Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 753722 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Industry News & Notes:
« Reply #1650 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
tna's jesse sorensen released from hospital broken neck caused by a guy jumping out of ring on him.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1651 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
I watched it a few times. I thought Ziggler was the guy that got hurt. If it was the Big Shows fault can you explain what he did wrong? Was it just a bad shot or were the guys on the outside not ready yet? I saw the look on Shows face after the chuck and he knew it was sour.

I didn't see it; I'm only going by what was written here.
As with most moves, there is a proper way to give AND take it.
But, I really can't say who the recourse should lay with without seeing the footage.

Nonetheless, I just remember throwing a guy out of a ring and landing from the throw being taught to us in one of our earliest classes.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1652 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:27 AM »

I didn't see it; I'm only going by what was written here.
As with most moves, there is a proper way to give AND take it.
But, I really can't say who the recourse should lay with without seeing the footage.

Nonetheless, I just remember throwing a guy out of a ring and landing from the throw being taught to us in one of our earliest classes.
the announce table was close by barrett and another wrestler were supposed to break {catch} zigglers fall. big slow threw ziggler  way too high causing excessive out of control contact to the announcers table. had barrett not done what he did ziggler probably would have been injured.
F

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1653 on: February 25, 2012, 08:25:25 AM »
Observer:
--Regarding the New Jack fight with Brian Knobbs story, this is how it was related to me. After a show last night in Largo, FL at Gasoline Alley, Knobbs came into the dressing room and was giving a lot of the wrestlers an earful about how they didn't know how to work and didn't get it. Knobbs then specifically told that to New Jack, saying that New Jack didn't know how to wrestle. New Jack then punched Knobbs in the face, knocking him into the wall. Knobbs then came back and pulled New Jack to the ground, but New Jack got up from the ground a lot faster than Knobbs, and when Knobbs was down, he kicked him in the face, knocking him out in front of everyone. I'm sure more versions will surface from other eye witnesses in the next few days.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1654 on: February 25, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
the announce table was close by barrett and another wrestler were supposed to break {catch} zigglers fall. big slow threw ziggler  way too high causing excessive out of control contact to the announcers table. had barrett not done what he did ziggler probably would have been injured.

Okay.
Not much you can do in that case.
I wonder if Show got any kind of heat from management for this.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1655 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
Observer:
--Regarding the New Jack fight with Brian Knobbs story, this is how it was related to me. After a show last night in Largo, FL at Gasoline Alley, Knobbs came into the dressing room and was giving a lot of the wrestlers an earful about how they didn't know how to work and didn't get it. Knobbs then specifically told that to New Jack, saying that New Jack didn't know how to wrestle. New Jack then punched Knobbs in the face, knocking him into the wall. Knobbs then came back and pulled New Jack to the ground, but New Jack got up from the ground a lot faster than Knobbs, and when Knobbs was down, he kicked him in the face, knocking him out in front of everyone. I'm sure more versions will surface from other eye witnesses in the next few days.

I've never heard anything really flattering about either of these guys.
I met New Jack a number of times; I never had a problem with him, but I didn't care for him, either.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1656 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
wrestlezone:
During a new interview conducted for WISX FM in Philadelphia, PA, WWE Champion CM Punk had the following to say during a Q & A when asked who is least favorite opponent is:

"Good question. I always get who's your favorite opponent. This is great because I enjoy talking trash My least favorite opponent; does anyone even remember Elijah Burke [aka The Pope D'Angelo Dinero in TNA]? Oh he was terrible. He is absolutely the worst. He is absolutely the worst. Talk about a diva. Man oh man, sorry if you liked him."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1657 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
WZ has learned this evening that Vince McMahon has stressed safety to all talents who will be working with John Cena from now until WrestleMania 28.

There have been a slew of recent injuries suffered by the talent, some more severe than others, as we have been reporting. Randy Orton, Mark Henry, and most recently Wade Barrett, who will be out past WrestleMania, have all suffered some type of injury during competition. This is in addition to the close call injuries such as R-Truth's missed spot with The Miz a few weeks ago and Dolph Ziggler being medically tended to after last week's Raw battle royal.

