Author Topic: I am specky...  (Read 13532 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: I am specky...
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
I was listening to the Adam Carolla radio show a while back, and he was talking about how he applied to be a fire fighter when he was a younger guy.

Anyway, he was on a 3 year waiting list before finally being called up to test. There was a 110 pound black girl in the line waiting with him, and he asked her, "how long have you being waiting to get called up?" She said, "oh, I applied last month".

:D

LOL the first time i took the physical test, it was at least 110 degrees. We were on the verge of death and these bitches were sitting down sipping water and got double the time to complete the tasks, which were pussified for them.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
It definitley helps IMO. Any retard can pass the written test, i'm living proof of that ;D. A lot of guys who did better than me on the written test, bombed the physical portion and are still waiting appointment. My boulder shoulders and t rex legs helped. ;D

from what i heard from someone who applied the physical tests involve running and rolling the hose out etc and very specific type tests.

In general unless its an elite group/army etc the physical tests will prob be like minute mile in less than 8 mins. 9mins for girls ...maybe i am wrong.

I cant get much info on this from their website. Might drop them an email

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
To confirm lol....

i asked if being specky would make me unable to become a fireman...

I also said i stand a good chance being accepted as police...kinda like affirmative action here regarding the police.

Also i am no superhero but pick 20 guys at random in street. I would be on average at least in top 10 in terms of intelligence and strength/fitness.

To clarify i am not claiming to be a genuis or superhero

I assume 'specky' means Catholic?

Take some fire science courses or something if you're serious about it. That will put you ahead of the pack.

That will look better than saying, "hey, I'm Goudy; not only am I fit, I'd be top 10 intelligence-wise amongst 20 random guys on the street."

You'd be better off a fire fighter than a policeman - I say that based on the personality you present here, and also just as a general opinion.
☠ Order of Nephilim

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I assume 'specky' means catholic?

Take some fire science courses or something.

That will look better than saying, "hey, I'm Goudy; not only am I fit, I'd be top 10 intelligence-wise amongst 20 random guys on the street."

You'd be better off a fire fighter than a policeman - I say that based on the personality you present here, and also just as a general opinion.
i think it means he wears glasses.

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »
i think it means he wears glasses.

Hahaha.

I thought it was some weird Irish slang.
☠ Order of Nephilim

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
the problem with police is that the moral part of the job is so important that if you arent raised with this deepy embeded in your brain it's almost impossible to understand what it takes to be a real 24/7 cop.

I remember some mates who thought that the slightest mark of humour or wittiness (spelling?) wouldnt hurt, they got badly suprised in the long run. They just couldnt stand the paramilitary way of life you had to sustain while in school for 4 months.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
from what i heard from someone who applied the physical tests involve running and rolling the hose out etc and very specific type tests.

In general unless its an elite group/army etc the physical tests will prob be like minute mile in less than 8 mins. 9mins for girls ...maybe i am wrong.

I cant get much info on this from their website. Might drop them an email
This is what we had to do..

1)   Stair Climb:  This event simulates continuous stair climbing, an activity that firefighters may perform when getting to a fire at an incident scene.  For this event, you will be required to step on a rotating stair case (also known as a stepmill) at a pre-determined stepping pace for a specific period of time.  You will get a 5 minute rest period after this event.  The required time to remain on the stepmill is 200 seconds.

2)   Ladder Event:  This event simulates various activities related to using ladders.  You will be required to remove a ladder from a rack, carry it some distance, raise a weight of approximately 45 lbs.  attached to a rope that simulates the raising of an extension ladder, lower that weight and return the ladder to the rack from which it was taken.  The event ends when the ladder is back in the rack.  The time limit is 35.56 seconds.

3)   Hose Advance:  This event simulates the actions necessary to manipulate a fully charged fire hose.  You will be required to pull 50 feet of hose through a U-shaped course with several turns.  There will be a ceiling on the U-shaped course to prevent you from standing upright.  The time limit is 20.00 seconds.

4)   Forcible Entry:  This event simulates breaking down a door to gain entry to a burning structure or an incident scene.  For this event you will be required to strike a rubber pad mounted on a moveable post.  You will use a 12 lb.  sledge hammer to move the post a set distance.  The post and structure are weighted to simulate the force you would need to exert on a door in order to gain entrance.  The time limit is 13.91 seconds.

5)   Search:  This event simulates the actions necessary to enter and search a smoke-filled structure.  You will be required to crawl through a dark wooden tunnel with obstructions and turns.  The tunnel is approximately 65 feet long.  The tunnel is 4 feet high and 4 feet wide.  At one location in the tunnel there is an obstacle on the floor and at one location there is an obstacle from the ceiling.  In addition, at two locations, the tunnel is reduced from 4 to 3 feet in width.  The time limit is 39.00 seconds.

