Author Topic: Is anybody else already looking at mock drafts for the NFL?  (Read 17623 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Is anybody else already looking at mock drafts for the NFL?
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
 :-\

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: Is anybody else already looking at mock drafts for the NFL?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:46:39 AM »

yes

I knew I could count on you ;D

alot of the mocks have a good lb falling all the way to us,Cushing or Lauranaitis.

body88

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:07 AM »

I knew I could count on you ;D

alot of the mocks have a good lb falling all the way to us,Cushing or Lauranaitis.

Check out Mayocs top 5 prospects at each position.  Mayoc is legit. The bolded players are players I would like to see the pats getting. They have a slew of pics and this is a deep draft.

*Matthew Stafford Georgia
2 *Mark Sanchez Southern California
3 *Josh Freeman Kansas State
4 Nate Davis Ball State
5 Rhett Bomar Sam Houston State

Running backs
1 *Chris Wells Ohio State
2 *Knowshon Moreno Georgia
3 *LeSean McCoy Pittsburgh
4 *Donald Brown Connecticut
5 *Shonn Green Iowa

Fullback
1 Tony Fiammetta Syracuase
2 Quinn Johnson LSU
3 Brannan Southerland Georgia

Wide receivers
1 *Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
2 *Jeremy Maclin Missouri
3 *Darrius Heyward-Bey Maryland
4 *Kenny Britt Rutgers
5 *Percy Harvin Florida

Tight ends
1 Brandon Pettigrew Oklahoma State
2 Cornelius Ingram Florida
3 *James Casey Rice
4 Travis Beckum Wisconsin
5 Chase Coffman Missouri

Centers
1 Eric Wood Louisville
2 Max Unger Oregon
3 Alex Mack California
4 A.Q. Shipley Penn State
5 Jonathan Luigs Arkansas

Guards
1 Andy Levitre Oregon State
2 Duke Robinson Oklahoma
3 Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
4 Herman Johnson LSU
5 Roger Allen Missouri Western State

Offensive tackles
1 Jason Smith Baylor
2 Eugene Monroe Virginia
3 *Andre Smith Alabama
4 Michael Oher Mississippi
5 *Eben Britton Arizona

Defensive ends
Rk Player School
1 Brian Orakpo (can play OLB in 3-4) Texas
2 *Everette Brown (OLB) Florida State
3 Tyson Jackson LSU
4 *Aaron Maybin (OLB) Penn State
5 Larry English (OLB) Northern Illinois

Defensive tackles
1 B.J. Raji Boston College
2 Peria Jerry Mississippi
3 Ron Brace Boston College
4 Fili Moala Southern California
5 Evander 'Ziggy' Hood Missouri

Inside linebackers
1 Rey Maualuga Southern California
2 James Laurinaitis Ohio State
3 Darry Beckwith LSU
4 Dannell Ellerbe Georgia
5 Jason Phillips Texas Christian

Outside linebackers
1 Aaron Curry Wake Forest
2 Brian Cushing Southern California
3 Clint Sintim Virginia
4 Clay Matthews Southern California
5 Marcus Freeman Ohio State

Safeties
1 Rashad Johnson Alabama
2 William Moore Missouri
3 Louis Delmas Western Michigan
4 Patrick Chung Oregon
5 Michael Hamlin Clemson

Cornerbacks
1 Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
2 *Vontae Davis Illinois
3 Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
4 *D.J. Moore Vanderbilt
5 *Sean Smith Utah

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »
Uconn has come a long way.they might have a RB,DB,and a O-lineman go in the first three rounds.

Supposedly Britt has the Giants attention as a Plaxico replacement.

B.J. Raji was called the most dominant d-player at the senior bowl practices.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
I've listened to Mayoc and he does not impress me. 

Haven't started looking at mocks, but have been paying attention to the Senior Bowl. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
no i'm looking forward to the super bowl 8)

E
E

body88

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
I've listened to Mayoc and he does not impress me. 

Haven't started looking at mocks, but have been paying attention to the Senior Bowl. 

