Author Topic: top ranked boxer vs. best MMA fighters who wins  (Read 19600 times)

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
Re: top ranked boxer vs. best MMA fighters who wins
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »
[youtube][http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MqBZ_x_3w/youtube]

every boxer in this video has made more in one year than any MMA fighter has made in there entire career.even the old boxers from way back made more $...so..If MMA fighters are Superior why not go make some real money?

So what? More boxers beating other boxers.

It doesn't matter if they make more money, because it's already been proven that they lose to fighters from more versatile styles.
☠ Order of Nephilim

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 11:16:39 PM »

every boxer in this video has made more in one year than any MMA fighter has made in there entire career.even the old boxers from way back made more $...so..If MMA fighters are Superior why not go make some real money?

are we comparing earnings now  ???
money and superiority in FIGHTING are two different things.
I don't think bill gates can even throw a jab..... ::)

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »
are we comparing earnings now  ???
money and superiority in FIGHTING are two different things.
I don't think bill gates can even throw a jab..... ::)

Grasping at straws.
☠ Order of Nephilim

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »
agreed.but If I'm fighting multiple people I would prefer a boxing pedigree.listen I love MMA and watch the sport way more than boxing these days.but most of you guys are underestimating what an average boxer is capable of.let alone an Olympic caliber boxer.or a pro.

Absolutely. I've said this before in another thread that started the same arguement.

A boxer spends years honing his ability to punch hard and fast. All that training leaves a very strong impression even after the boxer stops training. The disparity between damage average trained boxer can do when compared with the average Joe is huge.

Average joe punch - getting hit by a wiffle ball bat
Average boxer - baseball bat.

MMA fighters include boxing in their training but its part of their overall arsenal. An MMA fighter is better able to adapt to a real fight situation since he's trained in a number of aspects in the fight game and not just one.

James Phoenix

• Getbig IV
  • Beatific
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
The point of this thread is to determine whether boxers are better than fighters with a diverse skill set.

Well such matches have happened, and every time those matches happen, the boxers lose.

MMA>Grapplers>Strikers

CASE CLOSED

☠ Order of Nephilim

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:06 AM »
bodybuilders would destroy them all

;D ;D ;D

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Street fight? Just challenge BJ Penn, "Hell yeah, thought you'd never ask."

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2009, 06:22:11 AM »
Fedor > Everyone.

Not only Sambo but Judo as well and has even outstruck CroCop when he faced him. Sambo has a distinct advantage over jui-juitsu because of the latter's lack of leg submissions.

Only thing boxers have is excellent hand speed therefore a puncher's chance in knocking out an MMA guy who would obviously try and take it to the ground. Extremely large heavyweight boxers such as the Klitschko bros use their jab to keep the distance of their opponents. But grappling, they'd have no hope.

The Jayhawker

• Getbig II
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2009, 06:53:52 AM »

If you watch a lot of MMA fights you'll see that only most fighters want to naturally stand up and swing at each other. Look at the fight between Evans and Griffin. That was a glorified kickboxing match. In fact if you look at Evans he never submitted an opponent and is 13-0-1. And you could argue that tie all day.

I think it's human nature to want to stand and fight not take someone down. If you take into account plus the ego of a fighter and in my opinion you'll end up with a stand up fight. I've met my fair share of fighters and ALL of them want to knock out the other guy as a first option.

But it's like it's been said. If the fight is under boxing rules the boxer wins that majority of the time. If it's MMA rules and the MMA fighter chooses to NOT let it be a stand up fight then the MMA fighter wins the majority of the time. If the MMA fighter tries to prove something and doesn't take the fight to the ground then your going to more or less have a boxing match in an MMA ring, and a boxing match is for boxers.
J

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
does anyone actually know what MMA stands for

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS       so your all comparing apples to oranges.

chuck liddel against mike tyson and tyson will go to sleep the end

As for top earners int he UFC they are making millions each year off endorsments contracts alone. 

ali and foreman barely made that in their careers

I

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »
MMA rules MMA guy should win every time. I dont think too many boxers can counteract head kicks, joint locks and take downs.
 Boxing rules, it depends on the MMA fighter. Obviously a submission artist with nominal striking would get killed, but a superior striker would have a chance at winning.

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:25 AM »
does anyone actually know what MMA stands for

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS       so your all comparing apples to oranges.

chuck liddel against mike tyson and tyson will go to sleep the end

As for top earners int he UFC they are making millions each year off endorsments contracts alone. 

ali and foreman barely made that in their careers

hey retard, ever heard of time value of money?  ali and foreman were paid like 5 million to fight their rumble in the jungle fight, which in todays terms is equivalent to close to 20+ million

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »
Fedor > Everyone.