McMahon has ordered any talents who work with John Cena not to take any "unneeded" risks in the match. McMahon is putting the weight of WrestleMania 28's success on the shoulders of John Cena and The Rock. The Rock won't be wrestling any matches between now and WrestleMania, which has forced the Chairman to make it a point to the entire roster to work as safe as possible with Cena.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1658 on: February 28, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- Brian Kendrick has been removed from TNA Wrestling's roster page on ImpactWrestling.com. This would indicate that he has parted ways with the company

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1659 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
http://blogs.thescore.com/wwe/2012/02/28/aftermath-radio-interviews-big-van-vader/

Arda Ocal and Jimmy Korderas of Aftermath Radio chatted with former WWE and WCW star Vader. Highlights from the thirty-five minute interview are as follows:

An upcoming sumo wrestling tournament that he will be competing in in Japan: "It's the top athletes in Japan, and the winner and I hope I don't win (laughs). It's not a work, it's real life sumo wrestling, against mixed martial arts fighters, kickboxers, etc. Its the top athletes in Japan. And if you win, you go on and you fight again and again, And the winner has to fight a guy named Akebono (who faced Big Show in a Sumo Match at Wrestlemania 21). This guy is a grand champion. 6"8" 440 pounds. He's got real long arms and whoever wins is gonna get murdered by him and I hope that's not me (laughs)."

Ron Simmons being inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame: "You know this is the first I've ever heard about it. Just a fantastic guy. High quality individual, extremely strong, extremely quick. He is a good friend of mine, we had some great matches together. Congratulations to Ron, and he's gonna be a great representative for the WWE."

Whether there was a struggle in keeping the Vader character when he joined WWE in 1996: "Vince McMahon and I talked about that, what I think he really wanted to do was change the character and come up with something new. It was something I felt strong about, and we kinda butted heads about that part of the negotiations. I look back on that and thought maybe I could have done two characters, had Vader in Japan, and did The Mastodon here in America. You never know how that could have turned out."

His rivalry with Shawn Michaels that led to a match at Summerslam 1996 and whether it was discussed that he would win the WWE Championship: "Yeah there was, obviously it never happened. Shawn wasn't just over, he was like the man. In his entire career in WWE he was the star. When I got there, Shawn was the guy, boy what a worker. He could get the job done. Fluent athlete, could do anything, just period. Didn't matter what you asked him to do, he could just do it. Didn't work out for me in the WWE, but I look back at my time there, and I enjoyed it, it was a great deal"

Incident in 1997 in Kuwait where he appeared on the talk show "Good Morning Kuwait" and threatened the host when he asked him if wrestling was fake. Was he trying to protect the wrestling business?: "I never touched this guy, I physically never touched him. I wrapped my finger around his tie, and bent down and was asking. From my understanding, I was doing exactly what I was told to do period. Undertaker and myself were on the set and we were gonna wrestle that night. It was a great opportunity to promote our show, the agent told me what to do and I did it."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1660 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
wrestlezone:
In what might be an indication of how long Chris Jericho's current WWE run will last, will be staying with WWE, it was announced this morning that his band Fozzy will be playing the Download Festival in The UK in June. Most bands that play Download usually do the whole European festival circuit which is from June until the end of August, however that has not been confirmed for Fozzy.

Editor's Note: Other reports on Jericho are noting that he and Fozzy are set to return to the studio in the near future to begin work on the band's next studio album. As of now, WWE is still advertising Chris Jericho over at WWE.com for live events after WrestleMania.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1661 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
gerweck.net

The Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon only drew 9,000 fans for the Rock’s return on Monday night, and this was the first time Rock had ever appeared on a wrestling show in the city.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1662 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
pwinsider:

– The Undertaker’s time away from the ring has included surgeries on both his shoulder and hip. He was lighter than ever before when he showed up backstage at last week’s Raw SuperShow, estimated at 275 to 280 pounds. The belief that he would retire following his WrestleMania XXVIII encounter with Triple H is largely gone since it’s not being hinted. Peers expect him to continue wrestling for a few more years if he’s able to compete once annually.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1663 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
pwtorch:
Veteran ROH tag team wrestlers Jay and Mark Briscoe were not blocked from signing with WWE as originally reported earlier. Instead, WWE showed interest in The Briscoes, but found out they were bound by their ROH contracts. 

The report seems to go against what ROH COO Joe Koff said in a recent interview  insisting that ROH would not get in the way of a talent moving to a "bigger stage," while comparing ROH to a minor league baseball team that cultivates talent.