Mayoc is always the most informed and educated draftnick year after year.  He made a lot of great picks last year, but as a whole, it's almost impossible to be accurate with picks; he is dead on with his top five year after year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
Mayoc is always the most informed and educated draftnick year after year.  He made a lot of great picks last year, but as a whole, it's almost impossible to be accurate with picks; he is dead on with his top five year after year.

He is informed and educated on the players he chooses to follow.  He was interviewed by one of our local reporters last year and was absolutely clueless when asked about players who were outside of his small world. 

I didn't follow his mocks, so I don't have an opinion on his predictions.   

body88

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »
He is informed and educated on the players he chooses to follow.  He was interviewed by one of our local reporters last year and was absolutely clueless when asked about players who were outside of his small world. 

I didn't follow his mocks, so I don't have an opinion on his predictions.   

Mayoc spent time on Hawaii last year.  Also, no Hawaii players where top talent last year.  As I said Brennen went way later than the first round, and most of their skill players fizzle in the NFL.  The kid who plays for Miami is decent, but def not a top wr.  Colt may be good one day....only time will tell.

Mayoc does a great job, imo.  There are several players on that list from "small" schools.  Hawaii players dont get much love because they play in the WAC.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »

Mayoc spent time on Hawaii last year.  Also, no Hawaii players where top talent last year.  As I said Brennen went way later than the first round, and most of their skill players fizzle in the NFL.  The kid who plays for Miami is decent, but def not a top wr.  Colt may be good one day....only time will tell.

Mayoc does a great job, imo.  There are several players on that list from "small" schools.  Hawaii players dont get much love because they play in the WAC.

He did not spend time on Hawaii last year.  Where are you getting that from?  Maybe he educated himself after I heard him speak, but the guy had no clue when I listened to him. 

I don't think you know much about Hawaii players and what they do/have done in the NFL, but I'm more than happy to share info.   :D 

You dissing Davone Bess?  lol.  Are you kidding?  He started as an undrafted rookie FA.  You should read up on him.  Absolute steal.  Had a second round grade and went undrafted.  I have to assume you've never watched him play.  He's going to have a long NFL career.   

I doubt Mayoc pegged any of the many Hawaii players who are playing in the pros.  I bet if you asked him about David Veikune today he'd either give an uninformed opinion or a blank stare.  Same with Ryan Mouton.  About the only player he probably read a line or two about is Jake Ingram.   ::)

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
He did not spend time on Hawaii last year.  Where are you getting that from?  Maybe he educated himself after I heard him speak, but the guy had no clue when I listened to him. 
He was right on the money on virtually all of his critiques of players.  I watched the whole combine and he was awesome!

http://I don't think you know much about Hawaii players and what they do/have done in the NFL, but I'm more than happy to share info.   :D
I do. I told you Brennen would not sniff the first round last year, and he didn't.  I think you had him going in the first.

You dissing Davone Bess?  lol.  Are you kidding?  He started as an undrafted rookie FA.  You should read up on him.  Absolute steal.  Had a second round grade and went undrafted.  I have to assume you've never watched him play.  He's going to have a long NFL career.   
Wes Welker was a UDFA who has just had his second 1000+ yard season (in the slot) and was just named to the probowl.  Thats a steal, there are plenty of guys like Bess around the NFL.  A good not great wr who will have a long career on many teams. Since Miami is in the AFC east I might have seen a thing or two. He's not special, he's good, just like many other players.   

Where did you get the draft grade for Bess?

I doubt Mayoc pegged any of the many Hawaii players who are playing in the pros.  I bet if you asked him about David Veikune today he'd either give an uninformed opinion or a blank stare.  Same with Ryan Mouton.  About the only player he probably read a line or two about is Jake Ingram.   ::)

Mayoc talked about Hawaii players a lot last year, but there was not much to talk about.  No one thought Brennen would go in round 1.  Terrible senior bowl.  Mayoc has done an amazing job for many years and he is extremely accurate.   Hawaii does not produce even close to the amount of good pros as most every other major college program, so why would he spend a ton of time talking about Hawaii players (who play in an inferior devision), when there are hundreds of players who play in top flight divisions?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »
He was right on the money on virtually all of his critiques of players.  I watched the whole combine and he was awesome!
I do. I told you Brennen would not sniff the first round last year, and he didn't.  I think you had him going in the first.
Wes Welker was a UDFA who has just had his second 1000+ yard season (in the slot) and was just named to the probowl.  Thats a steal, there are plenty of guys like Bess around the NFL.  A good not great wr who will have a long career. Since Miami is in the AFC east I might have seen a thing or two. He's not special, he's good, just like many other players.