Not only Sambo but Judo as well and has even outstruck CroCop when he faced him. Sambo has a distinct advantage over jui-juitsu because of the latter's lack of leg submissions.

Only thing boxers have is excellent hand speed therefore a puncher's chance in knocking out an MMA guy who would obviously try and take it to the ground. Extremely large heavyweight boxers such as the Klitschko bros use their jab to keep the distance of their opponents. But grappling, they'd have no hope.

WTF are you on about? BJJ has leg locks you dope.

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »

Big pay days are coming, the Top UFC guys  will make millions this year. MMA has only been mainstreem in North America for 3-4 years at most. How big were boxing pay days in there first years of existance?
shotgun on the team

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 09:49:34 AM »
WTF are you on about? BJJ has leg locks you dope.

Sambo leg locks > BJJ leg locks.

Many BJJ tounries dont even allow leg locks.
shotgun on the team

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
Sambo leg locks > BJJ leg locks.

Many BJJ tounries dont even allow leg locks.

::)

A leg lock is leg lock. There's nothing magical about a heel hook or a knee bar. In MMA you see BJJ guys going for the legs regularly. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen Fedor going for a leg.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »
This is a moot point, and was settled years ago.  Boxers are the best at boxing, period.  Having 0 takedown defense means you will be on your back and if you don't train subs and sub defense, you are screwed.  So under boxing rules, boxer wins.  Under unified MMA rules MMA wins. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
This is a moot point, and was settled years ago.  Boxers are the best at boxing, period.  Having 0 takedown defense means you will be on your back and if you don't train subs and sub defense, you are screwed.  So under boxing rules, boxer wins.  Under unified MMA rules MMA wins. 

x2 agreed it comes down to the rule's
DAWG

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
x2 agreed it comes down to the rule's

Yes and with the minimum amount of rules, ie closest to a fight, the MMA guy has a distinct advantage.

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:03 AM »
hey retard, ever heard of time value of money?  ali and foreman were paid like 5 million to fight their rumble in the jungle fight, which in todays terms is equivalent to close to 20+ million

Using that formula the biggest payday was the second Dempsey-Tunney fight.Both fighter were paid 1 million dollars.A tidy sum now.A colossal sum in 1929 adjusting for inflation and the low taxes of the period.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »
Yes and with the minimum amount of rules, ie closest to a fight, the MMA guy has a distinct advantage.

yes maybe.but I'll tell yea.there's no rules in a bar brawl.and If I was in one I wouldn't care to be any good at say BBJ.I'd want to be the best striker in the bar.If I'm facing multiple people in a fight give me the boxing skills.
and as far as the people saying I was grasping at straws with the money earning.Man if anyone of you had a chance to make in ONE night what you were looking to make your intire career you wouldn't do it?please.
DAWG

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
This is ancient.

It was already settled way back in UFC#1.

The pure Jiu-Jitsu fighter beat the boxer without so much as a scratch.

Even ninjas beat boxers apparently:

Francois Botha was a pretty good boxer(he went 10 or 12 rounds with Tyson, and had him beat on points before being knocked out).
Well his record as a kickboxer was like 2-10. And his two victories were over guys with injuries.

So boxing is a great skill, as part of a larger skill set, but it doesn't do well in single-style vs. single-style matches.
It's too 1-dimensional.

Tyson KOd Botha in the fifth round in 1996.Tyson was on the downward slope then.If any boxer could make the transition to MMA it would be Mike in his prime (1986-88)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »
Tyson KOd him in the fifth round in 1996.Tyson was on the downward slope then.If any boxer could make the transition to MMA it would be Mike in his prime (1986-88)

exactly.and everyone keeps talking about a boxer making the transition to MMA.instead of an MMA fighter making the transition to Boxing.
DAWG

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2009, 01:34:07 PM »
yes maybe.but I'll tell yea.there's no rules in a bar brawl.and If I was in one I wouldn't care to be any good at say BBJ.I'd want to be the best striker in the bar.If I'm facing multiple people in a fight give me the boxing skills.
and as far as the people saying I was grasping at straws with the money earning.Man if anyone of you had a chance to make in ONE night what you were looking to make your intire career you wouldn't do it?please.

What about takedown defence?
shotgun on the team

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
::)

A leg lock is leg lock. There's nothing magical about a heel hook or a knee bar. In MMA you see BJJ guys going for the legs regularly. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen Fedor going for a leg.

Right, and a strike is a strike, so there no difference between Muay Thai and Tae Kwon do, according to your brilliant logic.

Oleg Taktorov was a master of leg locks.

IMO Sambo > BJJ as Sambo covers everything, BJJ has little focus on leg locks.
shotgun on the team