"To some people, ROH is the first stop. I'd like to believe our guys are content to wrestle with the ROH brand, strategy, and work, but I wouldn't want to stop them if WWE came calling. That is the pinnacle. This is no different than working AAA ball and the Big Show (Major League Baseball) calls them," Koff said in January.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1664 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:40 AM »
pwtorch:

The New York Post reported on WWE's woes attempting to get WWE Network off the ground, and included quotes from cable TV executives questioning whether the Network initiative is the right move for WWE.

The Post cited sources that say WWE has "yet to strike a single deal with a cable or satellite TV provider to carry its own cable channel." The other issues are WWE's inability to hire high-ranking executives to manage the Network and WWE's content having a narrow appeal.

“WWE has the programming and marketing muscle, but they just have no one with cable experience who can execute for them,” said one cable executive.

“Given the content issues, I think a whole channel would be a stretch,” said Gerri Donini, senior vice president broadcast at media-buying shop R.J. Palmer. “It is very limited in who it reaches.”
The Post also reported WWE is "expected to hire" 200 employees specific to the Network. WWE CFO George Barrios said in the quarterly conference call with investors that WWE has hired 40-45 employees.

The report cites information from WWE's fourth quarter 2011 earnings results, which saw WWE take a rare quarterly loss mainly because of initial Network expenses and the company's other project, WWE Studios.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1665 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
pwinsider:

ALL TIME GREAT INDICATES HE IS FINALLY DONE IN THE RING
by Mike Johnson @ 4:14 PM on 2/29/2012

As I wrote yesterday in the PWInsider.com Elite section, former NWA and ECW World champion Terry Funk is undergoing a second knee replacement shortly. Our best to him.
Funk has been telling those close to him that the surgery will indeed mean the end of his in-ring career, but we will see if that's ever truly the case. This is the guy who retired in the 80s, twice...then the 90s...and so on.

As it stands, Funk's last match was the Jerry Lawler bout for Northeast Wrestling a few months ago in Poughkeepsie, NY, which was a hell of a fun brawl.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1666 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
Oh dear me, someones getting fired for this! WWE's website has a new feature, "Bring it back", which was focusing on props the guys used back in the day (remember Head?!) Well one feature was Macho Kings sceptre however in the picture caption Savage was listed as a HOFer! Either someone just blew a huge surprise or made the mother of all assumptions...........  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1667 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
...in the picture caption Savage was listed as a HOFer! Either someone just blew a huge surprise or made the mother of all assumptions...

It's quite possible this is an unintentional spoiler.
Although, I've also heard "hall of famer" used as a generic adjective when discussing a heralded figure - not pertaining to any actual/physical HOF.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1668 on: March 03, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
F4W:

There are reports circulating online that former WWF star Doug Furnas passed away in his sleep Friday night. He was 50 years old.

The first report is from David Haskins, a Tennessee based wrestler. He said he received the information from Doug's brother Mike Furnas, who was also a wrestler.

Furnas was a college football player at the University of Tennessee who became one of the greatest powerlifters of all-time as he broke more than two dozen world records. He crossed over to professional wrestling in 1986 with Knoxville, Tennessee based promotion Continental Championship Wrestling, which led him to a career all over the world. Furnas was a fixture in All Japan Pro Wrestling with Phil Lafon (a/k/a Dan Kroffat) and the two were considered one of the best tag teams of the 1990s. Their supreme talent led to employment with the World Wrestling Federation and Extreme Championship Wrestling in the late 1990s. Furnas also worked for World Championship Wrestling in 1990 as a singles competitor.

Furnas had battled Parkinson's disease for a number of years. The degenerative disorder forced him to retire in 2000.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1669 on: March 03, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
LOP:

"The Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino appeared on Busted Open with Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca, which airs Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Sirius 92 and XM 207. Highlights from his interview are as follows:

The WWE Hall of Fame and Vince McMahon: "Okay, first of all, let’s talk about the Hall of Fame. You see what people don’t understand about this Hall of Fame, they say that I’m being stubborn now. That’s not true. The first year he came out with the Hall of Fame, they totally ignored me like I didn’t exist. They named certain people—I don’t even remember who they inducted first—but they got these people. I was never even mentioned because that was McMahon—in my opinion—that was his way of showing me that “you don’t mean nothing to us” or “you’re out, you’re finished, you’re a has-been”. OK. But what happened was, it backfired on him because people called, wrote in, all kinds of stuff like “how the heck could you call that Hall of Fame? Here’s a guy who’s World Champion for almost twelve years. Sold out the Garden more times than all these blah blah blah, and he’s not in Hall of Fame…” It was because I guess he didn’t expect that kind of reaction.