Mayoc talked about Hawaii players a lot last year, but there was not much to talk about.  No one thought Brennen would go in round 1.  Terrible senior bowl.  Mayoc has done an amazing job for many years and he is extremely accurate.   Hawaii does not produce even close to the amount of good pros as most every other major college program, so why would he spend a ton of time talking about Hawaii players (who play in an inferior devision), when there are hundreds of players who play in top flight divisions?

Which Hawaii players did he discuss last year and when?  I actually listened to him talk about Hawaii players.  Did you?  Doesn't sound like it

I did not have Brennan going in the first round.  He was a first round talent, but I did not think he would be drafted in the first round.  (He would have had he come out in 2007.)  But what does that have to do with Mayoc not having a clue? 

You couldn't be more wrong about Bess.  You really are like any number of people have a set opinion about players based on whatever conference they play in, but don't actually watch them play.  Pretty hard to judge a player's talent without actually watching them, don't you think?  For you to call Bess nothing special just proves (1) you haven't watched him play and (2) you have that "big conference" bias.

Who cares if Brennon had a terrible Senior Bowl?  Plenty of players have bad games.  What did he throw, about ten passes or less in that game?  Big deal.  Ryan sucked in a number of games, but that didn't diminish his talent, potential, etc.  (I was actually wrong about him.  Thought he was overrated.)

You really don't know much about the UH program.  We obviously don't put as many players in the pros as USC, but over the past 10 years UH has done an outstanding job.  For example, did you know Samson Satele has been the Dolphins starting center since his rookie season?  Did you know FB Reagan Mauia started for the Dolphins as a rookie (has since been cut)?  Did you know DE Travis LaBoy, the WAC defensive player of the year a few years ago, starts for the Cardinals?  Did you know about Isaac Sopoaga, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Vince Manuwai, Jeff Ulbrich, etc., etc.?  (I think the answers are probably "no.").   

Is that the total of Hawaii players starting in the NFL over ten years?  Times that by 10 and you have the average from most major football programs.
Here is something you'll never get from Mayoc (about DE David Veikune):

David Veikune/DE/Hawaii: Veikune has worked hard the past two days and improved his game. The former Warrior was tenacious in run defense and also flew off the edge as a pass rusher. Several of his battles against top-rated left tackle Michael Oher ended up in his favor. In one instance he had the potential first-round pick twisted like a pretzel as Oher failed to protect the quarterback from Veikune's speed.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/index.html

Hawaii DE prospect David Veikune may not get the publicity some of the other defensive linemen here receive, but during one-on-one drills today he was downright dominant. He possesses a much better first step than scouts give him credit for, with the body control and athleticism to side-step blocks and counter inside. He abused Florida tackle Jason Watkins on two separate occasions. He has a type of blue-collar feel to him and showcases the ability to not only dip his shoulder around the edge but get his hands inside and bull-rush the tackle into the QB’s lap.
I can pretty much tell you which players from UH will play in the pros every year.  I was right about most of them last year.  And I'll tell you right now who will get drafted and who is on the bubble

DE David Veikune:  drafted on day 1 or early on day 2.
DB Ryan Mouton:  drafted on day 2, or day 1 if he runs a fast 40 at the combine.
LS Jake Ingram:  drafted on day 2.  Considered the best long snapper in the country.
LB Solomon Elimimian:  bubble.  If he gets a late combine invite, he could slip into the bottom half of the draft.  Otherwise, he's a FA
LB Adam Leonard:  FA.  Will get into camp and have a good shot to make an NFL team.
DT Josh Leonard:  FA.  Will get into camp and could make an NFL roster. 

body88

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
Which Hawaii players did he discuss last year and when?  I actually listened to him talk about Hawaii players.  Did you?  Doesn't sound like it

He talked about Brennen and how he was not a first round talent.  Did you watch every second of the NFL combine on the NFLN....if you didn't I bet you missed a thing or two.

