Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 756970 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Industry News & Notes:
« Reply #2175 on: September 12, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
Should have hit Gall with the Go to Sleep.  ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2176 on: September 13, 2016, 07:50:59 AM »
Should have hit Gall with the Go to Sleep.  ;D
Lol....no shit eh?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2177 on: September 13, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
c m punk=500 k payday... other guy 15 k for fight plus 15 k for winning=30 total k's... who was the real loser?????
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2178 on: September 13, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
c m punk=500 k payday... other guy 15 k for fight plus 15 k for winning=30 total k's... who was the real loser?????

Good observation.

Although, I don't know that Punk will command that kind of money again after the loss. The hype is probably over.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2179 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:48 AM »

Good observation.

Although, I don't know that Punk will command that kind of money again after the loss. The hype is probably over.
You think he'll be back in the WWE Monte?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2180 on: September 15, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
You think he'll be back in the WWE Monte?

Personally, I can see him taking a stab at another MMA match.
If that doesn't work out, he'll have lost a lot of real estate value with both audiences.

UFC won't want him more, and WWE won't want him back. I think "serious" fans would see an attempt to return after failing at another venture to be a slap in the face.
Whatever he does, he'll have to make some kind of move soon to retain as much relevance as he can.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2181 on: September 15, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »

True, but it's taken 2 years of extremely tough training to earn that.  He could have earnt close to that by going to another wrestling company, topped up by making personal appearances or even getting some punditry/commentary work for a variety of sports.  But the balloon has burst with this loss, UFC are never going to pay him that much again.

Personally, I can see him taking a stab at another MMA match.

I'd agree with that, didn't he sign for more than one fight with UFC anyway?  There's still some money in him, albeit nowhere near the $500k he got for this fight.  He'll get another fight, maybe against an older veteran with a poor ground game, anything to give him some time in the ring and half a chance of winning.  If he wins that fight, then he's back on track and the interest is there again.

I have to respect his work ethic though, he's gone into an extremely tough sport, with a very low level of prior training in comparison to his opponents, and given it a shot.  He's let himself down in his performance, but he'll get back on the horse and try again.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2182 on: September 22, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
True, but it's taken 2 years of extremely tough training to earn that.  He could have earnt close to that by going to another wrestling company, topped up by making personal appearances or even getting some punditry/commentary work for a variety of sports.  But the balloon has burst with this loss, UFC are never going to pay him that much again.

I'd agree with that, didn't he sign for more than one fight with UFC anyway?  There's still some money in him, albeit nowhere near the $500k he got for this fight.  He'll get another fight, maybe against an older veteran with a poor ground game, anything to give him some time in the ring and half a chance of winning.  If he wins that fight, then he's back on track and the interest is there again.

I have to respect his work ethic though, he's gone into an extremely tough sport, with a very low level of prior training in comparison to his opponents, and given it a shot.  He's let himself down in his performance, but he'll get back on the horse and try again.
Agreed 100% here.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2183 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:32 AM »
UPDATE: According to a “veteran TNA talent,” everyone in TNA is nervous about the company’s impending sale. The situation is described as a “new level of concern” above and beyond the usual uncertainty about the company’s status.

Several wrestlers who were booked for next week’s iMPACT! tapings have had their flights and matches canceled, with the aforementioned source saying he wasn’t even sure if he would be on the Bound For Glory card because the company was trying to save as much money as possible.

ORIGINAL: Here are some new details on TNA’s potential sale, which is obviously the big story over the past several days. According to reports, Billy Corgan has a net worth of $40 million, but as Corgan told Busted Open Radio he is bidding on his own and has no investors.
 While the potential sale price of the company is not known, TNA has had enough financial trouble that Corgan becoming the new owner would not solve all of those problems. At the last iMPACT! taping, checks that were long past due were being signed, validated and distributed as TV was going on.

