Author Topic: Ironman 2009 - Ron Avidan's Top 10 Predictions  (Read 26041 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Ironman 2009 - Ron Avidan's Top 10 Predictions
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
The weather is very nice here the week before the 2009 Ironman in Los Angeles.  For the last week, we have had 80 degree weather, and it is going to be that way also until Thursday, the weekend of the contest, where the forecasts call for rain.  Rain, in Los Angeles. Yes, it looks like that we may have a raincloud or two trying to wet itself on the convention center, where the 2009 Ironman and Fit Expo will be held.

This is the 20th year at the Ironman Pro Men’s bodybuilding contest, and it looks like the lineup is going to be a good one. Never mind the naysayers, who complain that some big names are not in this show. This lineup is just as good as in past years, and I, for one, am excited to see which names and surprises are going to be thrown at us this year.  You never know, but that does not stop me from making predictions. After all, I am taken away the title from Lonnie Teper from the past two years on making this predictions on the pro show (he will disagree with me, of course), and after a nice relaxing few weeks of holidays spirit, I am ready for the year. The top 5 here at this show are qualified to compete in the 2009 Olympia.

So who do we have competing this year. Here is the list that has been brought to our attention. It looks like 14 countries are being represented here. They are, in alphabetical order.

Eddie Abbew (England)
Troy Alves (USA)
Oliver Adzievski (Sweden)
Mohammad Bannout (Lebanon)
Thomas Bengali (Italy)
AD Cherry (USA)
Omar Deckard (USA)
Constantinos Demetriou (Australia)
Mark Dugdale (USA)
Tamer El-Guindy (Egypt)
Moe El Moussawi (New Zealand)
Oleg Emelyanov (Russia)
Aiman Faour (Lebanon)
DeShaun Grimez (USA)
Ahmad Haidar (Lebanon)
Marcus Haley (USA)
Johnnie Jackson (USA)
Martin Kjellstrom (Sweden)
Marc LaVoie (Canada)
Don Long (USA)
Daron Lytle (USA)
Caesar Mendible (Venezuela)
Evgeny Mishin (Russia)
Ronny Rockel (Germany)
Silvio Samuel (Spain)
Daniele Seccarecci (Italy), and
Hidetada Yamagishi (Japan)

So here goes, my top ten predictions.

1)   Moe El Moussawi.   Now Silvio is the man, the favorite in this contest, and some say that he will come in and win this show easily. I am not so sure.  Last year, Moe stunned the Ironman crowd by defeating Silvio here, causing Silvio to shake his head.  Silvio did come back and beat him at the Olympia, but this is a new year, and the question is, which one of these competitors can withstand the holiday season, and come back three weeks into January looking better than the other.  I have seen some pictures of Moe. He is ten pounds heavier than last year, and looks shredded. He is determined. He just may pull it off, and defeat Silvio here again, like last year. Only this time, there is no Phil Heath to block is path to the prize. Moe is flying in from New Zealand a week before the contest and will be ready.

2)   Silvio Samuel.   Silvio is amazing. No question about it. This guy enters contest after contest and never looks like he is out of shape. I think when I talk to people, Silvio is the one that they say will beat everyone who has entered this contest. Even in the offseason, Silvio looks great, so why is he in second. I don’t know. I just have this feeling that Moe might take it, and look for shredded.  Silvio, pound for pound, is bigger, stronger and more muscular, but in terms of being shredded, well… it is going to be a battle.

3)   Hidetada Yamagishi – Hide is hungry, coupled off the firestorm last year that derailed his career, and had him lose his contract and much more, in terms of respect from the Japanese people.  He was a Japanese hero, and his arrest was too much for some. Never the less, this is a new year, and he is determined to show everyone that he is in shape, that he can compete in the rank, and will qualify for the 2009 Olympia on the first contest of the year. After all, he is not currently competing at the 2009 Arnold, so this is his big change to show what he has.

4)   Johnnie Jackson –  Agreeing to compete on the last day of the deadline, Johnnie never looks bad, and is the strongest bodybuilder on stage. He knows he is in shape, his muscular and will not bore us as he should earn a trip to the 2009 Olympia.