You couldn't be more wrong about Bess.  You really are like any number of people have a set opinion about players based on whatever conference they play in, but don't actually watch them play.  Pretty hard to judge a player's talent without actually watching them, don't you think?  For you to call Bess nothing special just proves (1) you haven't watched him play and (2) you have that "big conference" bias.
Bess plays in the AFC east.  The Patriots play in the AFC east.  I bet I watch Bess more than you.  He's good but not special.  Again, Special is Wes Welker...Special is Roddy White....Randy Moss....Special is Reggie Wayne.  Bess is not special, he's average. Frankly, I think the slot guy on the Bills is better.

Who cares if Brennon had a terrible Senior Bowl?  Plenty of players have bad games.  What did he throw, about ten passes or less in that game?  Big deal.  Ryan sucked in a number of games, but that didn't diminish his talent, potential, etc.  (I was actually wrong about him.  Thought he was overrated.)

Ryan is on a differnt level than Brennen.  Why do you think Brennen is so good?  Played in he Wac, had a terrible senior bowl, and a poor combine.

You really don't know much about the UH program.  We obviously don't put as many players in the pros as USC, but over the past 10 years UH has done an outstanding job.  For example, did you know Samson Satele has been the Dolphins starting center since his rookie season?  Did you know FB Reagan Mauia started for the Dolphins as a rookie (has since been cut)?  Did you know DE Travis LaBoy, the WAC defensive player of the year a few years ago, starts for the Cardinals?  Did you know about Isaac Sopoaga, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Vince Manuwai, Jeff Ulbrich, etc., etc.?  (I think the answers are probably "no.").

How many players over the last ten years.  Lets compare to other programs.

David Veikune/DE/Hawaii: Veikune has worked hard the past two days and improved his game. The former Warrior was tenacious in run defense and also flew off the edge as a pass rusher. Several of his battles against top-rated left tackle Michael Oher ended up in his favor. In one instance he had the potential first-round pick twisted like a pretzel as Oher failed to protect the quarterback from Veikune's speed.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/index.html

Hawaii DE prospect David Veikune may not get the publicity some of the other defensive linemen here receive, but during one-on-one drills today he was downright dominant. He possesses a much better first step than scouts give him credit for, with the body control and athleticism to side-step blocks and counter inside. He abused Florida tackle Jason Watkins on two separate occasions. He has a type of blue-collar feel to him and showcases the ability to not only dip his shoulder around the edge but get his hands inside and bull-rush the tackle into the QB’s lap.
Lets compare this guy to Mayoc.  Mayoc has a better track record.

DE David Veikune:  drafted on day 1 or early on day 2.
DB Ryan Mouton:  drafted on day 2, or day 1 if he runs a fast 40 at the combine.
LS Jake Ingram:  drafted on day 2.  Considered the best long snapper in the country.
LB Solomon Elimimian:  bubble.  If he gets a late combine invite, he could slip into the bottom half of the draft.  Otherwise, he's a FA
LB Adam Leonard:  FA.  Will get into camp and have a good shot to make an NFL team.
DT Josh Leonard:  FA.  Will get into camp and could make an NFL roster. 

Thats not impressive,imo.  Looks like a bunch of late round pics.

Btw, you did Say Brennen would go in the first round.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »
i'm a draft/combine nerd. But i hold off until it actually draws near.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »

He talked about Brennen and how he was not a first round talent.  Did you watch every second of the NFL combine on the NFLN....if you didn't I bet you missed a thing or two.
Bess plays in the AFC east.  The Patriots play in the AFC east.  I bet I watch Bess more than you.  He's good but not special.  Again, Special is Wes Welker...Special is Roddy White....Randy Moss....Special is Reggie Wayne.  Bess is not special, he's average. Frankly, I think the slot guy on the Bills is better.

Ryan is on a differnt level than Brennen.  Why do you think Brennen is so good?  Played in he Wac, had a terrible senior bowl, and a poor combine.

How many players over the last ten years.  Lets compare to other programs.

Lets compare this guy to Mayoc.  Mayoc has a better track record.

Thats not impressive,imo.  Looks like a bunch of late round pics.

Btw, you did Say Brennen would go in the first round.

