Author Topic: Pros dont use protein powder  (Read 4487 times)

TBUNZEE

• Getbig II
Pros dont use protein powder
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »
Seems to be a lot of debate for and against this question....so here it is for all those who may know or have discussed with pros the question at hand?  Do pro's not use protein powder at all?  Not even after their workouts for a quick and effecient hit of protein?  Damn this would blow my mind but I think its very possible with no FDA regulations and not knowing whats really in our overpriced tubs....Please discuss...(and if they dont use it than they just eat whole meals right after always?)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
Re: Pros dont use protein powder
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
you want these members of getbig.com to tell you what pro bodybuilders, all of them, eat or take after their workouts?

going for a longshot here arntcha.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »
Most probably do, some don't.  No need for a big debate.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
The Three Times Uncrowned (at least) Mr. Olympia told me that during his competitive years he did use protein.  He did not really count calories or protein in take but said "the more protein the better."  He did slack at times and not eat much protein only when he felt sick of it, but recommended high protein for growth and especially when dieting to preserve muscle.  Now that he's retired he does not use protein powder or even really watch his protein intake either.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
Seems to be a lot of debate for and against this question....so here it is for all those who may know or have discussed with pros the question at hand?  Do pro's not use protein powder at all?  Not even after their workouts for a quick and effecient hit of protein?  Damn this would blow my mind but I think its very possible with no FDA regulations and not knowing whats really in our overpriced tubs....Please discuss...(and if they dont use it than they just eat whole meals right after always?)
Of course the use protein powder. Try eating 4000 calories a day that is fairly clean and you will get pretty tired of eating meat.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Of course the use protein powder. Try eating 4000 calories a day that is fairly clean and you will get pretty tired of eating meat.

try eating 6000-7000 calories a day and not getting tired of eating

edit: and i'm eating a 60 gram protein sub right now, roast beef, turkey, ham, provolone cheese, wheat bread

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »

edit: and i'm eating a 60 gram protein sub right now, roast beef, turkey, ham, provolone cheese, wheat bread
Post contest i can keep that up for about 2 months but after that i can't hahahaha. 4000 calories should be more then enough to take me up to 200 pounds though but its not working out very well.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »

pro's should be wallstreet players, they are good at lying my friend

Hows the dream in canada Tbunzee?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
The Three Times Uncrowned (at least) Mr. Olympia told me that during his competitive years he did use protein.  He did not really count calories or protein in take but said "the more protein the better."  He did slack at times and not eat much protein only when he felt sick of it, but recommended high protein for growth and especially when dieting to preserve muscle.  Now that he's retired he does not use protein powder or even really watch his protein intake either.
Yeah the more proteing the better chance he will have of heavily soiling his underwear which increases the value on the schmoe market.  Seriously, I think most pro bodybuilders get their protein straight from the tap. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
Post contest i can keep that up for about 2 months but after that i can't hahahaha. 4000 calories should be more then enough to take me up to 200 pounds though but its not working out very well.

ive lost 30 lbs and i'm eating that much now. Theres so much food in me, i can throw up just by thinking about it. Next meal is 4 chicken breasts, green beans, and potatos, at exactly 4:30 (hour and half).

I'm not bragging, it sucks balls, i hate eating.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »
The ones I have asked about it seem to take it 3-4 times a day, 3 scoops usually.

Not because they love it, but because
1) it's usually free (they give it away at expos, companies send them freebies, or they endorse), and that beats buying tilipia by the case
2) it helps them to keep their bodyweight up
3) Your body CAN use 500 grams when you're offseason on gear.  It stops being effective at 300 or 350 grams when you're natural.

What's amusing is the stuff that some guys give to their friends.  Chat it up with a pro at the gym.  He probably has 4 tubs of almost expired crap flavored protein in his trunk that he can't give away

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
The Three Times Uncrowned (at least) Mr. Olympia told me that during his competitive years he did use protein.  He did not really count calories or protein in take but said "the more protein the better."  He did slack at times and not eat much protein only when he felt sick of it, but recommended high protein for growth and especially when dieting to preserve muscle.  Now that he's retired he does not use protein powder or even really watch his protein intake either.

nasser is the man for a lot of reasons...

most of all, the fact that he was so smart with his $ during his competitive years.

smart guy.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
ive lost 30 lbs and i'm eating that much now. Theres so much food in me, i can throw up just by thinking about it. Next meal is 4 chicken breasts, green beans, and potatos, at exactly 4:30 (hour and half).

I'm not bragging, it sucks balls, i hate eating.

Well stop fucking eating then, you're not Mr Olympia!

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »
Pro's only use protein powder/drinks/NOS/otc supplements when their sponsors camera is rolling.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 12:20:28 PM »
Protein powder is probably the MOST used supplement of the pro's....the simple reason is that it's tough to actually eat enough food/ enough meals to get in the amount of protein we use in our contest prep...