5)   Troy Alves – Back look great, chest looks great, legs look good, but the hamstring and glutes. This is where placings are made, and will Troy be ready in terms of bringing the overall package this year. I think he will.  I spoke to Troy earlier this week, and he seem like he was spot on, and is excited to be competing again at the 2009 Ironman.

6)   Ronnie Rockel – Ronnie always comes in shape, and I know think this year won't be different.  Muscular, conditioned and just a good overall physique will catapult him in the top 10, but will he be able to get into the top 5 . I am not so sure, judging by the deep lineup we have now.

7)   Mark Dugdale – For some reason, I feel that Mark, to me, as some of the deepest respect in bodybuilding. A full time job, married with three little girls, great family values, how do you get in shape for a contest. Still, it has to be tough, and Mark usually is in that spot between being a smaller bodybuilder or trying to pack on size and lose some symmetry by being a heavier bodybuilder. I hope Mark does well here, he is one of the nicest competitors out there.

8-   Eddie Abbew – We always forget about Eddie, but somehow, Eddie likes the early shows, and usually comes out in the best shape of the year at them. He placed 3rd at the Ironman a few years back, so I don’t doubt Eddie will be in the top 10.

9)   AD Cherry – He looked great when he won his pro card two years ago, but has not been able to look as good as he did. Still, I think this show AD will crack the top ten, and keep getting better and better.

10)   Marcus Haley – Marcus is going to surprise us, and get into the top 10 in the 27 man lineup. He is a small competitor, but the way I feel, his physique is going to make the judges happy, and they will reward him.

There are others who can make the top 10, including Ahmad Haidar, Omar Deckard, and DeShaun Grimez, and of course, anyone else who worked hard during the holidays, and will surprise us here. It always happens. See you at the 2009 Ironman!

cherrybody

• Pros
  • Getbig II
Re: Ironman 2009 - Ron Avidan's Top 10 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
Got my pro card 1 year and 2 months ago.Last show was Atlantic City . I will have the best abs ,smallest waist and a nice set of calves you might even call them COWS!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
AD - I want you higher, and prove me wrong! Toney Freeman kicked my ass at the Olympia, but then again, I am the only one who picked Moe to be in the top ten there too.  See you on Friday.

Lets see, other peoples picks...

Lift Studios... before Troy and JOJ entered

1. Moe El Moussawi:
2. Silvio Samuel:
3. Mark Dugdale:
4. Ahmad Haidar:
5. Marcus Haley:
6. Adorthus Cherry:
7. Hidetada Yamagishi:
8. Ronny Rockel:
9. Evgeny Mishin:
10. Eddie Abbew:

Brian Bullmans predictions... before Troy and JOJ entered

1. Silvio Samuel:
2. Mark Dugdale:
3. Ronnie Rockel:
4-5. Hidetada Yamagishi/AD Cherry:

Myron Miekle predictions... before Troy and JOJ entered

1st Place - Silvio Samuel
2nd Place - Ronny Rockel
3rd Place - Mark Dugdale
4th Place - Moe El Moussawi
5th Place - Marcus Haley
6th Place - Hidetada Yamagishi
7th Place - Ahmad Haidar
8th Place - Eddie Abbew
9th Place - Martin Kjellstrom
10th Place - A.D. Cherry

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
Rain at the Ironman...shocking

wasn't last year the first year there WASN'T rain on that weekend?

C
CD
M&F & FLEX

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
Another solid post is deleted. I was just trying to nudge him in the right direction as proper communication skills is key to future success.

Stavios

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
Marcus Haley is a "small" competitor ?

since when ?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
It rained three years in a row when it was in Pasadena (we even thought of making Ironman umbrellas), but the last two years (one at Pasadena, one at the LA Conv Center), it didnt rain.  So imagine my surprise when I looked at the forecast, and saw tonight that it is destined to rain Thursday, Saturday and a little Sunday.  

For those of you who are not from Los Angeles, it only rains usually less than 10 days a year.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:48 PM »
Marcus Haley is a "small" competitor ?

Ok, 220 pounds is not small, medium then.

cherrybody

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
AD - I want you higher, and prove me wrong! Toney Freeman kicked my ass at the Olympia, but then again, I am the only one who picked Moe to be in the top ten there too.  See you on Friday.