I did not say Brennan would go in the first.  Absolutely wrong.  Quote me.  He should have gone in the first, but I knew his stock fell after his junior year.  He would have been the third QB taken had he come out in 07.  

Mayoc didn't even watch Brennan at the combine.  He gave some opinions without ever having watched him play.  Incredible.  Clueless.  It's his job to know about all NFL prospects, particularly those invited to the combine.  

If you are saying Brennan had bad combine, then I know for a fact you didn't watch him (just like Mayoc).  Colt had a great combine:

Colt Brennan 100 percent accurate in NFL drills

By Stephen Tsai
Advertiser Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS — Former University of Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan completed 20 of 21 of his passes during drills today at the NFL Scouting Combine in the RCA Dome.

Brennan was given a 100-percent accuracy mark because his lone incompletion was a chest-high pass that ricocheted off Kansas wideout Marcus Henry's hands.

Brennan, UH's record-setting quarterback who guided the Warriors to a 12-0 regular season and their first berth in the Sugar Bowl, showed arm strength (
. . . .

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2008/Feb/24/br/hawaii80224018.html

He was the most accurate QB in NCAA history.  Passed for more TDs than any QB in NCAA history (in only three years).  Harrell broke his TD record this year on about 450 more attempts.  He outplayed every other NFL rookie QB in the preseason.  The guy was/is a stud.  Everyone who watched him play was impressed.  Here is what Georgia's head coach had to say:

“If he (Brennan) was inserted into certain (SEC) teams that might have struggled at the position, he would have won them a championship,” Richt said. “The guy is a great quarterback.’"  http://coltbrennanblog.com/category/quotes-about-colt/

I could pull about ten quotes like that from different head coaches (Dennis Erickson, Purdue's coach, Boise's coach, Coach McMackin, etc.).  Don't forget he was a Heisman finalist.    

Sorry, but you are dead wrong about Bess. Rookie WRs generally don't start in the NFL.  FA rookie WRs almost never start in the NFL and lead their team in receptions in almost every game they start.  I saw every single one of Bess' 293 passes and 41 TDs in college.   So no, you haven't seen him play more than me.  This is the same kid who, despite having some of the best hands in the country, would drag the ball machine out to the field an hour before practice every day to catch passes.  He was a freshman All-American and later an AP, etc. All-American.  Miami's offensive coordinator also disagrees with you.  Here is what he said about Bess:    

"He can catch a BB in the dark," offensive coordinator Dan Henning said. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/11/29/a1b_dolphins_1130.html

You're missing the point about the UH prospects.  The job of an NFL talent evaluator/"expert" is know something about all NFL prospects, especially those at the combine.  I shouldn't know more about NFL prospects than someone who is paid to give opinions about this stuff.  

body88

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
I did not say Brennan would go in the first.  Absolutely wrong.  Quote me.  He should have gone in the first, but I knew his stock fell after his junior year.  He would have been the third QB taken had he come out in 07. 

Ok.  Not right now though, it's Friday night.  Brennen should not have gone in the first round and thats why he didn't.  Infact, he didn't go until the sixth round.  This is a QB who was in the spotlight for years.  Not a Brady situation where he did not play much.  32 teams dont agree with you.  32 teams with a TON of flim.  GM's saw him.

Mayoc didn't even watch Brennan at the combine.  He gave some opinions without ever having watched him play.  Incredible.  Clueless.  It's his job to know about all NFL prospects, particularly those invited to the combine.  If you are saying Brennan had bad combine, then I know for a fact you didn't watch him (just like Mayoc).  Colt had a great combine:
Brennen had an good test at the combine.  Again, he was not drafted until the SIXTH ROUND....scouts saw him at the combine and realized his poor mechanics and how he would not translate well to the NFL.  If Brennen had an awesome combine I would think he would go before the sixth round.

Again, your anger that Mayoc does not care about a team that plays in an inferior conference is clouding your judgment.  Mayoc has a stellar track record. Look it up.  There are thousands of college players.  Mayock does a great job.  He knew about a back from UMASS.  Maybe he felt that the players from Hawaii where not special for whatever reason.