6)   Rescue Through a Doorway:  This event simulates the actions necessary to drag an unconscious victim out through a doorway to get the victim to safety.  You will be required to drag a 125 pound dummy approximately 50 feet, along a zigzag course to a designated area at the end of the course.  In this event, there is a low ceiling over the course to prevent you from standing upright.  The time limit is 36.00 seconds.

7)   Ceiling Hook (Pike Pole):  This event simulates the use of a pike pole or ceiling hook.  A pike pole or ceiling hook is a firefighting tool used to tear down ceilings or open walls while looking for hidden fires.  This event will require you to take a pike pole, tipped with an industrial hammer head, and thrust it upward at a metal plate in an 8 foot ceiling.  The metal plate weighs approximately 60 lbs. and must be lifted six inches in order for the strike to count.  You will then step over to the next part of the event, where a pike pole handle is suspended from a ceiling height.  The pole is attached to a counter balance that weighs approximately 80 lbs.  You must pull the pole down six inches in order for the pull to count.  You will be required to perform one push and five pulls in a sequence.  The event will require you to perform four one-minute periods of work, in which you will try to do as many push-pull sequences as possible.  Each work period will be followed by a 30 second rest period.  You must complete 25 full repetitions.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »
the problem with police is that the moral part of the job is so important that if you arent raised with this deepy embeded in your brain it's almost impossible to understand what it takes to be a real 24/7 cop.
translation= when you undressed to undergo the police physical and the doctor saw your pathetic skinny 141 pound body he laughed you out of the place. :D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
I assume 'specky' means catholic?

Take some fire science courses or something if your serious about it. That will put you ahead of the pack.

haha.

The issue with police is that they are distrusted still. It is changing very slowly. They still dont come into many catholic areas. For years the IRA etc unofficially policed areas, including mine and dealth with crimes via punishment beatings shootings etc...(obviously exceptions murder rape etc serious crimes dealth by real police) My issue is that in my area if people found out some wankers (minority) would maybe try to paint bomb the house or throw shit at windows cause my dad grief

My dad is 61. He is not able for that shit anymore especially as he had a pacemaker fitted.

Can i just ask what do you mean my personality i present here...just interested

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
translation= when you undressed to undergo the police physical and the doctor saw your pathetic skinny 141 pound body he laughed you out of the place. :D
funny you mention that, i was one of the most if not the most muscular guy in my promotion at 175lbs  :o... keep in mind it's in france, not in the US  so bodybuilding and all that stuff isnt near as widely spread there than in north america.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
funny you mention that, i was one of the most if not the most muscular guy in my promotion at 175lbs  :o... keep in mind it's in france, not in the US  so bodybuilding and all that stuff isnt near as widely spread there than in north america.
hahahahaha, 175 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow. ;D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
This is what we had to do..

1)   Stair Climb:  This event simulates continuous stair climbing, an activity that firefighters may perform when getting to a fire at an incident scene.  For this event, you will be required to step on a rotating stair case (also known as a stepmill) at a pre-determined stepping pace for a specific period of time.  You will get a 5 minute rest period after this event.  The required time to remain on the stepmill is 200 seconds.

2)   Ladder Event:  This event simulates various activities related to using ladders.  You will be required to remove a ladder from a rack, carry it some distance, raise a weight of approximately 45 lbs.  attached to a rope that simulates the raising of an extension ladder, lower that weight and return the ladder to the rack from which it was taken.  The event ends when the ladder is back in the rack.  The time limit is 35.56 seconds.

3)   Hose Advance:  This event simulates the actions necessary to manipulate a fully charged fire hose.  You will be required to pull 50 feet of hose through a U-shaped course with several turns.  There will be a ceiling on the U-shaped course to prevent you from standing upright.  The time limit is 20.00 seconds.

4)   Forcible Entry:  This event simulates breaking down a door to gain entry to a burning structure or an incident scene.  For this event you will be required to strike a rubber pad mounted on a moveable post.  You will use a 12 lb.  sledge hammer to move the post a set distance.  The post and structure are weighted to simulate the force you would need to exert on a door in order to gain entrance.  The time limit is 13.91 seconds.

5)   Search:  This event simulates the actions necessary to enter and search a smoke-filled structure.  You will be required to crawl through a dark wooden tunnel with obstructions and turns.  The tunnel is approximately 65 feet long.  The tunnel is 4 feet high and 4 feet wide.  At one location in the tunnel there is an obstacle on the floor and at one location there is an obstacle from the ceiling.  In addition, at two locations, the tunnel is reduced from 4 to 3 feet in width.  The time limit is 39.00 seconds.

6)   Rescue Through a Doorway:  This event simulates the actions necessary to drag an unconscious victim out through a doorway to get the victim to safety.  You will be required to drag a 125 pound dummy approximately 50 feet, along a zigzag course to a designated area at the end of the course.  In this event, there is a low ceiling over the course to prevent you from standing upright.  The time limit is 36.00 seconds.