Lets see, other peoples picks...

Lift Studios... before Troy and JOJ entered

1. Moe El Moussawi:
2. Silvio Samuel:
3. Mark Dugdale:
4. Ahmad Haidar:
5. Marcus Haley:
6. Adorthus Cherry:
7. Hidetada Yamagishi:
8. Ronny Rockel:
9. Evgeny Mishin:
10. Eddie Abbew:

Brian Bullmans predictions... before Troy and JOJ entered

1. Silvio Samuel:
2. Mark Dugdale:
3. Ronnie Rockel:
4-5. Hidetada Yamagishi/AD Cherry:

Myron Miekle predictions... before Troy and JOJ entered

1st Place - Silvio Samuel
2nd Place - Ronny Rockel
3rd Place - Mark Dugdale
4th Place - Moe El Moussawi
5th Place - Marcus Haley
6th Place - Hidetada Yamagishi
7th Place - Ahmad Haidar
8th Place - Eddie Abbew
9th Place - Martin Kjellstrom
10th Place - A.D. Cherry

Im in no way complaining about being considered in the top 10. As a matter of fact I was surprised and inspired.
It's just my last comp was Atlantic City and everyone remembers the Arnold. every photo used to depict my physique is from the Arnold my worst look on stage in prob 5 years if not more...

hopefully i can beat abbew, kelstrom,and omar like at the atlantic city and i don't get beat by everyone who spanked me at the Arnold and Hide who got me at the Atlantic city.

I'm much better at this moment as I'm typing this than I was when i got my pro card and at the Atlantic city.
YES see ya Friday

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
I don't think Moe will beat Silvio.  I think he might give him a good fight though.

Alex23

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
I will make it this year, pretty excited about it; not "schmoe excited", just fan excited.

Flexingtonsteele are you making it down?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »
The weather is very nice here the week before the 2009 Ironman in Los Angeles.  For the last week, we have had 80 degree weather, and it is going to be that way also until Thursday, the weekend of the contest, where the forecasts call for rain.  Rain, in Los Angeles. Yes, it looks like that we may have a raincloud or two trying to wet itself on the convention center, where the 2009 Ironman and Fit Expo will be held.

This is the 20th year at the Ironman Pro Men’s bodybuilding contest, and it looks like the lineup is going to be a good one. Never mind the naysayers, who complain that some big names are not in this show. This lineup is just as good as in past years, and I, for one, am excited to see which names and surprises are going to be thrown at us this year.  You never know, but that does not stop me from making predictions. After all, I am taken away the title from Lonnie Teper from the past two years on making this predictions on the pro show (he will disagree with me, of course), and after a nice relaxing few weeks of holidays spirit, I am ready for the year. The top 5 here at this show are qualified to compete in the 2009 Olympia.

So who do we have competing this year. Here is the list that has been brought to our attention. It looks like 14 countries are being represented here. They are, in alphabetical order.

Eddie Abbew (England)
Troy Alves (USA)
Oliver Adzievski (Sweden)
Mohammad Bannout (Lebanon)
Thomas Bengali (Italy)
AD Cherry (USA)
Omar Deckard (USA)
Constantinos Demetriou (Australia)
Mark Dugdale (USA)
Tamer El-Guindy (Egypt)
Moe El Moussawi (New Zealand)
Oleg Emelyanov (Russia)
Aiman Faour (Lebanon)
DeShaun Grimez (USA)
Ahmad Haidar (Lebanon)
Marcus Haley (USA)
Johnnie Jackson (USA)
Martin Kjellstrom (Sweden)
Marc LaVoie (Canada)
Don Long (USA)
Daron Lytle (USA)
Caesar Mendible (Venezuela)
Evgeny Mishin (Russia)
Ronny Rockel (Germany)
Silvio Samuel (Spain)
Daniele Seccarecci (Italy), and
Hidetada Yamagishi (Japan)

So here goes, my top ten predictions.