He was the most accurate QB in NCAA history.  Passed for more TDs than any QB in NCAA history (in only three years).  Harrell broke his TD record this year on about 450 more attempts.  He outplayed every other NFL rookie QB in the preseason.  The guy was/is a stud.  Everyone who watched him play was impressed.  Here is what Georgia's head coach had to say:
  He played in the WAC.  Got owned in a big bowl game by the Dawgs and he was drafted in the sixth round.  He throws sidearm...when has that ever worked?

Sorry, but you are dead wrong about Bess. Rookie WRs generally don't start in the NFL.  FA rookie WRs almost never start in the NFL and lead their team in receptions in almost every game they start.  I saw every single one of Bess' 293 passes and 41 TDs in college.   So no, you haven't seen him play more than me.  This is the same kid who, despite having some of the best hands in the country, would drag the ball machine out to the field an hour before practice every day to catch passes.  He was a freshman All-American and later an AP, etc. All-American.  Miami's offensive coordinator also disagrees with you.  Here is what he said about Bess: 

What Bess did in college means shit now.  He is in the NFL and I watched him play many times with the Dolphins.  I watched him play vs the pats patch work secondary. Again, he is not special, he's a good/average NFL slot guy.  Special is Wes Welker, Moss, Wayne or Fitzgerald.  I would take Perish over Bess all day.

Lastly I find your logic funny.  You post a coordinators opinion of Bess as law, yet you ignore that 32 coordinators, gm's and coaches thought that Colt Brennen (the guy you said should have went in the first round) was nothing but a sixth round talent.

You're missing the point about the UH prospects.  The job of an NFL talent evaluator/"expert" is know something about all NFL prospects, especially those at the combine.  I shouldn't know more about NFL prospects than someone who is paid to give opinions about this stuff. 
Ok.  But it only counts when its in your favor.  All the experts felt that Brennen was a sixth round talent, but you say he is a first round talent.

Lastly, your point about UH players is not impressive.  Over the last ten years most major colleges and universities have provided the NFL with x5 - x10 times more players than UH. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »

Ok.  Not right now though, it's Friday night.  Brennen should not have gone in the first round and thats why he didn't.  Infact, he didn't go until the sixth round.  This is a QB who was in the spotlight for years.  Not a Brady situation where he did not play much.  32 teams dont agree with you.  32 teams with a TON of flim.  GM's saw him.

Brennen had an good test at the combine.  Again, he was not drafted until the SIXTH ROUND....scouts saw him at the combine and realized his poor mechanics and how he would not translate well to the NFL.  If Brennen had an awesome combine I would think he would go before the sixth round.

Again, your anger that Mayoc does not care about a team that plays in an inferior conference is clouding your judgment.  Mayoc has a stellar track record. Look it up.  There are thousands of college players.  Mayock does a great job.  He knew about a back from UMASS.  Maybe he felt that the players from Hawaii where not special for whatever reason.
  He played in the WAC.  Got owned in a big bowl game by the Dawgs and he was drafted in the sixth round.  He throws sidearm...when has that ever worked?

What Bess did in college means shit now.  He is in the NFL and I watched him play many times with the Dolphins.  I watched him play vs the pats patch work secondary. Again, he is not special, he's a good/average NFL slot guy.  Special is Wes Welker, Moss, Wayne or Fitzgerald.  I would take Perish over Bess all day.

Lastly I find your logic funny.  You post a coordinators opinion of Bess as law, yet you ignore that 32 coordinators, gm's and coaches thought that Colt Brennen (the guy you said should have went in the first round) was nothing but a sixth round talent.

Ok.  But it only counts when its in your favor.  All the experts felt that Brennen was a sixth round talent, but you say he is a first round talent.

Lastly, your point about UH players is not impressive.  Over the last ten years most major colleges and universities have provided the NFL with x5 - x10 times more players than UH. 

The same GMs who passed on Colt also passed on Brady until the sixth round, didn't draft Kurt Warner, passed on Tony Romo, took Terrell Davis in the sixth round, etc.  Sorry.  Bad example. 

Dude.  You said Colt had a bad combine.  That's completely untrue.  He had a very impressive combine.  I just gave you an excerpt. 