"And after that a few years later, his attorney contacted me (Jerry McDevitt) and tried to talk me to go into it, and I said no, that I was not interested in it. I said first of all because I don’t believe I had part of that part of the wrestling. I was in the WWWF, not the WWF that he had which he transformed into something completely different from the wrestling that I had been involved with, number one. And I said so I don’t want no part of that Hall of Fame. And then also because,, when people say to me—the few, because most people understood me—but those who didn’t, I would ask them, I’d say “If you ‘re gonna go to this Hall of Fame, would you want to take your kids or whatever, tell me, where do you take ‘them?” I said, don’t you get it? This is strictly a marketing gimmick; this is no Hall of Fame! Where’s the building? Where’s the place that people can go to and see, what? And where does a guy like—eh, what’s his name—[Drew] Carey, a show host belonging to a wrestling Hall of Fame, or Refrigerator Perry or Pete Rose or Bob Uecker… These guys were all great guys and I’m not against any of them. They were all great at what they did, but what do they have to do with wrestling? So to me, I’d be embarrassed! I wouldn’t want any part of that kind of a “Hall of Fame”. And as far as McMahon and I…repairing our relationship, I don’t think it’s possible. I made it myself very very clear from the beginning: I totally disagree and went against what’s he done to wrestling. "

Posted in: News
Sammartino On Hogan & Flair Still Wrestling, Not Entering WWE Hall of Fame
By Daniel Pena
Mar 3, 2012 - 11:44:48 AM

"The Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino appeared on Busted Open with Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca, which airs Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Sirius 92 and XM 207. Highlights from his interview are as follows:

The WWE Hall of Fame and Vince McMahon: "Okay, first of all, let’s talk about the Hall of Fame. You see what people don’t understand about this Hall of Fame, they say that I’m being stubborn now. That’s not true. The first year he came out with the Hall of Fame, they totally ignored me like I didn’t exist. They named certain people—I don’t even remember who they inducted first—but they got these people. I was never even mentioned because that was McMahon—in my opinion—that was his way of showing me that “you don’t mean nothing to us” or “you’re out, you’re finished, you’re a has-been”. OK. But what happened was, it backfired on him because people called, wrote in, all kinds of stuff like “how the heck could you call that Hall of Fame? Here’s a guy who’s World Champion for almost twelve years. Sold out the Garden more times than all these blah blah blah, and he’s not in Hall of Fame…” It was because I guess he didn’t expect that kind of reaction.

"And after that a few years later, his attorney contacted me (Jerry McDevitt) and tried to talk me to go into it, and I said no, that I was not interested in it. I said first of all because I don’t believe I had part of that part of the wrestling. I was in the WWWF, not the WWF that he had which he transformed into something completely different from the wrestling that I had been involved with, number one. And I said so I don’t want no part of that Hall of Fame. And then also because,, when people say to me—the few, because most people understood me—but those who didn’t, I would ask them, I’d say “If you ‘re gonna go to this Hall of Fame, would you want to take your kids or whatever, tell me, where do you take ‘them?” I said, don’t you get it? This is strictly a marketing gimmick; this is no Hall of Fame! Where’s the building? Where’s the place that people can go to and see, what? And where does a guy like—eh, what’s his name—[Drew] Carey, a show host belonging to a wrestling Hall of Fame, or Refrigerator Perry or Pete Rose or Bob Uecker… These guys were all great guys and I’m not against any of them. They were all great at what they did, but what do they have to do with wrestling? So to me, I’d be embarrassed! I wouldn’t want any part of that kind of a “Hall of Fame”. And as far as McMahon and I…repairing our relationship, I don’t think it’s possible. I made it myself very very clear from the beginning: I totally disagree and went against what’s he done to wrestling. "

Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan still wrestling: "Nah, I find it almost disgusting. Let me tell you something real quickly: When I was wrestling, I made a promise to myself that I would get out of that and retire, regardless whether I could afford to or not. When I didn’t feel that I could be on top anymore. In other words, where I wasn’t getting the job done, where I wasn’t drawing the crowds, and so forth. And I always paid close attention to every place I wrestled to see what the crowds wants and so forth. And I wanted to get out before it got bad, and I did. When I got out, we were selling out everywhere. I’m sure you’re familiar with the program I did with Larry Zbyszko; we sold out everything. And that’s when I retired. I retired right after that, that’s where I wanted to go out. This guy should have been out twenty years ago. To me it’s a shame, it’s a disgrace, no self-respect, no shame, no nothing, because—he should be ashamed!—because he looks like hell and he just don’t belong! He just don’t belong. [Hulk] Hogan’s the same thing for god’s sakes! Recently in England he had the audacity to say that he drew the house in Shea Stadium where Zbyszko and I sold out! (Zybszko and I, we sell out everywhere!) He was on the card, he takes credit for that house. Yet, he and André [the Giant], right after that show they went to, uh—what’s that arena in White Plains, New York—it’s holds four thousand, they only drew eleven hundred people. But as far as wrestling, like I said, he stunk then and he still has the audacity to go in the ring today once in a while. I don’t understand it, why these guys do that. I’m sure financially they must be okay ‘cause they were in it when the big money came into it. So I don’t know if they have no shame or what. But to watch these guys… I never watch wrestling, but I watched a couple times because friends call me up and say, hey you wanna see Hogan he’s gonna be in the ring, or Flair. And I look and I shake my head and I say, My god these people have no shame, no self-respect, no pride, nothing’."

Kurt Angle: "Kurt Angle—we all know, right, he was an Olympian and a gold medalist—but even in the ring as he made the transition from amateur to professional, the guy can do some phenomenal, good, solid stuff. And he’s got that background so nobody can question or deny that he’s a wrestler. Yeah, I wish there were more Kurt Angles in there. And even if not in his caliber, in my day there were a lot of guys who were not Olympic champions or anything like that but they were great wrestlers in that ring. And it’s gone. They knew—as we put it—they knew how to tell a story. They knew how to make this match, if there’s gonna be a return match to where the people couldn’t wait for that return match to come. Because these were great talent, they knew what they were doing in the ring, they looked good, they weren’t a bunch of steroid freaks, but they were genuinely big guys who knew how to wrestle who were athletic. And now it’s a completely different thing. Yeah, Kurt Angle is one of the greats and too bad there aren’t more of him."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1670 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »
According to PWInsider.com, Wade Barrett underwent surgery for his dislocated elbow this week. The injury has been described as being “far worse than originally diagnosed.” Barrett is now expected to miss three to four months.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1671 on: March 05, 2012, 05:57:57 AM »
gerweck.net
WWE recently released information on Triple H’s new contract with the company:

Detailed include:

- He will be paid, “Minimum Annual Compensation” of $1 million for each year under contract.

- He is limited to 180 days a year, unless both sides agree on more dates.

- The deal runs from January 1st, 2012 through March 30th, 2016.

- In addition to a non-compete with other wrestling companies, he can not appear for any “martial arts” company while under contract.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #1672 on: March 05, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
gerweck.net
WWE recently released information on Triple H’s new contract with the company:

Detailed include:

- He will be paid, “Minimum Annual Compensation” of $1 million for each year under contract.

- He is limited to 180 days a year, unless both sides agree on more dates.

- The deal runs from January 1st, 2012 through March 30th, 2016.

- In addition to a non-compete with other wrestling companies, he can not appear for any “martial arts” company while under contract.

I thought this was interesting but I guess you have to cover all basis.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1673 on: March 06, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
gerweck.net

According to Dave Meltzer, former WWE and All Japan star Doug Furnas died from Heart Disease. Furnas’ body was badly decomposed, as the coroner couldn’t even estimate how long he had been deceased.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1674 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
TMZ.com broke the news on Wednesday morning that there is a sex tape being shopped around featuring Hulk Hogan and a brunette woman who is neither his wife Jennifer or his ex-wife Linda.

Hulk Hogan's attorney David Houston spoke to TMZ today and says Hulk Hogan was not aware he was being filmed and is appalled by this "outrageous invasion of privacy."

Houston issued the following statement to TMZ.com:

"Terry Bollea is appalled at the unauthorized release of a secretly filmed video. [Hulk] neither approved of the filming nor the release of the same. It is clearly an outrageous invasion of privacy and breach of trust if it is genuine. We will take all necessary steps to enforce both civil and criminal liability.”