As for all this talk of "no regulations"....trust me, they are subject to all kinds of testing/ lableing/ etc.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

You are probably lucky if you are getting 30g.  Those processed deli meats are GARBAGE.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
nasser is the man for a lot of reasons...

most of all, the fact that he was so smart with his $ during his competitive years.

smart guy.

Exactly - and you're absolutely correct in your earlier post about freebies.  At Nasser's place I saw many drawers and cabinets literally full of unopened Weider supplements - glutamine, amino acids, you name it.  One can only use so much and it's less than what they get for free.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
Protein powder is probably the MOST used supplement of the pro's....the simple reason is that it's tough to actually eat enough food/ enough meals to get in the amount of protein we use in our contest prep...

As for all this talk of "no regulations"....trust me, they are subject to all kinds of testing/ lableing/ etc.

Yes, you can go to many sites and they even have independent lab reports done that you can view/download.

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »
Every pro I have had here touring or competing has protein shakes.

Last year Dexter, Melvin, Toney, Troy and Moe  all bought protein as soon as they landed as it sometimes gets confiscated at customs as you cant bring food into Oz. Ronnie always had his shakes. As Bob said it is too hard to get all that protein through food alone. I might add that the guys were having protein before and after the shows.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »
You are probably lucky if you are getting 30g.  Those processed deli meats are GARBAGE.

they do have a lot of sodium in them, yeah, but universities (at least mine) are big on keeping nutrition info for just about any food that can be found on campus, even the different types of nutrition of lettuce at the dining hall salad bar are posted.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
Exactly - and you're absolutely correct in your earlier post about freebies.  At Nasser's place I saw many drawers and cabinets literally full of unopened Weider supplements - glutamine, amino acids, you name it.  One can only use so much and it's less than what they get for free.

I'd say he's one of the few exceptions, BB. There's a trend in Getbig to scoff at protein supplements, saying they are all crap. As long as it's used to complement a wholesome diet, it's great and has been proven to be so.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
I'd say he's one of the few exceptions, BB. There's a trend in Getbig to scoff at protein supplements, saying they are all crap. As long as it's used to complement a wholesome diet, it's great and has been proven to be so.

Couldn't have said it any better. 

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »
offseason pros eat everything that isn't nailed down, lots of pizza, cheeseburgers, chinese and italian.

spinnis

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »
Pros doesnt use, HyDRZoOOZoOXOOXO Cut 20004Tubrochjarger 500 BOOM bada bing cut.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »
Says who?

Many of them not only take them but they consume them in HUGE quantities, the cost of which would drive most of us into bankruptcy.

I remember the “Probing the Pros” section of MuscleMag International. Each month, 12 pro bodybuilders (technically, it was 11 pros and one top amateur) would answer a question fielded by a reader, picked by Robert Kennedy.

When it came to protein consumption, many of the pros there consumed MET-Rx, the most popular MRP at that time. However, unlike the recommendation on the box, these guys were taking at least 8 packets of MET-Rx a day, IN ADDITION TO their regular meals.

Last time I checked, 8 packets of MET-Rx contained just under 300 grams of protein.

A couple of FLEX issues ago, there was an article on Eddie Abbew, who claims to have a small appetite for food. So, he actually blends his meat up and mixes it with water, in order to drink his calories. Abbew claims that his blender, "smells like @$$"; in fact, after getting a whiff of the blender in which Abbew prepares lunch, fellow pro, Darrem Charles, nearly lost his.

As for Bigbob's comment, there are a handful of posters whom MidniteRambo described as a “whole food-ist” cult, folk who think they’re more “hardcore” because they don’t use supplements at all, or at the very least, they don’t use such from certain companies (i.e. MuscleTech).

I would add to this that other posters here seem to use the steroids excuse as to why they won't implement certain often-discussed, tried-and-true nutritional strategies to help them get bigger.

Let them tell it, consuming high protein levels (say 300-400 g per day) only works for steroid users; using intra-workout drinks (with high carbs, creatine, aminos, etc) only works for steroids users, etc., etc.

Suggest that they up their protein intake, and they'll sail the seven seas, looking for examples of people with muscular people, who don't eat as much protein as some have recommended. That may indeed work for those individuals. But, if it ain't effective for those particular posters, citing such people is utterly pointless.

Many of us are quite familiar with Ronnie Coleman's mantra, "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder; but don't nobody want to lift no heavy-@$$ weight". I'd say a similar thing applies, when it comes to nutrition. Some folks don't want to eat no "heavy-@$$" food, namely the quality and QUANTITY of carbs, fat, and especially PROTEIN that they need to grow (whether they use steroids or go/stay "natty").