I'm not angry with Mayoc.  I just keep his comments in perspective.  As I said, he is well informed about the players he chooses to follow.  I bet he didn't have Ikaika Alama-Francis going in the second round a couple years ago.  I did.   :)

Mel Kiper, who I have issues with, is head and shoulders more informed than Mayoc. 

Colt played in the WAC.  Big friggin deal.  What did he do to Purdue, Arizona State, and Alabama?  He dropped nearly 700 yards of offense on Purdue, 5 TDs passes on ASU, and 300 yards at Alabama (more than any other visiting QB that year).  Plus, you didn't watch him play, which makes your opinion pretty uninformed. 

I knew giving you the Richt quote was a waste of time.  lol.  Want to hear what Coach Mac and June Jones have to say?   :)

What Bess did in college means quite a bit if you're trying to form an opinion about him and his abilities.  When you combine that with Bill Parcells bringing him on board in the NFL, his head coach starting him in the NFL, his offensive coordinator saying he can catch a BB in the dark, and leading his team in receiving in nearly every start as a rookie, I think you have pretty solid evidence that the kid is special. 

Your logic regarding WRs going late or undrafted is absurd body.  You know good and well good/great players slide and go undrafted all the time.  Bess had a slow 40 time, which killed his draft prospects.  That's it. 

I could care less whether bigger schools have had more players drafted than UH.  They should.  The four and five star recruits go there every year.  But what UH has done with a $60,000 recruiting budget in the middle of the ocean is just remarkable.

And again, that’s not the point.  The point is UH puts very good players in the NFL almost every year, and if you’re a “draft expert,” you should know about those players before they’re drafted.   

In any event, why don't we compare the number or UH players in the NFL with Boston College the past ten years.  I'll give you my list, but you first.   :)

body88

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
The same GMs who passed on Colt also passed on Brady until the sixth round, didn't draft Kurt Warner, passed on Tony Romo, took Terrell Davis in the sixth round, etc.  Sorry.  Bad example

Bad example on your part you mean.  Again, there is a ton of film out there on Brennen.  He was in the Heismen race for two years!  Those same gm's drafted Big Ben, Flacco, Rivers, Ryan, Quinn, P Manning, E Manning, Edwards, Palmer and many others over the last ten years.  Guys like Brady and Warner are very rare.   

Dude.  You said Colt had a bad combine.  That's completely untrue.  He had a very impressive combine.  I just gave you an excerpt. 

You act as if some qoute from a random writer is law.  If Colt Brennen had such a great combine, why was he drafted in the SIXTH ROUND?

Mel Kiper, who I have issues with, is head and shoulders more informed than Mayoc.

Back that up with stats and facts. Lets see a comparison.  Thats simply untrue....Kiper is horrible.  Look at his pics.

Colt played in the WAC.  Big friggin deal.  What did he do to Purdue, Arizona State, and Alabama?  He dropped nearly 700 yards of offense on Purdue, 5 TDs passes on ASU, and 300 yards at Alabama (more than any other visiting QB that year).  Plus, you didn't watch him play, which makes your opinion pretty uninformed. 

I watched him and his whole team get smashed by Goergia.  Totally outclassed and outmatched....it was bad.

I knew giving you the Richt quote was a waste of time.  lol.  Want to hear what Coach Mac and June Jones have to say?   

What Bess did in college means quite a bit if you're trying to form an opinion about him and his abilities.  When you combine that with Bill Parcells bringing him on board in the NFL, his head coach starting him in the NFL, his offensive coordinator saying he can catch a BB in the dark, and leading his team in receiving in nearly every start as a rookie, I think you have pretty solid evidence that the kid is special. 

Your logic regarding WRs going late or undrafted is absurd body.  You know good and well good/great players slide and go undrafted all the time.  Bess had a slow 40 time, which killed his draft prospects.  That's it. 

I respect your opinion but I simply do not agree.  Bess is not special.  I watched him vs the pats twice, and I would take Perish over him all day.  Welker is special, Fitz is special...etc.  Bess is a good player.  There are a lot of guys in the NFL like Bess. 

I could care less whether bigger schools have had more players drafted than UH.  They should.  The four and five star recruits go there every year.  But what UH has done with a $60,000 recruiting budget in the middle of the ocean is just remarkable.