7)   Ceiling Hook (Pike Pole):  This event simulates the use of a pike pole or ceiling hook.  A pike pole or ceiling hook is a firefighting tool used to tear down ceilings or open walls while looking for hidden fires.  This event will require you to take a pike pole, tipped with an industrial hammer head, and thrust it upward at a metal plate in an 8 foot ceiling.  The metal plate weighs approximately 60 lbs. and must be lifted six inches in order for the strike to count.  You will then step over to the next part of the event, where a pike pole handle is suspended from a ceiling height.  The pole is attached to a counter balance that weighs approximately 80 lbs.  You must pull the pole down six inches in order for the pull to count.  You will be required to perform one push and five pulls in a sequence.  The event will require you to perform four one-minute periods of work, in which you will try to do as many push-pull sequences as possible.  Each work period will be followed by a 30 second rest period.  You must complete 25 full repetitions.

That is actually very useful mate. Thanks for that good post.

Maybe i am hearing bullshit stories filtering down but that indeed looks and would be very challenging! I am def gonna investigate this shit more.

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
Can i just ask what do you mean my personality i present here...just interested

You seem to enjoy fraternising, working out, gym environment, etc...

That's what fire fighters do after they get through training.

It's better than being a police officer for your personal reasons, and also just because it's a better(easier) job.
☠ Order of Nephilim

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »
You seem to enjoy fraternising, working out, gym environment, etc...

That's what fire fighters do after they get through training.

It's better than being a police officer for your personal reasons, and also just because it's a better(easier) job.

ah cool.

i do enjoy that...very perceptive. I know i want to do something honourable and worthwhile just hard to work out what

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
That is actually very useful mate. Thanks for that good post.

Maybe i am hearing bullshit stories filtering down but that indeed looks and would be very challenging! I am def gonna investigate this shit more.
Again, I don't know how different the test is where you are. TBH the first time i took it, i came in with the attitude i would ace it and blow everyone away but it knocked th shit out of me. It's a lot harder than it looks. We had to wear a 50lb vest while doing it to simulate all the gear and weren't allowed to take it off.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »
ah cool. i def need to look into this more and learn from mistakes others made so i dont have to make them.

cheers bud

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »
ah cool. i def need to look into this more and learn from mistakes others made so i dont have to make them.

cheers bud
good luck man. It's a great job, i hope you get on somewhere eventually.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
cheers bud, thanks again

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »
The initial training as a fire fighter is no doubt tough, but once you get through that it's smooth sailing.

I knew someone that applied to be a police officer; they ask you all sorts of funny, unpleasant questions - under polygraph:

"Have you every had sex with animals?"

Seriously.  ;D

☠ Order of Nephilim

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
ah cool.

i do enjoy that...very perceptive. I know i want to do something honourable and worthwhile just hard to work out what

It sounds a bit utopian.

But one thing is sure you have to be very sociable and enjoy fraternity cause once you're in, it's your whole life. 24/7. All friends,relationships, are related to it.

Again that's why i said those who have the best chances to be succesful in tests and  in school/at work are those who have been raised by a parent who is already in the know.

People who work as cops or firemen are different from all other people in the society. They don't even consider themselves as part of it,somehow.

Again, I don't know how different the test is where you are. TBH the first time i took it, i came in with the attitude i would ace it and blow everyone away but it knocked th shit out of me. It's a lot harder than it looks. We had to wear a 50lb vest while doing it to simulate all the gear and weren't allowed to take it off.

QFT.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »
It sounds a bit utopian.

But one thing is sure you have to be very sociable and enjoy fraternity cause once you're in, it's your whole life. 24/7. All friends,relationships, are related to it.

Again that's why i said those who have the best chances to be succesful in tests and  in school/at work are those who have been raised by a parent who is already in the know.

People who work as cops or firemen are different from all other people in the society. They don't even consider themselves as part of it,somehow.

QFT.

haha i dont mena lik "i want to save the world hippy bullshit"

I mean i wanna do something other than push a pen around a page in a stuffy office for 40 years (unless i am nailing a hot secretary everyday)

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
haha i dont mena lik "i want to save the world hippy bullshit"

I mean i wanna do something other than push a pen around a page in a stuffy office for 40 years (unless i am nailing a hot secretary everyday)
well i'll say it again, you're not alone. So you'd better be humble and put all the bullshits aside before trying to get into this.

And why not the Military then ?  I guess you already thought about it but decided it would be "too demanding" ?

btw , depending of the region/province/state, only 30 out of 1500 candidates get selected in france for each promotion every year (to become fireman).

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
not at all.

I would like to have a family etc and be with them growing up.

Also i am a homebird.

Military would also cause probs but it never appealed to me to be honest