1)   Moe El Moussawi.   Now Silvio is the man, the favorite in this contest, and some say that he will come in and win this show easily. I am not so sure.  Last year, Moe stunned the Ironman crowd by defeating Silvio here, causing Silvio to shake his head.  Silvio did come back and beat him at the Olympia, but this is a new year, and the question is, which one of these competitors can withstand the holiday season, and come back three weeks into January looking better than the other.  I have seen some pictures of Moe. He is ten pounds heavier than last year, and looks shredded. He is determined. He just may pull it off, and defeat Silvio here again, like last year. Only this time, there is no Phil Heath to block is path to the prize. Moe is flying in from New Zealand a week before the contest and will be ready.

2)   Silvio Samuel.   Silvio is amazing. No question about it. This guy enters contest after contest and never looks like he is out of shape. I think when I talk to people, Silvio is the one that they say will beat everyone who has entered this contest. Even in the offseason, Silvio looks great, so why is he in second. I don’t know. I just have this feeling that Moe might take it, and look for shredded.  Silvio, pound for pound, is bigger, stronger and more muscular, but in terms of being shredded, well… it is going to be a battle.

3)   Hidetada Yamagishi – Hide is hungry, coupled off the firestorm last year that derailed his career, and had him lose his contract and much more, in terms of respect from the Japanese people.  He was a Japanese hero, and his arrest was too much for some. Never the less, this is a new year, and he is determined to show everyone that he is in shape, that he can compete in the rank, and will qualify for the 2009 Olympia on the first contest of the year. After all, he is not currently competing at the 2009 Arnold, so this is his big change to show what he has.

4)   Johnnie Jackson –  Agreeing to compete on the last day of the deadline, Johnnie never looks bad, and is the strongest bodybuilder on stage. He knows he is in shape, his muscular and will not bore us as he should earn a trip to the 2009 Olympia.

5)   Troy Alves – Back look great, chest looks great, legs look good, but the hamstring and glutes. This is where placings are made, and will Troy be ready in terms of bringing the overall package this year. I think he will.  I spoke to Troy earlier this week, and he seem like he was spot on, and is excited to be competing again at the 2009 Ironman.

6)   Ronnie Rockel – Ronnie always comes in shape, and I know think this year won't be different.  Muscular, conditioned and just a good overall physique will catapult him in the top 10, but will he be able to get into the top 5 . I am not so sure, judging by the deep lineup we have now.

7)   Mark Dugdale – For some reason, I feel that Mark, to me, as some of the deepest respect in bodybuilding. A full time job, married with three little girls, great family values, how do you get in shape for a contest. Still, it has to be tough, and Mark usually is in that spot between being a smaller bodybuilder or trying to pack on size and lose some symmetry by being a heavier bodybuilder. I hope Mark does well here, he is one of the nicest competitors out there.

8-   Eddie Abbew – We always forget about Eddie, but somehow, Eddie likes the early shows, and usually comes out in the best shape of the year at them. He placed 3rd at the Ironman a few years back, so I don’t doubt Eddie will be in the top 10.

9)   AD Cherry – He looked great when he won his pro card two years ago, but has not been able to look as good as he did. Still, I think this show AD will crack the top ten, and keep getting better and better.

10)   Marcus Haley – Marcus is going to surprise us, and get into the top 10 in the 27 man lineup. He is a small competitor, but the way I feel, his physique is going to make the judges happy, and they will reward him.

There are others who can make the top 10, including Ahmad Haidar, Omar Deckard, and DeShaun Grimez, and of course, anyone else who worked hard during the holidays, and will surprise us here. It always happens. See you at the 2009 Ironman!

The Ironman is more interesting as a qualifier for bigger shows. The caliber of competitors is usually much lower than at the big shows, like the Arnold and Olympia. The only physique to win the Ironman that truly impressed me was Wheeler's back in 93'. Flex looked his absolute best there, even better than he did at the Arnold.

SUCKMYMUSLE

Alex23

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
  The Ironman is more interesting as a qualifier for bigger shows. The caliber of competitors is usually much lower than at the big shows, like the Arnold and Olympia. The only physique to win the Ironman that truly impressed me was Wheeler's back in 93'. Flex looked his absolute best there, even better than he did at the Arnold.

SUCKMYMUSLE

How's the gym altercation business going bro?