There aren’t any further details at this time regarding what the chances of WWE have at buying the company although as has been reported, they have been involved in bidding.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2184 on: September 29, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
So many people dismiss TNA as a glorified Indy promotion, but I disagree.
They are more than that.

At the very least, they are the last chance for a pro-wrestling product other than Vince to exist.
I'd hate to see that dissolve.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2185 on: September 29, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »
ANYBODY WATCH NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING I GET IT HERE IN NJ..SOME GOOD,FAST PACE ACTION.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2186 on: September 29, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
ANYBODY WATCH NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING I GET IT HERE IN NJ..SOME GOOD,FAST PACE ACTION.

I've only seen 80's/early-90's footage.

How would you compare it to that?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2187 on: September 29, 2016, 09:30:48 AM »

I've only seen 80's/early-90's footage.

How would you compare it to that?
DON'T KNOW THE OLD VERSION..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2188 on: September 29, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #2189 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

I watch it on AXS and I have a subscription to NJPWworld.com

I would rather watch it, than anything produced in the US (Aside from RoH... I love me some RoH)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2190 on: September 29, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
I watch it on AXS and I have a subscription to NJPWworld.com

I would rather watch it, than anything produced in the US (Aside from RoH... I love me some RoH)
yes axs tv me 2..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2191 on: October 01, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »
jamie noble stabbed in road rage incident. he cut a guy off , and when he got back to his home aka house trailer guy caught up to him . he apologized but guy flipped out and jamie pinned him to the ground but he had called two of his buddies . one of them stabbed him in the back.
F

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2192 on: October 07, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, while the company outwardly talks like ratings are no longer a reliable metric, Vince McMahon was reportedly very upset with the September 27th record low RAW rating.

The feeling in the TV industry was that the ratings that night did not matter, because everyone (including Monday Night Football) got destroyed in the ratings by the presidential debate. But WWE’s issue is that the overall Raw rating has fallen more than expected with the return of Monday Night Football, and that is with Monday Night Football ratings being down overall for the season.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2193 on: October 07, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, while the company outwardly talks like ratings are no longer a reliable metric, Vince McMahon was reportedly very upset with the September 27th record low RAW rating.

The feeling in the TV industry was that the ratings that night did not matter, because everyone (including Monday Night Football) got destroyed in the ratings by the presidential debate. But WWE’s issue is that the overall Raw rating has fallen more than expected with the return of Monday Night Football, and that is with Monday Night Football ratings being down overall for the season.

I remember when RAW LITERALLY CRUSHED MNFB in the ratings.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2194 on: October 14, 2016, 04:32:53 AM »
Mickie James is returning to wrestle the NXT women's champion.

Question for you guys, during Mickie James' run in WWE, was she supposed to be some sort of Shania Twain gimmick? I didn't watch regularly at the time but just wondering if that was her gimmick, sure seemed like it to me.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #2195 on: October 14, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
Mickie James is returning to wrestle the NXT women's champion.

Question for you guys, during Mickie James' run in WWE, was she supposed to be some sort of Shania Twain gimmick? I didn't watch regularly at the time but just wondering if that was her gimmick, sure seemed like it to me.

Biggest gimmick was the stalker one I think? Back when she was supposedly wanting to bang Trish Stratus.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2196 on: October 15, 2016, 05:56:37 AM »
Biggest gimmick was the stalker one I think? Back when she was supposedly wanting to bang Trish Stratus.
And the best part was that it was Cena and Batista who got her canned. They were both banging her and she "fell in love" with the both of them.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2197 on: October 15, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
And the best part was that it was Cena and Batista who got her canned. They were both banging her and she "fell in love" with the both of them.

Cena, then Batista...

Man, she was f*cking her way to the middle!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2198 on: October 16, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
cena is like jeter good p.r. squeaky clean image upheld at all costs...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2199 on: October 16, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »
cena is like jeter good p.r. squeaky clean image upheld at all costs...

Flair has joked several times on his podcast that the old man has Cena on a VERY short leash.