bill Starr routine for a while where there is not too much emphasis on direct arm training. Who knows, maybe the change will do me some good. It's been a while since I did a good squat, deadlift/power clean oriented routine.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 07:09:52 AM »
Tried arms again last night.  The only thing I seem to be able to do for tri's without extreme pain is pushdowns with elbows wide and dips (surprised by dips, thought they would hurt).  Even bi's are kind of restricted.  I think what it really comes down to is I just need a break in general.  I have been going pretty much nonstop since September once I got the greenlight to start training normal after my arm break last year.  I've been getting stronger but I think my joints need a rest in general.  Even my forearms are feeling a little tweaked from going heavy on dumbell and hammer curls.  I guess the remedy is to take a week rest and then change up the routine after.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
try some cissus........... i keep banging on about it,  but no one ever heads my advices...

im a mechanical fitter, work in ship yards, cant think of a more physical hands on job, im usualy aching all the time, but that stuff realy does ease it...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »
try some cissus........... i keep banging on about it,  but no one ever heads my advices...

im a mechanical fitter, work in ship yards, cant think of a more physical hands on job, im usualy aching all the time, but that stuff realy does ease it...

I just did abit of reading around and it sounds great, and I searched Getbig and saw you've been recommending it for awhile.

Is there a specific brand you use, or buy in bulk or something?  From what I've read, Super Cissus Rx by USPlabs sounds good.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »
I just did abit of reading around and it sounds great, and I searched Getbig and saw you've been recommending it for awhile.

Is there a specific brand you use, or buy in bulk or something?  From what I've read, Super Cissus Rx by USPlabs sounds good.

I had tried Super Cissus about a year ago and noticed nothing.

It was highly recommended to me by a knowledgeable source, and you’re right – many folks here do like it, and I’m sure it works well for a lot of people.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 05:30:25 AM »
I had tried Super Cissus about a year ago and noticed nothing.

It was highly recommended to me by a knowledgeable source, and you’re right – many folks here do like it, and I’m sure it works well for a lot of people.

Thanks.  I haven't got any major problems at the moment, but I like everything to run very smoothly so I might check it out and see how it goes.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »
i get mine from myprotein........ dont know where your from as im from uk...

it does seem to ease everthing alittle,, seems like a very light anabolic too