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:51 AM »

is this the moe guy who was suppose to be a better pro than phil?  didnt he have a pec or some kind of tear?  he doesnt look 5'9" to me.  are there any pics of him and phil side-side?
Oh...Monica!

spinnis

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »
Got my pro card 1 year and 2 months ago.Last show was Atlantic City . I will have the best abs ,smallest waist and a nice set of calves you might even call them COWS!

BOOM  ;D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »
I will make it this year, pretty excited about it; not "schmoe excited", just fan excited.

Flexingtonsteele are you making it down?

Good job at making the distinction....

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »
I think Ron had someone proofread and/or write that for him. I only noticed one real typo- usually Ron's posts are full of incorrect spellings, typos and mistakes of any kind.

Excellent job Ron!!! I guess those classes are paying off! :p

AD- I'm sure you've answered this elsewhere, but how come you were so far off at the Arnold? Some speculate you were out of shape and still needed to fulfill a contract obligation...or of course others thought maybe you did something different with your your supplementation and didn't know how your body would respond. Maybe you were just tired?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:01 AM »
MOE is following same path as gustavo,few yrs back good build but was a non contender then like badell bam gets right stuff together and has pro size and finish and now is a top contender in the smaller shows and could break in mr o placings top 6 possibly.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:44 AM »
The Ironman is more interesting as a qualifier for bigger shows. The caliber of competitors is usually much lower than at the big shows, like the Arnold and Olympia.

Well - the Arnold is an invite top 15 class with $100K in prize money and a huge show. The Olympia are competitors who have earned their way to that show, and is the #1 event out there.

The Ironman is a top class show after taking out these two contests.  It is probably the best smaller show out there, since it is in Los Angeles and the first show of the year. And of course, it is my hometown.

I think Ron had someone proofread and/or write that for him. I only noticed one real typo- usually Ron's posts are full of incorrect spellings, typos and mistakes of any kind. Excellent job Ron!!! I guess those classes are paying off!

Ha - I got just as much emails regarding how bad it is vs how good it is. No one helps me, I couldn't even find the crystal ball that I had (I think my kids broke it), nor the magic eight ball (which sometimes works), nor the Ouija board (which scares me now after an incident). Funny how people complain, but the ones that complain never put out their own predictions. Reminds me of the person who complains on how out of shape some of these bodybuilders are while sitting in front of the computer screen drinking a beer with their shirt hanging out.

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:37 AM »

You call 10th place a reward for Marcus Haley? Come on Ron, he will be in the 230's and will make a bigger splash than that. Did you see the pics he sent me two weeks out? -

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2009_marcus_haley_iron_man_interview.htm

See you in a few
Deputy Editor

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »
ahh don't you love the humility of bodybuilders. ::)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 08:26:27 AM »
1. Moe
2. Dugdale
3. Rockel
4. Silvio
5. Hide
L

cherrybody

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
ahh don't you love the humility of bodybuilders. ::)

I particularly care more about the facts, perhaps you mistake my 15th place at the Atlantic City as bragging!
All my statements were facts correcting what was wrongly written.

I'm a humble person but this is my life so If your going to talk about my life let's talk about the facts. It's funny people think they can predict the outcome of an event based on looks and you haven't even seen what 90% of the guy's look like.

We're all pro's isn't this like football except on any given Sunday its on any given Saturday ;)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »
I particularly care more about the facts,perhaps you mistake my 15th place at the Atlantic City as bragging!
All my statements were facts correcting what was wrongly written.
I'm a humble person but this is my life so If your going to talk about my life let's talk about the facts.
It's funny people think they can predict the outcome of an event based on looks and you haven't even seen what 90% of the guy's look like.
We're all pro's isn't this like football ecept on any given Sunday its on any given Saturday ;)
funny how you weren't so confident and proud of when you came into the Arnold Classic looking tiny and soft with what loked like 14 inch arms and zero leg mass. ::)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »
It's funny people think they can predict the outcome of an event based on looks and you haven't even seen what 90% of the guy's look like.

You can't, but it is fun!   If I were that good, I would of predicted Arizona to be in the Superbowl. The odds were 40-1 about a month ago. You never know, which makes it all that more interesting.  See you at the Ironman! I need some good pics!