I have always told you that I respected what UH does, but I am not impressed by it enough to get upset when national guys dont talk about their players.

And again, that’s not the point.  The point is UH puts very good players in the NFL almost every year, and if you’re a “draft expert,” you should know about those players before they’re drafted.   

In any event, why don't we compare the number or UH players in the NFL with Boston College the past ten years.  I'll give you my list, but you first

Ok.  But not tonight.....I'm heading out.  Btw, BC has the highest acedemic standards in the NCAA.  That's not a very good comparison to UH.  No offense but BC is much tougher than UH.  Maybe we can look at a more comparable "major" program.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
Bad example on your part you mean.  Again, there is a ton of film out there on Brennen.  He was in the Heismen race for two years!  Those same gm's drafted Big Ben, Flacco, Rivers, Ryan, Quinn, P Manning, E Manning, Edwards, Palmer and many others over the last ten years.  Guys like Brady and Warner are very rare.   

You act as if some qoute from a random writer is law.  If Colt Brennen had such a great combine, why was he drafted in the SIXTH ROUND?

Back that up with stats and facts. Lets see a comparison.  Thats simply untrue....Kiper is horrible.  Look at his pics.

I watched him and his whole team get smashed by Goergia.  Totally outclassed and outmatched....it was bad.

I respect your opinion but I simply do not agree.  Bess is not special.  I watched him vs the pats twice, and I would take Perish over him all day.  Welker is special, Fitz is special...etc.  Bess is a good player.  There are a lot of guys in the NFL like Bess. 

I have always told you that I respected what UH does, but I am not impressed by it enough to get upset when national guys dont talk about their players.

Ok.  But not tonight.....I'm heading out.  Btw, BC has the highest acedemic standards in the NCAA.  That's not a very good comparison to UH.  No offense but BC is much tougher than UH.  Maybe we can look at a more comparable "major" program.

There is a ton of film on every Division I football player.  GMs pass on good/great players all the time.  That really makes no sense. 

I didn't post a quote from a random writer.  I posted results of Colt's combine skill test, which directly contradicts your contention that he had bad combine. 

Why didn't you address Richt's comments about Colt?  (Because it conflicts with your preconceived opinion would be my guess.)   

I have listened to Kiper and I have listened to Mayoc.  Kiper can talk about every Division I and IA and probably Division II, III, and NAIA player.  He's an encyclopedia.  Mayoc can give you a handful of players from a handful of "BCS" schools.  No comparison.

Oh brother.  You watched UH get drubbed by Georgia.  So what.  Did you watch Colt and UH nearly beat Alabama on the road?  Did you watch him throw 5 TDs in one half against ASU?  Did you watch him tear up Purdue?  And just to keep things in perspective, I watched Ryan play a couple times and he stunk.  All that means is I didn’t see his better performances.   

We will have to agree to disagree about Bess.  There are not a lot of rookie NFL FA WRs who have started in the NFL.  I bet you can't name 5 in the last 10 years.  I can't (off the top of my head). 

I'm not upset about Mayoc.  I'm just talking about how clueless he is outside of his comfort zone. 

Nice excuse about BC.   :)  I doubt BC's admissions standards are any tougher than Notre Dame, Cal, Penn State, Northwestern, and any number of other “BCS” schools with high academic standards.  Besides, it's a "BCS" school.  And whatever disadvantage they have regarding admissions is matched by the geographic and funding limitations at UH.  You're a fan.  I'm UH fan and season ticket holder.  Let's do a comparison. 

Be back on Monday.  Have a good weekend. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 05:43:42 AM »
Uhhhmmm.ok :-\

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 05:59:16 AM »
All the draft boards have the G-men going either LB or DE in the first WR in the second.

body88

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »
All the draft boards have the G-men going either LB or DE in the first WR in the second.

Expect them to do the opposite : )

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »

Expect them to do the opposite : )

Haha ;D

I would expect a LB somewhere early.they need help there.the youngsters can't seem to stay healthy or cant break into the starting lineup.

WR all depends on if the Plaxico mess is cleared up.his court date is in March.
I would very surprised if they went the trade route for a WR.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
If life was perfect then Chicago will get CRABTREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!